• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Morgus

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on February 23, 2015, 04:11:21 PM
I bet we could get JC enraged just by insisting that he's only a 9 star general and not a 10 star one.

Does he ever post here?
No JC postings here, but I've seen some guy claiming to be JC Webster posting on Art's facebook page recently.
Of course there are lots of JC imposters out there, I suspect even some of the ones calling in to c2cam over the years...

Zack

Quote from: Zack on November 09, 2013, 08:58:17 AM
"...Why not just syndicate it out of KNYE?  Art should make KNYE the flagship of DM."

Now I realise there's something I forgot about, HD FM radio.  If KNYE ever adds a HD radio transmitter they can broadcast multiple stations on a single FM frequency.  It's been around for years though never caught on.  But that's OK because even if no one ends up listening to or picking up the HD signal, it could still be used as the flagship for the show and can still be syndicated out to other stations.  So you could have something like this...

95.1 - Regular KNYE same station as it is now.
95.1 HD2 - Home of Dark Matter Radio, stream and syndicate the show out of this new second station, nothing changes for the normal listeners of the current KYNE.

Or just have Dark matter on KYNE and move that block of music to the HD2 station during Art's Show?

If he worked out an agreement with KYNE to add Dark Matter HD2 station, it would still originate from the FM signal and should be covered by the existing royalties agreement? If commercials could be sold it could pay for leasing the second channel, royalties would be taken care of and DMRN's streaming seems to be very reliable as it is.  The existing KYNE format could continue as is for the listeners.  At the same time Art would be given a platform for his new show hopefully with the royalties stuff all worked out.

smithy

With Art Bell's millions of fans and literally thousands of experts in the fields of law, entertainment, music, etc. he has promoted for free as guests on his shows, there are people out there who would gladly help Art get this show going. I won't throw out names but many come to mind.  Print up a huge batch of well-written non-disclosure agreements and make sure everyone signs them before you begin a conversation.    Bateman knows his stuff and is an example of the knowledge base available.  Art needs to realize that millions want to see this show become a reality--attorneys, industry pros, etc.,--are among Art's fans.

Quote from: WhiteCrow on February 23, 2015, 03:29:52 PM
^^^^ yep, I got faith in Art, that he'll back.... Then I start reading all these posts and my little brain starts spinning and melting down with fears that he won't be back.
I'll take your advice "Keep calm & trust Art" and go back and do what I do best; hassle'in MV and troll'in on Falkie's musing thread. (smiley face crap)

That's the spirit! Do what you do best.

sydtron

Art will find a way. Being as Art Bell does what Art Bell does. Moving on to more pleasurable topics. Who is going to have a listening party?  And what would you serve?  Myself, copios amounts of beer and grain alcohol. With some dubious.  Relish tray with homemade chip beef dip and hawiian rolls.  Pizza rolls (just to be a hater) But no turkey sammitches.  Maybe some of my sisters Ruben dip. WHAT AM I MISSING? heelp me out!
Disclaimer:I nor MV  take any responsibility for you raiding your fridge and making a sammitch out of fried chicken, ham, pickles, bbq sauce, cheese, tomato, and or ranch dressing.  Good luck!

SnapT

I'll annoyingly post for the millionth time that broadcasting the show on a small terrestrial radio station with the applicable fairly-priced music license seems to be the most logical option, and will result in a free worldwide stream that doesn't cost Art tens of thousands of dollars monthly.  Because it's a terrestrial radio show and the stream is secondary, just like COAST TO COAST AM's dozens of free nightly radio streams.

If Art doesn't want to work with KNYE for whatever reason, surely there's some other radio station out there that would enjoy broadcasting the all-new Art Bell show? 

Or perhaps Art could BUY some small existing station for the cost of building a "studio" or two?

That surely would be a huge savings over paying the insanely priced streaming fees for internet-based broadcasts of popular music.

Quote from: SnapT on February 23, 2015, 11:33:07 PM
I'll annoyingly post for the millionth time that broadcasting the show on a small terrestrial radio station with the applicable fairly-priced music license seems to be the most logical option, and will result in a free worldwide stream that doesn't cost Art tens of thousands of dollars monthly.  Because it's a terrestrial radio show and the stream is secondary, just like COAST TO COAST AM's dozens of free nightly radio streams.

KNYE would make the most sense. I have no idea why this is not an option, except maybe the cost.

Just out of curiosity, how many studios does Art now have attached to his little place out there in the desert?  Does each come with a complimentary antenna?

Heather Wade

Just one big antenna large enough to be an unexplained power source.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on February 24, 2015, 12:54:33 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many studios does Art now have attached to his little place out there in the desert?  Does each come with a complimentary antenna?

Curious George?

Quote from: (Redacted) on February 24, 2015, 01:00:42 AM
Just one big antenna large enough to be an unexplained power source.

Art Bell: Unexplained power source? Dee's NUTS!

elbee

It seems to me that Art's refusal to chase down obvious solution, ie broadcast on a small radio station AND live on the DMRN or use indie music like Dark City is full proof he doesn't really want to come back, he wants to abandon his duty.

Listen Art, it's because of you that Noory is on the air,

You are the only one who can take him off

Chaim

I suggest to stop the debate about where Art is going to be broadcasting/streaming. It's pointless. If Art needs ideas he can surely say so. Obviously it's what is on everybody's mind, and everybody is sitting on hot coals waiting for news.
Better do something progressive, like suggesting guests that weren't on any shows yet, who you would like to hear on his next shows, or debate about the best old guests in the thread below this one.
Can be debate good new guests, or are we too afraid of Davebots? I guess if we are, we can't really debate about anything here.

elbee

The best shows I heard from Art were the Mystery shows. A recent example would be missing 411, with Knapp. No body knows what happened - but it makes you think and wonder....

WildCard

Quote from: El Bee on February 24, 2015, 02:05:04 AM
It seems to me that Art's refusal to chase down obvious solution, ie broadcast on a small radio station AND live on the DMRN or use indie music like Dark City is full proof he doesn't really want to come back, he wants to abandon his duty.

That's the ticket. Guilt trip him. Then he'll have to come back.

Noorie's just one piece of the machine/psy-op. Code name - "Operation Dumb Down".

dan7800

Quote from: El Bee on February 24, 2015, 02:05:04 AM

Guys, please stop b*tching about Art, you will see that you already gave a few VERY good explanations why KNYE likely is not an option. That low hanging fruit has been explored.

onan

Quote from: dan7800 on February 24, 2015, 06:48:02 AM

Guys, please stop b*tching about Art, you will see that you already gave a few VERY good explanations why KNYE likely is not an option. That low hanging fruit has been explored.

But, what about KNYE?

Hey, I was just thinking...why doesn`t Art use KNYE??

It`s perfect, right? Can`t believe nobody thought of it.

Chaim

is KNYE full FM now or can they broadcast AM as well?
I guess FM just sucks for a talk show like Art Bell.
It also doesn't have the charm, AM is perfect because of the amazing distance you can receive it.
I can't imagine that it is really a problem to keep track of the music Art plays,
maybe the current owner doesn't want Art back because they want to broadcast polka music all evening, or something.

sydtron

http://freeradioonmyphone.org/

More evidence that over the air radio is dying a a slow painful death.

And who is behind this marketing blitz?
NPR AND THE NAB.
The NAB must be loosing their shit!
They even have Erik Estrada doing commercials for them.
Bahahhaha.  I must say, this should have been activated on phones years ago. Only makes sence to me.

basswood

Maybe there is a local radio station near Art that could host him. Someone might want to look into it.

puddintame

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 24, 2015, 08:33:04 AM
Hey, I was just thinking...why doesn`t Art use KNYE??

It`s perfect, right? Can`t believe nobody thought of it.

KNYE
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of license    Pahrump, Nevada
Broadcast area    Pahrump, Nevada
Branding    KNYE 95.1 The Kingdom of Nye
Slogan    The Big Voice of The Valley
Frequency    95.1 MHz
First air date    2002
Format    Freeform
ERP    6,000 watts
HAAT    -28.2 meters
Class    A
Facility ID    78350
Callsign meaning    Kingdom of Nye
Owner    Karen Jackson
(Pahrump Radio, Inc.)
Webcast    Listen Live
Website    knye.com

KNYE is an American radio station located in Pahrump, Nye County, Nevada. The station plays an eclectic mix of pop music most of the broadcast day. Coast to Coast AM is heard every night from 10pm til 6am (Pacific Time). The signals are received in Las Vegas 60 miles to the east and Death Valley 30 miles to the west. On May 29, 2008 Art Bell, former host of Coast to Coast AM sold KNYE to station manager Karen Jackson for $600,000.

In 2013, the station changed its slogan from "Where things go Pahrump in the night" to "The Big Voice of The Valley".

ItsOver

All the wishing in the world won't make it happen.  It's ultimately up to Art and just how much effort and expense he wants to take on to make it happen.  Maybe it's a lot, maybe it's a little.  Time will tell.  I hope for the best and wish him well.

Art, you're my radio Mr. Rodgers.

Dark Matter will be back, when the night is new
And I'll bring more paranormal idea's for you
You'll have things you'll want to call and talk about
I will too

*ding* *ding*

The Art wants what the Art wants.

Delphi

It puts the lotion on its skin

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: SnapT on February 23, 2015, 11:33:07 PM

NOT "free worldwide stream".  FM stations that also stream pay Sound Exchange to do so.  They are also required to maintain and submit complex records of each song, how many times played, etc...
I think Art and others have mentioned this here. 

And for those harping on KNYE..Art no longer owns the station, can't simply commandeer it to do his show.  Not to mention he has said repeatedly he's done with terrestrial radio.  One hope for terrestrial radio--if Art would even consider it--would be a small non-profit community station that also streams, (and still pays all the usual royalty fees though at a reduced rate compared to the big commercial stations).  One more thing, bandwidth ain't cheap.  It's not too costly for small shows with few simultaneous listeners, which we know will not be the case with Art Bell.

Whatever arrangement he's pursuing, I think it's wise to keep it to himself and not post his business here.

Delphi

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 24, 2015, 04:48:06 PM
NOT "free worldwide stream".  FM stations that also stream pay Sound Exchange to do so.  They are also required to maintain and submit complex records of each song, how many times played, etc...
I think Art and others have mentioned this here. 

And for those harping on KNYE..Art no longer owns the station, can't simply commandeer it to do his show.  Not to mention he has said repeatedly he's done with terrestrial radio.  One hope for terrestrial radio--if Art would even consider it--would be a small non-profit community station that also streams, (and still pays all the usual royalty fees though at a reduced rate compared to the big commercial stations).  One more thing, bandwidth ain't cheap.  It's not too costly for small shows with few simultaneous listeners, which we know will not be the case with Art Bell.

Whatever arrangement he's pursuing, I think it's wise to keep it to himself and not post his business here.
Why do you think that?

Chaim

Quote from: Delphi on February 24, 2015, 04:51:21 PM
Why do you think that?
because davebots, obviously.

as for going back to KNYE, you can imagine, it could be an odd situation. Chances are the current owner doesn't want his former boss meddling in his affairs, and Art probably can't deal with the idea that he is no longer in charge of the station and has to play ball. So it is more a pychological barrier I believe, than making a list of which music you play.

Being an FM station now doesn't help either. I don't know how hard or expensive it is to broadcast AM again.
People are saying terrestrial radio is dying? There's truth to it, but I believe in the US that covers mostly FM-Radio, and the fact that most radio stations are simply broadcasting crap that nobody wants to hear - unlike an Art Bell radio show and its special flair.

Stations are selling between $100k and 1 million, more if near a big population center. (info from here: http://www.mergernetwork.com/radio-stations-for-sale/page-1 )