• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Quote from: b_dubb on March 09, 2014, 10:40:49 PM
That is scary stuff.  I see a near future where drones hover through urban environments.  The remote operator will interrogate pedestrians at will.  If they don't cooperate ZAP.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 09, 2014, 11:06:48 PM
They recognize you by your gait/style of walking. Scary stuff.

I agree. It is truly frightening to contemplate such a thing possibly becoming common in our lives. The more autonomy or AI or non-flexible protocol the drones gain, the creepier it could become.

(In other words, begging or bartering will not save you from the mousetrap if there's no one at the other end.) 

:(

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on March 09, 2014, 10:40:49 PM
That is scary stuff.  I see a near future where drones hover through urban environments.  The remote operator will interogate pedestrians at will.  If they don't cooperate ZAP.

Just think over time they'll shrink these things down to the size of a flying insect, and those gnat drones will have tiny nanotech stingers that will shoot us full of god-knows-what.  Hmm I sense a dystopian novel in the making.

b_dubb

What you're describing is similar to the grey goo end of the world scenario where a blob of runaway nanites devour everything and everyone.  Only a big grey sphere of nanite goop remains where the Earth once was.

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on March 10, 2014, 12:17:27 AM
What you're describing is similar to the grey goo end of the world scenario where a blob of runaway nanites devour everything and everyone.  Only a big grey sphere of nanite goop remains where the Earth once was.

Yes I think that scenario happens when the nano-bots are capable of self-replicating and we can't stop them.  I hope no one's dumb enough to let those little buggers procreate.

Quote from: b_dubb on March 10, 2014, 12:17:27 AM
... the grey goo end of the world scenario where a blob of runaway nanites devour everything and everyone.  Only a big grey sphere of nanite goop remains where the Earth once was...

Wait a second. Is this the BitCoin thread?

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 09, 2014, 11:06:48 PM
They recognize you by your gait/style of walking. Scary stuff.
I've heard of that gait tracking. One would think changing shoes (wearing uncomfortable ones) etc could defeat that but who knows? Or have a few cocktails and stagger around? I recall some articles and talk on some "system" that would identify mood (and hence you are a "threat" and not just pissed off by TSA delays while trying to catch a flight.) Plans are available on the internet for homemade EMP devices, that would seem to render drones ineffective? I think quite a few people have hacked them (or proven that they are hackable.) And there is that infamous manual on how to avoid drones.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on March 10, 2014, 05:57:39 PM
I've heard of that gait tracking. One would think changing shoes (wearing uncomfortable ones) etc could defeat that but who knows? Or have a few cocktails and stagger around? ...

I'm gonna practice emergency skipping protocol, in case I need to get away fast, undetected. 

area51drone

Walmart to buy used video games now..

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20140318/DACK94700.html

Sianara GameStop.    Hopefully this will at least reduce the cost of used games locally.  I typically only buy them online anyway since Gamestops' prices are usually 50% more than a game can be had on ebay for.

zeebo

Quote from: area51drone on March 19, 2014, 05:55:30 AM
Walmart to buy used video games now..
Sianara GameStop.    Hopefully this will at least reduce the cost of used games locally.  I typically only buy them online anyway since Gamestops' prices are usually 50% more than a game can be had on ebay for.

Used vid games in stores always seem too pricey, but WM may be able to drive that down, and I will not shed a tear if GS goes the way of Blockbuster.

This post could go in the art thread but I'm going to place it here.  Some of the assemblages are working mechanical devices that incorporate high tech devices or are as basic as arcs of electricity combined with a spiritual surrealism or bio-mechanical aspects meeting the bizarre. Much of it has a mad scientist retro feel. The attention to detail is hypnotic. While it is "art," I am leaning more toward the technological aspect of many of the pieces as I post this. I've been tracking his work since I attended the "Born Again Objects," show at the Arlington Museum of Art, in Arlington, TX in 1994.

http://www.stevebrudniak.com/

March 24th's episode of "The Blacklist".

Reddington is forcing a "genius hacker" to transfer funds to Red's account, since the hacker stole it from Reddington in the first place. The hacker is using a tablet computer and is furtively "typing" and "dragging" and "poking" the goddamn "advanced technology" prop. 

When the hacker is done, Reddington points at the device and asks, "Don't all those fingerprint smudges on the screen bother you?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

When the last baby boomer has croaked, I wonder if wristwatches will be able to survive?

Will they endure as "timeless" (sorry) fashion accessories?

Since I always have my phone with me, I have all but ceased wearing a wristwatch.

Though a wristwatch does come in handy whenever I "unplug" from everything, which I do on a regular basis to clear out the accumulated electronic fog.

Catsmile

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 30, 2014, 02:09:07 AM
When the last baby boomer has croaked, I wonder if wristwatches will be able to survive?

Since I always have my phone with me, I have all but ceased wearing a wristwatch.

Though a wristwatch does come in handy whenever I "unplug" from everything, which I do on a regular basis to clear out the accumulated electronic fog.

The form factor will still be around, it will just morph into what your cell phone does today, for the masses.

As long as there is a dirty hipster alive trying to be ironic, or person with more time and money than they know what to do with, the wristwatch will live on as is for the foreseeable future, albeit more of a rarity.

I have a mechanical pocket watch on a chain, if I'm in the mood to sport a timepiece, can't wear a wristwatch.
Even in this day and age they still make pocket watches... the classics will be with us for a long time

wr250

http://www.amazon.com/watch-wrist-Generation-compatible-Black/dp/B004E2UXNO

I got so mad when freaking samsung used the wristwatch from Johnny Socko and his flying robot in their ad.
But all wristwatches in the future will be used to command giant robots.

McPhallus

For those who just seem them as apparatus to tell the time, yah, I'd say they're on the way out. 

I have to say I don't see the whole smartwatch thing really catching on long-term.  A smartwatch is sort of like a phone.  But with a tiny screen.  And it doesn't do nearly as much.  Maybe the supergeeks will buy them, but that's a tiny market.  I can see them being an "it" gadget for a short time until people realize they're just silly and not that useful.

The high-end watch industry is doing just fine.  Watches will continue to be a luxury item for watch geeks and the wealthy, who care more about style and design over functionality.

RcCle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 30, 2014, 06:14:45 AM
I got so mad when freaking samsung used the wristwatch from Johnny Socko and his flying robot in their ad.
But all wristwatches in the future will be used to command giant robots.

LOL!  "Flying Robot, LAUNCH!"  Too bad UltraMan and JSFR never got to go head to head..

area51drone

I agree with McPhallus.  As a side note, I once worked on Samsung's wrist watch phone in 2000 (around there), helping to add voice control to it.   It was a big clunky piece of shit.  I don't know if this is it exactly, but it looked very similar to this:

For some reason, Samsung has a hard on for wrist phones because they've been doing it a long long time.

albrecht

Don't forget, as any boyscout knows, a watch can be used as a compass (analog watch, not digital, obviously). So a good thing to have if lost or something.

area51drone

Quote from: albrecht on March 31, 2014, 12:56:50 PM
Don't forget, as any boyscout knows, a watch can be used as a compass (analog watch, not digital, obviously). So a good thing to have if lost or something.

So can a stick in the ground.  I'll pass on a watch, thanks.

Quote from: area51drone on April 01, 2014, 12:15:11 AM
So can a stick in the ground.  I'll pass on a watch, thanks.

watch hater

(which is perfectly understandable, after your participating in tweaking that Battlestar Galactica monstrosity by Samsung in 2000. I clearly saw Lorne Greene briefly materialize in "the gathering gloom" after I read the post.)

Hmm you are serious about this.
I think it will be around because of:
1. Battery Life/Power Usage:
A watch is an incredibly efficient use of electricity to produce work (telling time). I have several watches that don't even need battery changes. Throughout nature, incredibly energy-efficient processes always survive. I am pretty sure many of us have a simple solar calculator that gets significant use, even though we have advanced math tools available to us in other forms. Of all killing tools, the knife is still considered a necessity and carried into combat.

2. Works in water

3. Works well for physical activities in general where you have to time yourself such as running.

4. The position on the wrist, Ergonomics
I need to think about this some more, but the wrist seems to be an ideal places to look at on the body. Phones and things like google glass may induce fatigue. Glasses are light but the position on the ears and nose (I feel) tends to generate fatigue. I don't wear glasses normally, but do use things such as safety glasses. Reaching for things around the waist or in a pocket (such as a cell phone) seems to require much more effort.

5. Amount of information delivered
A phone or other data source on the wrist has a limited amount of data it can deliver and the size limits this. Just the time seems to be a compact enough and important enough representation-of a critical piece of our world- that it makes sense to wear a watch often.

6. Sexual/Mate Attraction
Drawing attention to the hands may have a sexual benefit. Similar to how necklaces draw attention to the bust, or the shape of earrings changes how our mind perceives a woman's facial shape.

It is possible the watch will outlast the cell phone.

The cell phone would be replaced by some kind of computing device that flys around your head, such as Bit from Tron.

or the IOUN stone

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 01, 2014, 06:26:48 AM
The cell phone would be replaced by some kind of computing device that flys around your head, such as Bit from Tron.

It's an interesting thought.  Would you want a digital assistant following you around?

ItsOver

When the last baby boomer has croaked, I wonder if wristwatches will be able to survive?...

I've never been big on wristwatches.  I haven't worn one much since the advent of cell phones.  We'll always need wristwatches, though, for searching for torsion fields and such.

I appreciate your well thought out response, Mind Flayer Monk. 

In fact, I've enjoyed reading all the posts. Wasn't sure if anyone would weigh in. 

Quote from: ItsOver on April 01, 2014, 07:10:31 AM
We'll always need wristwatches, though, for searching for torsion fields and such.

[attachimg=1]