• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 31, 2014, 10:06:10 PM
Art just posted:

Art Bell
Just now · Pahrump, NV ·
This is one of those times I truly wish I was on air. Please view this link
http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2014/07/31/liberian-president-there-are-dead-bodies-all-over/
We are bringing two infected and very sick health care workers here...why?
I hope Homeland has considered what somebody with bad intentions could do with this.

What I wouldn't give to hear him discuss this in the first hour of a show.  I'm getting chills imagining it, that's the magic of Art.

ItsOver

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on August 01, 2014, 10:27:00 AM
What I wouldn't give to hear him discuss this in the first hour of a show.  I'm getting chills imagining it, that's the magic of Art.

This is one chilling image.

[attachimg=1]

Juan

Good for Mr. Obama.  It's not fair that the disease is limited to Africa.

bateman

These people are out of their goddamn minds. I spoke to a medical correspondent (BEFORE this happened) at one of the news outlets who said he fully expects there to be a case in the US or Britain - who'd have thought the case would be because we decided to BRING IT HERE ourselves.

What happens after these 2?? Fly more in???

wr250

Quote from: bateman on August 01, 2014, 03:50:23 PM
These people are out of their goddamn minds. I spoke to a medical correspondent (BEFORE this happened) at one of the news outlets who said he fully expects there to be a case in the US or Britain - who'd have thought the case would be because we decided to BRING IT HERE ourselves.

we import it along with antibiotic resistant TB just for grins. we take the illegal border crosser's and distribute them and their diseases all over the country. that way the epidemic spreads more rapidly.
oh wait, we have already done this.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: bateman on August 01, 2014, 03:50:23 PM

It's madness. I don't understand what's going on in this country anymore. I really don't.

WildCard

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 31, 2014, 10:06:10 PM
Art just posted:

Art Bell
Just now · Pahrump, NV ·
This is one of those times I truly wish I was on air. Please view this link
http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2014/07/31/liberian-president-there-are-dead-bodies-all-over/
We are bringing two infected and very sick health care workers here...why?
I hope Homeland has considered what somebody with bad intentions could do with this.
I live in Georgia. Here's hoping, "The Waking Dead", wasn't predictive fiction.

I imagine this was a heavily weighed decision by well informed people who well understand the spreading mechanisms and containment of Ebola.  Don't let the fear get to you.  Then you'll be a victim of the Noory virus.

bateman

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 01, 2014, 04:37:49 PM
I imagine this was a heavily weighed decision by well informed people who well understand the spreading mechanisms and containment of Ebola.  Don't let the fear get to you.  Then you'll be a victim of the Noory virus.

http://youtu.be/5NNOrp_83RU

Bateman  ;D

Wait did I say the Noory virus.  I meant the NoorWells virus. 

NoorWells?  Norwalk?  anyone?

WildCard

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 01, 2014, 05:14:48 PM
Bateman  ;D

Wait did I say the Noory virus.  I meant the NoorWells virus. 

NoorWells?  Norwalk?  anyone?
No thanks. I'm tryin to quit.

"What are the possibilities, if any, of you going prime-time?"

"Uh, this IS prime-time for me."
"Look, you couldn't drag me into the daytime."
"The people during the day wouldn't understand me.
They wouldn't understand this show.
They wouldn't understand what we do."
-Art
1998-08-03

I think the real problem is the constant threat of possibility.  All it would take is one small mistake by anyone involved in this, and more people could get sick.   Or as Art surmised, there's the unlikely possibility that a malicious person could take advantage.  I think it's just the nature of people who value their health and life to question the wisdom of purposely bringing two people infected with a deadly sickness over here when we are trying to avoid just that.

onan

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on August 02, 2014, 12:06:53 PM
I think the real problem is the constant threat of possibility.  All it would take is one small mistake by anyone involved in this, and more people could get sick.   Or as Art surmised, there's the unlikely possibility that a malicious person could take advantage.  I think it's just the nature of people who value their health and life to question the wisdom of purposely bringing two people infected with a deadly sickness over here when we are trying to avoid just that.

Many tests are time sensitive. Some tests can only be performed in a handful of settings. To fully understand this virus, it needs to be studied in a lab that "can do it all".

I am much more scared of hep A from a food worker.

MikeJ

Ebola is actually only somewhat more contagious than AIDS-at least for now.  It spreads through bodily fluids (not sneezing and coughing like the flu).  It is rampant in Africa mainly due to tribal customs surrounding the burial of the dead.  Many tribes ritually wash the dead and even kiss the person after death.  Unless you have date plans with either of the two infected people, I think you are safe.

Not crazy about bringing them here, but am glad to see we are helping Americans for a change.

Quote from: MikeJ on August 02, 2014, 12:39:41 PM
Ebola is actually only somewhat more contagious than AIDS-at least for now.  It spreads through bodily fluids (not sneezing and coughing like the flu).  It is rampant in Africa mainly due to tribal customs surrounding the burial of the dead.  Many tribes ritually wash the dead and even kiss the person after death.  Unless you have date plans with either of the two infected people, I think you are safe.

Not crazy about bringing them here, but am glad to see we are helping Americans for a change.

I'm just glad I don't have herpes. Seems like everyone has cold sores and mouth herpes.

Not having herpes is under rated.

Quote from: onan on August 02, 2014, 12:23:29 PM
Many tests are time sensitive. Some tests can only be performed in a handful of settings. To fully understand this virus, it needs to be studied in a lab that "can do it all".

No, I agree there are benefits to bringing these people here, just a thought about why some may be feeling something is off about it. 

WildCard

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 02, 2014, 10:49:18 AM
Tough crowd.

[attachimg=1]
heh. I missed you, 2216.
Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on August 02, 2014, 06:05:58 PM
No, I agree there are benefits to bringing these people here, just a thought about why some may be feeling something is off about it.
Everybody's that read Stephen King's, "The Stand", has that feeling.

In the cruel light of day, everything's not so funny anymore.
Wage's of sin and all that.

Scully

For me, Onan, you are the Voice of Reason.  Thanks for speaking out.

Quote from: MikeJ on August 02, 2014, 12:39:41 PM

Thanks for the info re why these things spread so quickly in other parts of the world, Mike. I have been concerned about the coughing and sneezing thing.

I'm also glad to see us helping Americans for a change, though not thrilled about bringing ebola to our own shores.

BobGrau

Quote from: jazmunda on July 31, 2014, 10:13:59 PM
This is why Art needs to have a bigger presence on social media and through artbell.com during his forced hiatus.

If he can't be on radio then he should at least be getting his voice heard through text. He has a following that wants to "hear" from him. Social media will allow him to expand on that base through sharing and retweeting.

I've often wondered if the dreaded non-compete includes some sort of stretchy 'promotional activities' clause that limits his internet activities or something. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

BobGrau

That was a long time ago, man. Can't you just let it go?

The General

Quote from: onan on July 13, 2014, 09:20:19 AM
Good radio isn't really about the subject. It is about the plate it is served on.
Onan, you say the most brilliant things sometimes.

jazmunda

Quote from: The General on August 03, 2014, 01:36:46 AM
Onan, you say the most brilliant things sometimes.

I concur. He would have been a sage before senility and incontinence kicked in.

McPhallus

Agree completely, and there seems to be a lot of irrational fear-mongering going on.  If any country is equipped to handle this thing (study it, learn how it works, and treat it), it would be the US.

onan

Quote from: BobGrau on August 03, 2014, 01:33:35 AM
That was a long time ago, man. Can't you just let it go?

It didn't just happen once...

jazmunda

Quote from: McPhallus on August 03, 2014, 09:39:02 AM
Agree completely, and there seems to be a lot of irrational fear-mongering going on.  If any country is equipped to handle this thing (study it, learn how it works, and treat weaponize it), it would be the US.

Fixed :P

WOTR

Quote from: jazmunda on August 03, 2014, 03:39:07 PM
Fixed :P
Funny we were both thinking the same thing about the US wanting to weaponize anything they can get their hands on- and Ebola is particularly nasty.  I was off trying to recall what I had seen earlier in the month about CDC labs.  For clarity, I really do not care that they brought these cases in.  I think that there is enough public attention that they will not have an breech of protocol (nobody involved wants to face the public next election cycle / explain how they lost containment.)  This is probably pretty safe...

However, I really wish they did not just have major problems with their labs and protocol. 

Lets start with the CDC's own website / announcement from less than two months ago.
"CDC announced today that approximately 75 Atlanta-based staff are being monitored or provided antibiotics because they may have been unintentionally exposed to live Bacillus anthracis (anthrax) after established safety practices were not followed.

Then onto other media stories from the last two months...

"...In addition to failing to properly inactivate the pathogen, samples were also found to have been transferred in Ziploc bags, and stored in unlocked storage refrigerators in an area where unauthorized personnel were free to wander by..."

"...Turns out CDC scientists shipped deadly H5N1 avian influenza samples to a Department of Agriculture poultry research lab.8 They were supposed to send a far more benign variety for study... The error appears to have been discovered when all of the exposed chickens died."  (No, I am not overly agitated- I considered H5N1 to be a bad joke, more or less.  However, the fact that people trained to deal with this made such a stupid mix-up concerns me a little.)

From July 15 (yes, less than a month ago.)
(Reuters) - Federal officials, amid the worst U.S. biosafety crisis in years, have dismissed 11 eminent scientists from a 23-member panel that advises the government on how and whether research on dangerous pathogens should be conducted."

"...“It is ironic that the institution that sets U.S. standards for safety and security of work with human pathogens fails to meet its own standards,” Richard H. Ebright, a professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Rutgers University, wrote..."

And then, of course, they found the boxes containing vials of all sorts of deadly diseases (smallpox, anyone?) sitting in a storeroom and forgotten.

Again, I actually have faith that the two patients do not pose much of a risk.  And, the CDC would get samples even if the two patients never set foot in the U.S.  Overall, the two patients are not what worries me...  But hey, maybe the labs will stop doing stupid things like venting possibly contaminated air from biosafety level three buildings into "clean" areas with visitors (see Atlanta, 2012 for that one) or allowing their workers to die after being infected by Neisseria meningitides (see northern California institute of research, also 2012 for that one.)

As the CDC press release concludes, "CDC is committed to ensuring that people feel safe and are safe in the workplace and the community as employees conduct life-saving laboratory work."  (At lest they say the right things... I think they even said "sorry" when they exposed 80 people to Antrhax...)

Edit: WTF is this doing in the "Art Bell" section? I thought I was in the political section...

Because Art mentioned it on Facebook, and we love off topic discussion?

b_dubb

All it takes is one stoner on a skateboard who either rides out in front of the ambulance carrying the ebola dude(s) or runs into the hazmat dudes carrying the ebola dude on a gurnery.  And then ....COMEDY GOLD

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on August 03, 2014, 08:14:06 PM
All it takes is one stoner on a skateboard who either rides out in front of the ambulance carrying the ebola dude(s) or runs into the hazmat dudes carrying the ebola dude on a gurnery.  And then ....COMEDY GOLD

Don't forget the Benny Hill music.