• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Jim Berkland, David Nabhan, and Earthquakes Triggered by the Moon

Started by astroguy, September 02, 2012, 07:32:28 PM

astroguy

Hey HAL, thanks for posting the Michelle Jackson interview.  I'll probably have more comments later, or at least in the next episode of my podcast, but it's interesting that you claim, again, 1/3 of your quakes happen at dawn or dusk (when you define large windows of time for these, that's called chance, not interesting), and then you claim that they happened on "days that were exactly new or full moon phases."  How are you defining "days," David?  Of the 24 quakes I see in SoCal, I see 3 within 24 hours of a new or full moon.  To get 1/3 of the sample (8 quakes), I'd need to expand the definition of "day" to be within 55.2 hours.  Then, of those 8 that occurred within 55.2 hours of a new or full moon, 4 occurred during your 6.4-hour window of "dawn" or "dusk."

Then you say, "But we're not done yet.  Those-those particular dates were also near syzygy event meaning a certain kind of, uh, full or-or new moon with the sun, the earth, and the moon very closely aligned ..."  The astronomical definition of "syzygy" is when there is an alignment of three celestial objects -- the example normally given is sun-earth-moon.  David, by definition, a new or full moon occurs during syzygy.  It's like saying, "Wow!  Lunar eclipses seem to always happen during a full moon despite a gagillion to one odds of them all happening during a full moon!"

(FYI, for those who don't know -- by definition, lunar eclipses can only happen during a full moon because the moon has to pass through Earth's shadow, which can only happen when the moon is behind Earth relative to the sun, meaning we see the side of the moon that's 100% lit.)

albrecht

Quote from: starrmtn001 on November 13, 2016, 07:00:56 PM
Watch New Zealand Earthquake Destruction At It's Worst 14th Nov 2016.

https://youtu.be/_QZGHvROSPU
Thanks, yeah, crazy stuff. They were hit a few years back also. I hope all is well (sort of ironic that a lot of the Hollywood/Tech set so pissed off at Trump is buying up NZ land. Even with the earthquakes and I recall in the early 80's/late 70's some neighbors who moved back there were saying how you always needed to wear a hat? (Hole over Ozone or something?) Hope not many are killed and buildings destroyed. I saw some article recently (can't find it now) that some scientist found that "tidal forces" has some correlation with earthquakes (this was after Berkland died.) So hope no more. (But going to check out the Super Moon, clouds-willing.)

starrmtn001

Quote from: albrecht on November 13, 2016, 08:30:09 PM
Thanks, yeah, crazy stuff. They were hit a few years back also. I hope all is well (sort of ironic that a lot of the Hollywood/Tech set so pissed off at Trump is buying up NZ land. Even with the earthquakes and I recall in the early 80's/late 70's some neighbors who moved back there were saying how you always needed to wear a hat? (Hole over Ozone or something?) Hope not many are killed and buildings destroyed. I saw some article recently (can't find it now) that some scientist found that "tidal forces" has some correlation with earthquakes (this was after Berkland died.) So hope no more. (But going to check out the Super Moon, clouds-willing.)
First, I wasn't aware that Jim Berkland had passed.  I am so sorry to hear that.  His EQ predictions had a high percentage of success due to the years of research he invested in his work.

This latest NZ quake wasn't as strong as the Christchurch quake.  I think two people lost their lives.

(Shhhh.  Don't tell anyone, but my Birthday is tomorrow.  I'm wondering now, whether I should just stay in bed, lol.  SHHHHH)! ;)