• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

The General

Quote from: Art Bell on February 26, 2015, 12:50:23 PM
We are still looking into Radionomy but at first blush it looks iffy in a lot of ways. Here is the deal, I have some money saved which is now for my Family so I can not afford to take a chance on getting sued at this stage. While this company may squeak through from a legal point of view what I have read so far concerns me. We are still checking into it. Jeez, make any money and the vultures come. Read this link... http://podcasternews.com/2014/10/02/adam-carolla-podcast-patent-details/
Of course that is not Radionomy but you get the idea. As I said, still checking.
The problem is we will not be small, if I was just a guy who wanted to play around with a small gig it might be worth a try, we shall see.

Art
Yes, they really went after Adam Carolla.  And for almost nothing, as far as I can tell.  They made up a lawsuit out of whole cloth because they smelled money.  I think they were just hoping Adam would pay them off and settle out of court. 

Danger!UFO

Art:

I agree that we need the bumper music. I'd pay a subscription for the show regardless.

How about a possible alternative?

Ross Mitchell!

I'm sure you'll have Ross do the bumpers anyway but how about a show opening and bumpers? You can still do your own intro to the show.

Find/produce/purchase some really good Science Fiction sound effects/music and have Ross do the 'want to take a ride' thing as an intro. I can hear some spooky/outer space type sound effects/music with Ross announcing the show and breaks.

Just a thought.

That being said please continue to try and obtain the bumper music that we all know and love. We support you in whatever happens.

DesertFox

We are still looking into Radionomy but at first blush it looks iffy in a lot of ways. Here is the deal, I have some money saved which is now for my Family so I can not afford to take a chance on getting sued at this stage. While this company may squeak through from a legal point of view what I have read so far concerns me. We are still checking into it. Jeez, make any money and the vultures come. Read this link... http://podcasternews.com/2014/10/02/adam-carolla-podcast-patent-details/
Of course that is not Radionomy but you get the idea. As I said, still checking.
The problem is we will not be small, if I was just a guy who wanted to play around with a small gig it might be worth a try, we shall see.

Art

Art--thanks for the update.  Every wrong path just gets you closer to the right one--I have confidence in you finding the right way...a motivated Art Bell is a force to be reckoned with. 

Danger!UFO

Art

Oh, hey Art! Please take your time. Things will somehow work out. Thanks for the updates. Yes, your family comes first. Explore all options and make sure things are legally safe!

DesertFox

Quote from: Danger!UFO on February 26, 2015, 01:06:59 PM
Oh, hey Art! Please take your time. Things will somehow work out. Thanks for the updates. Yes, your family comes first. Explore all options and make sure things are legally safe!

I concur!  Take your time and nail it down safe and right...you got a good deal of time yet, Art.

pyewacket

Art- I'm happy that there are more alternatives open to you. I'm sorry if I spoke out of turn about the music issue. It's your show and you should be able to produce it the way you want it to be. My only point is that NO music, no mater how cool or special, can save what now passes as C2C. 

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to hear your show in its original format. It would shine a spotlight on the show you started and contrast it with what has become of it.

dungiven

Hell, July is a self imposed deadline by Art, and by extension, us, anyway.  If it takes a bit longer for him to get the situation to his liking, so be it. He has already added greatly to my life by being there when I was working nights on Interstate 85 in the 1990's. Those were great shows. I have also enjoyed Art posting on Bellgab and simply taking part in the forum. Who would have thought? Everything after his first retirement has been icing on the cake anyway as I see it.

But, if I could have one thing, short of Art returning on a regular or semi-regular basis, it would be to have him host a Gabcast in which he would interview MV, complete with Open Lines.  I would pay double for that one.

coaster

Jeez, make any money and the vultures come.

Art
Sure. Its the american way.

MV/Liberace!

Art

Art...
Adam Curry and John C. Dvorak are the hosts of The No Agenda Show and they're each making an estimated $250,000 per year doing that podcast, and they've had no problems along the lines of the patent troll thing your link refers to.  There are also numerous other "big time" podcasters who are having zero problems along these lines, so I wouldn't sweat this at all.

ItsOver

Quote from: Danger!UFO on February 26, 2015, 01:02:36 PM
Art:

I agree that we need the bumper music. I'd pay a subscription for the show regardless.

How about a possible alternative?

Ross Mitchell!

I'm sure you'll have Ross do the bumpers anyway but how about a show opening and bumpers? You can still do your own intro to the show.

Find/produce/purchase some really good Science Fiction sound effects/music and have Ross do the 'want to take a ride' thing as an intro. I can hear some spooky/outer space type sound effects/music with Ross announcing the show and breaks.

Just a thought.

That being said please continue to try and obtain the bumper music that we all know and love. We support you in whatever happens.
Music?  It's nice to have to me but, man... Ross Mitchell?  The ultimate, primo announcer.  Sure hope you have Ross on board.

SnapT

There's always a small risk of lawsuits no matter WHAT you're doing.  Art's lucky Don Ecker didn't sue him for using the name DARK MATTER.  Talk about brand confusion!

Why anyone would spend the money to sue Art Bell for doing a late night paranormal radio show with short musical interludes is beyond me.  They'd be laughed out of court.

Art

Commercial radio stations use Radionomy.
KBLI NewsTalk 690
KIXW Talk 960
KOAN Fox NewsTalk 1020
WBTAM NewsTalk 1110
WTAW NewsTalk 1620
WYXC NewsTalk 1270
Just to name a few. If it was iffy they would not be risking their stations if there was a chance of being sued. 

ks3484

Art

Art, The first thing I would suggest is that you talk to those at Radionomy to find out too what degree, and what kinds of instruments for indemnification do they have and what will they give to you and/or your LLC.  That should protect you and the beneficiaries in your family. I would also suggest that you verify their arrangements with ASCAP,BMI, and SESAC.

Music Licensing Coverage

We have got you covered. We cover all the music licensing necessary to stream online. You just program the music and content you love.

Represented in the Radionomy Group of companies are Radionomy, SHOUTcast, TargetSpot, Hotmixradio, and Winamp. Radionomy Group has a global footprint with operations in the United States, France, Spain and Germany.]

Radionomy Group includes the main players of the online radio industry

55 608 Online radio stations Radionomy & SHOUTcast

Radionomy is a free groundbreaking platform that is changing the way people from around the world create, discover, and listen to Internet radio. Radionomy provides everyone from artist and celebrities to professional broadcasters and music lovers with the tools and infrastructure to create, broadcast, promote and monetize their own online radio stations completely free of charge.

popple

That spreaker image looks like it's for cold & flu medicine.

Art Bell

Ok, our big player is still very much in play, if need be we will look at others. I will let you know when we sign on the dotted line and agree to this ten Year NC.

Have I mentioned KNYE?

Art

Morgus

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on February 26, 2015, 10:13:42 AM
I think what it refers to is http://www.spreaker.com/

looks to be a site for creating 'your own radio show'.
FYI, spreaker.com is what Jimmy Church switched to for hosting his internet streaming radio show instead of Keith's Dark Matter...

DesertFox

Quote from: Art Bell on February 26, 2015, 03:33:26 PM
Ok, our big player is still very much in play, if need be we will look at others. I will let you know when we sign on the dotted line and agree to this ten Year NC.

Have I mentioned KNYE?

Art

Ah--classic Art Bell humor.  Love it!

Have I mentioned KNYE?

Art

Thanks Art!  And good thought on KYNE.  I don't think that's been mentioned, but that's why you're Art Bell and we aren't.

ManiacMatt

Have I mentioned KNYE?

Art

This post made me laugh the most.   ;D ;D ;D

Like Art says, he's a big player and has to dot all his Is and cross all his Ts.  He can't afford to go into this in an amateurist way.  If someone sees gold in his mistakes, we'll talk about it for a few days, probably blame Art or Keith, or someone, then forget about it.  Art and his family will have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

Eddie Coyle

I think the big player is NBC Talk Net. Or possibly Mutual Broadcasting System.

SnapT

Have I mentioned KNYE?

Art

ItsOver

Quote from: ManiacMatt on February 26, 2015, 03:37:27 PM
This post made me laugh the most.   ;D ;D ;D
Ha!  Same here.  I also laughed thinking about when Dave thought the "Kingdom of Nye" was some mythical spot he had inherited with C2C.

jazmunda

Have I mentioned KNYE?

Art

It was only a matter of time before someone mentioned the K word. Well played sir. Well played.

I think you should live dangerously and sign a lifetime NC. That will prove to the world just how badass you are. No one puts Art in a corner.

ItsOver

Quote from: SnapT on February 26, 2015, 02:45:24 PM
There's always a small risk of lawsuits no matter WHAT you're doing.  Art's lucky Don Ecker didn't sue him for using the name DARK MATTER.  Talk about brand confusion!

Why anyone would spend the money to sue Art Bell for doing a late night paranormal radio show with short musical interludes is beyond me.  They'd be laughed out of court.
Hell, they'll sue you for breathing.  I'm sure some scumbag will sue you for not breathing.  Where there's $, there's some low life looking to steal it.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: ItsOver on February 26, 2015, 04:08:20 PM
Ha!  Same here.  I also laughed thinking about when Dave thought the "Kingdom of Nye" was some mythical spot he had inherited with C2C.

Are you serious?  Dave noory is such an ignoramus.  What a shame C2C doesn't have a host that understands and respects what Art did.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: ItsOver on February 26, 2015, 04:17:19 PM
Hell, they'll sue you for breathing.  I'm sure some scumbag will sue you for not breathing.  Where there's $, there's some low life looking to steal it.

Let's sue Dave Noory for ruining C2C.

dungiven

Have I mentioned KNYE?

Art
10 Year NC?! Bwahahahaaaaaaa. Classic AB