• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art, Design, Photography

Started by coaster, June 23, 2012, 08:07:07 PM

Quote from: Chine on November 13, 2013, 07:28:52 PM
I have one of those Bamboo slates for digital art but just can't get into it. I prefer paint in my hair, on my jeans and on the dog while smell of turpentine roams in the air. Ha. Sculpting too. Messy as hell. Little pieces/parts of clay everywhere. I fucking love it. Hey...what brand markers and crayon pencils aee you using? The pigment is wonderfully vibrant.

I have a bamboo as well but I've only done a few things with it, I find the disconnect of looking at a monitor while my hand works on the slate too disorienting. My wife got me one a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.2 tablet for my birthday earlier this year

and it was so natural, using it is a dream! She picked it because she thought I'd like the stylus and that has been the absolute best feature about it. I never thought I'd find a medium I like working on more than paper (gasp) but here it is. I can't give it a high enough rating.

As for the markers and pencil crayons, I use the cheapest of the cheap, Staedtler lumocolor permanent black fine/superfine tip for inks and Laurentian pencil crayons. Those might be a Canadian thing, but they're the kind kids here bring to school every year.

Chine

Quote from: basswood on November 13, 2013, 08:19:42 PM
I've been registered here for a while but didn't even realize there was an "art" thread going, I should have known. Going to have go back and review what's here but here's my contribution to the Bellgab Museum of Fine Art (BMFA), a few pieces from the years I used to work as a bronze sculptor, in the good old days, pre-911.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

EDIT: Just went through the 5 pages and am BLOWN AWAY by the talent and taste here. Blown away. Well done, Gabbers.

Stunning work. Exquisite!

Just as a general question and out of curiosity what kind of formal training do you have?

Directed at no one (and everyone) in general.

Chine

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 13, 2013, 08:59:56 PM
I have a bamboo as well but I've only done a few things with it, I find the disconnect of looking at a monitor while my hand works on the slate too disorienting. My wife got me one a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.2 tablet for my birthday earlier this year

and it was so natural, using it is a dream! She picked it because she thought I'd like the stylus and that has been the absolute best feature about it. I never thought I'd find a medium I like working on more than paper (gasp) but here it is. I can't give it a high enough rating.

As for the markers and pencil crayons, I use the cheapest of the cheap, Staedtler lumocolor permanent black fine/superfine tip for inks and Laurentian pencil crayons. Those might be a Canadian thing, but they're the kind kids here bring to school every year.

I've considered buying one of those when I joined 'Draw Something'. It's a game app...like pictionary. I was hooked on finger drawings on my phone. Then, realized that I should invest in what you posted above.

On supplies, it's important to invest in best quality papers, canvas, oils, etc. But, funny thing is...sometimes my No. 2 pencil from a drug store is better than a 3.00 pencil from the art store. Like my Home Depot brushes that I LOAlsoVE. A lot has to do with a smart sense of color that's just innate. Which you master well. :)

Quote from: Chine on November 13, 2013, 09:09:53 PM
I've considered buying one of those when I joined 'Draw Something'. It's a game app...like pictionary. I was hooked on finger drawings on my phone. Then, realized that I should invest in what you posted above.

On supplies, it's important to invest in best quality papers, canvas, oils, etc. But, funny thing is...sometimes my No. 2 pencil from a drug store is better than a 3.00 pencil from the art store. Like my Home Depot brushes that I LOAlsoVE. A lot has to do with a smart sense of color that's just innate. Which you master well. :)

I got an app that is called Autodesk Sketchbook Pro, which cost $8 and was worth every penny. With this app and the tablet it's just awesome. The only minor problem I have is that sometimes when I rest my hand on it I zoom the screen so I have been working wearing a glove with the fingers cut off. This is a known limitation, not being able to turn off swipes when your palm is pressed on the display. But as I say it's been a minor annoyance for me and something I'm sure will have all the bugs out on the next release. My only complaint on a device that's otherwise perfect.

Thank you for the nice compliment on color as well. I've only started messing with it since I made the jump to digital and it's been a lot of fun. I have old sketchbooks filled with pen and ink stuff, all done on acidy paper with cheap felt pens, so they are now all yellow and the inks have faded to brown. I consider them pieces of performance art since they degrade over time. "It's not a bug, it's a feature".

basswood

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 13, 2013, 08:49:22 PM
Wow, that blows my mind! Nice work. Have you explored 3d printing at all? As a sculptor I'm sure you have some opinions on the potential there.

Also where can we place orders for shotglasses? They would come in handy during the gabCasts :)

Nah, I haven't done any sculpting in 12 years. Maybe I can start again after my daughters are married off to rich lawyers and doctors who will support the habit lol I still occasionally do some drawings but bronze sculpting can't just be a hobby, you have to be "all in" ( to quote someone around here). Thanks though! :)

Chine

Sketchbooks over the years are treasures. I have stacks of them over the years. Lovely journals of inks and graphite. Coffee house sketches. I also have a box of cocktail napkin art. Best ideas for larger paintings were born there. Even my logo I designed for MGM Grand. The thing is, even when I'm not at 'work' as an artist, for a client, etc.I'm constantly drawing, doodling. I did that as far back as a child. In fact, one of my mom's friends sent me a scanned pic of a drawing I did at 14 yrs old. Seeing it now, years later, it was powerful and so cool. Because, it is work...the hours of energy, honing your skill (and the business end of being an artist). At times easily it can be taken for granted and become complacent.

basswood

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 13, 2013, 09:08:44 PM
Just as a general question and out of curiosity what kind of formal training do you have?

Directed at no one (and everyone) in general.

I did two years of Illustration at the Maryland Institute, College of Art, but dropped out when my sculpting started to do well. Probably shoula stuck it out lol

Quote from: basswood on November 13, 2013, 09:28:53 PM
Nah, I haven't done any sculpting in 12 years. Maybe I can start again after my daughters are married off to rich lawyers and doctors who will support the habit lol I still occasionally do some drawings but bronze sculpting can't just be a hobby, you have to be "all in" ( to quote someone around here). Thanks though! :)

Both the glasses and chess set are really beautiful

basswood

Quote from: Chine on November 13, 2013, 09:01:34 PM
Stunning work. Exquisite!

Thanks, Chine  :) No comparison to an actual artist like yourself though!

Chine

A lot was self taught. Since I was five! ha. Father was a professional in fine arts (theater, painter and creative director in advertising). So I was constantly drawimg. I was an actress...that was main study, profession. In 2004 , I put my art on a website...it started to sell fast. I did take courses at Parsons in NYC as electives. I was a theater major at The New School in NYC. I've taken workshops, since then, still do.

So, it sold and it took off and I went full force with it. :)

Quote from: Chine on November 13, 2013, 09:56:27 PM
A lot was self taught. Since I was five! ha. Father was a professional in fine arts (theater, painter and creative director in advertising). So I was constantly drawimg. I was an actress...that was main study, profession. In 2004 , I put my art on a website...it started to sell fast. I did take courses at Parsons in NYC as electives. I was a theater major at The New School in NYC. I've taken workshops, since then, still do.

So, it sold and it took off and I went full force with it. :)

Wow congrats, that's awesome. Must be so satisfying to sell a piece!!

Chine

Quote from: basswood on November 13, 2013, 09:32:32 PM
Thanks, Chine  :) No comparison to an actual artist like yourself though!

Sculpture is divine in my eyes. I've only done so with amateur clay. But it's the most fulfilling. But, I don't know enough on types of clay, etc. I would love to, but juggling different mediums is tricky...switching gears and focus.

Bronze works, like yours. Bravo. It amazes me and I know there's so much involved.

Quote from: basswood on November 13, 2013, 08:19:42 PM
I've been registered here for a while but didn't even realize there was an "art" thread going, I should have known. Going to have go back and review what's here but here's my contribution to the Bellgab Museum of Fine Art (BMFA), a few pieces from the years I used to work as a bronze sculptor, in the good old days, pre-911.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

EDIT: Just went through the 5 pages and am BLOWN AWAY by the talent and taste here. Blown away. Well done, Gabbers.

I LOVE this thread!   :)

basswood

Quote from: Chine on November 13, 2013, 10:00:06 PM

Sculpture is divine in my eyes. I've only done so with amateur clay. But it's the most fulfilling. But, I don't know enough on types of clay, etc. I would love to, but juggling different mediums is tricky...switching gears and focus.

Bronze works, like yours. Bravo. It amazes me and I know there's so much involved.

Thanks Chine, there is something very special about sculpting that gives me a different type of fulfillment that I never was able to experience in drawing or painting. All of my bronzework was done using the lost wax technique, though modeling for large pieces was always done in clay.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 13, 2013, 06:06:01 PM
And a grey for good measure! :)

Is that grey-navel gazing?

I remember when TMNT first came out-the covers were great (full 2 page covers) but the art inside went from really good to spotty.
The guys who always blew me away were Bernie Wrightson and Stephen Bisset.
Oh and Moebius, how could I forget Moebius.

Chine

Tomorrow night, I'm working an art, performance, fashion event doing live painting/sketching of models and partygoers. I'm dressing up as a modern day Toulouse Lautrec. hehe. Two of my paintings in the gallery. It's erotic / fantasy art/performance. Live music, funky outrageous kink. Illusionists, etc. Should be interesting. Here's one of the pieces. It's cropped though, if some are offended by nudity.

steelbot

Quote from: Chine on November 15, 2013, 12:34:40 PM
Tomorrow night, I'm working an art, performance, fashion event doing live painting/sketching of models and partygoers. I'm dressing up as a modern day Toulouse Lautrec. hehe. Two of my paintings in the gallery. It's erotic / fantasy art/performance. Live music, funky outrageous kink. Illusionists, etc. Should be interesting. Here's one of the pieces. It's cropped though, if some are offended by nudity.
don't see it....

Chine

She's up. Had to upload again. The other is risque too...but she has tassle pasties. Should I share?

Designx

I make a living primarily as a landscape painter but I like to do figurative work as well.

steelbot

Quote from: Chine on November 15, 2013, 12:40:52 PM
She's up. Had to upload again. The other is risque too...but she has tassle pasties. Should I share?
hehe - well my stuff just went out without any disclaimer so i feel like the ass now - but you can always send to me in private - I'm not offended easily  ;)

Chine

Quote from: Designx on November 15, 2013, 12:49:35 PM
I make a living primarily as a landscape painter but I like to do figurative work as well.

Beautiful.

Chine

Quote from: Designx on November 15, 2013, 01:02:45 PM
Thanks! - here's an example of my landscape work.

Absolutely exquiste. Colors and brushwork are asounting. Makes me want to be there now, which is that desired effect of the work.

Chine

Quote from: steelbot on November 15, 2013, 12:50:11 PM
hehe - well my stuff just went out without any disclaimer so i feel like the ass now - but you can always send to me in private - I'm not offended easily  ;)

Ok...she's on my art page. www.facebook.com/rpunsalanart

I can't figure out how to send pics in pms...? I better review the 'How To' thread.

steelbot

Quote from: Chine on November 15, 2013, 01:08:59 PM

I can't figure out how to send pics in pms...? I better review the 'How To' thread.
lol
it's fine - and I don't think anyone would find "offense" it's good ole fashioned nude art! 

WildCard

Quote from: Designx on November 15, 2013, 01:02:45 PM
Thanks! - here's an example of my landscape work.

Looks like it's moving. Very slightly, but every time I glance away and look back. Maybe the black background and the tunnel effect . . . Am I the only one seeing this?

Quote from: Chine on November 15, 2013, 01:08:59 PM

Glad you couldn't. Very sexy!

Wow designx your stuff is awesome, love the super bright colors!

The second one you posted looks so windy and lonely.

Magnified area of a painting I'm placing in a small local show in Jan '14. It's a full figure nude. She is incandescent. Faceless. Armless. Standing in front of a large lake of death and reflection. Acrylic on canvas board. Feel free to attempt psychological deconstruction.