• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Breaking Bad

Started by bateman, August 09, 2013, 05:16:17 PM

bateman

Usagi

Insanely.  I didn't have time to rewatch the series before Sunday, unfortunately.  I'm refusing to read anything about it, though... I don't want anyone's pointless opinions, pseudo-analysis, and predictions tainting it for me.

coaster

Have never seen it, and don't understand the hype.

HorrorRetro

Yep.  I am just now catching up on Season 5.  I never thought I'd like the show.  I'm not one who gets sucked into a hyped up show, and I kind of pride myself on that.  But I watched episode one on Netflix and got hooked from there.  I told my daughter about it, and she was the same way.

bateman

Quote from: Usagi on August 09, 2013, 05:22:57 PM
Insanely.  I didn't have time to rewatch the series before Sunday, unfortunately.  I'm refusing to read anything about it, though... I don't want anyone's pointless opinions, pseudo-analysis, and predictions tainting it for me.

I made that mistake before season 4. Regretted it immensely.

HorrorRetro

Can someone refresh my memory?  I have totally blanked out on what happened to Skyler's boyfriend, Beneke.  Season 5 opened with him in the hospital all banged up, but I don't recall how he got that way.  :-\

bateman

Quote from: HorrorRetro on August 09, 2013, 05:36:40 PM
Can someone refresh my memory?  I have totally blanked out on what happened to Skyler's boyfriend, Beneke.  Season 5 opened with him in the hospital all banged up, but I don't recall how he got that way.  :-\

http://youtu.be/DwzDqN7foyI

Usagi

Quote from: coaster on August 09, 2013, 05:25:48 PM
Have never seen it, and don't understand the hype.

You really ought to give it a shot.  It might not sound like anything you'd give a damn about, but the perfect clarity and consistency of the story telling is at a level that I'm not sure any other series has ever attained.  It's like a really long, really good, movie.

bateman

Quote from: Usagi on August 09, 2013, 05:40:51 PM
You really ought to give it a shot.  It might not sound like anything you'd give a damn about, but the perfect clarity and consistency of the story telling is at a level that I'm not sure any other series has ever attained.  It's like a really long, really good, movie.
Heh, even the CEO of Sony thought that:

Quote"the single worst idea for a television show that I have heard in my whole life".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9538716/Breaking-Bad-Vince-Gilligan-interview.html

jazmunda

Love this show. One of the better ones on TV today.

Eddie Coyle

As someone who instinctively thinks everything sucks...I'm stunned by how much I like this show. The only "appointment television" for me.

The only appointment for me in any respect, really.

eddie dean

I just started watching BB this summer. I signed up to netflix  to watch the new season of Arrested Development and then decided to give BB a look to see what all the hype was about.
The first episode hooked me and I ended up watching the entire series (64 episodes to date) in just a few weeks.
I am so glad that I stumbled across this incredible show.
I never thought ANY show would ever come close to the Sopranos in regards to story line, writing, acting or complexity.
The creator (Vince Gilligan) who wrote a lot of X-files episodes, said he wanted to tell the story of a man living the life of Mr. Chips and turn him into Scarface. Taking the protagonist and slowing turning him into the antagonist. He has succeeded IMHO, taking a meek high school chemistry teacher and turning him into a murdering, millionare drug lord, Wow what a ride!

I love this show!
Too bad there are only 8 episodes left

BobGrau

For anyone who hasn't had the sheer joy of seeing/hearing this:

Breaking Bad Remix (Seasons 1 and 2)

jazmunda

Quote from: eddie dean on August 09, 2013, 06:21:54 PM
The creator (Vince Gilligan) who wrote a lot of X-files episodes

I did not know that. Great to know.

Just looking at his writing credits for x-files I see that he wrote many of my favorite episodes. I can see why I like his style.

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Vince_Gilligan

He even wrote the episode Drive which features Bryan Cranston.

I was on my high horse, thinking I won't get hooked on this...I just won't watch it.  Then...THEN...I read Eddie Coyle and Horror Retro "chatting" it up.  I think Usagi had good things to say about it, too.  Yeah, I'm hooked.  And OH MY GOD, I LOVE BRYAN CRANSTON! 
There.  I said it.   
I also think he's hilarious in that goofy dance thing with Stephen Colbert.  :)

coaster

I'll stick to my educational programming. /high horse

eddie dean

Quote from: BobGrau on August 09, 2013, 06:23:07 PM
For anyone who hasn't had the sheer joy of seeing/hearing this:

Breaking Bad Remix (Seasons 1 and 2)

Ha ha!
the famous crazy Howard Dean scream during the explosion is a brilliant use of sound design!! I love finding hidden in plain sight ( or sound) stuff like that.....

Edit: sorry I forgot that douches name.  john dean?  Edward dean? Howard Jonson?
thanks for the correction

bateman

Quote from: eddie dean on August 09, 2013, 07:12:13 PM
Ha ha!
the famous crazy John Edwards Howard Dean scream during the explosion is a brilliant use of sound design!! I love finding hidden in plain sight stuff like that

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on August 09, 2013, 06:58:37 PM
I did not know that. Great to know.

Just looking at his writing credits for x-files I see that he wrote many of my favorite episodes. I can see why I like his style.

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Vince_Gilligan

He even wrote the episode Drive which features Bryan Cranston.
QuoteGilligan, as a writer on The X-Files, learned the extent of Cranston's abilities when he cast the actor, who had by then had a solid but unspectacular run of mostly TV guest roles. The part was an anti-Semitic lowlife that the audience nevertheless had to grow to care about. "You needed an actor who could play this guy who is an asshole, an unpleasant redneck creep, yet at the end of the hour you need to feel bad that the guy dies," Gilligan says. "Casting bad guys is easy. Casting a bad guy you feel sympathy for is much harder."
QuoteGilligan, casting Breaking Bad's pilot, remembered Cranston from The X-Files. He, too, had a sense there was nothing Bryan couldn't do, including, he told skeptical AMC and Sony executives, transforming himself from bumbling Hal to Walter White. Cranston, for his part, knew immediately what he had. "I told my agent, 'Get me in there as fast as you can, because I know other actors are going to want to lift their leg on this.' It's like, 'I want to mark it. I want to spray it with my scent.'"

That meant coming in to his audition with a crystal-clear picture of Walt. "I actually thought of my father, how he stands hunched, burdened," he says, slumping his shoulders. "We didn't have Walt stand erect until he became Heisenberg." He also had a precise vision of everything from Walt's weight (186 pounds) to his mustache. "I said, 'I want his mustache to look impotent. I want people to look at it and go, Why bother?' I thought he should wear clothes that blend into the wall: beige, sand, taupe, khaki. His hair should be a mop. Nothing's remarkable about this man." The meeting with Gilligan, scheduled for fifteen minutes, lasted an hour and a half; Gilligan emerged committed to fighting for Cranston to get the role. And the Walter White of that pilotâ€"humiliated by his students, receiving a halfhearted birthday hand job from Skyler as she surfs eBayâ€"was so convincing, so fully hatched in his pathos, that it's impossible even now not to root for him to get up and find his inner Heisenberg.
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201308/bryan-cranston-walter-white-breaking-bad-season-6

onan

Quote from: Treading Water on August 09, 2013, 07:06:24 PM

video not on youtube...found it here. cant embed. scroll down a little.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20723765,00.html

eddie dean

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 09, 2013, 06:20:26 PM
       As someone who instinctively thinks everything sucks...I'm stunned by how much I like this show. The only "appointment television" for me.

The only appointment for me in any respect, really.

I like the AV Eddie Coyle. brings back fond memories of the Unknown Commic and the Gong Show!

I binge watched this last summer to catch up for the beginning of the last season. I never thought I'd like the show, but was hooked at the end of the first episode, too. The casting and writing are dead on, so much that it's a little weird to see Bryan Cranston or Aaron Paul out of character.

That dance video is brilliant stuff.

jazmunda

Quote from: onan on August 09, 2013, 07:20:00 PM
video not on youtube...found it here. cant embed. scroll down a little.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20723765,00.html

HA!

Geo-location blocking strikes again.

Here is the hilarious message that greeted this Aussie when trying to watch that video:

"Sorry but this video is unavailable in your location.

It is one of the detriments of living under a monarchy.

But incase you can't give up your Vegemite to move to America, then you can watch clips of The Colbert Report at www.thecomedychannel.com.au"

Well played geo-blocking software. At least you added some humor to being an asshole.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Treading Water on August 09, 2013, 07:06:24 PM
I was on my high horse, thinking I won't get hooked on this...I just won't watch it.  Then...THEN...I read Eddie Coyle and Horror Retro "chatting" it up.  I think Usagi had good things to say about it, too.  Yeah, I'm hooked.  And OH MY GOD, I LOVE BRYAN CRANSTON! 
There.  I said it.   

My youngest sister chided me for two years insisting she found a show I'd like. I relented and gave it a chance during season 3. Hooked ever since. It takes an act of Congress to get me to sit down and watch anything for more than 10 minutes.

Quote from: eddie dean on August 09, 2013, 07:45:42 PM
I like the AV Eddie Coyle. brings back fond memories of the Unknown Commic and the Gong Show!

Chuck Barris scared the shit out of me as a little kid(along with Gene Simmons and Mummenschanz) but the Unknown Comic, oddly, didn't freak me out. And the "Carl Yastrzemski" song was actually a big hit in Boston on WHDH. Disproving my "1979 is better than 2013" theory.

Sardondi

Quote from: coaster on August 09, 2013, 05:25:48 PMHave never seen it, and don't understand the hype.
It's a long, luxurious unfolding of a classic morality tale; in which the man we think is decent and even noble turns out to be a egotistical monster; and his DEA-agent brother-in-law, who we think is nothing but an overgrown jock, a locker-room bully who is caught in the past and selfishly interested in nothing but is own short-sighted and shallow desires, instead grows through immense pain and suffering into a mature, loving and even noble man who has sacrificed virtually his entire life to serve the public. My experience with it has been that at first I pulled for Walt White, the teacher, since he is such an underdog and has so many terrible hurdles put in his way. Plus he uses his great intelligence and superior knowledge of chemistry to not only succeed beyond his wildest dreams as a drug dealer, but also helps him save his life in MacGyver style so many times. And his rationalization about the drugs seduces not only him but us as well. Until ultimately he rationalizes so much that he completely destroys his conscience and becomes morally indistinguishable from the monsters who are the drug cartel members who threaten him. It's at that point that many viewers switched allegiances from Walt, and from pulling for him to succeed, to his B-in-Law Hank, the DEA agent, and want Hank to take Walt down. The last season is no real surprise, since it certainly feels like the end is a foregone conclusion, and the only suspense is how Walt will die. and whether it will be enough to atone for all the anguish he's caused and murders he's committed.

I rarely watch the shows real-time, and often wait for several weeks or months later to catch up on a season. It's just that depressing to me.

Quote from: BobGrau on August 09, 2013, 06:23:07 PMFor anyone who hasn't had the sheer joy of seeing/hearing this:
A climax which, even though I thought I had it figured out, caught me flat-footed and simply slobber-knocked me.

eddie dean

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 09, 2013, 08:58:58 PM
      My youngest sister chided me for two years insisting she found a show I'd like. I relented and gave it a chance during season 3. Hooked ever since. It takes an act of Congress to get me to sit down and watch anything for more than 10 minutes.

Chuck Barris scared the shit out of me as a little kid(along with Gene Simmons and Mummenschanz) but the Unknown Comic, oddly, didn't freak me out. And the "Carl Yastrzemski" song was actually a big hit in Boston on WHDH. Disproving my "1979 is better than 2013" theory.

Ha ha. Chuck was definitely a strange guy. That big hat he pulled down over his eyes, oh and don't forget about all those people he  killed while he was a covert CIA assassin!

Nucky Nolan

I have all of the DVDs. We just finished the fifth season. I now root for Hank and Jesse because Walt broke evil. He crossed the Rubicon when he sent the poisonous plant to the boy, and he resided in Rome as a dark emperor when he massacred Mike and his imprisoned crew.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on August 10, 2013, 12:24:52 AM
He crossed the Rubicon when he sent the poisonous plant to the boy, and he resided in Rome as a dark emperor when he massacred Mike and his imprisoned crew.

Not to mention Walt's tacit approval of the murder of the boy on the motorcycle after the train heist.