• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Morgus

I just brought up a DOSBOX window and used the "mem" command and it shows: 632Kb free conventional memory!
You could never get close to that much conventional free memory even with QEMM back in the early 90s!

paladin1991

Quote from: ge30542 on March 03, 2017, 04:57:40 PM
This joint is as subdued as the reading room at Sun City Retirement Village Nursing Home.
MV doesn't even attend any longer.

Hey Art, any thoughts on the fraud Colin Kaepernick, saying he will now stand for the National Anthem?
I guess without 10 mil guarenteed, some lives don't matter as much as he originally thought.
that's what i'm talking about.  If the the fucker, CK, wanted to get my respect...he would have refused to play until the blacks stopped killing each other. 

Bwahahahahahahaha.  Who am I kidding?  CK would have never played another game in his life.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 05, 2017, 01:16:48 AM
I've dealt little with Windows since. I feel sorry for people that have to. Honestly.  :)

windows is not what it once was.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Σ> on March 05, 2017, 03:47:36 AM

No, I know it's much improved since then BUT since it is the number one OS that is hacked users have to spend an ungodly amount of time and/or system resources on maintenance, anti-virus etc. and I just can't get into that action. To each their own, I suppose. I have a Linux system ready to explore when I have some more time to devote to learning about that.

thexfile

I hope Art is getting better. There's no good reason to get old....carousel!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 05, 2017, 03:55:11 AM
...users have to spend an ungodly amount of time and/or system resources on maintenance, anti-virus etc.
ten years ago, yeah.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Σ> on March 05, 2017, 04:21:54 AM
ten years ago, yeah.

Not really. I had a friend setup a system for me with Win 7 or 8 not too long ago and within a couple months it was virtually unusable because of malware and spyware and just shit that I didn't install...and this was a system that apparently had all the maintenance stuff installed and on automatic. What can I say?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 05, 2017, 04:35:38 AM
Not really. I had a friend setup a system for me with Win 7 or 8 not too long ago and within a couple months it was virtually unusable because of malware and spyware and just shit that I didn't install...and this was a system that apparently had all the maintenance stuff installed and on automatic. What can I say?

win8 is five years old, eight if you count development prior to release.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Σ> on March 05, 2017, 04:42:05 AM
win8 is five years old, eight if you count development prior to release.

My friend was averse to installing Win 10 because he said it sucked and that it was too hard to crack the protection now or something. It just always seems to be something that's a problem in that world. Anyway, I'm really not trying to cast aspersions here. It's just my preference.

thexfile

Linux isn't bad. There's a little learning involved but that's not much.

Lilith

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 05, 2017, 04:57:58 AM
My friend was averse to installing Win 10 because he said it sucked and that it was too hard to crack the protection now or something. It just always seems to be something that's a problem in that world. Anyway, I'm really not trying to cast aspersions here. It's just my preference.

Windows 10 ROCKS!

Quote from: Pulling my Pud in Yorkshire on March 05, 2017, 03:07:30 AM
that's what i'm talking about.  If the the fucker, CK, wanted to get my respect...he would have refused to play until the blacks stopped killing each other.

Bwahahahahahahaha.  Who am I kidding?  CK would have never played another game in his life.

He may not anyway.  Great college QB, like Tebow.  The NFL game is just different enough - especially at that position - and they don't quite have the skill set requirements for it.

Quote from: Σ> on March 05, 2017, 03:47:36 AM

Going from a job where I used an Apple II to a place that used Windows 95 was a crushing experience.  There was one program we had that still needed to run DOS, and that looked just gruesome (no wonder Gates said 640k should be enough for anyone - who would use that more than they had to).

But yes, Windows in much better now, still bloated, less buggy.  I'm not sure Apple has been better for at least 10 years, although it is less prone to attack.

Lilith

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on March 05, 2017, 07:24:53 AM
Going from a job where I used an Apple II to a place that used Windows 95 was a crushing experience.  There was one program we had that still needed to run DOS, and that looked just gruesome (no wonder Gates said 640k should be enough for anyone - who would use that more than they had to).

But yes, Windows in much better now, still bloated, less buggy.  I'm not sure Apple has been better for at least 10 years, although it is less prone to attack.

I can only speak for myself, but I only use Windows Defender with my Windows 10 installation. I did disable some things in "services", and went though all the things in "System" and turned most things "OFF OFF OFF".  And have had no problems so far.  I've been using Windows 10 since the early Preview Builds, and used Debian or Deepin before that.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on March 05, 2017, 07:24:53 AM

It still seems somewhat clunkier than the OSX, IMHO.

mikuthing01

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 05, 2017, 04:35:38 AM

I am not a computer person and i am running windows 7 and never had a virus and very little malware. I run microsoft security essentials and scan my system with malwarebytes once in a while and it usually comes up with nothing. I do have a problem running firefox sometimes where it gets really slow and locks up but i think thats a firefox issue and i need to reinstall it im just to lazy to fuck with it.

Quote from: mikuthing01🇯🇵🗾🗼🎋🌸🐙🐲🐼 on March 05, 2017, 12:31:40 AM
Give Art's titties a rub for good luck

Miku, it didn't work. Now, I owe a lot of money to the Native American Yakuza. This might be the end for me.

Pepe be praised.

All glory to Arts' tits.

There was no stalker.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: rekcuf on March 05, 2017, 01:13:04 PM
Miku, it didn't work. Now, I owe a lot of money to the Native American Yakuza. This might be the end for me.

Pepe be praised.

All glory to Arts' tits.

There was no stalker.

Wew, lad!  :D

mikuthing01

Pepe be praised.

All glory to Arts' tits.

There was no stalker.

I know a guy, i got yo back homie

paladin1991

Pepe be praised.

All glory to Arts' tits.

There was no stalker.

No stalker?  Butt.  Butt.  You mean daddy (Butt) fucked us?

ItsOver

Quote from: Pulling my Pud in Yorkshire on March 05, 2017, 01:55:50 PM
No stalker?  Butt.  Butt.  You mean daddy (Butt) fucked us?
LOL.  Pulling my Pud in Yorkshire.  Beat to the beat.  Got beets?  Eat to the beat.  ;D

pigeon wing

Does anyone remember the old Dreamland shows?

Morgus

Quote from: pigeon wing on March 05, 2017, 04:50:36 PM
Does anyone remember the old Dreamland shows?
Yep, in the 90's Linda Howe had a live 1hour report on Dreamland every Sunday night!

Quote from: Morgus on March 05, 2017, 06:03:27 PM
Yep, in the 90's Linda Howe had a live 1hour report on Dreamland every Sunday night!

Those used to irk me back in the day. I couldn't stand her. Now I'm listening to crop circle reports from 1997 and enjoying it.

jazmunda

Quote from: nooryisawesomeâ,,¢ on March 05, 2017, 07:44:46 PM
Those used to irk me back in the day. I couldn't stand her. Now I'm listening to crop circle reports from 1997 and enjoying it.

Nostalgia will do that to you. If I hear some yokel on a podcast bleating crystal clear like he's in my living room about abductions or mutilations or probings I call bull but give me rancher earl squawking through a hand held recorder held up to a payphone at an airport and played over the air on AM and I'm taking that shit to the bank.

albrecht

Quote from: jaz on March 05, 2017, 08:08:57 PM
Nostalgia will do that to you. If I hear some yokel on a podcast bleating crystal clear like he's in my living room about abductions or mutilations or probings I call bull but give me rancher earl squawking through a hand held recorder held up to a payphone at an airport and played over the air on AM and I'm taking that shit to the bank.
Yep. Analyzing it now I'm thinking "wtf, why was I enjoying listening to an old radio call-in show about Windows95 roll-out and potential earthquakes via Michael Scallion" the other day? And why it could still hold my, somewhat (I was doing other chores like packing up the car) my attention.  ;) :o

Dyna-X

Quote from: jaz on March 05, 2017, 08:08:57 PM

For all the fun MITD with Art was, I think the striving for digital perfection was probably a mistake. In the coast days, the FM processing gave Art's voice a grittier edge and the twisted pair copper phone lines had all kinds of eerie hums from the repeaters along the hundreds of miles of line. Even the bumpers sounded punchier in the bass due to the air-chain processing.

The 128kpbs digital signal was nowhere near as satisfying as what was transferred from tapes found in attics and put on mp3 as 48 or 64kbps....that says something.

Quote from: albrecht on March 05, 2017, 08:17:09 PM
Yep. Analyzing it now I'm thinking "wtf, why was I enjoying listening to an old radio call-in show about Windows95 roll-out and potential earthquakes via Michael Scallion" the other day? And why it could still hold my, somewhat (I was doing other chores like packing up the car) my attention.  ;) :o

It was good radio then, and good radio now.

albrecht

Quote from: Dyna-X on March 05, 2017, 09:40:56 PM
For all the fun MITD with Art was, I think the striving for digital perfection was probably a mistake. In the coast days, the FM processing gave Art's voice a grittier edge and the twisted pair copper phone lines had all kinds of eerie hums from the repeaters along the hundreds of miles of line. Even the bumpers sounded punchier in the bass due to the air-chain processing.

The 128kpbs digital signal was nowhere near as satisfying as what was transferred from tapes found in attics and put on mp3 as 48 or 64kbps....that says something.
Totally agree. Don't get me wrong. Hearing some of the disco bumpers when he, finally, rolled out the new show in high-quality stereo was nice but...it was still better to listen in on WTWW and get some of the static. There is magic in the static and it also is "nostalgia" and the idea of "pulling in" the signal versus some bland, perfect signal. How many times on radio (in the old days) maybe even now sometimes, do you recall adjusting dials or antenna to listen to the end of a game, Art with a guest, etc. And driving those moments where you lost and frantically adjust? Strong Mexican (or other) stronger stations started bleeding in and frustrating you? Makes for drama and great radio!