• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Why the hell am I listening to this buffoon?

Started by Tony Inchpractice, May 12, 2013, 10:23:37 AM

As I was listening to George Noory on C2C the other day a question occurred to me;

Why the hell am I listening to this buffoon? He sucks!

Then, one Google search later, I found this forum.

I won't rehash the accurate and very amusing comments others have made but will give my opinion on the C2C hosts thus:

Ian Punnett - Not much to say really as his voice, intonation and manner annoy me so much I’ve never managed to listen to more than about 15 minutes of one of his shows. I will say however, that I have had tinnitus all my life and manage to deal with it without all the fuss Punnett makes.

George Noory - Possibly the worst interviewer I’ve ever heard. A good interview is, essentially, a conversation steered skillfully by the host to interesting topics of which the guest has knowledge. It seems the only skill GN has is to read from a list of questions prepared in advance and to throw in some of his many catchphrases; “Well that’s true, as well”, “Make sure you’re part of that program”, “A classic Coast to Coast show”. I very rarely listen when GN is the host.

John B Wells - Not bad but not good either. My criticism of JBW is that he doesn’t seem to know how to succinctly ask a question. He will, instead, ramble on for several minutes asking several questions then summarize by saying something along the lines of, “I guess my question is...”. In this case, some pre-prepared questions might actually be a good idea! I love his voice but not his slow and pause ridden delivery. I occasionally listen when JBW is the host. It depends on the topic.

George Knapp - Generally very good. He asks good questions, listens to the answers then asks pertinent follow up questions. He speaks with good pace and clarity and genuinely seems interested in what his guests have to say. Personally, I find the shows he presents more interesting than those from any other host. I almost always listen when GK is the host.

Having listened to the entire archive of shows presented by GK and because he is the host so rarely, I now listen to Henrik Palmgren on Red Ice Radio. Henrik is obviously an intelligent man who is interested in many different subjects. He takes control of his interviews, asks intelligent questions and engages the guest in conversation. This, and the fact his website isn’t littered with adverts for crazy pseudo medical products, make listening to his show an enjoyable experience, unlike C2C these days.

Welcome aboard!   I think your summary of the current lineup hits pretty close to spot-on with most of us.  It is always good to hear from a fellow inmate in this purgatory of radio that once was so heavenly.

Jfredmuggs

I gave up listening to Noory for these very reasons.  After a time, however, I began listening when there was a quality guest booked.  (Not the cretinous Numbers Lady, e.g.)  Then it hit me:  that people can be gulled into birther and truther BS depends on shows like Noory's, where anything can be true on any particular day.  Now I listen in order to prepare myself to defend against the next wave of errant nonsense to come washing over us--I will hear it on C2C first.

WOTR

Quote from: Jfredmuggs on July 07, 2013, 01:40:40 PM
Now I listen in order to prepare myself to defend against the next wave of errant nonsense to come washing over us--I will hear it on C2C first.
That is interesting.  I fear that you are correct in your assessment of modern day Coast material.  I will have to monitor the few people in my life who I know are easily influenced by media and see how much time passes between Coast mentioning that Sandy Hook was just a hoax and them bringing up the conspiracy...

zeebo

Dammit I was just asking myself this same question.

starrmtn001

Quote from: WOTR on July 08, 2013, 01:57:12 AM
That is interesting.  I fear that you are correct in your assessment of modern day Coast material.  I will have to monitor the few people in my life who I know are easily influenced by media and see how much time passes between Coast mentioning that Sandy Hook was just a hoax and them bringing up the conspiracy...
About 3 years. ;)

zeebo

Quote from: username on January 07, 2017, 03:11:54 AM
I'm sure that has a lot to do with nostalgia

Other possibilities:

* Radio knob broke off and stuck on station
* Cable tv outage
* Hoping for paranormaldate discount offer
* Turmeric obsession
* A smidgen of self-loathing