• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Lost In Translation

Started by jazmunda, August 21, 2013, 05:39:06 PM

jazmunda

I love Asian language translation fails.

Usagi

Man, I want to buy some of these.  Especially "Execution in Progress." 

"Tiny grass is dreaming" is actually quite beautiful...

HorrorRetro

I can't beat those, but a Chinese rat hole we used to frequent in Oklahoma had "human beef" on the menu.  I'm guessing it was supposed to be Hunan beef, but I always got a kick and a little bout of nausea when I read "human beef."

Sardondi

Quote from: Usagi on August 21, 2013, 08:21:32 PM..."Tiny grass is dreaming" is actually quite beautiful...
I thought the same thing. What a tranquil image. Ahhhhhhh....

lonevoice

Quote from: Usagi on August 21, 2013, 08:21:32 PM
"Tiny grass is dreaming" is actually quite beautiful...
Agree!  Aldousburbank posted a Haiku for Noory-San using it in the GNS section.   

eddie dean

Thanks for the laugh Jazmunda!
I'm considering an intership in the hospitals  3rd department, just under the Emergency room!

onan

Quote from: eddie dean on August 23, 2013, 10:34:59 PM
Thanks for the laugh Jazmunda!
I'm considering an intership in the hospitals  3rd department, just under the Emergency room!

*sigh* I am just trying to make a duck explode.

sleeplessinca

Who needs to travel when the world comes to you?
The Silicon Valley is a darling to Chinese immigrants and as a result has huge Asian markets.  These places sell massive amounts of fresh fish on ice or in swimming in tanks. 
My favorite LIT signs ever was on one of these fresh fish displays. It read "Fish just die".

aldousburbank

Quote from: onan on August 24, 2013, 04:59:43 AM
*sigh* I am just trying to make a duck explode.
Have you tried using seltzer water, menthos, and duck tape?  Should work.

onan

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 07, 2013, 09:20:03 AM
Have you tried using seltzer water, menthos, and duck tape?  Should work.

I am not sure how to implement those items, but I will give it a try.

aldousburbank

There's another aspect of LIT that this thread brings to mind. I could think of examples but it would probably tick me off enough to abort this post so I'll describe instead. Really a mashup of Things That Annoy You, David Choade Oates Backward-Speak, and LIT;  When people say something by way of words, and you understand their meaning, but it is given in their manner of delivery, choice of words, and body language, but is not directly stated and is in fact cloaked intentionally or otherwise?  You can sense what they are communicating, but in spite of, or behind what they're saying?  Know what I mean?

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 07, 2013, 09:11:20 AM
Who needs to travel when the world comes to you?
The Silicon Valley is a darling to Chinese immigrants and as a result has huge Asian markets.  These places sell massive amounts of fresh fish on ice or in swimming in tanks. 
My favorite LIT signs ever was on one of these fresh fish displays. It read "Fish just die".

Man, do I ever miss my Vietnamese market on El Cajon Blvd. in San Diego. Mr Ngyuen had a huge tank full of catfish. You pick out your dinner, point to it, and Nguyen would smile and grab his net, climb on his chair, and scoop that sucker out. Once out, he would flop it down on the floor and with hammer in hand, pounce! A couple good whacks and you`re walking out with a beautiful, fresh fish!

sleeplessinca

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 07, 2013, 10:20:53 AM
There's another aspect of LIT that this thread brings to mind. I could think of examples but it would probably tick me off enough to abort this post so I'll describe instead. Really a mashup of Things That Annoy You, David Choade Oates Backward-Speak, and LIT;  When people say something by way of words, and you understand their meaning, but it is given in their manner of delivery, choice of words, and body language, but is not directly stated and is in fact cloaked intentionally or otherwise?  You can sense what they are communicating, but in spite of, or behind what they're saying?  Know what I mean?
<hits buzzer> Is it "implication"?

aldousburbank

<hits buzzer> What is "horseshit?"

Yorkshire pud

<hits buzzer> erm....oh wait...damn I had it...

aldousburbank

(In Canadian accent) Soorry, the answer is "What is The Walking Dead".

ziznak

mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Soup for sluts

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 07, 2013, 01:45:51 PM

"what is the walking dead" is the answer? What's the bleedin question?

sleeplessinca

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 07, 2013, 01:45:51 PM
That's so weird because I just had a someone PM me with a Walking Dead avatar.  Scary looking thing.  Is this a coinshidince?  I believe in them but sometimes they are mighty weird.