• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

skidder

One thing that is really grating for me is how Heather goes along with all the guests' nonsense sounding like she buys it.  Art has a tone to his voice which allows you to believe he thinks the guest is full of it, even if he is not saying it.

I really liked her on the gabcast.  I think just do a gabcast every night and bin the whole paranormal talk radio guff.

Philosopher

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 07, 2016, 10:50:37 AM
You sound like the defence counsel for a delinquent teenager! I don't think she can really be blamed for playing the few cards she has. Chris Carter is a pretty reasonable 'get', even if it isn't twenty years ago, and I am sure the target audience will be interested - I don't think a lot of people under 40 are probably listening anyway.

I wonder why Chris Carter would agree to be interviewed on a show with a relatively tiny audience.  He probably can command more attention through his twitter account.

Quote from: Philosopher on January 07, 2016, 10:56:15 AM
I wonder why Chris Carter would agree to be interviewed on a show with a relatively tiny audience.  He probably can command more attention through his twitter account.

Probably because he was booked before Art's latest disappearing act.

SredniVashtar

It can't do any harm at least. Maybe there aren't that many media outlets interested these days and he took what was available to him. I suppose when you are talking to your Twitter followers then you are already preaching to the converted, but MiTD would provide some fresh meat?

Philosopher

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on January 07, 2016, 10:58:04 AM

Correction:  Art did not disappear, he vanished.  In the same way that things were documented, but not reported.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: SixWeekTenure(tm) on January 07, 2016, 10:58:04 AM

I wish I had thought of that!

Uncle Duke

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 07, 2016, 10:50:37 AM
You sound like the defence counsel for a delinquent teenager! I don't think she can really be blamed for playing the few cards she has. Chris Carter is a pretty reasonable 'get', even if it isn't twenty years ago, and I am sure the target audience will be interested - I don't think a lot of people under 40 are probably listening anyway.

I don't think a lot of people period are listening anyway.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 07, 2016, 11:08:29 AM
I don't think a lot of people period are listening anyway.

And the ones that are do not really care about what you think.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 07, 2016, 11:17:56 AM
And the ones that are do not really care about what you think.

Yeah, probably true.  Those who aren't listening care even less I'd wager.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 07, 2016, 11:19:56 AM
Yeah, probably true.  Those who aren't listening care even less I'd wager.

But we still love you Uncle Duke.  Are you an X-files fan?  I used to have a life. I've never seen the X-files, so I might skip this show.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 07, 2016, 10:45:16 AM
In fairness, she's a product of her environment.  Art used to do the same thing.  The sad part here is few people under the age of forty even know who Chris Carter is, or why having him as a guest on an internet radio program would be considered "special".

I'm 33 good uncle, and I'm well aware of Chris Carter. He played Wide Receiver for many years with the Vikings. He was his own biggest fan and now sits on ESPN talking about how great he once was.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 07, 2016, 11:30:56 AM
But we still love you Uncle Duke.  Are you an X-files fan?  I used to have a life. I've never seen the X-files, so I might skip this show.

I watched it on occasion back in the day, but wasn't really a big fan.  I thought the series tended toward silly late in its run, although I can't point to a definitive "jump the shark" moment.  I liked the short-lived spinoff with the computer nerd, conspiracy theorists better.  That series seemed to be more tongue-in-cheek, to take itself far less seriously.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 07, 2016, 11:51:28 AM
I watched it on occasion back in the day, but wasn't really a big fan.  I thought the series tended toward silly late in its run, although I can't point to a definitive "jump the shark" moment.  I liked the short-lived spinoff with the computer nerd, conspiracy theorists better.  That series seemed to be more tongue-in-cheek, to take itself far less seriously.

I pretty much watched it every episode until like you I thought it started stretching itself to making episodes with little plot. Yeah, I know that's daft considering the topics but it got boring.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Crash Folly on January 07, 2016, 11:46:34 AM
I'm 33 good uncle, and I'm well aware of Chris Carter. He played Wide Receiver for many years with the Vikings. He was his own biggest fan and now sits on ESPN talking about how great he once was.

Warren Moon put you up to this, didn't he? ;)

Or maybe Art will be doing the interview?!

ItsOver

It would only be appropriate THIS Chris Carter shows up on MITD, at this point, just to add to the circus.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ItsOver on January 07, 2016, 12:49:36 PM
It would only be appropriate THIS Chris Carter shows up on MITD, at this point, just to add to the circus.

He could discuss the upcoming Vikings-Seahawks game.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: coaster on January 06, 2016, 04:08:50 PM
There was nothing remotely interesting or entertaining about Paglini. I never understood why people liked her. eh.

I agree and neither do I.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: For Whom the Bell Tolls on January 07, 2016, 12:38:11 PM
Or maybe Art will be doing the interview?!

There's that damn carrot again. I give up. I'm getting my own bag of carrots.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 07, 2016, 11:51:28 AM
I watched it on occasion back in the day, but wasn't really a big fan.  I thought the series tended toward silly late in its run, although I can't point to a definitive "jump the shark" moment...

I agree, at some point I finally just stopped watching.

I'm not quite sure what Chris Carter is going to talk about.  Maybe behind the scenes stuff.  Even short interviews with TV and movie people are dull, unless it was with Johnny Carson, 3 hours with CC sounds like an awful lot.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: Roswells, Art on January 07, 2016, 01:27:02 PM
I agree and neither do I.

Same here.  I know this is blasphemous here, but there were several of Art's guests that he would have on repeatedly that weren't worth a listen in my opinion.  I never expect every guest to be outstanding.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Roswells, Art on January 07, 2016, 01:28:50 PM
There's that damn carrot again. I give up. I'm getting my own bag of carrots.
Didn't know newts ate carrots. You taught me something.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 07, 2016, 01:33:05 PM

I'm not quite sure what Chris Carter is going to talk about.  Maybe behind the scenes stuff.  Even short interviews with TV and movie people are dull, unless it was with Johnny Carson, 3 hours with CC sounds like an awful lot.

Am I the only one that found the X Files movies to be highly disappointing?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 07, 2016, 01:35:33 PM
Didn't know newts ate carrots. You taught me something.

lol

nbirnes

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 07, 2016, 01:33:05 PM

I hope he talks about "Home" -- there was no shark-jumping per se, but it was shocking and it's coming up in our binge-watching now that we're finishing season 3. Monsters vs. mythology ... and this was a monster.

ItsOver

Quote from: ManiacMatt on January 07, 2016, 01:36:50 PM
No, I did, too.  Too predictable.  Kind of ho hum.

ponyboysunset

If it was this Chris Carter I would totally listen. He was amazing. But some how I don't see Heather as a huge sports fan, I could be wrong.  ;)

onan

Quote from: cweb on January 07, 2016, 08:44:29 AM
Guys, my torrent is full of ads for some company called TaintCo.

You need to burn that computer, and your ears.

Jackstar

Quote from: onan on January 07, 2016, 02:00:07 PM
You need to burn that computer, and your ears.

Wear a respirator. Dem fumes!

Chronaut

Quote from: ManiacMatt on January 07, 2016, 01:36:50 PM

Quite a few episodes were much better than any of the movies.  And even the best of the movies, the first one iirc, made the foolish mistake of portraying the aliens as nothing more than monsters:  it was their intelligence and special capabilities that made them powerful adversaries, not the size of their claws.

I want to believe that this little comeback is going to be fun, but I really doubt that anyone can revive the magic of the first few seasons.  In fact I can't think of any show that could do more episodes 20 years later using the same actors, and not be really depressing, like Cocoon