• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Who Are The Hidden, Where To They Lie?

Started by BobGrau, June 06, 2012, 07:22:36 PM

BobGrau

I noticed in the 'users online' bit it says there's 3 hidden users online - what's that all about?
EGO PANIC - does this mean 3 users have blocked me? Bastards!

McPhallus

Quote from: BobGrau on June 06, 2012, 07:22:36 PM
I noticed in the 'users online' bit it says there's 3 hidden users online - what's that all about?
EGO PANIC - does this mean 3 users have blocked me? Bastards!

If you go to your profile, there's a checkbox item for allowing others to see your online status.

</social anxiety>

BobGrau

Quote from: McPhallus on June 06, 2012, 07:49:23 PM

</social anxiety>

Hah. You don't know how right you are!
Thanks

11angeleyes11

I have been looking at the number of members on line, and find this mysterious, _______, Hidden.

How do you become one of. . . The Hidden?

Who are these lurkers?  How do they lurk?  Why Do the Lurk?  What do they want by Lurking? And, most titilating where do they lie? 

I find it sort of fringy.  Maybe the Admin can fill in on this.  I did not know where to address this. 

If you don't know who the Hidden, are you may speculate.  Could it be folks in holes in the ground, afraid to come out?  i.e. in the memory of Saddam.  In that case, it could be someone getting into character for their new up-coming starring role. 

MV/Liberace!

go to:

your profile > account settings

then uncheck: Show others my online status

Harmness

That is not nearly as esoteric as I'd hoped.

heater

I am the ________. I am but one. I think its okay. What did you do?. I might be here tomorrow, I'll get back to you.

Quote from: themudking on July 07, 2012, 08:54:04 PM
I am the ________. I am but one. I think its okay. What did you do?. I might be here tomorrow, I'll get back to you.

Mudking C_____s!!!!!!!  You're lurking hidden?

ziznak

I'm curious about how long our online status stays up?  15 min's after last activity or something like that?  I've almost always have CG opened on a computer or phone somewhere.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on October 12, 2012, 02:55:37 PM
I'm curious about how long our online status stays up?  15 min's after last activity or something like that?  I've almost always have CG opened on a computer or phone somewhere.

2 hours.

24 hours.

I’ve been wondering if anyone else has had this occur.
When I log out of CoastGab, my name no longer appears in the ‘Users Online’.
It immediately disappears. No 24 hours, just bam! I’m gone.
I do not have my user identity blocked. I just don’t understand it?
All I can deduce is perhaps I am some sort of secret agent/operative who is so secret that
I don’t even know I am.....

stevesh

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 24, 2013, 06:13:55 AM
I’ve been wondering if anyone else has had this occur.
When I log out of CoastGab, my name no longer appears in the ‘Users Online’.
It immediately disappears. No 24 hours, just bam! I’m gone.
I do not have my user identity blocked. I just don’t understand it?
All I can deduce is perhaps I am some sort of secret agent/operative who is so secret that
I don’t even know I am.....

If you log out, your name disappears right away. I think the 24 hours applies if you don't log out, but go inactive.

Quote from: stevesh on January 24, 2013, 07:28:17 AM

If you log out, your name disappears right away. I think the 24 hours applies if you don't log out, but go inactive.

So you are saying I am not a secret agent/operative, then?  :( 

Seriously, though, that would make sense. What you said. Not the secret agent thing.
Oh, and thank you for the insight, Stevesh  :)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: stevesh on January 24, 2013, 07:28:17 AM

i hadn't considered this possibility.  try just closing the browser but not logging out, open coastgab in a different browser, and see if it shows you in the online list.

stevesh

Closed IE, opened Chrome (which I had never used to access CG before) and I'm still on the list.

I tried it, did not log out, and on my return my name had remained in Users Online.  Mystery solved, for me anyway.
Although I must say I am a bit disappointed at not being a very secret, secret agent.  :(
Thanks for your replies!  :)

Jfredmuggs

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Jfredmuggs on July 07, 2013, 01:54:59 PM
Well, the NSA is one...

awm runnin' nortin awn thuh surver.  that gawddam nsa kaynt see sheeeeit.

jazmunda

I notice that we have 4 people hiding the fact that they are on coastgab at this very minute. I thought I'd ask the question of these shady characters as to why they be hiding their presence on the board? Are they hiding from someone? Are they trying to stalk or hiding from a stalker? I run a forum that has this ability and as an Admin there I can see who the hiders are and can pretty much guess why they would want to remain hidden. I can also see why MV would want to remain hidden so that he doesn't get hassled with a million bullshit requests and tech support (which I'm sure he gets via PM anyway). So why do you want to hide from us?

PS: I do see the irony of asking people who wish to remain hidden why they would want to hide their presence on the site but a guy can ask.

edit: Oops, I was meant to post this in General Discussion. Oh well, I don't want to annoy the invisible Administrator of the site to move it. I guess I proved my own question. My bad. ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on July 28, 2013, 11:59:11 PM
I notice that we have 4 people hiding the fact that they are on coastgab at this very minute. I thought I'd ask the question of these shady characters as to why they be hiding their presence on the board? Are they hiding from someone? Are they trying to stalk or hiding from a stalker? I run a forum that has this ability and as an Admin there I can see who the hiders are and can pretty much guess why they would want to remain hidden. I can also see why MV would want to remain hidden so that he doesn't get hassled with a million bullshit requests and tech support (which I'm sure he gets via PM anyway). So why do you want to hide from us?

PS: I do see the irony of asking people who wish to remain hidden why they would want to hide their presence on the site but a guy can ask.

edit: Oops, I was meant to post this in General Discussion. Oh well, I don't want to annoy the invisible Administrator of the site to move it. I guess I proved my own question. My bad. ;)

merged your topic.

ziznak

Tommy n Jorch are always here but dont wanna show it... im sure Art lurks invisible especially now that theres such a buzz... and the fourth person is probly some sort of Troll

onan

I sometimes hide my online status... like now. It used to be, and maybe still is, that you could tell where other members were in the forum... Yeah I am a bit paranoid.

I am hidden now because I am too lazy to change it back.

Hey, mv, a couple of times I've recognized spammers or spambot names on your newest registered spot. I moderate a forum and these are names I've seen, but I've never seen them post spam on Bellgab, but once in a while they do get through on my forum. Do you use something besides Captcha to keep them out, or do you go through the new user list every day and just ban the spammers?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 16, 2013, 02:30:57 PM
Hey, mv, a couple of times I've recognized spammers or spambot names on your newest registered spot. I moderate a forum and these are names I've seen, but I've never seen them post spam on Bellgab, but once in a while they do get through on my forum. Do you use something besides Captcha to keep them out, or do you go through the new user list every day and just ban the spammers?

i use a series of american pop culture anti bot questions that i believe would be difficult for an illiterate indian spammer working in a captcha farm to answer... questions about the wizard of oz or about washington chopping down the ______ tree.  that seems to stop most of it.  i never have to ban them, unless they get through.  that's really rare.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on August 06, 2013, 04:50:39 PM
I sometimes hide my online status... like now. It used to be, and maybe still is, that you could tell where other members were in the forum... Yeah I am a bit paranoid.

I am hidden now because I am too lazy to change it back.

that's been disabled for several months now, but i still prefer to be invisible.

Mels-hole1984

And you still haven't fixed the search. 

Quote from: MV on August 26, 2013, 01:30:51 AM
that's been disabled for several months now, but i still prefer to be invisible.

Falkie2013

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on July 07, 2012, 02:49:33 PM
I have been looking at the number of members on line, and find this mysterious, _______, Hidden.

How do you become one of. . . The Hidden?

Who are these lurkers?  How do they lurk?  Why Do the Lurk?  What do they want by Lurking? And, most titilating where do they lie? 

I find it sort of fringy.  Maybe the Admin can fill in on this.  I did not know where to address this. 

If you don't know who the Hidden, are you may speculate.  Could it be folks in holes in the ground, afraid to come out?  i.e. in the memory of Saddam.  In that case, it could be someone getting into character for their new up-coming starring role.

I kind of like that idea.

The Hidden. Those AB fans who know AB secrets known only to a select few.
Other forums have a special section where you have to ask the mod to become a member.
The Hidden. The official AB secret cabal.
;)