• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

If Art did a show on a technology...

Started by Wintermute, October 11, 2013, 11:30:38 AM

Wintermute

... what would you like it to be? Legitimate tech. Not EVP, GIS kind of mombo-jumbo. Stuff that actually affects our society.

Examples:
** Automation of work through tech -> driving unemployment and social unrest up.
** Location tech... Google and Apple know exactly where you are.
** Smart Weapons... fire and forget rifles, UAV swarms...
** Civic tech... tech enabling governments to form extreme metro sprawls (Boston to Atlanta)...

Whatcha got peeps?

Harmness

I'd like to hear a show on 3-D printing.

albrecht

I think he should do an interview with that McAfee guy. Not only did he make $$$ in various high-tech/computer interests but also got into various "substances" and cultivation thereof, apparently, and had a VERY WEIRD life-style with several young women and then there was a shooting and he had an outlaw-like escape from Costa Rica a year ago. And I think is back in the US without charges? Bizarre tale. Could be a classic interview, I think. It also would be nice to have Art to do some interviews with stars like he did with Carlin, Willie, Haggard, etc in the past.

Wearable digital instruments. Modern day jazz hands.
"A team of researchers from the Input Devices and Music Interaction Lab (IDMIL) at McGill University has developed "prosthetic digital instruments" which look like spines and ribcages and can be worn on the body to create music."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/08/digital-instruments-gestes

Wintermute

Print-on-demand fabrication... that's a good one. We actually have had a 3-D fab machine for 4-5yrs in the office. They are very handy!!

Quote from: Harmness on October 12, 2013, 02:27:00 PM

Wintermute

Not exactly wearable... but have you played with this? 
http://youtu.be/ONn6JVlRqrE

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 13, 2013, 05:07:29 AM
Wearable digital instruments. Modern day jazz hands.
"A team of researchers from the Input Devices and Music Interaction Lab (IDMIL) at McGill University has developed "prosthetic digital instruments" which look like spines and ribcages and can be worn on the body to create music."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/08/digital-instruments-gestes

area51drone

Quote from: Harmness on October 12, 2013, 02:27:00 PM

Yes, this would be interesting, especially if he could get the people on that are working on the space stuff.   I don't necessarily think it would be a whole show kind of interview, but I would really like to hear what callers might ask.  There are so many directions you could take with it too - people are working on printing not just tools and guns, but entire houses and cities!

area51drone

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2013, 03:36:02 PM
I think he should do an interview with that McAfee guy. Not only did he make $$$ in various high-tech/computer interests but also got into various "substances" and cultivation thereof, apparently, and had a VERY WEIRD life-style with several young women and then there was a shooting and he had an outlaw-like escape from Costa Rica a year ago. And I think is back in the US without charges? Bizarre tale. Could be a classic interview, I think.

Oh man, that would definitely be one I would want to hear if he could arrange it.   Good suggestion.

area51drone

Okay, I'll throw my own in here:

Google and/or DARPA cars that are driving themselves

Speech Recognition and Text To Speech Technology

Virtual Reality

An interview with one of the Kickstarter founders

JimAlmquist

I would like Art to do a show on the advancements of Nano Technology. I also would like to hear a show on the future of military weaponry. Things like Stealth Naval ships, satellite missile technology, swarms of UAV's disguised as swarms of insects, anti-shipping missiles & Super Soldiers with exoskeletons/ military robotics.

onan

Quote from: JimAlmquist on October 22, 2013, 10:35:06 PM
I would like Art to do a show on the advancements of Nano Technology. I also would like to hear a show on the future of military weaponry. Things like Stealth Naval ships, satellite missile technology, swarms of UAV's disguised as swarms of insects, anti-shipping missiles & Super Soldiers with exoskeletons/ military robotics.

I think that would be a great show too.

Wintermute

Keep them coming. Hopefully this post gets a peek from the big man and we can get some folks on that aren't witches and abductees.

steelbot

I would love to see it done, as technology is one of my favorite love hate relationships - it could be entertaining.  I still want an answer to my dynamo questions! 

Wintermute

Rather odd this thread was moved off of show topics...  :o

All of these suggestions have been great and they could all easily be spun into a full show. Especially 3d fabrication.

DanTSX

Quote from: Agent : Orange on October 25, 2013, 12:47:21 AM
All of these suggestions have been great and they could all easily be spun into a full show. Especially 3d fabrication.

could a 3D printer print a 3D portal? :o

area51drone

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2013, 03:36:02 PM
I think he should do an interview with that McAfee guy. Not only did he make $$$ in various high-tech/computer interests but also got into various "substances" and cultivation thereof, apparently, and had a VERY WEIRD life-style with several young women and then there was a shooting and he had an outlaw-like escape from Costa Rica a year ago. And I think is back in the US without charges? Bizarre tale. Could be a classic interview, I think. It also would be nice to have Art to do some interviews with stars like he did with Carlin, Willie, Haggard, etc in the past.

Did you email Art?  Can't believe you make this comment and he's on!

Wintermute

I can... McAffee has been on C2C many times.

area51drone

Quote from: Wintermute on November 04, 2013, 01:01:08 PM
I can... McAffee has been on C2C many times.

I had no idea..  were they good interviews or done in typical lazy snoory style?

Wintermute

I am not a McAffee fan, and Snorry is as you said "lazy". So no, I don't think they were good.

Just to add... maybe the technology show should have been about SiriusXM since Art has given up.

onan

I would rather see him do a couple shows on coping skills.