• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 22, 2014, 08:24:43 PM
I had a Pentium 4-E Prescott which was really something of a bohemeth -- a complex design that used a lot of power for marginal gains.  It was still top of the line when released, though.  I looked to upgrade it to a faster processor or Pentium D dualcore, which used the same architecture, but the benefits weren't really worth it.  Instead I got a cheap AsRock crossover board on eBay so that I could use a Core 2 processor with my old memory, drives, and video card.  Mine's actually a quad core and its performance has been pretty good, but the board only holds 2 gigs of RAM which is limiting me more and more.  The Core 2 were a simpler design than the P4s, but much more efficient.  A 2 GHz Core 2 would probably outperform a P4 that was closer to 3 GHz -- I don't remember the spread so that might be a bit exaggerated, but it was dramatic.

did you check to see if it can hold more than 2GB with a BIOS update?

Quote from: MV on November 04, 2014, 03:38:44 PM
did you check to see if it can hold more than 2GB with a BIOS update?

Genius!  The specifications do say it only supports 2 GB system memory, and I was going under the assumption I could only use 1 GB RAM modules, but doing some quick searching it appears others have managed to get a pair of 2GB sticks working.  Looks like there could be stability issues though.  It seems to require a third party hacked BIOS.

Mr. Fidget

Leo Laporte commented on this at the top of his show today. American cellphone uuid, & gps locations gathered by airplanes:
http://m.wsj.com/articles/americans-cellphones-targeted-in-secret-u-s-spy-program-1415917533?

b_dubb

I built a standing desk from an IKEA Lack coffee table and some shelving units.  Total cost: $20 approximately.  Much less than "real" standing desks that start at $600 from what I've seen.

Software that lets you simultaneously snap photos from two linked cameras.

http://www.stereomaker.net/galleries/tega2/indexe.htm

"As well as numerous features for 2D photography, SDM allows you take highly synchronised stereo photos using certain Canon compact cameras."

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on November 16, 2014, 10:49:49 PM
I built a standing desk from an IKEA Lack coffee table and some shelving units.  Total cost: $20 approximately.  Much less than "real" standing desks that start at $600 from what I've seen.

Yeah but you have to stand whilst at your computer.

How do you ...... you know .... when your looking at lovely horses and the mood takes you?

Quote from: jazmunda on November 17, 2014, 06:53:49 PM
Yeah but you have to stand whilst at your computer.

How do you ...... you know .... when your looking at lovely horses and the mood takes you?

Optional desktop mounted fleshlight attachment.

wr250

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 17, 2014, 07:22:13 PM
Optional desktop mounted fleshlight attachment.
the pressed particle board desk will not take that abuse. come to think of it, the particle board desk may not hold up against light typing ...

jazmunda

Quote from: wr250 on November 17, 2014, 07:25:05 PM
the pressed particle board desk will not take that abuse. come to think of it, the particle board desk may not hold up against light typing ...

Then it definitely won't stand up to b_dubb's thumping key strokes. *

* Listen to any GabCast for proof.

Love you b_dubb.  :-*

Heather Wade

I want one!   ;D

b_dubb

My thunderous typing is most likely the result of the plastic folding desk that I've been using.  It's basically hollow and that likely is why there's so much noise.  I've been looking for a replacement.  My preference is something simple.  Basically just a narrow table. 

My apologies.

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on November 17, 2014, 08:04:52 PM
My thunderous typing is most likely the result of the plastic folding desk that I've been using.  It's basically hollow and that likely is why there's so much noise.  I've been looking for a replacement.  My preference is something simple.  Basically just a narrow table. 

My apologies.

No need to apologize. I like it. Eddie's the typing too loud nazi. Love you too eddie.

Very nice. Make sure to get a shock absorbing mat to stand on. For me, I can only take about 3 hours of stand/work until my knees start to act up.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-881BL/Mats/2-x-3-Black-Anti-Fatigue-Mat-5-8-thick?pricode=WY682&gadtype=pla&id=H-881BL&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1qajBRC_6MO49cqDxbYBEiQAiCl5_DlTBCYabtJ00pJgB7AanVkCHHsT-9H092BoCCS8HJ8aAmD18P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

jazmunda

May I ask why you guys are preferring to stand than sit? Is it back soreness related? Ergonomic issues? Have you considered sitting on one of those fit balls?

Quote from: jazmunda on November 18, 2014, 12:07:34 AM
Have you considered sitting on one of those fit balls?

I balance a fit ball on my head to improve posture and strengthen neck muscles while working.

b_dubb

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 18, 2014, 12:10:26 AM
I balance a fit ball on my head to improve posture and strengthen neck muscles while working.
You're a seal? How do you type?

Heather Wade

Quote from: jazmunda on November 18, 2014, 12:07:34 AM
May I ask why you guys are preferring to stand than sit? Is it back soreness related? Ergonomic issues? Have you considered sitting on one of those fit balls?

I am more energetic standing than sitting, standing burns more calories than sitting, and I don't want to sit all day while I work.

zeebo

Finally, a way to get the babes, while repellng them at the same time.

Quote from: MV on November 21, 2014, 02:35:38 PM

can't wait to see where this goes.

It's a google project so I am pretty sure it won't be abandoned and later used for patent lawsuits.

zeebo

Quote from: zeebo on November 18, 2014, 11:29:52 PM
Finally, a way to get the babes, while repellng them at the same time.

Here's the pic I  thought I posted...