• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

bateman

Quote from: HorrorReporter on March 01, 2015, 08:07:10 PM
The major consensus of this board seems to favor Scrhrader on a personal level and respect for Darkness Radio.. But each time he talks about noory and advertises Gaiam tv, I get this lump in my throat and he seems to lose the Teflon appeal a bit..

I really really like him. On his show.
On Coast I cringe with each product placement he's forced into..

I know.. National exposure . I get it .. But what is he giving up for that exposure.. And to what end?

I completely agree. This is exactly why I decided against doing it - if they're basically eliminating creative control by picking the guests/topics (and by the way, they tend to spring these shows on the hosts last minute, so you don't even have much time to prep for it) then what exactly is the point? Suffering through the ramblings of a deranged guest on a topic you could care less about & reading ads for Jorch's "TV" show for a couple hundred bucks hardly seems worth it.

albrecht

Quote from: BattyBrooke on March 01, 2015, 01:20:27 AM
Do all psychics chain smoke? This psychic detective has the same tone as Sylvia Browne (RIP).
There is a well known correlation between some mental conditions, like schizophrenia and cigarette smoking. Just saying with some of these guests.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2613326/
"Schizophrenia is a common mental illness with a high prevalence of smoking. More than 80% of schizophrenics smoke compared to 25% of the general population. Both schizophrenia and tobacco use have strong genetic components, which may overlap. It has been suggested that smoking in schizophrenia may be a form of self-medication in an attempt to treat an underlying biological pathology."

Quote from: bateman on March 01, 2015, 08:16:31 PM
I completely agree. This is exactly why I decided against doing it - if they're basically eliminating creative control by picking the guests/topics (and by the way, they tend to spring these shows on the hosts last minute, so you don't even have much time to prep for it) then what exactly is the point? Suffering through the ramblings of a deranged guest on a topic you could care less about & reading ads for Jorch's "TV" show for a couple hundred bucks hardly seems worth it.

I would be curious if Schrader is locked into some kind of contract ...

Quote from: bateman on March 01, 2015, 08:16:31 PM

A couple hundred a night for a host who only appears a couple times a month?  That's it?  That's the reward for prostitutung yourself to C2C?

Quote from: albrecht on March 01, 2015, 08:21:35 PM
There is a well known correlation between some mental conditions, like schizophrenia and cigarette smoking. Just saying with some of these guests.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2613326/
"Schizophrenia is a common mental illness with a high prevalence of smoking. More than 80% of schizophrenics smoke compared to 25% of the general population. Both schizophrenia and tobacco use have strong genetic components, which may overlap. It has been suggested that smoking in schizophrenia may be a form of self-medication in an attempt to treat an underlying biological pathology."

Interesting stuff.  That link never came up in my neuropsychology classes.

bateman

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on March 01, 2015, 09:09:39 PM
A couple hundred a night for a host who only appears a couple times a month?  That's it?  That's the reward for prostitutung yourself to C2C?

$250 per show I believe.

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on March 01, 2015, 09:28:02 PM
$250 per show I believe.
I find that number hard to believe but, then again, $250, or whatever, is still a chance to get on the national airwaves (maybe get picked up by someone else,) and I think he has several children and so every bit counts (and/or also a way to get outta the house ;)) Also many of his guests have been on his own show, Darkness Radio, before they appear on his C2C appearances....so easy work and no prep necessary (often the original Darkness broadcast was better actually.) Just my 2 cents. I think he is ok and has some promise. Seems to buy into "guests and paranormal" a bit too much and often gives them an "out" if a caller asks a question or even if he asks a question that hits hard. But better than Norry.

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on March 01, 2015, 09:12:28 PM
Interesting stuff.  That link never came up in my neuropsychology classes.
I recall some talk of this in school but just in a survey class a long time ago. Onan brought it up in more detail on another political thread a while back with me. I'm not a scientist and haven't read all the details of the various studies- just the abstracts. And the correlation doesn't imply causation, of course, in either direction or there could be other causes (schizophrenia, and other mental illnesses, might, for example, "put you on the street" or even "into a 12 step program or group meetings", where more people smoke and so you take it up etc etc.) But I do recall some stuff about the "self-medicating" showing some validity. Onan mentioned nicotine in helping with "sensory gating". Even a simple google search will get you many articles. As always, pay attention to sources and actual studies. ;) A C2C guest, a MD even, once had a whole show about how smoking is good for you and even fought cancer.

cweb

Quote from: HorrorReporter on March 01, 2015, 08:23:27 PM
I would be curious if Schrader is locked into some kind of contract ...
Isn't Darkness Radio somehow linked into CC/iHeartMedia too? Is there a distribution deal? I can't help but think there's another reason aside from exposure that Dave guest hosts C2C.

I agree with the cringe-worthiness of Dave's reads for Gaiam or other stuff. I still think he's one of the better weekend hosts, though.

qaddisin

Caught the first part of the show last night. It was like listening to a couple of dudebros shotgunning Natty Ice, swapping stories about all the ghosts they've fucked and yelling "Do you even ghost, bro?" at people. Then, between Jagerbombs they summoned the spirit of Evelyn Paglini, who became a drunk gypsy in the afterlife. Dudebro ghost hunters are intense.

bateman

Quote from: albrecht on March 01, 2015, 09:40:50 PM
I find that number hard to believe but, then again, $250, or whatever, is still a chance to get on the national airwaves (maybe get picked up by someone else,) and I think he has several children and so every bit counts (and/or also a way to get outta the house ;)) Also many of his guests have been on his own show, Darkness Radio, before they appear on his C2C appearances....so easy work and no prep necessary (often the original Darkness broadcast was better actually.) Just my 2 cents. I think he is ok and has some promise. Seems to buy into "guests and paranormal" a bit too much and often gives them an "out" if a caller asks a question or even if he asks a question that hits hard. But better than Norry.

Believe me, they'd pay less if they could. $250 per shift is SAG-AFTRA base rate for on-air work.

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on March 01, 2015, 10:21:26 PM
Believe me, they'd pay less if they could. $250 per shift is SAG-AFTRA base rate for on-air work.
I believe you considering your show (which I love) and not knowing anything about radio work except listening. If so it seems low pay to me but considering even plumbers or the guy who pumps out my septic tank have a skill set, or in one case a dirty job and environmental regulations to deal with, and solve real problems and get paid more, so I will believe you.

Quote from: cweb on March 01, 2015, 10:03:07 PM
Isn't Darkness Radio somehow linked into CC/iHeartMedia too? Is there a distribution deal? I can't help but think there's another reason aside from exposure that Dave guest hosts C2C.

I agree with the cringe-worthiness of Dave's reads for Gaiam or other stuff. I still think he's one of the better weekend hosts, though.

Yes, Schraeder works for Clear Channel/Iheart so I imagine he's not paid much to do these shows. Plus, he probably thinks its a wise move to promote Noory's show.  When his contract comes up for renewal, he can point out what a good team player he is.  Sometime you have to kiss ass if you want to get ahead.

Schraeder is definitely the best host of C2C outside of Knapp.

Quote from: bateman on March 01, 2015, 10:21:26 PM

Seems like the best thing to do is become a nurse and then radio host as a hobby.

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 01, 2015, 11:21:15 PM
Seems like the best thing to do is become a nurse and then radio host as a hobby.
I removed my comment and sanctioned myself with regard to radio hosts as a hobby and certain Oriental types who often are found doing great jobs in nursing. reported myself.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 01, 2015, 11:21:15 PM

Shit, when you are a nurse there's no time for hobbies.  You work, eat and sleep for 96 hours and then have to spend the next day or 2 to recharge. 

pate

Alex Jones!

I hae con tha; dotes...

pate

That is all...

Carry on...

pate

George meant "paradoahila"...

sydtron

Jesus. This first guys a knob.   Mal Evans did NOT come up with the "Lonely Hearts Club Band" concept

pate

Photograph would have to be a KodaChrome...

mice try...

pate

Goan, yo' bad slef....

Quote from: bateman on March 01, 2015, 04:42:25 PM
C2C staff pick the guests/topics for everyone except Knapp as I understand it.

I asked Schrader and he stated if he wants to interview a guest, he sends in the information and they try to work them in for a future show he does.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: goldendeal on March 01, 2015, 02:55:24 AM
Noreen Renier

This is how I pictured her!

Btw, by the crickets on this thread, I take it no one listens to Schrader. Ever.

goldendeal

For better or worse, I’m listening. To early to tell if the show will be a bust. Has to better than last night...right?  right...?