• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Change of Display Name

Started by Zoxo, October 12, 2013, 05:10:08 PM

Roswells, Art

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 05:10:11 PM
understood, but that environment was likely back when "allowable" content was more restrictive than it is now.  these days, all posts are allowed to stand if they aren't spam and they contain no illegal content/NSFW imagery.  with that new standard, it's difficult to maintain the atmosphere of neighbors chatting over a fence.  i'm not sure what a "no login" policy would do to profoundly change the temperature of things as they currently are, other than to guarantee higher participation rates. 

bottom line: things always change and evolve/devolve (depending on perspective), and hopefully you'll continue to stick around as that occurs.  if not, i'll understand.

OK, I think you're saying you can't control it but you did control it before. I realize you don't want this as a full time job and getting a moderator isn't the way to go either. I would think you would want your own website to be a place where you yourself can go and be entertained.

Things do change and I don't mind reading the archives. To reiterate I think you are changing things to be like 4chan and there already is a 4chan and probably other sites like it. You had something special here.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 14, 2016, 05:18:49 PM

OK, I think you're saying you can't control it but you did control it before. I realize you don't want this as a full time job and getting a moderator isn't the way to go either. I would think you would want your own website to be a place where you yourself can go and be entertained.

Things do change and I don't mind reading the archives. To reiterate I think you are changing things to be like 4chan and there already is a 4chan and probably other sites like it. You have something special here.

It was special. But many of the intelligent, funny and entertaining members have gone, several for good. To be replaced by the 4chan bretheren. Now some may take the view that anti semitic, disguised racist cowardice is entertaining and even funny (and no, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the election); but clearly, those staying away do not.

Now Walmart don't care who you are as long as you shop there....

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 14, 2016, 05:30:09 PM
It was special. But many of the intelligent, funny and entertaining members have gone, several for good. To be replaced by the 4chan bretheren.

I met a 4chan'er in school in real life. He was a nice enough guy. The funny thing about him was he kept repeating himself. I finally had to tell him, "you've already said that four times!"

Not even joking.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 14, 2016, 02:50:56 PM

I did but then I deleted it. It wasn't that eloquent anyway. It still won't be. It seems like before people would opine about anything and mostly get other viewpoints in return with a ton of humor in between. That kept me glued to the site. Now it's more like you post your opinion or just say 'hi' and the response is 'ur 600 pounds and have 4 cats//' then maybe a few pics of children for the pedos. I think you can get that type of low quality interaction anywhere. This place used to be where  people put forth interesting ideas and listened to the mostly well thought out replies with a ton of weird humor thrown in. I wasn't one of those people but I liked reading it.
Agreed R_A.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 14, 2016, 01:57:54 PM

Yeah, there are some people that won't like it. There is already a bunch of site's like that. One is called 4chan. Anyway, good luck making your forum the McDonalds of websites. I liked how this forum used to be. It's almost like you don't recognize what a unique place this was and how that made it a place for people to want to go to.

No HAIL for MV, unless...

Quote from: norland2424 on November 14, 2016, 05:14:10 PM
maybe its time to bring back the ignore feature, it would make all sides happy i think, and would still bring in the number of users you need to keep bellgab a profitable endeavour.

I'm sure other options could be enabled too.
You'll probably need a dedicated server for the ignore feature though - LOL   ;D

It's your site MV, and I enjoyed it while it lasted. Just imagine 40 REEKs posting here.

If you are going for money generation, well, would you like fries with that shake ?

Barfly called this almost a year ago.

theONE

if you're going to critique the change, you'll have to be more specific in voicing your displeasure with it.

that's no the first time,-even Hoagie noticed that,

Quote from: theONE..MV on November 06, 2016, 11:07:43 PM
Heather aka cat woman calling Hoagie -example of brilliance right there, notice her favourite word
she is yelling into the phone every few seconds.... yea -- yea -- yea -- yea -- yea -- yea
her vocabulary must be very rich indeed , LOL

At 4:10 she is starting to embarrass herself having problem to understand difference between physics and geometry ,LOL
-- and at 5:10 Hoagie rips her a new one, she calls to bitch about Hoagie and has no example of what she
is bitching about...pure genius cat woman aka Heather Roswells ,hahahaha

,,,and that irritating high pitched voice of hers

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Ili7ydDpgb

ignore feature is a nice compromise between those who want to censor speech, and those who like your hands off approach.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 14, 2016, 05:18:49 PM

OK, I think you're saying you can't control it but you did control it before.

i can control it even today, but i choose not to.  if i step in and start "deciding" what's acceptable discourse and what isn't, this place is finished.  bellgab no longer has the pleasure of resting on its previous topical focal points.  art's done and never coming back, so there goes that angle... george is still on the radio but who cares anymore, so there goes that angle...  what's left?  to survive and remain worthy of man hours (maintenance) and paying a server bill each month, bellgab will have to become its own thing, independent of these niche topics it used to hang its hat on. 

i came to this realization the night art announced he was leaving MITD, and it's why i did nothing to protect him or heather during the onslaught of venom hurled at them.  my immediate focus became saving bellgab... looking out for my own interests... just as art/heather were looking out for theirs.  yeah, bellgab could have been thoroughly homogenized/censored for consumption by the "MITD brain trust," and if that had happened, the forum would be populated by ten active users at this point.  sure, we lost some, but i'm positive the exodus would have been profound if i had stepped in to keep things friendly for art in the middle of a mess he created.

most online today during a 60 minute period:  436.  believe it or not, that number was sometimes lower when art was still hosting MITD.  so, i think we're onto something here.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 14, 2016, 05:30:09 PM

Now Walmart don't care who you are as long as you shop there....

that's exactly right.  this is a business, and the goal is to make as much money as possible.  i'm not at all ashamed of that.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 05:50:51 PM
i can control it even today, but i choose not to.  if i step in and start "deciding" what's acceptable discourse and what isn't, this place is finished.  bellgab no longer has the pleasure of resting on its previous topical focal points.  art's done and never coming back, so there goes that angle... george is still on the radio but who cares anymore, so there goes that angle...  what's left?  to survive and remain worthy of man hours (maintenance) and paying a server bill each month, bellgab will have to become its own thing, independent of these niche topics it used to hang its hat on. 

i came to this realization the night art announced he was leaving MITD, and it's why i did nothing to protect him or heather during the onslaught of venom hurled at them.  my immediate focus became saving bellgab... looking out for my own interests... just as art/heather were looking out for theirs.  yeah, bellgab could have been thoroughly homogenized/censored for consumption by the "MITD brain trust," and if that had happened, the forum would be populated by ten active users at this point.  sure, we lost some, but i'm positive the exodus would have been profound if i had stepped in to keep things friendly for art in the middle of a mess he created.

most online today during a 60 minute period:  436.  believe it or not, that number was sometimes lower when art was still hosting MITD.  so, i think we're onto something here.

And to show I'm not having a pop; you were threatened legally by Bell. His only recourse to anyone taking him to task is to threaten (usually), a legal letter. Sue, upGrabbit and Run, must do very well out him.

I understand totally your course of action, its a business like any other. Sadly though, like all businesses that change their foundations (either by choice or necessity), the customer often changes. Its a pity.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 14, 2016, 05:57:47 PM
the customer often changes.

that is an absolute truth. 

it's just that after almost nine years of running this thing, i'm waaaaay beyond the point of getting hung up on, "remember how nice everyone used to be?"  or, "remember the mutually beneficial discourse we would all have as friends who 'knew' one another?"  the sentimentality of all of that... it's totally lost on me now.  today, i view this as a script on a server, and my goal is to get as many eyeballs/keyboards on it as possible.  no other considerations or wishes.

theONE

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 14, 2016, 02:50:56 PM

I did but then I deleted it. It wasn't that eloquent anyway. It still won't be. It seems like before people would opine about anything and mostly get other viewpoints in return with a ton of humor in between. That kept me glued to the site. Now it's more like you post your opinion 1.*or just say 'hi' and the response is 'ur 600 pounds and have 4 cats//' then maybe a few pics of children for the pedos. 2.*I think you can get that type of low quality interaction anywhere. This place used to be where  people put forth interesting ideas and listened to the mostly well thought out replies with a ton of weird humor thrown in. I wasn't one of those people but I liked reading it.

1.* funny how you are the first to baby cry when some shots are fired at you,..but you have no problem
to fire shots at others and quite often those shots are quite nasty & vile,
maybe you should leave the kitchen if it's too hot for you there and relocate to the dishwashing section of the restaurant 

2.*  care to quote your posts that of very high quality interaction,... perhaps something like this one:
Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 07, 2016, 01:03:21 AM

I should stab you in the face for saying that.

Roswells Cat woman, don't tell me that this post of yours is not typical 4chan post.

Quote from: theONE..MV on November 07, 2016, 01:09:09 AM
you see if I said that to you you would get soooo pissy and run and snitch to MV, but you think that is funny
when you say it, you hypocrite you,...you do not engage your brain when you posting you just don't
..unless there is nothing to engage there

Having 4chan style acces to BGab is not only for assholes to posts post like you did here already ,but is also for intelligent
disscussions,.. and 4chan has plenty of those threads as well -I guess you were only hanging out at the /x/ thread
you shoulf explore many other threads on 4chan to get fuller picture before you start criticizing

You see everything only from the negative side because that's how you feel inside ,and you are quite often expressing that
if someone has different opinion from yours...you jump to stab them in the face -and you think that's very funny
/funny only if you are a primitive person that should feel right at home on 4chan according to your own words/

Kind of digging being able to spruce up the handle a little bit without pestering anyone..........

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Walks_At_Night ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on November 14, 2016, 06:12:35 PM
Kind of digging being able to spruce up the handle a little bit without pestering anyone..........

isn't it liberating?  heh heh

aldousburbank

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 05:10:11 PM
it's difficult to maintain the atmosphere of neighbors chatting shooting over a fence

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 14, 2016, 06:14:21 PM

honestly, i don't recall a time when things were really that chummy around here to begin with.  that's what comes to mind reading your "fify" quote.

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 06:02:40 PM
that is an absolute truth. 

it's just that after almost nine years of running this thing, i'm waaaaay beyond the point of getting hung up on, "remember how nice everyone used to be?"  or, "remember the mutually beneficial discourse we would all have as friends who 'knew' one another?"  the sentimentality of all of that... it's totally lost on me now.  today, i view this as a script on a server, and my goal is to get as many eyeballs/keyboards on it as possible.  no other considerations or wishes.
Thanks for your honesty MV. (You've mentioned that before, too)  :)
We'll see what happens.

No "HAIL"s, but no FAILS either

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 14, 2016, 03:27:04 PM

I don't think so. That isn't the problem I was trying to illustrate in my comment above. A few of my favorite posters are vocal Trump supporters. I'm not.

You're cool with me, Roswells. ;)

I don't particularly like the change.  I like to know who I'm dealing with although it may be fun for a joke every now and then.

aldousburbank

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 06:18:06 PM
honestly, i don't recall a time when things were really that chummy around here to begin with.  that's what comes to mind reading your "fify" quote.

I like shooting.

theONE

Quote from: Roswells, Art on November 07, 2016, 01:03:21 AM

I should stab you in the face for saying that.

If descent polite person was lurking at this board and read your post that person would feel disgusted
at the quality of the posters here especially female,..if you like this place be more civil perhaps start with yourself Roswells,Art

norland2424

Quote from: theONE..MV on November 14, 2016, 06:25:18 PM
If descent polite person was lurking at this board and read your post that person would feel disgusted
at the quality posters here especially female,..if you like this place be more civil perhaps start with yourself Roswells,Art

that was a joke, and no one really cares either.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 14, 2016, 06:20:53 PM
I don't particularly like the change.  I like to know who I'm dealing with although it may be fun for a joke every now and then.

Imagine the fun and confusion if we all swapped usernames and avatars secretly via PM's?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Northern Nights on November 14, 2016, 06:32:51 PM
Imagine the fun and confusion if we all swapped usernames and avatars secretly via PM's?

or if a name/avatar were randomly applied to you upon each loading of the page?  big fun.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 05:50:51 PM

You said: ' bellgab no longer has the pleasure of resting on its previous topical focal points.'

I disagree. Didn't you start this site while Art was retired? OK, so it was made popular by people making jokes about Noory but then it expanded to just chatting about weird stuff. There was an area where people could yell and throw chairs (political forum) but the rest of the forum was people posting pretty interesting thoughts.

Maybe I'm wrong I understand you're trying to make money here and I hope you do but aren't there already a ton of websites like 4chan?

Also, I did notice there are a ton of lurkers now, do you think they will stick around now that the election is over?

Quote from: Northern Nights on November 14, 2016, 06:32:51 PM
BLAAAAahh  ha ha ha ha !  :D

I was thinking the same thing !

theONE

Quote from: norland2424 on November 14, 2016, 06:26:13 PM
that was a joke, and no one really cares either.

yeah, but when I joke she is bitching and baby cry that she will snitch on me to MV
...go figure cat urine sniffing woman

norland2424

Quote from: theONE..MV on November 14, 2016, 06:55:56 PM
yeah, but when I joke she is bitching and baby cry that she will snitch on me to MV
...go figure cat urine sniffing woman

i dont think MV cares either way tho

albrecht

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 14, 2016, 06:49:31 PM
BLAAAAahh  ha ha ha ha !  :D

I was thinking the same thing !
Or use that "true random" generator you posted about that upon login you are assigned a random other user's name/avatar (or lack thereof) and, furthermore, you must try to post as they would. And how quickly others could identify if you weren't really them? (The person with that name/avatar would, of course, be prohibited from "outing" the randomly assigned version of them.)

JesusJuice

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 01:27:32 PM
i'm looking at it this way:

if people can sign up instantly through an array of social logins (and they can), with no verification/scrutiny on this end, then there's no reason to suddenly get restrictive once they do sign up. 

i like the 4chan idea of no login required, and i'm about four steps ahead of you on that... but spam is my only concern.  ultimately this is where things are headed once i overcome the spam worries.  there are some people who won't like it, but that's the case with any and every change that's made around here.

A Captcha service will cut down on bots if you go registration free. You can then sell Bellgab passes for $20 a year for users to bypass the Captcha.