• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

paladin1991

Quote from: onan on April 13, 2014, 09:55:28 PM
If Art comes back, and I think he will, I will listen to the shows he does. He doesn't owe me anything. So what ever we get is something to enjoy.
Tru Dat.

jazmunda

Quote from: onan on April 13, 2014, 09:55:28 PM
If Art comes back, and I think he will, I will listen to the shows he does. He doesn't owe me anything. So what ever we get is something to enjoy.

I'm not convinced he will be back. I can just as easily see Art saying that if he wanted to "crush" coast he could but he won't do something just for the sake of it and his heart just isn't into it and he doesn't want to do something half assed. Having said that if he does return I will be along for the ride no matter how long or short it is.

Lt.Uhura

Regarding the comments on the last few pages here...While you all are nostalgic for Art's great Dreamland,C2C shows of the 90s, that era is GONE people!  To compare it in breadth to any potential podcast show he'd have today is simply foolish.  We live in a new era where terrestrial radio is a dying medium, and web/podcasting is struggling to find its place.  Sirius XM was a terrible fit for Art Bell, and frankly I'm glad he quit.  From the looks of it, they'll soon be gone too.  Irregardless of the times and technology, when Art returns--perhaps part-time, with just a fraction of the listeners (and callers) he had during his so-called 'glory days', I'll be listening.  Sure, there are a variety of shows today dealing with the paranormal, Earth changes, etc. and they might have their own merits, but none are hosted by Art Bell. 

zeebo

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 14, 2014, 02:42:17 PM
Regarding the comments on the last few pages here...While you all are nostalgic for Art's great Dreamland,C2C shows of the 90s, that era is GONE people!  To compare it in breadth to any potential podcast show he'd have today is simply foolish.  We live in a new era where terrestrial radio is a dying medium, and web/podcasting is struggling to find its place.  Sirius XM was a terrible fit for Art Bell, and frankly I'm glad he quit.  From the looks of it, they'll soon be gone too.  Irregardless of the times and technology, when Art returns--perhaps part-time, with just a fraction of the listeners (and callers) he had during his so-called 'glory days', I'll be listening.  Sure, there are a variety of shows today dealing with the paranormal, Earth changes, etc. and they might have their own merits, but none are hosted by Art Bell.

Uhura I tend to agree with you.  I'd have taken Art on Sirius over nowhere, but I think his brand of broadcasting really worked best with the wide audience he had in the 90's, and I wonder if he realized that himself after his experimental return. 

You all know that Art didn't start with a "wide audience", right?

ItsOver

Size of the audience be damned.  Do it as the statement of a one of a kind artist.  If a work of art shall only have one viewer, should it still not be done?  If a work of Art shall only have one listener, should it still not be broadcast?

bigchucka

One live listener?  The rest catch it when they have a chance?

Lt.Uhura

Once Art is free to do his own podcast, his Internet show could also be broadcast live over the AM & FM airwaves of 'affiliate' radio stations.  It would be easy enough to run his live podcast off a computer plugged in to the board of any radio station--a simulcast essentially.  It doesn't have to be an either/or situation.  There are many folks in this country and worldwide who still have limited to no Internet access. 

zeebo

I don't know, it sounded like Art was fed up with AM radio with all their commercials and the way they let him twist in the wind when he needed their support.

If he wasn't going to dive back into that world, I wish he'd not signed two years away with Sirius and instead just put out his own podcast.  Maybe in a year and a half we'll get to hear that, and in spite of all the drama and disappointment I'll be listening.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: zeebo on April 16, 2014, 11:16:16 PM
I don't know, it sounded like Art was fed up with AM radio with all their commercials and the way they let him twist in the wind when he needed their support.

Corporate radio (Premiere, Clear Channel, Sirius XM, etc.) would have no concept of one of their hosts "needing their support".  Empathy doesn't exist in the corporate model.  It will be interesting to watch what happens to both terrestrial and Internet radio in the next few years.  Commercial radio is circling the drain with their shrinking listener base and advertising revenue.  Meanwhile, small non-profit volunteer-run radio stations are growing in numbers. 

Quote from: ItsOver on April 16, 2014, 09:01:33 PM
Size of the audience be damned.  Do it as the statement of a one of a kind artist.  If a work of art shall only have one viewer, should it still not be done?  If a work of Art shall only have one listener, should it still not be broadcast?

Absolutely, yes broadcast!...

Alone at the mic,
his voice a soliloquy
into the night.

onan

Quote from: ItsOver on April 16, 2014, 09:01:33 PM

Doesn't he do a variation of that? wouldn't his HAM radio qualify?

someguy

Quote from: onan on April 17, 2014, 12:52:15 AM
Doesn't he do a variation of that? wouldn't his HAM radio qualify?

nah, ham radio is like internet message boards for old people

scottydawg

Yeah, I know where your coming from. I listen to the Ham bands on my multi band radio. It's geezerville, mainly guys in the 60-to-80 range talking about the old good ole days of 25cent tappers and $5 whores. And talking about how tube amplifiers give a richer sound to music. And how many QSL cards they've gotten over the decades. Reminds me of kids collecting Pokemon cards!:P

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 16, 2014, 10:29:10 PM
Once Art is free to do his own podcast, his Internet show could also be broadcast live over the AM & FM airwaves of 'affiliate' radio stations.  It would be easy enough to run his live podcast off a computer plugged in to the board of any radio station--a simulcast essentially.  It doesn't have to be an either/or situation.  There are many folks in this country and worldwide who still have limited to no Internet access.

This is already being done with a few shows. There is really no reason, why radio shows wont pick up cheap overnight programing, especially those who don't carry Rush/Noory.

Quote from: scottydawg on April 17, 2014, 05:48:41 PM
Yeah, I know where your coming from. I listen to the Ham bands on my multi band radio. It's geezerville, mainly guys in the 60-to-80 range talking about the old good ole days of 25cent tappers and $5 whores. And talking about how tube amplifiers give a richer sound to music. And how many QSL cards they've gotten over the decades. Reminds me of kids collecting Pokemon cards!:P

Well I'll give them that, tube mics and preamps are quite nice.  They can keep the five dollar whores though.  Crack addicts only charge two.

Vladimir

Quote from: scottydawg on April 17, 2014, 05:48:41 PM

Listening around on your crappy multi band radio, makes you an expert on Ham radio? Friend, Ham radio is no more fucked up than other hobby. What do you do with your spare time, except listen to the geezers?

paladin1991

Quote from: Vladimir on April 18, 2014, 10:03:02 AM
Listening around on your crappy multi band radio, makes you an expert on Ham radio? Friend, Ham radio is no more fucked up than other hobby. What do you do with your spare time, except listen to the geezers?
I like to pretend that I am 10 years old and this radio thing is a birthday gift.  I get them all worked up by asking if they could come over and help me with it. "I'm all alone right now and there's nobody to teach me."  The offers of bus fare to their location..... 

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on April 18, 2014, 09:25:04 AM
Well I'll give them that, tube mics and preamps are quite nice.  They can keep the five dollar whores though.  Crack addicts only charge two.

Well said.  Real men play tube amps...[attachimg=1]

b_dubb

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 18, 2014, 02:36:15 PM
Well said.  Real men play tube amps...[attachimg=1]
1967 Ampeg Reverbarocket here.  Needs to be retubed.

Vladimir

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 18, 2014, 11:02:50 AM
  I like to pretend that I am 10 years old and this radio thing is a birthday gift.  I get them all worked up by asking if they could come over and help me with it. "I'm all alone right now and there's nobody to teach me."  The offers of bus fare to their location.....

CQ... CQ... Hello... CQ!

[attachimg=1]

scottydawg

Well I don't consider my Grundig Satellit 800 multiband radio crappy :o more like hefty!
Got it at a great price thanks to my dad who is a retired Radio & TV Broadcast engineer.
And my dad is a HAM, in his 70's and says he's tired of the talk about old amplifiers.
He says at his age most of his buddies are near deaf or have bad Tinnitus! :-X

In the last 10 minutes of Apr 19, 2014 SIT it sounds like they edited out something one of the callers said.

paladin1991

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 19, 2014, 10:57:11 PM
In the last 10 minutes of Apr 19, 2014 SIT it sounds like they edited out something one of the callers said.
The caller in question was discussing Harp atmospherics and how to burn your Ham signal thru it.  HamPIT, the Hamradio Pirate Interdiction Team, cut off that partricular call in the name of Nashional Securitee.
I've said too much.

Jackstar

I got the full archive a few hours ago, and within hours, I could tell that the entire thing was compromised.

Great work to Agent Willidee, or whoever, but the entire archive is sanitized: do not expect to listen to this archive and expect to find "the truth."

Fair warning, Cunts: hey, btw, what happened to Buliding Seven? I am so looking forward to your cunting, bullshit explanation!

someguy

Haha you're crazy.

BattyBrooke

I know I'm late on it, but WTF is this?! I see it was posted on April Fools' but he wouldn't prank us like this...would he? It was a snapshot posted on the Dark Matter Radio twitter account.

Quote from: BattyBrooke on April 28, 2014, 02:43:05 PM
I know I'm late on it, but WTF is this?! I see it was posted on April Fools' but he wouldn't prank us like this...would he? It was a snapshot posted on the Dark Matter Radio twitter account.

I think we surmised that he referred to his eventual return, not any forthcoming broadcast.  Not a prank, but very oddly timed and worded.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on April 28, 2014, 05:17:32 PM
I think we surmised that he referred to his eventual return, not any forthcoming broadcast.  Not a prank, but very oddly timed and worded.

Thank you for the decoded version of his message. I'm glad I didn't allow myself to get too excited in my assumption there was an actual upcoming broadcast I missed the announcement for!