• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Are we living in a computer simulation?

Started by Centurion40, September 04, 2013, 09:14:14 AM

Centurion40

http://news.discovery.com/space/are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation-2-121216.htm

To extrapolate further, I’d suggest that artificial intelligent entities descended from us would be curious about looking back in time by simulating the universe of their biological ancestors.

As off-the-wall as this sounds, a team of physicists at the University of Washington (UW) recently announced that there is a potential test to seen if we actually live in The Lattice. Ironically, it would be the first such observation for scientifically hypothesized evidence of intelligent design behind the cosmos.

The UW team too propose that super-intelligent entities, bored with their current universe, do numerical simulations to explore all possibilities in the landscape of the underlying quantum vacuum (from which the big bang percolated) through universe simulations. “This is perhaps the most profound quest that can be undertaken by a sentient being,” write the authors.

Oh my head....

Yorkshire pud

...and the pisser? It's running on Windows OS.

stevesh

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 04, 2013, 09:26:12 AM

Windows Me to be exact, which explains a lot.

Juan

I read a book back in the 60s called Simulacron 3.  It depicted a world as a simulated environment, but the only one who suspects is a character named Douglas Hall - he sees roadways that suddenly end, the reappear, another character who goes nuts and starts preaching on a street corner.  Interestingly, in this world smoking was banned and everyone went to a "speakeasy" to get cigarettes.  Turns our the simulated world was a test site to see how changes would be handled by us earthlings. On the read world with the computer, smoking was OK.
I see the book is finally back in print and available at Amazon.

Centurion40

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 04, 2013, 09:26:12 AM

This explains why we're all fucked!   ;D