• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Ewavegeek

Is the entire Dark Matter Radio Network going to switch to AAC+? and via Icecast direct?? or is it just for Art's show?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Laurakinch on July 12, 1974, 11:16:44 PM
In fact, told me he could easily cut a person's head off. No problem.

He was really working to break down those stereotypes.

Laurakinch

Quote from: MV on April 16, 2015, 11:21:08 PM
He was really working to break down those stereotypes.

Yeah, no shit. Incredibly he went to an aircraft mechanic school to get certified to work on airplanes. When I said he was wasting time and $$, that no one would hire an Arab to be an airline mechanic he said I was negative and racist.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Laurakinch on April 16, 2015, 11:40:16 PM
Yeah, no shit. Incredibly he went to an aircraft mechanic school to get certified to work on airplanes. When I said he was wasting time and $$, that no one would hire an Arab to be an airline mechanic he said I was negative and racist.

What was the outcome of that?

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Art Bell on April 16, 2015, 03:59:25 PM
Ok guys here is some not such great news, we are going to have to cap the live listener number to between 65-70 thousand. The reason for this is easy, the stupid music. If we go over that it gets mind numbing expensive, I am not saying impossible but very expensive if we knock ourselves out of the small Webcaster catagory. So I guess it will be first come first served and we will not open the big bandwidth doors until 9PM P.T.

Now if somebody picked up our stream and sent it out from some far flung overseas place, well hmmm not much we could do about that, right?

We do want tight control of the Podcast, we are ready for volunteers, if you would like to help please contact Keith at kr@rowlandnet.com and help us with Podcast Pirates (mostly utube)

All of this may not be a problem anyway, I might be lucky to scare up 10,000 . We shall see

Art

Oh, my. I can only imagine at the start of each show how people will be running for their trusty devices to get a good seat for the show. You say you "might be lucky to scare up 10,000," but with a little help from your fanbase... and a few vaguely lovable folks I can see it easily topping the 65-70 thousand mark. Maybe not right away, but in due time... and I think you are vastly underestimating yourself Mr. Bell.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: MV on April 16, 2015, 10:42:21 PM
I'm not sure what they were playing. The fat guy has a really popular YouTube channel. Do a search for "bring up the fucking servers!"

SETTLERS OF CATAN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u8HQNG9k2s

Francis also flipped a table over while playing Magic the Gathering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYuF3T7s7XY

Laurakinch

Quote from: MV on April 16, 2015, 11:51:44 PM
What was the outcome of that?

He couldn't get a job, of course. Continued his education here, got an MBA, still couldn't get a job (post 9/11). I convinced him to return home to Jordan since he was becoming depressed/ suicidal, now living in Egypt. Doing what, I have no idea.

Lt.Uhura

Art, as a bonus for people who sign up early for listener membership, how about a collectible limited edition "Ticket to Ride" card with MITD logo/artwork?  There are many fantastic artists here who could come up with a nice design.  [attachment=0]

Morgus

Quote from: Art Bell on April 16, 2015, 09:15:26 PM
The absolute hardest thing to try and do is guess how many people will show up. I can guess from 5,000 to who the hell knows, I plan to be happy and have fun no matter what.

Now I have something NEW! It turns out we can provide a 32Kbps AAC+ stream as well as a standard 32 Kbps stream. AAC+ is nothing short of amazing, it will sound as good or better then 64Kbps. If you doubt it find a station at 32AAC+ and take a listen, my goodness it is good and we can offer a choice, bottom line we use half the bandwidth and so do you. The World keeps changing. 48Kbps AAC+ sounds better then 128.

Art

Does Tunein's apps and PC browser player support AAC+ format?
At Tunein's help page they indicate their PC browser web player only supports MP3 and not AAC
However Tunein apps on devices support AAC, but on PCs an external media player (such as Winamp) is needed for AAC.

http://help.tunein.com/customer/portal/articles/914838-why-do-i-have-to-%E2%80%9Cdownload-this-stream%E2%80%9D-to-listen-to-this-station-from-my-computer-

twiki

Art I just wanted to say thank you for years of entertainment. I will be taking out a subscription and I truly cannot wait to hear you on the air again.

WOTR

Quote from: twiki on April 17, 2015, 01:27:23 AM
Art I just wanted to say thank you for years of entertainment. I will be taking out a subscription and I truly cannot wait to hear you on the air again.
It seems the recent announcement has brought a number of new faces... Welcome, post often, and enjoy your stay.  It should be a good ride.

onan

Quote from: Laurakinch on April 16, 2015, 10:47:25 PM
My husband did it with no trouble. In fact, told me he could easily cut a person's head off. No problem.

My wife says that to me during sex.

berry

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 17, 2015, 12:25:36 AM
Art, as a bonus for people who sign up early for listener membership, how about a collectible limited edition "Ticket to Ride" card with MITD logo/artwork?  There are many fantastic artists here who could come up with a nice design.  [attachment=0]

I love that golden ticket idea!!

Quote from: berry on April 17, 2015, 03:49:48 AM
I love that golden ticket idea!!

Its cool, I also like the idea of a signed picture. I would pay extra for that.

cweb

Quote from: Nick el Ass on April 17, 2015, 12:13:29 AM
SETTLERS OF CATAN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u8HQNG9k2s

Francis also flipped a table over while playing Magic the Gathering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYuF3T7s7XY
His arms are like little flippers, hehe.

YNOT

Quote from: Art Bell on April 16, 2015, 09:30:04 PM
Here is one example of 32kbps AAC+
http://live.str3am.com:2470/live32.m3u

Holy sheep shit Batgirl!. They were playing some classical string piece and it sounded amazing. The dynamic range (volume) was good too.

Definitely the way to go, Art!

paladin1991

Quote from: MV on April 16, 2015, 10:42:21 PM
I'm not sure what they were playing. The fat guy has a really popular YouTube channel. Do a search for "bring up the fucking servers!"

I will wake up with a slit throat any night. Please mourn me when I'm gone?
then you will have gotten off easy.  there's a reason the British soldiers would save their last round for themselves.

paladin1991

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 17, 2015, 12:25:36 AM
Whoa, that sounds like a great, moderately inexpensive, idea.  I'd go a 10 dollar first month to have a collectable card that I could show off.  I'd put it in my Man Dish with the challenge or unit coins that I have earned over my mil career.

Lt.  I think that would great idea.  Keep thinking.  I like the way your mind works.  Plus, as a kid, I always had a thing for Uhura.  Naughty little alter boy that I was.

Quote from: Art Bell on April 16, 2015, 09:18:23 PM
What kind of music in their Podcasts (commercial?)

Yes, commercial music.
I checked it out, it appears they play about 10 or so seconds of the bumper music in the podcast. Unless someone forgot to remove it..
Not the entire like you'd get from the non-downloadable streaming version

paladin1991

Quote from: onan on April 17, 2015, 03:08:19 AM
My wife says that to me during sex.
Dude, you can call me anything you like, but I am not the wife.  You are.  Let's keep our roles....straight.

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 17, 2015, 10:34:50 AM
  then you will have gotten off easy.  there's a reason the British soldiers would save their last round for themselves.

Nah, too easy to lose track. Always keep a frag in reserve.

Also note worthy, Dave Schrader podcast leaves the bumper music in full in the dowbload file

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Art Bell on April 16, 2015, 09:18:23 PM
What kind of music in their Podcasts (commercial?)

It seems to be non-commercial music in their Podcasts.  Up to now they had no music.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Laurakinch on April 17, 2015, 12:22:50 AM
He couldn't get a job, of course. Continued his education here, got an MBA, still couldn't get a job (post 9/11). I convinced him to return home to Jordan since he was becoming depressed/ suicidal, now living in Egypt. Doing what, I have no idea.

Jesus, how many millions of these fuckers are there?

ge30542

If the 210 "yes" respondents sent Art a pre-paid year, (at 5 bucks per month), that's $12,600, Is that enough for Art to do much with?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: ge30542 on April 17, 2015, 12:17:33 PM
If the 210 "yes" respondents sent Art a pre-paid year, (at 5 bucks per month), that's $12,600, Is that enough for Art to do much with?

That's a good down payment on Keith's new Lamborghini Huracán LP 610-4.

Are there metrics on how many people visit Art's website daily?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on April 17, 2015, 12:59:28 PM
Are there metrics on how many people visit Art's website daily?

there are metrics in place for sure, but i don't think there's any way for us to have an accurate idea of what the metrics say.  only keith and art and their hosting provider know that.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ge30542 on April 17, 2015, 12:17:33 PM

now up to $12,900 btw.

ge30542

Quote from: MV on April 17, 2015, 01:15:22 PM
now up to $12,900 btw.

MV, if I'm not mistaken, during a recent GabCast, you, ( I think it was you) quoted $37 monthly as bandwidth cost for GabCast, (am I recalling correctly?).
With 215 yes votes, that gives Art $ 1075 monthly, would he have bandwidth costs far greater than yours?