Author Topic: Things that bring me joy....  (Read 134272 times)

Re: Things that bring me joy....
« Reply #1410 on: June 09, 2019, 05:44:47 PM »

« Reply #1411 on: June 09, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »
Pork or beef? I love beef ribs because you really feel like a dinosaur or cave-man eating those big boys but pork ribs are good also.
Pork is not my favorite food, but it's very flavorful.  Even just a little can really season up a soup.  Anyhow, I've decided to eat pork a little more often, even though I know it's "unclean".  Evidently, it has 3 times as much potassium as other meat.  Does anyone know why some pork is cured, but port patties are not cured?

« Reply #1412 on: June 10, 2019, 12:15:14 AM »
Pork is not my favorite food, but it's very flavorful.  Even just a little can really season up a soup.  Anyhow, I've decided to eat pork a little more often, even though I know it's "unclean".  Evidently, it has 3 times as much potassium as other meat.  Does anyone know why some pork is cured, but port patties are not cured?

No pork for you!

Re: Things that bring me joy
« Reply #1413 on: June 10, 2019, 03:11:59 AM »
30 minutes to rib time. They have been smoking for 5-1/2 hours and my belly is rumbling. Cervantes was correct. Well, someone was.

Booze and meat, slow down big guy!!!

« Reply #1414 on: June 10, 2019, 07:27:37 AM »
No pork for you!

Coming from a turkey.

« Reply #1415 on: June 10, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
Coming from a turkey.

You get your pork from Turkey? Seems like a long way to go. It must be good.

« Reply #1416 on: June 10, 2019, 11:45:36 PM »

Re: Things that bring me joy
« Reply #1417 on: June 27, 2019, 08:09:00 AM »

« Reply #1418 on: June 28, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
Iím leaving for my annual fishing trip next Friday.  Be on the river fishing for Atlantic Salmon a week from Sunday.

« Reply #1419 on: June 28, 2019, 10:22:55 PM »
How long do the fish suffer before they die?

« Reply #1420 on: June 28, 2019, 10:40:00 PM »
How long do the fish suffer before they die?
Well, if Iím keeping them they will be stabbed in the head and die quickly.  I usually donít keep them so I make sure they are swimming ok then release them.  But, perhaps I should just stab them all in the head and toss them back in the river.  That way no one will be tempted to eat them.

« Reply #1421 on: June 28, 2019, 10:49:19 PM »
Well, if Iím keeping them they will be stabbed in the head and die quickly.  I usually donít keep them so I make sure they are swimming ok then release them.  But, perhaps I should just stab them all in the head and toss them back in the river.  That way no one will be tempted to eat them.
Different type of fishing- but I'm suspect about the whole bladder-deal you have to do if they aren't of proper length/size down here in the Gulf. Supposedly helps them live but still, really? Good luck, and good fishing! Post pics!

« Reply #1422 on: June 28, 2019, 10:53:34 PM »
Different type of fishing- but I'm suspect about the whole bladder-deal you have to do if they aren't of proper length/size down here in the Gulf. Supposedly helps them live but still, really? Good luck, and good fishing! Post pics!
Since they are Salmon we will spend as much time as necessary to resuscitate them.  I caught a 33Ē one last year that looked fine but went belly up after a few feet.  We spent 10 minutes moving water through it gills until it could swim away.  If one is on the line for more than 15 minutes weíll break it of so it wonít tire itself to death.

« Reply #1423 on: June 28, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »
Since they are Salmon we will spend as much time as necessary to resuscitate them.  I caught a 33Ē one last year that looked fine but went belly up after a few feet.  We spent 10 minutes moving water through it gills until it could swim away.  If one is on the line for more than 15 minutes weíll break it of so it wonít tire itself to death.
WOW

I'm totally catch and release, like we do with illegal aliens,  or catch and eat, depending on type, where/what we are doing, etc. But never waste or want to hurt. Though will kill or shoot some non native or trash fish. I'm just suspect of some of the bladder-release deals for deep water species because idt most know how and if , really, efficacy. But I'm no expert. Supposedly when done it keeps them alive.
Have a good time and good fishing!

« Reply #1424 on: June 28, 2019, 11:47:07 PM »
WOW

I'm totally catch and release, like we do with illegal aliens,  or catch and eat, depending on type, where/what we are doing, etc. But never waste or want to hurt. Though will kill or shoot some non native or trash fish. I'm just suspect of some of the bladder-release deals for deep water species because idt most know how and if , really, efficacy. But I'm no expert. Supposedly when done it keeps them alive.
Have a good time and good fishing!

It makes me so mad how salmon fishermen here (including my brother) treat the various cod-type fishes (good-sized ling and another not so spiky I don't have a clear ID on) they accidentally catch as nuisances and let the poor bloated things drift away.  They are good, noble fishes in their own right and I could make a lot of fiskeboller out of one of those.

« Reply #1425 on: June 30, 2019, 03:04:24 AM »
Sounds like the head stab goes quickly.  Nice of you to prevent undue suffering  :).  I knew my dad was wrong just to let them suffocate in a bucket.