• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Have you ever been busted listening to Coast?

Started by jazmunda, April 24, 2013, 12:07:37 AM

jazmunda

Like the topic says, have you ever been busted listening to Coast? Whilst not as embarrassing or consequential as being busted doing some other activities has someone who doesn't share or know about your proclivity for listening to the weird and out there radio that is Coast (or what it used to be)? What was their reaction? Were you embarrassed? Did you proudly stand up for yourself and your weird secret shame?

I listen to Classic Art Bell shows on my iPod which is connected to my car speakers. My co-worker needed to drive my car the other day as I had parked behind him in a tandem car spot and blocked him in. I had left my keys in my office so he could move my car if I wasn't back in time but I had forgotten to switch off my iPod. So my co-worker gets back to the office after lunch and he yells at the top of his voice in front of all my other co-workers, "what the hell were you playing in the car about angels and ghosts and all that paranormal junk." It took all my willpower to stop me jumping out of our first floor window onto the street below and run for the hills in shame and embarrassment. Everyone who heard started laughing and I felt like I was in the third grade and was standing in front of the class naked. I fobbed it off and said it was my wife's iPod that she had left in the car but I don't think anybody believed that.

Anyway, I like the paranormal and all that material but it just doesn't seem to be accepted by the wider community and there is a stigma put on those who believe or want to believe or are at least open minded.

Anyone else have similar stories?

ziznak

lol.  I tell some friends about my "secret shame."  Sometimes its on when I have friends stop by... Nobody has given me any crap about it... ... ... to my face at least.

Mr. Hanky

I actually have no problem telling friends/family/co-workers that I listen. I tell them about some of the crazy shit and people on C2C and we all laugh about it. I don't even think twice about it.

Now, if I had C2C on in the bathroom taking a #2 on the porcelain throne upstairs and my girlfriend walked in by accident and heard Noory's voice, she would probably break up with me due to mental abuse.

You probably better be careful, Jazmunda... you can get hairy hands and go blind if you keep on listening to that stuff!  ;)

Eddie Coyle

Many,many years ago, 1996-99 AD, my co-workers on the overnight shift would dread when it was my turn to pick what we listened to(once every 10 days or so). "That fuckin UFO show" was how a few them viewed C2C . As luck would have it, the day I got to choose there would inevitably be some quack or fool like Ed Dames. Y2K subjects didn't help things either. My ex-wife really hated that subject, she didn't really care about C2C one way or another, but if Y2K was mentioned, she'd waste no time talking about what a foolish hype job it was.

RedMichael

I try to explain like this: People watch fictional TV and movies where people are getting paid to pretend it is real. Some shit is far out there. C2C is like that, people are getting paid to pretend it is real but as an added bonus, there are people crazy enough to believe it is real and interactions with crazy people calling in.

Even when I explain it like that. Someone is actually listening to C2C for entertainment purposes and doesn't believe 99% of the stuff, they can't make that correlation with 99% of TV/Movies being fake. The subject doesn't come up very often.

For whatever reason it is hard for people to think of radio as entertainment like TV. It may be why so many people eat C2C's and Alex Jones' BS up like it is legit.

ksm32

Ive been "kinda busted".. by a customer who came home for lunch while I was working in her home, the Phoenix Lights show was playing on my boombox. Yes, I made an excuse! "oh, it's just a random radio show on sirious" I said as i brushed it off.
Now, I get defensive about it and confront the person (not customers) if anyone says anything, they're all fat and addicted to tabloid tv etc, it's easy to win when I am at least giving myself a food for thought kind of mental diet.
Why!!!??? can't anyone walk in while a fantastic physics show is on!?  :-\

Heather Wade

Nope.  Never busted in thrall.

I have tried to listen with a few people, but they can't shut up and listen.  They talk over the show and it's annoying.  Every time.   ::)

b_dubb

Coast is the radio equivalent of a ridiculous tabloid newspaper. That's always been true but now w/ Dave it is a tabloid newspaper fit only for lining a bird cage

Falkie2013

IF you mean in a criminal sense, yes and literally.

Late one night I stopped to get a Pepsi ( my old huge Slim Jim beef Jerky Pepsi container with Randy " Macho Man's " face on it that held 128 oz of Pepsi ) and some pretzels.

It was pitch dark when I got onto the freeway just north of San Rafael and nary a car in sight.

After about 2 miles, and listening to Art Bell all the while, I saw this white UFO ... car following me but one lane over.

The car never varied its speed and eventually wound up behind my car and was tailgating me for over 5 miles.

I didn't know what in the hell the driver of the other car was doing and since it was a 2 lane road, I got nervous as hell.

So ... I sped up to 70 and suddenly the red lights were on and the car was an unmarked Marin Sherriffs car or CHP, I can't remember.

The cop pulled me over, asked if I'd been drinking.

I said only Pepsi and eating pretzels and listening to Art Bell. It was by then about 2:10 am and it was when Art was at the height of his fame.

So, the sob gave me a ticket for driving 70 in a 65. I wrote a protest on the ticket at length, showed up to court and was prepared to tell the judge why I sped up, but the sob never showed up to court and the case and ticket were dismissed.

Its creepy enough driving on a dark road in the middle of the night without some unknown car following you for miles.

I was really pissed about it when it happened.

Luckily it never happened again.

I do wonder what the judge would have said if I'd told him I had been listening to Art Bell.

;D

Quote from: Falkie2013 on September 07, 2013, 03:39:34 AM

I do wonder what the judge would have said if I'd told him I had been listening to Art Bell.
"Listening to Art Bell? Well then, case dismissed."

Well, in academic circles, I might be hesitant to say, "Hey, I was listening to C2C (or even Art Bell) the other night and...."  I think I'd get some smirky looks.  I often hear academics (at least in English) apologizing or explaining a reading or viewing choice.  Sci-fi doesn't seem to garner much respect; I guess everyone wants everyone else to believe that they go to bed each night reading Moby Dick or The Brothers Karamazov.  I suspect the same sort of reaction to C2C would be found among the science/research people.

Why would you be ashamed of listening to C2C?

At least it isn't as bad as sports talk radio. Nothing says "I have no life" more than discussing the Cleveland indians starting lineup at 3am in the middle of December

Tinfoil Hat

The one time I got "busted" listening to C2C was when my girlfriend dropped by unexpectedly and only caught the tail end of an off-the-rails guest (JC? Bitch Mattress? "No Shame" Dames? it's lost to time). When she asked me what in the heck I was listening to, I told her it was the Tinfoil Hat network.

stenjay

Every time my wife hears me listening to Art.  She is a sweetheart, though, and did listen to the entire first Dark Matter with me, even though she thinks it's creepy.  I guess I found a keeper  ;)

onan

Quote from: stenjay on September 27, 2013, 11:19:37 PM
Every time my wife hears me listening to Art.  She is a sweetheart, though, and did listen to the entire first Dark Matter with me, even though she thinks it's creepy.  I guess I found a keeper  ;)

Or maybe she is an alien... sent to keep you in check. ;D