• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I Don't Believe In Mid-Life Crisis and Here's How I'm Spending Mine

Started by aldousburbank, August 24, 2013, 11:03:08 AM

aldousburbank

A thread for those of us who seem no longer young.  You hit your fifties, hopefully your alive or not in jail, you have a couple of hours to spend and maybe a few federal reserve notes put away in your imaginary bank account- whatdya do?  A sports car, travel, a substance, a fling?

I think the whole idea is bullshit.  My fifties are a chance to suck it up and make things right and try to leave the joint in better shape than when I stumbled in the door.  And also, to quit whining already.

So here's a chance for those of you that agree, or not, to share your particular rutting rituals, or lack thereof.
So check this out

The Pedego Trail Tracker
I was given this beauty by an old friend who clearly loves me and who possibly sensed the need for a healthy outlet for the old freek. I couldn't afford it as it's a 3k list price bike.  But living out here at the remote Burbank compound, this is the vehicle to have.  It's a fixed speed with 4 inch wide tires.  Stoopid right?  Electric assist because even as studly as I am, pedaling this thing up any kind of grade is just not going to happen for very far.  600 watt 48 volt battery takes you about 25 hilly dirt road miles with pedaling. Saddlebags make it a nice grocery/work vehicle. But to hell with that, this thing goes anywhere, the beach, the mud flats, through, the woods, etc.  The fatty tires ride comfortably at down to 10 psi making for lovely excursions even over bumpy terrain that's never been rid'.

How awesome is it?  I put earbuds in so that it appears that I can't hear the hikers and others as I pass and they want to stop me and ask me about my bitchin ride.  The wymmin think it's hot and the dudes covet it.  The Monster Truck for Hippies!  A big plus is that the whole Burbank family has started riding together since the Trail Tracker arrived.  This thing plumb hauls ass and is the best life upgrade since I learned how to play the Hokey Pokey cuz that's what it's all about!

Shit, maybe I am having a mid-life crisis actually...

b_dubb

after being a slug all winter, spring and summer i finally got my bike out last week. nothing special.  just a basic Trek hybrid. i rode it to the end of the street and bike.  haven't touched it yet.  wahhhh

Foodlion

Most men buy a red corvette, a weave and a mail order bride.

I'm going to buy a Nintendo off Ebay with about a 100 games and play myself to death.

Juan

I'm buying bass trombones.  When my band plays, and I'm playing one of my basses, far more of the girlies come up and talk to me than to the girlie-men tenor trombone players.

aldousburbank

I sir and/or mam happen to be a former tenor 'bonist and me thinks thouest bassers doth overcompensate muchly.

ACE of CLUBS

What is 'mid-life nowadays?

Quads and motorcycles have been my downfall .....

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UFO Fill on August 24, 2013, 01:09:40 PM
I'm buying bass trombones.  When my band plays, and I'm playing one of my basses, far more of the girlies come up and talk to me than to the girlie-men tenor trombone players.

got any audio of your band?

I've had a couple mountain bikes since my first one, a Bridgestone 1993 MB-5, but I wore those out and kept going back to the MB.  It finally gave up the ghost this spring. 

Here is my new one, a Cannondale Trail SL4.  I'd rather have no suspension, but they all seem to come with at least front.  This one has hydraulic disc brakes.  Stayed with a 26" wheel instead of making the move to 29".

Don't like the colors that much, but got a hell of a year-end close out deal.  I probably looked at 100 bikes, and this is the one that felt the most comfortable as far as where the handlebars and pedals are.

[attachimg=1]

Juan

Quote from: MV on August 24, 2013, 02:46:00 PM
got any audio of your band?
I should have some rehearsal audio - recorded with an H4 - in a couple of days. It's geezer music - and I don't mean classic rock.

I got rid of the Chevy with the rust hole in the roof over the driver's seat that left me with a sodden butt whenever it rained or snowed and got my very first spanking brand new car, a Malibu with CUP HOLDERS!!! My first CUP HOLDERS AND a WORKING RADIO/CD player!!!! And no swamp smell inside.

Oh, man, I just got all excited again. I need to calm down.

OK, maybe not so much a spectacular mid-life crisis. I need to work on that, but Mr. Burbank Pere's bike is magnificent.

ItsOver

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 24, 2013, 11:03:08 AM

The Pedego Trail Tracker

I could almost see "The King of Cool" riding that bike, if he was still around.  8)

Foodlion

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 24, 2013, 03:24:49 PM
I've had a couple mountain bikes since my first one, a Bridgestone 1993 MB-5, but I wore those out and kept going back to the MB.  It finally gave up the ghost this spring. 

Here is my new one, a Cannondale Trail SL4.  I'd rather have no suspension, but they all seem to come with at least front.  This one has hydraulic disc brakes.  Stayed with a 26" wheel instead of making the move to 29".

Don't like the colors that much, but got a hell of a year-end close out deal.  I probably looked at 100 bikes, and this is the one that felt the most comfortable as far as where the handlebars and pedals are.

[attachimg=1]
My brother owns a Trek, and a Cannondale and a few others. I believe he spent around 3k for the Cannondale and another 1k in Shamano parts.

Nice bike, but I'd rather buy a motorcycle and cruise the country than take a risk by getting hit by a drunk driver. Plus I'm just too lazy to pedal for more than 15 minutes lol

Eddie Coyle

Being that I'm 38, and would be amazed if I make it beyond 52...I think I've navigated my mid-life crisis with aplomb. I'm now embracing the terminus phase, perhaps explaining why I resumed smoking.

heater

Quote from: Foodlion on August 24, 2013, 12:48:39 PM
Most men buy a red corvette, a weave and a mail order bride.

I'm going to buy a Nintendo off Ebay with about a 100 games and play myself to death.

this

aldousburbank

Quote from: Foodlion on August 27, 2013, 10:26:25 AM
Nice bike, but I'd rather buy a motorcycle and cruise the country than take a risk by getting hit by a drunk driver.
Once, in the last millenium, i was scooting my motorcycle down a country road at 60 when a drunk pregnant doe a deer sprung from the creekside, bounced once, and landed directly on my handlebars. Nice 50 ft. Roll/slide. Not at all injured my head did it make happen.

sleeplessinca

I bought a horse.  It was now or never and something I'd always wanted.  Not everyone's thing but I have enjoyed her.  I ride nearly every day out in the rolling hills along beautiful vineyards.  It is a dream and one that can knock you on your 4$$ if you're not careful.  Doesn't hurt that she's really beautiful and super smooth.