• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bacon - The Wonder Drug

Started by Sardondi, May 08, 2013, 06:42:40 AM

Sardondi

105-year-old woman says the secret to her longevity is eating bacon, every single day. ww.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/07/105-year-old-woman-says-eating-bacon-every-day-is-her-key-to-long-life/

In the words of the marvelous Professor Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/ from which I lifted this story, "Bacon: Is there anything it can't do?"

Yorkshire pud

Well...it can't fly like a pig.  :)

jazmunda

I hate those people who live long lives and attribute it to unhealthy eating, pack a day smoking and drinking excessively. I did those things and I was on my way to an early grave. As a result I had to eat rabbit food, give up the smokes and go dry as a dead dogs dong and now I want to die. Go figure.

Sardondi

Quote from: jazmunda on May 08, 2013, 07:46:12 AM
I hate those people who live long lives and attribute it to unhealthy eating, pack a day smoking and drinking excessively. I did those things and I was on my way to an early grave. As a result I had to eat rabbit food, give up the smokes and go dry as a dead dogs dong and now I want to die. Go figure.
I think we'll find genetics is to diet/exercise/etc., to paraphrase Napoleon's comment about the relationship of the moral to the physical, "as 3 is to 1". Genetics is king of the hill.

jazmunda

Quote from: Sardondi on May 08, 2013, 07:53:37 AM
I think we'll find genetics is to diet/exercise/etc., to paraphrase Napoleon's comment about the relationship of the moral to the physical, "as 3 is to 1". Genetics is king of the hill.

Great! Then I was dealt a shitty hand. I fold.

Sardondi

Quote from: jazmunda on May 08, 2013, 08:01:58 AM
Nah, that's why they made all those incredible drugs which work together to extend our unaltered lifespans by as much as 40% otherwise....which of course as things stand Obamacare will almost certainly make unavailable.

But maybe bacon itself is indeed a wonder drug. All those nitrites we were worried about. They're preservatives after all....and maybe they do indeed preserve human life by pickling all our organs.

stevesh

Genetics is king of the hill.

No, your body's Ph balance is everything. Don't you listen to Noory's expert guests ?

Eddie Coyle

With cacogenesis trumping all. And apparently it being airbourne.

Juan

I've been reading up lately - it turns out that lard, which we were told to avoid, is filled with Omega 3s.

Sardondi

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 08, 2013, 11:23:04 AM
I've been reading up lately - it turns out that lard, which we were told to avoid, is filled with Omega 3s.
This is why I stopped listening to all the Chicken Little studies about food. The only science that is settled is that we're always learning stuff which changes what we thought we knew.

coaster

I can't really remember the last time I had bacon. I don't really understand why people like it so much. It has absolutely nothing to do with why that woman has lived to such an age. Its all genetics. I imagine her parents have lived long lives as well.
The only surefire way to live past 100 is by freebasing tumeric.

Pragmier

... and in case anyone missed this very thorough study from early this year:

QuoteResults showed that overweight people were six per cent less likely to die during the average study period. Mildly obese people had a five per cent lower rate of premature death.

According to new research this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), researchers say that being overweight may lead to a longer life."We published an article in 2005 that showed, among other things, that [being] overweight was associated with lower mortality â€" and we got an awful lot of negative feedback from that," Katherine Flegal, a senior research scientist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the study’s lead author, told Time.

Before you go make a lard sandwich keep in mind it was the slightly overweight and stage 1 obesity that showed benefits - the significantly obese group did result in lower life spans. And they measured mortality, not a specific cause of death. But isn't mortality the bottom line? Still, results run counter to the line we've been fed - no pun intended.

http://rt.com/news/overweight-live-longer-study-238/
http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/02/being-overweight-is-linked-to-lower-risk-of-mortality/

Tinfoil Hat

I'm not sure I'd want my life extended even if Obamacare would pay for it. That would probably just mean a few more years spent waiting to die in the old folks' home assisted living facility.

As things are now, my work insurance has a $1,000 deductible which is almost a month's take-home pay, so in effect, I have no coverage. It would be hard to come up with anything that does less for me than that.

With those things in mind, I'll be enjoying my bacon and other bad-for-you foods with gusto.

ItsOver

Quote from: Tinfoil Hat on May 08, 2013, 06:12:31 PM

...With those things in mind, I'll be enjoying my bacon and other bad-for-you foods with gusto.

I'm enjoying fresh-baked cinnamon rolls right now.  Man..they are great!  ;D

Sardondi

Quote from: ItsOver on May 08, 2013, 06:40:10 PM

I'm enjoying fresh-baked cinnamon rolls right now.  Man..they are great!  ;D
Oh, but the terrible, imponderable decision that accompanies those rolls: black, manly coffee or ice-cold WHOLE milk?

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 08, 2013, 11:23:04 AM

It's back to biscuits and pie crust for me! Woo hoo!

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on May 08, 2013, 11:54:08 PM
Oh, but the terrible, imponderable decision that accompanies those rolls: black, manly coffee or ice-cold WHOLE milk?

Since it was close to this "little boy's" bedtime, it was ice-cold milk.  I slept as if it was a Noory-free world and Art still ruled the airwaves.  Wait... if AB was still ruling the night, I'd be just a bit on the sleepy side this morning.  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on May 09, 2013, 04:50:13 AM

It's back to biscuits and pie crust for me! Woo hoo!

Ah, yes!  Lard for biscuits, pie crust, and in these southwestern realms, a must for tamales.  When you can't be "in your face" with the blatant use of bacon, you can usually sneak in some lard for that porky goodness.

Quote from: jazmunda on May 08, 2013, 08:01:58 AM

Don`t buy the hype. Your family history may not be a rosy picture, but most genetic predispositions can be easily overcome with a few  key  lifestyle modifications. Quitting tobacco products is probably the single most significantly positive change you can make in order to improve your quality - as well as quantity - of life.

I observed 2 people, very close to me, die of lung cancer and emphysema. Both in their early 60`s. If you don`t believe another thing you read on this forum, I would implore you to believe this: lung cancer is not  the way you want to leave this life! Do whatever you must in order to remain a non-smoker.

Beyond that,  I`d recommend consuming a primarily plant-based diet and staying away from all processed foods. Oh, and get some regular exercise. You should live a long, healthy live.

Frys Girl

What a dumb woman. She has good DNA, and that's all there is to it. I'm a fish/shrimp/scallop eating vegetarian. I can't stand to eat beef and pork, and have recently cut chicken. I'm healthier and happier overall. Also, I don't trust the meat industry and the food supply it comes from.

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 09, 2013, 11:26:51 AM
What a dumb woman. She has good DNA, and that's all there is to it. I'm a fish/shrimp/scallop eating vegetarian. I can't stand to eat beef and pork, and have recently cut chicken. I'm healthier and happier overall. Also, I don't trust the meat industry and the food supply it comes from.

I echo your sentiments. I went "veganish" after I turned 50. The single, best decision of my life. My only regret is I didn`t do it sooner!

The meat and dairy industries are powerful, with tremendous leverage in DC. I would love to see that change while I still walk this planet.

Sardondi

Quote from: lonevoice on May 12, 2013, 05:50:49 PM
Heh. I go back to the days when dissecting a fetal pig was a requirement of Biology 101. I always looked at that thing, and thought, "Hmm. Get rid of the formaldehyde and the red, blue and yellow latex in the circulatory system, and a fetal pig is just about right for the tenderest, most succulent 1-person roast piglet ever.

But with the formaldehyde ruining it, all a fetal pig was good for after dissection was for mailing to someone through the campus Post Office. Yikes.

ItsOver

Here you go, Sardondi.  To heck with pig products.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22233951/un-says-why-not-eat-more-insects

How would like your meal worms?  Crunchy or a little on the soft side? 

Quote from: Sardondi on May 12, 2013, 11:28:42 PM
Heh. I go back to the days when dissecting a fetal pig was a requirement of Biology 101. I always looked at that thing, and thought, "Hmm. Get rid of the formaldehyde and the red, blue and yellow latex in the circulatory system, and a fetal pig is just about right for the tenderest, most succulent 1-person roast piglet ever.

But with the formaldehyde ruining it, all a fetal pig was good for after dissection was for mailing to someone through the campus Post Office. Yikes.

Have you no conscience, sir? How could you butcher and consume such a - dare I say - cute, little varmint?

Sardondi

Quote from: ItsOver on May 13, 2013, 10:22:19 AM
Here you go, Sardondi.  To heck with pig products. http://www.myfoxny.com/story/22233951/un-says-why-not-eat-more-insects How would like your meal worms?  Crunchy or a little on the soft side?
I saw that. I say have at it. Better mealies than Soylent Green. But that shouldn't have to be the choice, at least in India. But there we have out of control population growth, together with the ridiculous incongruity of millions of cattle and pigs roaming the highways and byways unmolested and uneaten. well, if you won;t take advantage of your overabundance of resources, I guess you have to consider eating bugs. I am not as sympathetic for starvation in India as I am for Africa. But obvious, self-defeating choices are many in both locations.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on May 13, 2013, 10:28:20 AM
Have you no conscience, sir? How could you butcher and consume such a - dare I say - cute, little varmint?
I saw your post about your quasi-veganism. I'm happy for you. Yes, I can butcher that cute little varmint, and bunches of its brothers and sisters too. I have butchered all manner of animals which I raised, even named. I named about a dozen piglets which I raised to pig size, and then carried them to the packing plant. Best not to treat them like pets though, because they aren't. They're protein - housed in the best form ever found for delivering a whole bunch of high quality, usable protein for a lot of people. Meat: it's what's for life.

Quote from: Sardondi on May 13, 2013, 11:30:49 AM

I saw your post about your quasi-veganism. I'm happy for you. Yes, I can butcher that cute little varmint, and bunches of its brothers and sisters too. I have butchered all manner of animals which I raised, even named. I named about a dozen piglets which I raised to pig size, and then carried them to the packing plant. Best not to treat them like pets though, because they aren't. They're protein - housed in the best form ever found for delivering a whole bunch of high quality, usable protein for a lot of people. Meat: it's what's for life.

You dirty savage, you!  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on May 13, 2013, 11:30:49 AM
I saw that. I say have at it. Better mealies than Soylent Green. But that shouldn't have to be the choice, at least in India. But there we have out of control population growth, together with the ridiculous incongruity of millions of cattle and pigs roaming the highways and byways unmolested and uneaten. well, if you won;t take advantage of your overabundance of resources, I guess you have to consider eating bugs. I am not as sympathetic for starvation in India as I am for Africa. But obvious, self-defeating choices are many in both locations.

I'm waiting for Bloomberg to issue a mandatory edict for the denizens of NYC to eat a minimum number of bugs a day so he can feel good.  ;)

Sardondi

Quote from: FightTheFuture on May 13, 2013, 11:40:00 AM
You dirty savage, you!  ;D
Red in tooth and claw! Heh.

Quote from: ItsOver on May 13, 2013, 11:43:06 AM
I'm waiting for Bloomberg to issue a mandatory edict for the denizens of NYC to eat a minimum number of bugs a day so he can feel good.  ;)
Did you see where Bloomberg went absolutely apeshit last week when a pizzeria owner refused to serve him more than one slice of pizza? It happened. Bloomberg was doing some photo op talking with (I think) some labor rep about something, and he gets up from the table and asks for another slice. The owner says, "I've determined that more than one slice isn't good for you Mayor. You can't have any more."

Bloomberg says, "Oh, I get it. The soda thing. Funny. But I want another slice. I'm hungry. So get back there and get me another fucking slice of pizza, jackass."

"No. You've reached your personal limit.".

Bloomberg went bleeding-from-the-eyes crazy. He starts screaming, the owner holds his ground. Eventually Bloomberg goes down the street to get pizza from someone who has less backbone.

*update* Here's the story: http://dailycurrant.com/2013/05/02/bloomberg-refused-second-slice-of-pizza-at-local-restaurant/

ItsOver

Hahahaha.... ;D , I missed that Sardondi. ;)  Hilarious, but I'll have to admit, not surprising, even if it is just a joke article.  Bloomberg is the epitome of the elite statist who believe in "do as I say, not as I do."  I would have told that a$$hat "NO PIZZA FOR YOU!!!  OUTTA HERE!!!"