• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

bateman

Quote from: popple on March 25, 2015, 10:02:30 PM
You mean you aren't gonna make us call in and sing for them?

... Has this actually happened on Noory's Flying Circus?

astroguy

Quote from: bateman on March 25, 2015, 10:16:26 PM
... Has this actually happened on Noory's Flying Circus?
Oh yes, yes it has.  Several times.  And George will "bum, bum, bum," trying to sing along with them.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: bateman on March 25, 2015, 07:16:56 PM
Also:

3. For some reason, the publisher sent me 3 copies of this stupid book. If anyone wants one, feel free to PM your address.

Send one to Falkie, he needs a new book for his five star youtube review.

bateman

Quote from: astroguy on March 25, 2015, 10:18:02 PM
Oh yes, yes it has.  Several times.  And George will "bum, bum, bum," trying to sing along with them.

fremdschämen

1. (reflexive, informal) to feel ashamed about something someone else has done; to be embarrassed because someone else has embarrassed himself (and doesn't notice)

Quote from: WhiteCrow on March 25, 2015, 10:59:50 PM
Send one to Falkie, he needs a new book for his five star youtube review.

Heh, I have 1 left. No singing required.

astroguy

Hey folks, wanted to let'cha know that I finally wrote up my experience seeing John E. Brandenburg presenting at the science conference last week.  It has pictures!

cweb

Quote from: astroguy on March 27, 2015, 11:29:57 AM
Hey folks, wanted to let'cha know that I finally wrote up my experience seeing John E. Brandenburg presenting at the science conference last week.  It has pictures!
Thanks for putting this together! I don't feel like I know enough to question Brandenburg's intent here, but even if the intent is seemingly good, sloppy science hurts us all.

We're starting to see this a lot in journalism too. The amount of so-called news sites that are nothing more than aggregators is staggering. It's scary (and slightly hilarious in a twisted way) how sites like The Onion can post things and get taken seriously by people because they're not demanding facts or primary sources. What's even scarier is that while we know The Onion is meant as a fictional/satirical source for good-natured ribbing, sites like The Huffington Post are considered legit news sources but engage in similar practices.

I like to follow a story backwards to hit the source material. It's frustrating when an article doesn't even bother to link to something you can easily get from a Google search. Even more frustrating is when you can't find the source after multiple searches. How do I know it's legit? The same goes here. I'm glad you looked into his sources.

I get that one of the frustrations people have with academic pursuits in general is that establishing an official answer takes so long because of the review process. But if you're going to sell something as being real, why wouldn't you want to be damn sure?

bateman

Quote from: astroguy on March 27, 2015, 11:29:57 AM
I'm just imagining you giggling as you took this.

Also, Hoagland's talking about this nuclear war on Mars stuff tonight with Syrett. Stealing Brandenburg's thunder, are we Richard???  ;)

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2015/03/27

astroguy

Oh, you have no idea.  I should've taken video -- the best part was when he was shoving his shirt into his pants that were falling off his butt.  The fact that it took him so friggin' long to hang his stuff was ridiculous; two friends and I were just watching him shaking our heads, and then it was like, "Where TF are you going?!" and he came back with the beer ... oye.

I took several more photos, but I figure the ones I posted tell the story.

I'll probably listen to Hoagland tomorrow.  I'm kinda afraid, though.  What's his shtick these days, not able to come up with enough pseudoscience on his own?  Not enough asteroids that we're visiting to claim are spaceships?  Not enough comets?  So he has to steal Judy Wood's stuff, steal Bara's stuff, and now Brandenburg's stuff?  And the fact that he seems to think they're worth stealing ... ?  :o

cweb

Quote from: astroguy on March 27, 2015, 10:38:57 PM
I'll probably listen to Hoagland tomorrow.  I'm kinda afraid, though.  What's his shtick these days, not able to come up with enough pseudoscience on his own?  Not enough asteroids that we're visiting to claim are spaceships?  Not enough comets?  So he has to steal Judy Wood's stuff, steal Bara's stuff, and now Brandenburg's stuff?  And the fact that he seems to think they're worth stealing ... ?  :o
Don't forget-- that asteroid has a library on it that contains all this forbidden knowledge or something or other!

I'm just glad he hasn't stolen my theory about Mars being made entirely of condensed Triscuit.  :)

cweb

Aaaaaand Hoagland is starting to inch his way into Brandenburg's story right now.

You called it.

astroguy

What's fun is when pseudoscientists fight over who gets to claim credit for the pseudoscience.  For example, here's one defending Wood against Hoagland taking her stuff.

bateman

Just wrapped up 3 hours(!) with Bill Birnes on serial killer psychology. I enjoyed doing a longer show, and Bill makes it easy. I should have it up in the next day or so for all of yeewwww.

Roswells, Art

This is a quality show. I listened to a few recent shows then decided to listen to all of them from the first one. I'm glad I did. The first show with Tobias McGriff was interesting and included a spine chilling ghost story. I'm partial ghost shows. I will get through them all eventually as time permits. You are really good at what you do Steve Warner.

Quote from: bateman on March 29, 2015, 10:15:41 PM
serial killer psychology.

Serial killer psychology? You should have looked up Eddie Coyle.

popple

albrecht

Any new shows coming down the pike? Norry is killing me and need some good radio. Enough with the inane questions and "3 headed person" April Fool's jokes; though I was a bit surprised to see Norry make one of the head's black and then live in Indiana. Very edgy. When can we get some more Dark City???

bateman

Quote from: albrecht on April 02, 2015, 04:33:28 PM
Any new shows coming down the pike? Norry is killing me and need some good radio. Enough with the inane questions and "3 headed person" April Fool's jokes; though I was a bit surprised to see Norry make one of the head's black and then live in Indiana. Very edgy. When can we get some more Dark City???

Busy week, I've been editing the Birnes show in bits and pieces. There's also a bigger deal in the works that I've been holding off on because I haven't been able to put out a show every week, but it looks like that's about to be resolved.

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on April 02, 2015, 04:57:20 PM
Busy week, I've been editing the Birnes show in bits and pieces. There's also a bigger deal in the works that I've been holding off on because I haven't been able to put out a show every week, but it looks like that's about to be resolved.
Awesome, but you and Art always cock-teasing us, sorry for the vulgarity but only thing I could compare with, with your stories and travails of studio buildings, technical issues, copyright difficulties, lawyers, and the like! ;) Be I'll be patient.

bateman

Quote from: albrecht on April 02, 2015, 05:11:18 PM
Awesome, but you and Art always cock-teasing us, sorry for the vulgarity but only thing I could compare with, with your stories and travails of studio buildings, technical issues, copyright difficulties, lawyers, and the like! ;) Be I'll be patient.

It's a couple different things.

1. I have annoying obsessive-compulsive tendencies, which means everything I do has to be done to exact specifications I've created in my mind, so everything takes longer than it should. 

2. Interesting offers/propositions come in, but because of the irregular show schedule, I haven't wanted to risk dropping the ball once a deal of some sort is in place. I already have all of you plus Keith yelling at me when there isn't a new show.  :-X

Quote from: bateman on April 02, 2015, 05:48:33 PM
It's a couple different things.

1. I have annoying obsessive-compulsive tendencies, which means everything I do has to be done to exact specifications I've created in my mind, so everything takes longer than it should. 

2. Interesting offers/propositions come in, but because of the irregular show schedule, I haven't wanted to risk dropping the ball once a deal of some sort is in place. I already have all of you plus Keith yelling at me when there isn't a new show.  :-X
It's hard to build much of a fan base with a wonky program schedule.

bateman

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 02, 2015, 06:56:06 PM
It's hard to build much of a fan base with a wonky program schedule.

Downloads continue to rise by the thousands every month.

lonevoice

Quote from: bateman on April 02, 2015, 04:57:20 PM
Busy week, I've been editing the Birnes show in bits and pieces.

Quote from: bateman on April 02, 2015, 07:08:25 PM
Downloads continue to rise by the thousands every month.

Timmy's Russian Twitter followers?

Sure they are probably risings as word spreads, but I think if shows were more consistent the numbers would be even better. I wish you could do 3 or so shows a week.

wr250

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 02, 2015, 07:29:50 PM

Sure they are probably risings as word spreads, but I think if shows were more consistent the numbers would be even better. I wish you could do 3 or so shows a week.
hes preparing to sub for art on weekends and bad back days

bateman

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 02, 2015, 07:29:50 PM

I agree. If I get to the point where I can do this exclusively, I'd probably do 2-3.

Heh, I think Timmy has faded off into the sunset with those Russian eggs of his.

Quote from: lonevoice on April 02, 2015, 07:27:56 PM

PRETTY DEMANDING FOR SOMEONE WHO RUNS OFF FOR 2 YEARS AT A TIME, LONEVOICE.

I guess it's better that everyone wants more as opposed to saying "ya know what, we've heard enough, thanks."

bateman

Quote from: wr250 on April 02, 2015, 07:37:44 PM
hes preparing to sub for art on weekends and bad back days

SHHH.

Quote from: bateman on April 02, 2015, 07:41:26 PM
SHHH.

I listened the the nuked Mars show the other night. I know some people didn't like the guest, but I enjoy the out there guest. Crazier the better.

b_dubb

WhiteCrow

Quote from: bateman on March 29, 2015, 10:15:41 PM
Just wrapped up 3 hours(!) with Bill Birnes on serial killer psychology. I enjoyed doing a longer show, and Bill makes it easy. I should have it up in the next day or so for all of yeewwww.

Just for the record Mr Bateman, I refuse to listen to your shows until you change your creepy Avatar.
(obscure reference to current going's-on in Indiana)

lonevoice

Quote from: bateman on April 02, 2015, 07:40:57 PM
PRETTY DEMANDING FOR SOMEONE WHO RUNS OFF FOR 2 YEARS AT A TIME, LONEVOICE.
You're right, and there's just NO good excuse for something like that.  Now...do you have the new show uploaded yet?