• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Astronomers find potentially habitable planet nearby

Started by ItsOver, December 19, 2012, 12:45:45 PM

ItsOver

Interesting discovery.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9234895/Astronomers_find_potentially_habitable_planet_nearby?taxonomyId=18

Tau Ceti was one of the stars on a potential star map that was derived from the Betty and Barney Hill UFO case.

[attachimg=1]

Jasmine

Our universe, with its untold number of galaxies, suns, planets, moons...how wondrous to behold, and how humbling. I'm simply in awe of it. I love visiting Planetariums.

I cannot comprehend how anyone can entertain the notion that we humans are the only life in existence. Poppycock! What mystifying, incredible worlds with incredible beings are out there? Ah! to journey to the stars!

A man said to the universe: “Sir, I exist!"
“However,” replied the universe, “The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation.”

"How many miles to Babylon?"
"Four score and ten"
"Can I get there by candlelight?"
"Yes, and back again."

Jasmine

Quote from: ItsOver on December 19, 2012, 12:45:45 PM
Tau Ceti was one of the stars on a potential star map that was derived from the Betty and Barney Hill UFO case.

Absolutely fascinating.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Jasmine on December 19, 2012, 01:04:17 PM

I cannot comprehend how anyone can entertain the notion that we humans are the only life in existence. Poppycock!

i agree. 

for every grain of sand on planet earth, there are 1,000,000 stars known to exist in the universe.  try and think about that.  the human mind can't comprehend it.  that number is probably conservative, actually.  a huge percentage of those stars are  in solar systems.  the math makes it CERTAIN there is other life out there.  i think most people who believe otherwise are probably engaging in some form of religious protectionism.

Jasmine

Quote from: Em Vee on December 19, 2012, 01:17:48 PM

i agree. 

for every grain of sand on planet earth, there are 1,000,000 stars known to exist in the universe.  try and think about that.  the human mind can't comprehend it.  that number is probably conservative, actually.  a huge percentage of those stars are  in solar systems.  the math makes it CERTAIN there is other life out there.  i think most people who believe otherwise are probably engaging in some form of religious protectionism.

Beautifully and perfectly stated. It's rather unfortunate that the very real realm of extraterrestrial life and existence is so mocked, scorned, and belittled by man in order to provide him with a fragile sense of importance. To deny omnipresence is to deny ourselves. What grave injustice we do to our kind. What sealed boxes we place our minds and our selves in. "They" are most definitely out there, of that I have no doubt whatsoever. "They" have been visiting here well before our species came into existence. And they have left clues here...remnants of their voyages from worlds afar.

Jasmine

It is from Earth that our souls shall one day depart, and it is Earth, or other worlds, where our souls will one day choose to return in physical form and inhabit. We reunite with those who have made the journey prior to our own. A voyage to worlds that no human language, dialect, music, or sound can possibly describe or understand. We are all cosmic travelers.

How many miles to Babylon?

The Detailed Universe This will Blow Your Mind

ziznak

Nice I love that Brahman Atman stuff.  Still it just sounds like a really nice way to think of things that I myself am unable to fully subscribe to.  I'm just a cynical asshole as it turns out.  This news is very interesting.  I have less trouble believing in aliens than I do god the like.  For some reason I can't logically say that we would be the only intelligence in such a huge universe.  I haven't totally written off religion though it's just I'll never have the proof I need to believe anything until I've already shed my flesh.

Interesting news though... just think they found that Gliese 581 system only a few years back and thats like 20 light years away... Tau Ceti is 12... maybe in a couple years we can find even closer systems and get some money to SETI or somebody that can monitor these systems.  Find out whose been fucking with our cattle!!

Jasmine

Ziznak, my dear, I never once alluded to "God" or a God-like figure/presence in my statement. I don't believe in nor do I subscribe to man-made organized religious dogma or theories. In my humble opinion, organized religion is the bane of our earthly existence.  I was raised Roman Catholic, and stopped drinking that kool-aid years ago. The Vatican is one of the most evil, corrupt, crime-ridden institutions on this planet. But, enough of all that. Why discuss such moot points, when we have the countless suns, moons, galaxies, pulsars, and stars by which to ponder and dream!

Uh...I'm afraid I'm sounding like Shirley MacLaine, but I can't help it.

ItsOver, I'm afraid I've hijacked your thread..apologies. Riveting news about Tau Ceti.

ItsOver

Go ahead, Jasmine.  I've never felt any "thread ownership" in my web dealings.  Post away!

ziznak

You just seemed a bit Hindu in that earlier post Jaz I'm well aware of your traumatic catholic upbringing. :P  Moving forward,  that article says we should be able to peruse the atmosphere's of these earth like planets within Tau Ceti's habitable zone... I'd love to be alive when mankind is able to prove without a doubt that we are not alone.  It would be one of those great moments in human history just like figuring out the earth is round, that its not the center of the universe, and that there are humans on the other side of the planet.