• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory ROCKS -- A Board for George Noory Fans

Started by bcotx, April 06, 2008, 08:00:27 AM

HAL 9000

Quote from: Harmness on April 01, 2011, 09:24:35 PMHow was this name not taken yet?
I was just wondering the SAME thing...

You wouldn't by chance have another alias - WILLOWBEE, would you? See:

http://www.coastgab.com/index.php/topic,550.msg30360.html#msg30360

for details :)

Even if you are Willowbee, no harmness done...

11angeleyes11

I read the DNS explanation, but this morning when I attempted to get to the site, I was also directed to the Facebook "George Noory Fansite."  Actually, I thought I had been sent away, banned, for the creation of this harmness thread.  Strange things happen in the week hours of the morning.   

Desperately, I even sought to proxy in, but to no avail.  Still, there was the smiling picture of George.  I tried to e-mail the Admin, and my e-mail came back with a block, or hard bounce.  I was very April fooled. 

Now, on the other side, do you think that if you go to the Facebook site for the George Noory fansite that you are redirected to Coastgab?  Can DNS be fun in reverse?  Maybe Harmness was redirected through the portal. 

SpacedCadet

does anyone know if eveb stills exists on this forum. i miss her brilliant humor and unrelentless gathering of snooryisms. have to go now. the snoron is coming on and i still have to reline my vomit bucket.

anagrammy

Quote from: SpacedCadet on April 02, 2011, 12:07:34 AM
does anyone know if eveb stills exists on this forum. i miss her brilliant humor and unrelentless gathering of snooryisms. have to go now. the snoron is coming on and i still have to reline my vomit bucket.

She's here with wit blazing.  Remember, she's in grad school so her level of participation varies.  Why don't you PM her?  She'll get a notification in her private email.

Anagrammy

aldousburbank

I love George's stick-to-your-guns approach of never, ever, failing to suck.

MV/Liberace!

i love the fact that george never leaves me wanting more.  he always manages to ask the same questions i want asked, and in a timely, concise, coherent manner.  furthermore, he does a great job of keeping interviews on the right track and avoiding tangential references to movies and/or pop culture figures.  it's all-business with george noory, and for that, i am thankful.

i'll go take my medication now.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - The First Confrontation

Harmness

Quote from: HAL 9000 on April 01, 2011, 10:19:29 PM
I was just wondering the SAME thing...

You wouldn't by chance have another alias - WILLOWBEE, would you? See:

http://www.coastgab.com/index.php/topic,550.msg30360.html#msg30360

for details :)

Even if you are Willowbee, no harmness done...

Eww, no.  That's grosser than the cockroach twat.

SpacedCadet

chalk loren coleman as another one who found the snoron's interview to contain profoundly challenging questions coupled with mensa laced knowledge. i listened to the interview and wish i would have noted every absurd question lobbed towards loren. when snoory hosts i am forced to ingest a substantial amount of lithium and benzos, just to quell any rage.

11angeleyes11

Art told George to make Coast his own. . . and he did.

Yeah, but I speculate that the complete implied statement on art's part was "make it his..." "...version of the same great show."

That's the whole point. George doesn't seem to "make it his." A paramount factor that went into the show was the fact that it *was* so much a reflection of Art as a creator, leader and host. Art was present mentally throughout each show. And the show was potent because of it. Old recordings still are.

...while George seems to just clock in and "do his job."

If this corporate environment is what george has set out to create in an attempt to "make it his," well then the selection of George Noory as replacement was Art Bell's biggest BONK.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: guildnavigator on April 04, 2011, 12:15:18 PM
...the selection of George Noory as replacement was Art Bell's biggest BONK.
i always felt the same way.  as much as people slam noory, and deservedly so, they tend to forget it was ART who dumped this guy in our laps as he went off into the sunset to spend his millions.  i don't begrudge art the privilege of making that sunset trek... i just think people need to be a tad more objective from time to time when assigning blame in this situation.

onan

Quote from: Michael V. on April 04, 2011, 11:15:14 PM
i always felt the same way.  as much as people slam noory, and deservedly so, they tend to forget it was ART who dumped this guy in our laps as he went off into the sunset to spend his millions.  i don't begrudge art the privilege of making that sunset trek... i just think people need to be a tad more objective from time to time when assigning blame in this situation.

I never bought that pomp and circumstance. I remember all the fawning and glad-handing going on and it felt way too "plastic" for me.

I always felt like Art got caught with a hooker and was trying to pass her off as a girl friend.

Maybe Art was really pissed at all the corporate crap going on and this was his "take that" moment?  "Here's a real host for ya'!"
Maybe he even lurks here and has a chuckle or two.
Alas, we will never know for sure.   But that would just spoil all the fun anyway.

MV/Liberace!

i have merged all of the known "pro noory" threads into this one.  please do not troll this thread.

11angeleyes11

Glad to see that there has been progress made. The thead has been brought out of the archives, dusted off, and merged.  There are now five pages and posting.

anagrammy

Quote from: Treading Water on April 05, 2011, 05:10:46 AM
Maybe Art was really pissed at all the corporate crap going on and this was his "take that" moment?  "Here's a real host for ya'!"
Maybe he even lurks here and has a chuckle or two.
Alas, we will never know for sure.   But that would just spoil all the fun anyway.

Now there's a suggestion I have had rolling around in my head for a while with these other facts:  George used to be better, and, Art said this enigmatic quote, referring to Noory, "He gets it."

And that has become "Long live the hot air?" 

I'm not trolling, I would like to ask the NooryFans if they see a difference and what they think of the dementia/mini-stroke/early Alzheimers theory as an explanation.

Anagrammy

11angeleyes11

Quote from: anagrammy on April 08, 2011, 06:53:15 AM
Now there's a suggestion I have had rolling around in my head for a while with these other facts:  George used to be better, and, Art said this enigmatic quote, referring to Noory, "He gets it."

And that has become "Long live the hot air?" 

I'm not trolling, I would like to ask the NooryFans if they see a difference and what they think of the dementia/mini-stroke/early Alzheimers theory as an explanation.

Anagrammy

I don't take "long live the hot air" as a direct attack on George.  On the contrary, I think it refers to the surrounding elements.  Read the letter from Ms. Rolleye James to understand the politics of the show.  That is where I am pulling the support from. 

The dementia/mini-stroke/early Alzheimers theory could be plausible, but I do not think that is the problem.  I have never seen this stated like this, but I pull from personal work experience as reasoning.  Have you ever worked midnites?  If you have then you will know what I am referring to.  I worked them for five years.  I felt like my skin had been turned wrong-side out everynight.  You are in a daze no matter how much sleep you get.  It is a foggy condition.  I never adjusted to it, but it is something I will never forget  Coast is basically a midnight shift gig.  It is more so in the St. Louis market than the Los Angeles market.  I think some of the problem is just the time of nite that the show is held.  No one would be optimal everynite, year-in year-out. 

A second point is the length of the show, even with breaks it takes a lot of dedicated concentration to stay focused and catch every fine point in an interview.  It can very mind fatiquing.  Again, I pull from personal experience.  I have a profession where I must catch every word and nuance that someone says to be at the top of my game.  It can be grueling if it is a long day.  Coast is similar and no one no where has ever made this point in defense that I  have read.  No interviewing someone is not physically draining, but it can be mentally draining and cause mental fatigue.  George may have mental fatigue some nights that  overwhelm him. 

George does not miss work, he is there night-in, night-out for over eight years now.  He has not take many personal days.  He rariely takes vacations.  He is dependable and he performs. 

I think it is a combination of the hours that Coast is on, the midnight shift and the fact that it is a long-interview format that can be very mentally draining to stay engaged and observant over the long haul.  That is the issue.

George has done it.  Art did not.  He had how many retirements over how many years.  I love Art and do not mean those comments mean-spirited, but the record speaks volumes.  George is a dependable, durable performer.  Art was not forever.  It appears that management wants stability and performance in this time slot for this show. 

Concluding they want a flame that will burn steadily forever, like the statute of liberty flame - George.  What is less desirable is a M-80 firecracker that burns hot and then explodes - Art.  That is the difference as I see it. 

onan

George may be dependable as is suggested but the cost of that dependability is too high.

It isn't like noory had no idea what the job entailed. Interviewing isn't an easy gig. It requires lots of prep which by all observation noory doesn't do. Radio personalities need to be able to think quickly and recover from mistakes quickly; again noory fails at the task.

Perhaps noory does have some variation of sleep deprivation. It's funny how Art didn't seem to be affected.

Look noory may be a swell guy, I really don't care. What I do care about is the kind of show Art was able provide on a regular basis.

Lack of sleep is a poor excuse for a job that requires night time hours. If noory had just become a night radio host and we were talking about his first 6 months I would defer to that position.

We are all out of our element at times and no one performs at peak efficiency all the time. That is one hell of a pass to give noory because to suggest that would mean noory is always out of his element... oh wait.

anagrammy

Quote from: onan on April 08, 2011, 08:45:08 PM
George may be dependable as is suggested but the cost of that dependability is too high.

It isn't like noory had no idea what the job entailed. Interviewing isn't an easy gig. It requires lots of prep which by all observation noory doesn't do. Radio personalities need to be able to think quickly and recover from mistakes quickly; again noory fails at the task.

Perhaps noory does have some variation of sleep deprivation. It's funny how Art didn't seem to be affected.

Look noory may be a swell guy, I really don't care. What I do care about is the kind of show Art was able provide on a regular basis.

Lack of sleep is a poor excuse for a job that requires night time hours. If noory had just become a night radio host and we were talking about his first 6 months I would defer to that position.

We are all out of our element at times and no one performs at peak efficiency all the time. That is one hell of a pass to give noory because to suggest that would mean noory is always out of his element... oh wait.

Perhaps part of the huge performance gap between Noory and Bell, and that's an assumption those on this thread may not accept, but for the point of this discussion, what about the body's natural biorhythms?  Isn't it settled science that there are night people and day people.  I am a night person; however, I had a day job and I functioned.  But not as well as I did at night.  I'm on fire with clarity and creativity and energy at night.  I've got my music, my drinks, my snacks, no interruptions and anywhere I want to go there are no crowds.  Art often mentioned his love of the night and we "creatures of the night."  We are drawn to night work (I write at night, of course).  I am not incompetent during the day, but I'm basically phoning it in.

I suspect Noory is a day person who took this gig because how can you turn it down?  Now when I was functioning during the day, I would defer as much of my work to take home and do at night--certainly all the creative stuff.  During the day I got by because I am educated and articulate.  Even if my contributions were not brilliant, I could pass (you might say).  I could talk to almost anyone and ask decent questions.

There is the other problem.  Noory is NOT well-educated and the gaps in his education are in such critical fundamental HIGH SCHOOL areas that a gaffe like not knowing the difference between Giza and Gaza is unforgettable.  When the intelligent young listener hear something like that, well, there goes the respect.  And when George didn't shut his yap about how to "view" an mp3, there must have been a rattling of laptops being slammed all across the nation. 

It's not a crime to be old, I mean look at Jon Stewart!  But it is a crime to be stupid and set yourself up to talk for hours each night.  It's gonna come out, people, and it has.   The person who dedicates his life to an area of questionable credibility better have excellent credentials and an ability to withhold judgment.  He should be able to follow close enough to ask the next logical question rather than read a card.

The other night the guest said that they had discovered officials at the Japanese nuclear reactor site who had been lying about the data.  George then asked, "Did you see any UFO's there or anywhere in Japan?"

This is what I'm talking about.  HE IS PAID BIG BUCKS TO DO THIS.  If he can't represent us, the people who are awake (or semi-awake) and listening, he should be replaced.  Doesn't mean he's not nice, sweet, lovely man full of grace and light, but he isn't able to do the job and if he can't fix it, they should replace him. 

I personally think they've given him a warning because even with the above, over all, I think he's been doing a little better lately.

Anagrammy

Scully

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on April 08, 2011, 05:19:05 PM

...Read the letter from Ms. Rolleye James to understand the politics of the show.  That is where I am pulling the support from. 

...I think some of the problem is just the time of nite that the show is held.  No one would be optimal everynite, year-in year-out.

Well argued, Angeleyes.

Can anyone provide a link to the letter from Rollye James?  I must have missed it, and I'm constantly trying to weigh out in my mind just how much of the current C2C to credit George with as he continues to make the show "his own," versus what his higher ups are requiring of him, particularly as to his determined right-wing conservative pontification.

One other thing ... while it is true that few can give a totally optimal performance during every working shift (night or day), there are among us people such as myself who thrive during the night time hours, and merely muddle through the days. I would wager that Art and many others share the tune of my circadian rythym, while George does not.

P.S.  Nothing like feeling redundant.  While I was editing my post and watching tv coverage of the President et al trying to save the budget, I find that Anagrammy has made most of my case for me.  Oh, well.  Great minds ...  ::)

Scully,

Here is the link to the Rollye James letter about the inner workings of C2C:

http://www.coastgab.com/index.php/topic,1966.msg26077.html#msg26077

When I use Internet Explorer it does not take me directly to the link.  Firefox takes me there fine.  So, if you do not get directed to the letter via the link then look for the topic: Coast May Need A Woman's Touch?  Michael V posted the Rollye James letter in the 4th reply under this heading - August 7, 2010.

Hope that helps.

Scully

Thanks, Velvet, for the link.

Internet Explorer takes me directly to it (maybe I'm just holding my mouth right :) ), and I very much look forward to reading Ms. James' thoughts.

onan

Quote from: anagrammy on April 08, 2011, 09:02:36 PM
...about the body's natural biorhythms?  Isn't it settled science that there are night people and day people.  I am a night person; however, I had a day job and I functioned.

Anagrammy

Actually no the subject of biorythms is not a settled science. Although many use personal anecdotes to substantiate their views there is little science to it. I do not have the data in front of me but studies show that anyones inner clock can be manipulated to any extent over a very short period of time. If anyone wants more info they can pm me or start a new thread... yeah imma boring guy.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on April 09, 2011, 04:01:54 AM
If anyone wants more info they can pm me or start a new thread... yeah imma boring guy.
haha

anagrammy

Quote from: Scully on April 08, 2011, 11:14:05 PM
Thanks, Velvet, for the link.

Internet Explorer takes me directly to it (maybe I'm just holding my mouth right :) ), and I very much look forward to reading Ms. James' thoughts.

Wow.  Velvet and Scully-- this makes me want to think (sorry, it just popped out).   Maybe Michael V. will pin or archive that on page one.  Too bad Rollye was sick, but I'm sure this information would not have been shared without some forced inactivity there.  Understanding all this is tough and I still don't get some of it, but the bottom line is the same. 

It will take years for the consequences of low quality programming, or a shift in the demographic (or IQ) of listeners to make any difference at all.  It's like trying to bring down Walmart by talking to undervalued employees about how bad it is, when it's the only employer in town.

Anagrammy