• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: Area51 on February 05, 2012, 02:31:03 PM
... a way to bring you back where you don't directly compete with your old show, hurting what is left of what you have built...

That show has long since disappeared, only the name remains...

The General

Art, I'm sure you are aware that there are a few web streams of your classic shows.  I was wondering if the streaming thing bothers you.  Is it offensive to you at all?  Is it your intellectual property?  Hopefully you take it as a tribute as it is meant. 

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Art Bell on February 03, 2012, 10:32:03 PM
As for Coast, the show has changed which from my point of view is a shame....   Art

Immortal words fit to be shouted from the roof-tops.

WOTR

Wow, I get back from a short trip to Houston to find Art has arrived?  When flying over Nevada I got around to thinking that I needed a parachute and I could pay a visit to ask if we would ever hear the return of a legend.  Could it be that one of those antennas is set to receive thoughts instead of broadcast them?  Perhaps they are showing too many of us still have been asking the unanswered question and a public response is seen as the best way to satisfy the curiosity that existed over the future of the airwaves?

All right, I'm just joking (I figure I better make that clear considering the number of people with... interesting theories that have been on C2C over the years.)
Quote from: The General on February 06, 2012, 12:45:11 AM
Art, I'm sure you are aware that there are a few web streams of your classic shows.  I was wondering if the streaming thing bothers you.  Is it offensive to you at all?  Is it your intellectual property?  Hopefully you take it as a tribute as it is meant.
Great question.  I have wondered the same thing as well.  I know a few musicians who are happy to have their work in the public realm, but they are a little less successful.  The only guy I know who has a platinum record (from the 70's) hanging on his wall is a little less impressed by the technology to allow people to access his work free.  I have wondered if Art subscribes to the Metallica mentality and gets upset or follows the example of Jerry Garcia and is just happy to have released it to the people.

Morgus

Quote from: The General on February 06, 2012, 12:45:11 AM
I recall back in the classic days (mid 90s) Art provided totally free archives of all his c2c shows via broadcast.com
It was only when PremRat networks took over the show that they greedily only offered them for money...
Art has always said he is a "pirate" at heart.  8)

BobGrau

Quote from: Morgus on February 06, 2012, 02:21:26 PM
I recall back in the classic days (mid 90s) Art provided totally free archives of all his c2c shows via broadcast.com
It was only when PremRat networks took over the show that they greedily only offered them for money...

It wouldn't be so bad if Prem would actually offer the old shows for money - I'm happy to pay for a decent product. But even Noory-era c2c goes out of the archives after 3 years. Strange business model.

Archivist1947

This is amazing developement.

All the best to W6OBB from 9a4ag, the journalist who provided Spiricom tapes for the October 31, 2004 show :)

73 and all the best :)

ourobouros2k2

QuoteBut even Noory-era c2c goes out of the archives after 3 years. 

And the later archives omitted the bumper music. Lame. I loved the bumper music in the shows.

Quote from: BobGrau on February 06, 2012, 03:48:12 PM
It wouldn't be so bad if Prem would actually offer the old shows for money - I'm happy to pay for a decent product. But even Noory-era c2c goes out of the archives after 3 years. Strange business model.

And you can't download Somewhere in Time shows.  You can stream them, but you can't download them.  Why is that, anyways?  Premiere has no clue what they're doing.

slipstream

Quote from: Morgus on February 06, 2012, 02:21:26 PM

I believe those old shows are now a property of Yahoo!.  It is likely they were all deleted, but still might be stored on some hard drive somewhere in a "vault".  If I had only known how valuable those shows would come to be.  I am sure I downloaded most, if not all of them, and if I recall, they were in *.ra (Real Audio) format.

....all those shows just gone? Deleted.. how horrible.. Destruction of truly amazing material if it happened.

someguy

Man I gotta know the Ouija board story. I've wondered all these years! We all got to hear about his UFO experience, but never that.

Silent

How fitting that his first real and public criticism of CTC comes on the coastgab forums!  Thanks for the years of top notch radio entertainment.  There will be no replacement.

Maybe Art could spare 5 minutes for a MVDRT interview??  ???   Come on Michael, do it!

Quote from: Art Bell on February 03, 2012, 10:32:03 PM
The mess is indeed cleaned up finally. It is strange that something designed to
save you in a emergency can cause one.

As for Coast, the show has changed which from my point of view is a shame but
it is the right of the Host doing the show to take it in the direction they see fit. I
have had many offers to join other Networks to compete if I wished BUT I have
decided that I do not wish to destroy what I built, or what is left of it.

I really am enjoying being Retired, I can be part of my Daughter's life as she grows
and it is a blast. I do miss all of you though. I am not saying I will not pick up a mike
one day, just not this day. I learned long ago, never say never.

Art
Good on you that you made the decision to retire Art. You deserve it. We all deserve it after humping for over 40 years and trying to make it in this world with all of its challenges. You have provided us with many years of entertainment and we greatly appreciate your dedication to C2C. Now it's time to be a kid and goof off again. Enjoy it!

awguy

Art's presence here just extended this thread indefinitely... come on page 8400!

Great to see Art here though, post often!

b_dubb

Quote from: awguy on February 07, 2012, 03:10:36 PM
Art's presence here just extended this thread indefinitely... come on page 8400!

Great to see Art here though, post often!
LOL true true.  i'm surprised the web server that hosts this site hasn't burst into flames

Scully

Anybody else starting to feel let down once again?  ???

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Scully on February 10, 2012, 09:48:14 PM
Anybody else starting to feel let down once again?  ???

about what?

WOTR

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on February 11, 2012, 12:17:07 AM

about what?
I think some people were hoping Art would stick around as a poster.  I can't see how the man could stick around posting as himself.  If he continued posting in this thread, it would become "ask Art".  I think he is too much of a professional to point out all of the mistakes George makes and drag C2C through the mud.

I am thrilled to have an answer to his future plans as they stand.  I am saddened that he has destroyed my stated goal of being here (seeing this thread hit 130 pages) by ending speculation.

Finally, he has given the solution to a direct line to ask questions and talk with him.  Purchase a ham and join a unique community...

Instead of disappointment or let down, I feel thrilled by a completely unexpected response to this thread.  If there are more posts, all the better.  If not, I can only wish a man who provided many hours of pleasure and distraction a happy retirement.

MV/Liberace!

i don't think art owes his listeners, here on coastgab or elsewhere, a god damned thing.  if he posts here regularly, great.  if he only posts a couple times, that's cool and appreciated... but to feel let down because he doesn't check in everyday to answer questions and entertain the queries of anonymous, unfamiliar people from all over the country?  i'm really annoyed by the notion.  i have no idea what it is people are expecting from this guy.

Morgus

A caller in the final hour of c2cam tonight with Noory claimed to be the mother of Art Bell's wife Ramona.
She mentioned its been five years now since Ramona passed on.
She also told of being now a regular c2cam with Noory listener.
Can Art confirm if that caller was really Ramona's mother?

bmd88

Quote from: Morgus on February 11, 2012, 03:29:14 AM
A caller in the final hour of c2cam tonight with Noory claimed to be the mother of Art Bell's wife Ramona.

If not, that's some screwed up shit.  Seeing as every call for Noory is screened, I would hope they had the decency to investigate that it was really her before letting her on the air.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on February 11, 2012, 02:19:13 AM
i don't think art owes his listeners, here on coastgab or elsewhere, a god damned thing.  if he posts here regularly, great.  if he only posts a couple times, that's cool and appreciated... but to feel let down because he doesn't check in everyday to answer questions and entertain the queries of anonymous, unfamiliar people from all over the country?  i'm really annoyed by the notion.  i have no idea what it is people are expecting from this guy.

I second this motion. 

And nominate Michael for our Grand Pooh Bah.

Oh.  Wait. 

McPhallus

I appreciate that he made the effort to reach out.  You know it's gotta be crazy dealing with all the fans.  Judging from the reactions here and on his facebook page, I'd be going bonkers if I were him.

McPhallus

That would be 2007.  Wasn't it a couple of years before that?

Quote from: Morgus on February 11, 2012, 03:29:14 AM

b_dubb

i agree.  i'm reminded of something Cormac McCarthy said once when a university called to ask him to speak about one of his novels.  he simply asked: "have you read the book?".  the university rep said yes.  to which McCarthy replied: "well then you know all i've got to say about that".  and then hung up the phone.

i'd say Art doesn't owe anyone an explanation or confirmation of this or that.  let the guy live his life.  he's done enough.  he's a broadcaster and a radio enthusiast.  let him have some quality time with his Hobby and his Family.

Scully

Opinions and belly buttons.  Everybody's got 'em.   ::)

rbduck

I think it's very brave of him posting at all. It did verify a few things to me.

I do love his hobby.

Citizen5510

Oh My Gawd somewhere I made the comment "where oh where is Art?" my wish came true! Art we miss you..PLEASE consider a part time show, the night just has never been the same without you. I respect your right to be retired and spend time with the family..your loyal listeners are here waiting for your return, much love and respect Cit :)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Scully on February 11, 2012, 10:06:15 PM
Opinions and belly buttons.  Everybody's got 'em.   ::)

Except for alien-hybrid clones who only have opinions.