• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

^Yep, kettlebell here.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Art Bell on April 21, 2015, 11:31:00 AM
So many technical issues solved. Now if I could only cure my back problems. If I had to be on today I would not be on, holy crap it is sore. I am headed to the Doctor this Afternoon. I really got cheated when God issued backs.

Art

Maybe one day they will be able to do back transplants. After all I just read an article that said it might not be too long before they transplant someone's head onto another body which sounds scary as hell.

Quote from: MV on April 21, 2015, 12:51:35 PM
on april 9, i slipped on wet tile and destroyed my back.  i now know pain on a level i didn't before, and it's easy for me to see why you wouldn't want to host a talk show with that going on.  real back pain just evaporates your will to do anything.

Back in 2001 I slipped while working at a restaurant, and landed flat on my back... and even at 19 it was some of the most excruciating pain one could imagine. I'm not even sure my car accident was that bad, but that was mainly because of the painkillers they gave me afterward. I knew they had just mopped the floor in the kitchen, and still was in too much of a hurry. Thankfully the pain is no more. 

inuk2600

Quote from: inuk2600 on April 21, 2015, 01:23:08 PM
Say, isn't Youtube live streaming free and unlimited?
Just stream the audio and put title art as video (or point a cam at the cats :) )
This would relieve some of the bandwidth for the audio only streams since desktop users can just go there to listen.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2474026?hl=en

Simulcasting on youtube would also help grow listenership because of the enormous user base.

Youtube also has metrics so you can take a snapshot of how many are listening(watching) when playing a bumper music.

cweb

Hey Art-

When you'll be taking a night off (not counting weekends) will there be reruns or a guest host or something else?

If you're not sure yet or don't wish to answer this question until closer to July, I totally understand.  :)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Nick el Ass on April 21, 2015, 01:32:45 PM
Thankfully the pain is no more.

count yourself lucky.

Vladimir

So many technical issues solved. Now if I could only cure my back problems. If I had to be on today I would not be on, holy crap it is sore. I am headed to the Doctor this Afternoon. I really got cheated when God issued backs.

Art
The first time I went to a chiropractor, my back was so bad I literally crawled on my hands and knees through the office door. About a half-hour later, I was able to walk out. I've been a believer ever since.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Vladimir on April 21, 2015, 02:15:24 PM
The first time I went to a chiropractor, my back was so bad I literally crawled on my hands and knees through the office door. About a half-hour later, I was able to walk out. I've been a believer ever since.

yes, they do help.

JokerFace

I know my back is at an all-time worse when I'm unable to put on my socks or tie my shoes. Luckily, I only get such flare-ups once or twice a year for a few days. I can't imagine how demoralizing it is for those who have it worse.

Quote from: inuk2600 on April 21, 2015, 01:23:08 PM
Say, isn't Youtube live streaming free and unlimited?
Just stream the audio and put title art as video (or point a cam at the cats :) )
This would relieve some of the bandwidth for the audio only streams since desktop users can just go there to listen.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2474026?hl=en

Simulcasting on youtube would also help grow listenership because of the enormous user base.

I agree that embracing YouTube rather than fighting it could make sense.  Become a YouTube partner and you get paid based on ad views and audience size, the top channels are making thousands per month.  Only thing is, once the show airs it would have to be removed due to the music rights issue.

inuk2600

Quote from: Northern Nights on April 21, 2015, 02:32:02 PM
I agree that embracing YouTube rather than fighting it could make sense.  Become a YouTube partner and you get paid based on ad views and audience size, the top channels are making thousands per month.  Only thing is, once the show airs it would have to be removed due to the music rights issue.

Keith replied to me about youtube. The problem would be that it would risk taking listeners past the 5 million hours a month limit for the small webcaster category.
I guess it's because you can't control caps for maximum simultaneous viewers.

Quote from: inuk2600 on April 21, 2015, 02:46:38 PM
Keith replied to me about youtube. The problem would be that it would risk taking listeners past the 5 million hours a month limit for the small webcaster category.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Now if Art would use public domain music like every other internet show none of these problems would exist but that's been discussed to death here.  It just seems strange to have the potential popularity of the show become a hindrance in this way.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: MV on April 21, 2015, 01:57:07 PM
count yourself lucky.

On many counts, and even though the back pain isn't an issue any longer my legs are in terrible shape which I will have to live with forever. I have said to others since the accident in 1995 leg pain has been my only constant companion... and after the fall I joked that it was nice to have something else to bitch about for a while.

drksd4848

Quote from: inuk2600 on April 21, 2015, 02:46:38 PM

Wait...  So youtube clicks/views would be counted toward number of listeners/hours on the stream?

Either way, the show should put content on youtube and have a presence.  Doesn't have to be live, just three or four on demand clips.  For example:

AB: So, John Lear, after you die, when you see the white light, what should you do?
JL: Well, Art, I think I would stay away from the white light; Avoid it. <end>

It'll keep enough people away from the pirates, or discourage pirating altogether.  And hell, if I heard that clip, I'd subscribe if I hadn't already. 

cosmic hobo

Quote from: drksd4848 on April 21, 2015, 12:10:08 PM
Hey Art,

With regard to the Youtube pirates, cut them off at the pass:

This may be a no-brainer and it may have already been suggested, but in case it hasn't

Make sure you have your producer pull two or three teaser clips, (maybe a minute a piece) from your show that highlight the guest/topic from the previous night.  Stick them on youtube for free.

Infact, make sure your show has a big presence on Youtube to divert people who are sneaking around looking for the entire show.  The best defense is a good offense...

I work in television, so I kind of know the drill for this.  People try to steal our crap all the time.

Anyway, just a thought....

I'm not sure how posting clips from a TV or Radio show would discourage pirates. I would think that if anything it is going to encourage them to seek it out illegal and free particularly if that content is behind a paywall. I not advocating stealing and I will be paying for Art but I don't see how this would stop the pirates.

scottydawg

Art, it's time to have Hanz and Franz move in with you. When your having a bad back day they will be there to
I'm Hanz, Und I'm Franz and vere here to" big clap "[attachment=0][/attachment]STRAIGHTEN YOU UP!"

Art

You can't have it all Art!  ;D

MV/Liberace!

gabcast at 8:30PM central.  ufoship.com/chat to listen.

ge30542

L5-S1 herniated disc surgery here. The years prior to surgery were horrible pain. People don't understand how constant, every waking moment pain, can make you nearly loose your mind, its maddening. Took a full year after surgery for all pain to subside, but turned out to be the best decision I made.
Is surgery an option Mr. Bell?

phrodo

Quote from: MV on April 21, 2015, 05:52:03 PM
gabcast at 8:30PM central.  ufoship.com/chat to listen.

8:30 CENTRAL?? The PM I got from your One Direction PM account said 8:30 Eastern... Which is it?

Art

i recommend ten naked ladies and a litre of olive oil.

paladin1991

Quote from: Vladimir on April 21, 2015, 02:15:24 PM
I concur.  Just got home fm mine.  But pain and the circumstance of same is different fm person to person.

drksd4848

Quote from: cosmic hobo on April 21, 2015, 05:15:38 PM
I'm not sure how posting clips from a TV or Radio show would discourage pirates. I would think that if anything it is going to encourage them to seek it out illegal and free particularly if that content is behind a paywall. I not advocating stealing and I will be paying for Art but I don't see how this would stop the pirates.

Look, you'll always have a certain amount of priates, of course. The idea is to lure traffic away from them with a small amount of content that is free.  There are a lot of providers that do that already.  I think Bill Mar is one of them.   

Embrace youtube by using it to your advantage, rather than waste all time chasing after the bad guys who steel your crap.  That's like playing the "hit the pop up gopher with a hammer" game.     

albrecht

Quote from: drksd4848 on April 21, 2015, 07:59:20 PM
Look, you'll always have a certain amount of priates, of course. The idea is to lure traffic away from them with a small amount of content that is free.  There are a lot of providers that do that already.  I think Bill Mar is one of them.   

Embrace youtube by using it to your advantage, rather than waste all time chasing after the bad guys who steel your crap.  That's like playing the "hit the pop up gopher with a hammer" game.   
I recall back in the napster days a few bands had some clever stuff going. Like fake songs that would start and then awful screech a few seconds in. Not sure if it was official companies, bands, or just fans who did it. I could see fighting back by fake youtubes, fake torrents, torrents that bring viruses or DMRN warnings, etc. Never "win" likely but at least beat back a bit and make only the most tech-savvy and dedicated pirate or free-loader get it for free. However, I tend to agree with you and it is better to USE the "pirate" or "free" market to advance your show. Ignoring the politics or message Alex Jones comes to mind- give stuff away for free, encourage copying torrents etc, and buy/negotiate time on SW, AM, FM, local access tv, etc post to YouTubes etc and THEN get money back on the upside by donations, commercials, products, webstores, etc.

laserjock

I don't know if using Alex Jones as a guide is a good idea...

No offense, of course!

albrecht

Quote from: laserjock on April 21, 2015, 08:16:23 PM
I don't know if using Alex Jones as a guide is a good idea...
I understand that's why I said ignore the politics or views. But aside from whatever Alex says/does or sells the model he used did leverage "free" into A LOT of money and growth. How about Craigslist (or even Google to an extent, sort of), Mozilla, Linux etc? Or all the Apps and Games do. (Or in previous years what a drug dealer did.) In other words offer "free" and then capitalize on it in some way (the extent to which, or politics or "selling out",  is another issue.)

ks3484

Art

Hey Art, have you talked with your doctor about muscle relaxers? The other day you did say that you were turning over negotiations to Keith because you felt that you were no longer up to it. So, I'm thinking that this return to broadcasting project has a direct causal relationship to your pain in the back.

A couple of years ago my doctor prescribed Bupropion for an aortic heart dissection that I'm dealing with, and I forgot that I had taken it earlier in the day, because it was a moving day; so later in the afternoon I took another dose not realizing or remembering that I had taken an earlier dose that day; and well, I forgot how so I could not zip up my coat. I had forgotten how to zip up my coat. I tried to zip it up for like 45 minutes and I just couldn't do it. So I wore the coat unzipped, but then something else began to happen much worse than forgetting how to zip up my coat.

I'll tell you about that some other time. The main point is that you should ask your doctor to prescribe muscle relaxers for you to see if that will help to obviate the pain in your back being caused by your back muscles.....just a suggestion..... :)

*****Continue To Chronicle Your Observations, Art!!!*****

laserjock

Sound's like sound advice, better than addictive pain killers!  I was prescribed Oxy after my surgery, I dumped them down the toilet, the stuff scares me frankly.  I also know about pain, I did a number on my knee at work, tore the hell out of my meniscus and had surgery.  Almost 6 months of solid pain and misery and major difficulty getting around.

ks3484

Quote from: laserjock on April 21, 2015, 08:48:23 PM
Sound's like sound advice, better than addictive pain killers!  I was prescribed Oxy after my surgery, I dumped them down the toilet, the stuff scares me frankly.  I also know about pain, I did a number on my knee at work, tore the hell out of my meniscus and had surgery.  Almost 6 months of solid pain and misery and major difficulty getting around.

Oxycodone didn't work for me at all. I absolutely refused to take it, and demanded something that would help; so they gave me Hydrocodone and it worked like a dream. Which I did a lot of after taking it. :)

ks3484

Art Bell
                                           3 hrs · Pahrump, NV ·

I am far from any kind of expert on Race relations, just a old White guy Talk Show Host but I think we are on the edge of something ugly. This latest incident in Baltimore is just that, the latest of many with Black Men dead after interacting with the Police. This better stop fast or in my opinion we will be dealing with something far worse.

• Art Bell - Face Book

albrecht

Quote from: ks3484 on April 21, 2015, 08:57:22 PM

Oxycodone didn't work for me at all. I absolutely refused to take it, and demanded something that would help; so they gave me Hydrocodone and it worked like a dream. Which I did a lot of after taking it. :)
I'm no "Dr.Breggin" or a drug-dealer but the problem with many of the drugs, of various kinds, is the bad maintenance and lack of over-sight. And mixing shit (like OTC stuff that kills that also kills the liver) in prescribed painkillers, and ignorance between prescribing doctors on your history, other contraindictations, what your diet/supplements are, etc. The big-pharma, the anti-vaxers, the war-on-drugs crack-downs, and supplement hucksters are all BAD! There is middle-ground here that seems to be missing in politics and even in medicine. It actually is quite insane. Much of it, I know, is due to law (hence you get a minute of warnings of strokes, liver failure, heart attacks etc in a commercial for a medicine to help you with a minor headache) but also that a medicine should be advertised and exhort you to "ask your doctor" to give you this drug. Or why a minor headache (I understand severe migraines of course necessary after consultation and risk/reward analysis) would entail risking such, even if remote, a risk like stroke, heart attack, or liver failure. Do we really think that short-term? Insanity. Likewise this "war on drugs" where REAL people can't get pain medication so seek out bad sources, or abuse (and kill their liver) by maxing out on pain-killers doped up with OTC substances that hurt organs (to deter abuse) etc. Insanity.