• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on June 08, 2015, 12:52:09 PM
I finally think I have got the bloatw  . . . und a way to plug all into a USB3 header still have room for 5 more 3.5 and 4 2.5 drives in that case. I miss mucking around in a desktop case.

Enjoyable post.

area51drone

Quote from: chefist on June 26, 2015, 05:50:01 PM
Just installed the Obi 100 using Google Voice...works great! got a home phone again for FREE...after my magic Jack subscription ran out last year...

thanks MV!

Man, I thought MJ was a good deal.   I definitely will switch to this after some of my MJ lines expire (I have 4 of them).    Only problem with it is that I don't think it offers 911 service?  So you're kind of fucked if you need it for emergencies.   For that reason it won't replace my regular home line.

testing101

When is it too late to work on a LOUD-ish server at home? Anyone have any cheap soundproofing tips or tricks?

jan78

Quote from: area51drone on July 10, 2015, 10:39:33 AM
Man, I thought MJ was a good deal.   I definitely will switch to this after some of my MJ lines expire (I have 4 of them).    Only problem with it is that I don't think it offers 911 service?  So you're kind of fucked if you need it for emergencies.   For that reason it won't replace my regular home line.
I have the Obi202 and love it. It is capable of 911. Or more precisely it is the service I use with the Obi that offers the 911 (Callcentric) but I imagine others do too.

Well, finally got Windows 95 update installed.

I prefer 3.1, as Win95 is undoubtedly a resource hog, but will grudgingly adapt.

onan

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 16, 2015, 04:52:55 PM

I prefer 3.1, as Win95 is undoubtedly a resource hog, but will grudgingly adapt.

For the life of me, I can't see a reason to abandon 3.1.

Juan

Quote from: onan on July 16, 2015, 04:55:34 PM
3.11 offers a bit better functionality and the windows on the desktop a roll better.

eddie dean

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 16, 2015, 04:52:55 PM

Make sure to check the wiper fluid level on your 14.4 baud rate dial up modem.
Bad things happen when it's low. Very bad things. ;)

Quote from: onan on July 16, 2015, 04:55:34 PM

I swear. Sometimes it feels like Windows is forcing me to consider purchasing a Macintosh.

Quote from: eddie dean on July 16, 2015, 05:14:07 PM

Yeah, haha. I have to make sure this expensive modem is running like a fine watch. I've got this AOL CD to try out for FREE. (Very disappointed with my experiences on GEnie and Prodigy. But leery of what AOL might try down the road. TANSTAAFL. LOL!)

Quote from: Juan on July 16, 2015, 05:07:25 PM
3.11 offers a bit better functionality and the windows on the desktop a roll better.

Yes!

Heather Wade

Quote from: eddie dean on July 16, 2015, 05:14:07 PM

I have a 28.8, where's the dipstick on this thing?

onan

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 16, 2015, 09:40:51 PM

I have a 28.8, where's the dipstick on this thing?

The 28.8's were the first fully sealed internal stroke single valve left and right ported interwebs connector. They don't have a dipstick. That was the only flaw on that design. For the first 300gbs they ran smooth. After that a vibration started on almost all models. Which is why the the 56's when they originally came off the assembly line, had two dipsticks.

testing101

What is the upper limit of a Pi Node Cluster? There's a group making a 300 Pi Cluster. (http://megarpi.inf.unibz.it/)

"A cluster doesn't really make a Pi faster, because they're not a single computer. What a you gain is simply the ability to do more at once. You're not limited to multiples of two. There is however a real practical upper limit to clustered computers depending on the tasks you run. Imagine if you're running a parallel calculation on many Pis that requires 200 steps. However, each next step requires the information that every Pi calculated on its previous step. So each Pi needs to receive data from every other Pi each iteration. Depending on the amount of time each iteration takes to calculate, you can end up spending more time sending data around than calculating.(http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/14973/pros-and-cons-of-a-pi-cluster)"

wr250

Quote from: onan on July 17, 2015, 01:12:34 AM
The 28.8's were the first fully sealed internal stroke single valve left and right ported interwebs connector. They don't have a dipstick. That was the only flaw on that design. For the first 300gbs they ran smooth. After that a vibration started on almost all models. Which is why the the 56's when they originally came off the assembly line, had two dipsticks.

mines a 19.5 .

onan

Quote from: wr250 on July 17, 2015, 06:20:54 AM
mines a 19.5 .

OOOH! a true classic. Hand crafted, not a single production line item on that model. Expensive to repair, but always turn heads of passers by.

Jackstar

Quote from: wr250 on July 18, 2015, 11:20:55 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/18/large-scale-online-pirates-face-10-years-jail-copyright-infringement

Intellectual property minister Baroness Neville-Rolfe said copyright crime ‘hurts businesses, consumers and the wider economy both on and offline’. Photograph: Anthony Upton/PA

Holy Shazbot. This woman is straight outta The Hunger Games. I love that the British still have time to exert their dominance over world trade and fawn over their incestuous, perverted monarchy, but dental hygiene--ain't nobody got time for that!

cweb

You too can get a 2m ethernet cable for $1500!

http://arstechnica.com/staff/2015/02/to-the-audiophile-this-10000-ethernet-cable-apparently-makes-sense/

Apparently all the bells and whistles of the AudioQuest Diamond cable really help the streams of digital audio sound better. Instead of a 1, it sends through a.... 1. Instead of a 0, it sends through a.... 0. Wow.

The "Diamond" also includes a special battery pack which does, well... I don't know.
QuoteAudioQuest Dielectric-Bias System

Insulation, and any material within a conductor’s magnetic field, is a dielectric whose properties will affect the integrity of the signal. When the dielectric is unbiased, it causes different amounts of time delay (phase shift) for different frequencies and energy levelsâ€"a major problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio.

AudioQuest’s DBS creates a strong, stable electrostatic field that saturates and polarizes (organizes) the molecules of the insulation. This dramatically minimizes nonlinear time delays and reduces dielectric-induced smearing of the signal, letting sound emerge from a “black” background.
Yeah, things!

Jackstar

Quote from: cweb on July 24, 2015, 10:17:55 AM
Apparently all the bells and whistles of the AudioQuest Diamond cable really help the streams of digital audio sound better. Instead of a 1, it sends through a.... 1. Instead of a 0, it sends through a.... 0. Wow.

What you don't realize is that if you take this cable and use it with <redacted> equipment made by <redacted> Corporation, model #<redacted>, along with other off-the-shelf components such as <redacted> and <redacted>, one can quickly build a personal teleporter to return one's self to Galactic Central Command. Less errors means more throughput.

Time traveling: you have questions because reasons.

cweb

Quote from: Jackstar on July 24, 2015, 03:08:25 PM

What you don't realize is that if you take this cable and use it with <redacted> equipment made by <redacted> Corporation, model #<redacted>, along with other off-the-shelf components such as <redacted> and <redacted>, one can quickly build a personal teleporter to return one's self to Galactic Central Command. Less errors means more throughput.

Time traveling: you have questions because reasons.
I fail to see what this cable has to do with Art's new co-host.

Unless... I just lost the game.

onan

Losing the game is the only way to win the game.

wr250

how to stop the stagefright exploit on android phones (android 2.2 and higher).
open your sms app
open the settings for said app
uncheck "automatically download mms messages" 
close the menu
close the app
similar procedure for google hangouts

you will be asked to download mms messages from hereon out.
only download from someone you trust (which implies you know they are not infected)

stagefright is a exploit that gains root remotely via a mms message, thus gaining access to every aspect of the phone, including cameras, microphones, text messages and phone calls.

cweb

Quote from: wr250 on July 29, 2015, 06:46:42 AM
open your sms app
close the menu
close the app

only download from someone you trust (which implies you know they are not infected)

stagefright is a exploit that gains root remotely via a mms message, thus gaining access to every aspect of the phone, including cameras, microphones, text messages and phone calls.
Good tip!

This problem is particularly bad in messaging apps that allow you to "preview" the mms message without opening the app, because it means the content is already downloaded.

Do you think the rumors of infection spreading when an exploited device is connected to a computer are true? It's a pretty scary thought.

wr250

Quote from: cweb on July 29, 2015, 06:59:43 AM
Good tip!

This problem is particularly bad in messaging apps that allow you to "preview" the mms message without opening the app, because it means the content is already downloaded.

Do you think the rumors of infection spreading when an exploited device is connected to a computer are true? It's a pretty scary thought.
the code is embedded in the mms message. so any vulnerable android devices that receive the mms message (no matter how) will be infected/compromised.

the library that is vulnerable on android is android only, but it is conceivable that if hte message contains another exploit (for say windows) and is downloaded to a pc it could infect said pc.perhaps as simply instructing the pc to use the command line ftp client to fetch another virus and install that silently on windows.

albrecht

Quote from: wr250 on July 29, 2015, 06:46:42 AM
open your sms app
close the menu
close the app

Thanks! Is there anyway to tell if one has already been infected? Or a particular anti-virus/malware program you prefer for Android phones?

Quote from: albrecht on July 29, 2015, 10:59:27 AM
Thanks! Is there anyway to tell if one has already been infected? Or a particular anti-virus/malware program you prefer for Android phones?

Second this.

And thanks for ALL the info with which you're always scaring the hell out of us, wr250.  ;)

Forewarned is forearmed.

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on July 29, 2015, 10:59:27 AM
no way to know , unless you get reported for spamming, your cell provider might notice then notify you, or your data use seems excessive. not sure if there are even any decent antivirus programs for android (and they would require root to be effective).

cweb

Quote from: wr250 on July 29, 2015, 01:33:51 PM
no way to know , unless you get reported for spamming, your cell provider might notice then notify you, or your data use seems excessive. not sure if there are even any decent antivirus programs for android (and they would require root to be effective).
Hm... In this case, would you be able to run some sort of process monitor and see excessive resource use, or not? Just a thought.

wr250

Quote from: cweb on July 29, 2015, 06:07:09 PM
Hm... In this case, would you be able to run some sort of process monitor and see excessive resource use, or not? Just a thought.
possibly, but if it named its something resembling a android system process, who would know?
in addition, if it had root and you dont, you may not even see it.

Quote from: wr250 on July 29, 2015, 06:15:12 PM
possibly, but if it named its something resembling a android system process, who would know?
in addition, if it had root and you dont, you may not even see it.
I'm going back to using the phone at Mr. Drucker's General Store.