• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

starrmtn001

Severe denigrating disc disease here. 

sydtron

I slipped on my front steps this past March. Going to see a band.  Didnt feel anything wrong untill 3 days later. OUCH! It hurt to do anything.  Took some Ibuprofen and rested as much as I could.  Got better. But I now have sciatic pain off and on every day.  Litterally a pain in my ass!  Sometimes popping my lower back helps by lifting myself up onto the counter. And sometimes it doesnt.  I have transitioned to a Vegan lifestyle and lost about 20 lbs.  And I am seeing improvements in the severeness of the pain. 

ks3484

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2015, 09:30:16 PM
I'm no "Dr.Breggin" or a drug-dealer but the problem with many of the drugs, of various kinds, is the bad maintenance and lack of over-sight. And mixing shit (like OTC stuff that kills that also kills the liver) in prescribed painkillers, and ignorance between prescribing doctors on your history, other contraindictations, what your diet/supplements are, etc. The big-pharma, the anti-vaxers, the war-on-drugs crack-downs, and supplement hucksters are all BAD! There is middle-ground here that seems to be missing in politics and even in medicine. It actually is quite insane. Much of it, I know, is due to law (hence you get a minute of warnings of strokes, liver failure, heart attacks etc in a commercial for a medicine to help you with a minor headache) but also that a medicine should be advertised and exhort you to "ask your doctor" to give you this drug. Or why a minor headache (I understand severe migraines of course necessary after consultation and risk/reward analysis) would entail risking such, even if remote, a risk like stroke, heart attack, or liver failure. Do we really think that short-term? Insanity. Likewise this "war on drugs" where REAL people can't get pain medication so seek out bad sources, or abuse (and kill their liver) by maxing out on pain-killers doped up with OTC substances that hurt organs (to deter abuse) etc. Insanity.

Okay albrecht, take a deep breadth.  The situation I described with Oxycodone was after my third...no...my second operation and while I was still hospitalized. The doctors have told me that they could not tell me how or why the aortic dissections were even happening. However, They did tell me that I will need at least two more operations. Nothing that I look forward to because a couple of the interns didn't go into detail but they told me I died and they weren't even sure if they could revive me. They whispered to me ...."you're lucky. I just looked at them as they walked out of my room and said to myself, ha ha, so I'm a lucky one great.

btw: I had to have a mechanical heart valve inserted into.....guess what.....my heart. The heart is suppose to be the strongest muscle, but for some reason mine's is being stressed beyond belief; which is why I advocate "muscle relaxers" as opposed to pain killers because they do not work for me.

Art Bell

As far as Pirates are concerned John (Caravan) had a big problem with them and hired a guy and gave him a company email addy, after taking them down day after day the problem got less and less. That's why I think we can do the same thing, the main problem is going to be UTube. On there it's 3 strikes then your account is trashed.

My guess is you all will be really good at that. Lol. It takes one to catch one, right?

Art

coaster

Quote from: Art Bell on April 21, 2015, 10:07:46 PM
As far as Pirates are concerned John (Caravan) had a big problem with them and hired a guy and gave him a company email addy, after taking them down day after day the problem got less and less. That's why I think we can do the same thing, the main problem is going to be UTube. On there it's 3 strikes then your account is trashed.

My guess is you all will be really good at that. Lol. It takes one to catch one, right?

Art
Pirates on youtube have many alt accounts. This is how they get away with posting so many shows without receiving a copyright notice. If their account does get closed, they just upload it to their other channels. Youtube is a mess.

Quote from: sydtron on April 21, 2015, 09:45:17 PM
I have transitioned to a Vegan lifestyle and lost about 20 lbs.  And I am seeing improvements in the severeness of the pain.
y

Welcome to the club. Your cardiovascular system, your gastrointestinal tract, musculoskeletal system, and all the rest of the gang, will thank you! Not to mention God's little critters. 8)

Heather Wade

Art

You're saying we have ninja pirate's pirate ultra amazing utube and google fu skills?  Why, yes. 

Cue pessimistic & vaguely lovable BellGabber saying it cannot be done..... in 3...2...1...

But, wait, before I go, will there be a special BellGabber line that we can call in on for our pirate's pirate sweeping efforts?  For the paranormal stories and such?   ???

jazmunda

It takes one to catch one, right?

Art

Arr me matey!

albrecht

Quote from: ks3484 on April 21, 2015, 10:02:09 PM
Okay albrecht, take a deep breadth.  The situation I described with Oxycodone was after my third...no...my second operation and while I was still hospitalized. The doctors have told me that they could not tell me how or why the aortic dissections were even happening. However, They did tell me that I will need at least two more operations. Nothing that I look forward to because a couple of the interns didn't go into detail but they told me I died and they weren't even sure if they could revive me. They whispered to me ...."you're lucky. I just looked at them as they walked out of my room and said to myself, ha ha, so I'm a lucky one great.

btw: I had to have a mechanical heart valve inserted into.....guess what.....my heart. The heart is suppose to be the strongest muscle, but for some reason mine's is being stressed beyond belief; which is why I advocate "muscle relaxers" as opposed to pain killers because they do not work for me.
No insult meant! Glad you are doing well. Just saying the system is suspect and even those I know "in it" relatives who are doctors say to be wary of unnecessary (especially elective) surgery and drugs without second opinions (ESPECIALLLY if you are older, simply going to a hospital can get you into trouble due to ancillary infections and stress of recovery) and also bitch about the the problems of bad pain medication (the DEA crackdown so people who need can't, and lack of over-sight and pain-med mills and those going "to the street" which causes more problems.)

Disheartened

Art, I wish you would consider a low bitrate stream of your show as an option? I have already heard from someone that will have to pick and choose what show's of your's to listen to because even at 48kbps that would go over his data cap on his cellphone plan. He won't be able to listen five nights a week. He's a cop on night duty.

sydtron

Quote from: FightTheFuture on April 21, 2015, 10:27:37 PM
y

Welcome to the club. Your cardiovascular system, your gastrointestinal tract, musculoskeletal system, and all the rest of the gang, will thank you! Not to mention God's little critters. 8)

Well. I did it because I felt like crap!  I would get out of bed. Mainline some serious coffee. Still not wake up fully for a few hours. I look after our 3 year old little girl.  I did not have any energy to play with her. No matter how she begged and pleaded with me to do so.  She deserves better!  So my GF and I went vegan for our wee one.  Now Iawake with no problem. And am off coffee! I do not regret it one bit.  No animal product is worth the smile I see on my girls face when I get on the floor to play. 

raistlin

Quote from: Disheartened on April 21, 2015, 10:42:29 PM
Art, I wish you would consider a low bitrate stream of your show as an option? I have already heard from someone that will have to pick and choose what show's of your's to listen to because even at 48kbps that would go over his data cap on his cellphone plan. He won't be able to listen five nights a week. He's a cop on night duty.

People have been listening to re-runs for decades now.  Will it really be that big of a deal for some to have to play the show that aired the previous night especially if you don't have any intentions of calling in?

raistlin

Quote from: jazmunda on April 21, 2015, 11:01:08 PM
That's not the point. Art has to pay for the bandwidth and music licensing fees as well as other associated costs. This is partly being subsidized by subscribers paying for access to the archive of past MITD shows. Who will buy the cow if they can get the milk for free?

The point is if you don't listen live for free then you have to pay to hear it. If the product is given away for free then less people will bear the brunt of covering Art's cost to bring you the show and if it is going to cost Art money to do a show then why would he bother doing it?

In summary, if you want to hear Art then put your money where your mouth is. If you can't afford it then try to listen to it live. If you can't do that then well life sometimes sucks.

Art can subsidize the show any way that he wants, that's the beauty of it (with ads for instance as he intends to).  Let's get real, if people want the show they'll get it one way or the other.  For that matter I know most people will be recording the show every night anyway. 

So why not just go the route that most shows do and put up a pay wall for anything older than say 2 weeks or a month?  To me that's fair for $5 as that way I don't have to go to the trouble to record it, it'll all be there in the cloud ready to listen to and I don't even have to curate it.  Of course I'll be donating either way as I want this show to go on as long as possible.

As far as size is concerned, it sounds like Art has made up his mind which means he's settled with what it will cost.

Falkie2013

Quote from: raistlin on April 21, 2015, 11:06:10 PM
Art can subsidize the show any way that he wants, that's the beauty of it (with ads for instance as he intends to).  Let's get real, if people want the show they'll get it one way or the other.  For that matter I know most people will be recording the show every night anyway. 

So why not just go the route that most shows do and put up a pay wall for anything older than say 2 weeks or a month?  To me that's fair for $5 as that way I don't have to go to the trouble to record it, it'll all be there in the cloud ready to listen to.

As far as size is concerned, it sounds like Art has made up his mind which means he's settled with what it will cost.

I don't get this. A Carl's Jr. Superstar is $5.49 + tax. Art Bell is going to be $5 a month.
Cheaper and healthier for you unless you eat a stack of burgers while listening.
I would like to know who the people are in the poll who WON'T pay to listen to Art ?
I paid to listen to him on Sirius and WILL pay to listen to him now as well.
I just wish his poor aching back could get fixed once and for all.
If only money could fix that. ... :-[

raistlin

Quote from: Falkie2013 on April 21, 2015, 11:15:33 PM
I don't get this. A Carl's Jr. Superstar is $5.49 + tax. Art Bell is going to be $5 a month.
Cheaper and healthier for you unless you eat a stack of burgers while listening.
I would like to know who the people are in the poll who WON'T pay to listen to Art ?
I paid to listen to him on Sirius and WILL pay to listen to him now as well.
I just wish his poor aching back could get fixed once and for all.
If only money could fix that. ... :-[

I paid to listen to Art on Sirius as well, never would have considered getting that service until Dark Matter was announced.  As I said, I'll be paying Art $5 a month either way.  As far why others wouldn't?  Who knows.  The point I was making before was simply that people that don't have much in the way of cellular data could just listen to the show from the night before.

Falkie2013

Quote from: ks3484 on April 21, 2015, 11:13:18 PM

• Art welcomes Al Bielek back to his show to discuss his experience in the Philadelphia Experiment.

♦ Just Push Play"  "►"

Pity Art can't go back in time with Bielek and stop himself from falling off that utility pole.  :-\
Hmm, he did have a time machine at one time but was afraid to use it.
Maybe an alternate reality Art Bell did use it to save his back and Ramona too. :)

There is a much bigger problem out there today with pirating. It is called torrents and VPN. Since thePirateBay went down this past winter VPN really caught on. You can be sitting in your home in Chicago and appear to be in some country in Europe. There are a growing number of free VPN services today that are under $50 per year. I use a VPN when doing anything that is related to money online.

The VPN service I use has servers all over the world. I like them because they have several in the United States which allows me to do anything I normally would do if not using a VPN service and feel much safer about it. My IP address constantly changes so I can not be tracked by thieves.

My point is if Art's show is posted on torrent sites there is not much anyone can do about it. Most of the big sites are off-shore.

One more thing comes to mind about pirating...Microsoft, DishNetwork, etc are unable to stop pirating of their products. I have to wonder how Art is going to stop it happening to his. If people want it for free all they have to do is Google it.

I just hope pirating does not get to be too much of an issue and get in the way of Art coming and staying on the air. I sure do miss listening to him!  :)

raistlin

Quote from: JustAnotherHuman on April 21, 2015, 11:33:49 PM
There is a much bigger problem out there today with pirating. It is called torrents and VPN. Since thePirateBay went down this past winter VPN really caught on. You can be sitting in your home in Chicago and appear to be in some country in Europe. There are a growing number of free VPN services today that are under $50 per year. I use a VPN when doing anything that is related to money online.

The VPN service I use has servers all over the world. I like them because they have several in the United States which allows me to do anything I normally would do if not using a VPN service and feel much safer about it. My IP address constantly changes so I can not be tracked by thieves.

My point is if Art's show is posted on torrent sites there is not much anyone can do about it. Most of the big sites are off-shore.

One more thing comes to mind about pirating...Microsoft, DishNetwork, etc are unable to stop pirating of their products. I have to wonder how Art is going to stop it happening to his. If people want it for free all they have to do is Google it.

I just hope pirating does not get to be too much of an issue and get in the way of Art coming and staying on the air. I sure do miss listening to him!  :)

Yeah that was basically the long of the short of my other point.  If people want the show they'll get it.  It makes sense to protect your IP of course but it's kind of a tight rope you have to walk with the public.  Take GOG.com for example, they know that people pirate their stuff all over the place and it's never going to stop.  However they're still very successful because people appreciate that their content is DRM free and supported. 

Another example from another medium would be Radiohead.  They knew their album "In Rainbows" was going to be pirated like crazy so they let people pay what they wanted for it.  Radiohead made more on that particular album then they did in their entire history as a band for any of their previous albums.

So I'd have to say as long as things are handled properly it'll likely be even more successful than anticipated.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: sorefinger on April 21, 2015, 05:24:04 AM
I've often wondered the same thing. What I came up with: the transmitter on the cell tower is more powerful than the transmitter in the cell phone.

Thanks you

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Disheartened on April 21, 2015, 10:42:29 PM

If there has to be an aac+ stream, it should be 24Kbps for people like your friend. Might as well truly take advantage of aac+ if you're going to go to the trouble of using it.

Zenman

Pirate walks into a bar with a parrot on his shoulder.
Bartender says, "Cool! Where'd ya get that?"
Parrot says, "Found 'im passed out on the beach, arrrr."

I hope Art realizes his fan understand he is 71 years old with a bad back. If he needs days off its fine. We understand.

WOTR

Quote from: JustAnotherHuman on April 21, 2015, 11:33:49 PM
One more thing comes to mind about pirating...Microsoft, DishNetwork, etc are unable to stop pirating of their products.
There is little doubt that there will be some pirated content that cannot be removed- but trying to keep it at a minimum is probably the goal.  Making it so that somebody does not just post every MITD show on a playlist on youtube is not a bad idea.  (Though it may not be a bad idea for somebody who is unemployed and hoping to make money off of youtube views to do this...) ;)

Most people are lazy and most are not going to search the world over to save $5 a month.  Also, I doubt that there will be hundreds of pirates.  Microsoft is used by millions of people who hate them.. Art will have tens of thousands of listeners who probably like him.  It's not hard to see why Microsoft may face a battle.  It is easy to justify illegal copies if you had bought XP and they stopped supporting it or if you don't think that Gates needs another billion dollars or 100 other justifications.  It is harder when it is one man broadcasting and asking a reasonable amount of money.

There may be a number of people looking for "free" content, but there are very few people who go through the trouble of actually recording and posting it.  Most of those will be US based and use "easy" sites like youtube.  If you can beat those few people down and accept that there will be a couple of people in a foreign country posting content on more obscure websites that will be the best that you can do...  There will always be some people getting the content for free (if I did not believe in Bell or he were doing it from Serius again, I would be one of them...)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: starrmtn001 on April 21, 2015, 09:31:36 PM
Severe denigrating disc disease here.

Jeeze. That sounds like a pleasure.

YouTube is the biggest enemy here. It's easy to access and everyone uses it.

ks3484

Art

Art, this would be a great question to ask   ♦ Andy Yoder  don't ya think?   ;)

WhiteCrow

Quote from: coaster on April 21, 2015, 12:57:55 PM
When I had really bad back problems, every morning I would literally have to roll out of bed, onto the floor, and lay there for an hour to try to "straighten" my back out. No one really knows how bad back pain can get until they have it. It can and has put me on the sidelines several times.

I had same kind of back pains for decades, my back would 'go out' 3 to 4 times a year.
What helped me; Along with normal back exercise I purchased a racing bike and indoor trainer.
Use clipless pedals and shoes so can pull up as well as push down.
Lean body forward in racing position, use big gears on bike or max load on trainer during routine and concentrate on pulling up on pedals.
It takes a lot of work to strength the supporting back muscles. When I get lazy and stop riding for a few months my back problems/pain returns. 

Sideline benefit: Cycle Trainers/Exercise Bikes are proven time travel machines, they are so boring when riding them, that you'd swear, time actually goes backwards. 

ks3484

Quote from: albrecht on April 21, 2015, 10:35:21 PM
No insult meant! Glad you are doing well. Just saying the system is suspect and even those I know "in it" relatives who are doctors say to be wary of unnecessary (especially elective) surgery and drugs without second opinions (ESPECIALLLY if you are older, simply going to a hospital can get you into trouble due to ancillary infections and stress of recovery) and also bitch about the the problems of bad pain medication (the DEA crackdown so people who need can't, and lack of over-sight and pain-med mills and those going "to the street" which causes more problems.)

No insult taken. I just wanted to express that not all things are as you have come to see them.