• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

Nick el Ass

O-fu Phil sucks, George Noory sucks, and I'm glad the will be none of either for a few days.

Quote from: zeebo on May 22, 2015, 01:30:41 AM
Here's an example of his "research pack".

zeebo, I also have a fairly large comic collection that spans the early 60's to the early 90's though Archie comics is conspicuously absent.  So that also tags me as a nerd and then there was my interest in AD&D.  3 strikes and I'm out.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 22, 2015, 03:02:13 AM
Oh yeah.  I forgot about those.  I think I saw them but I can't remember them very well.  I'll have to check them out again.  I also liked the episodes with Q but I wasn't crazy about the Borg.

I miss Leonard Nimoy, and there are some cool moments in The Unification 1&2 which the before mentioned BBC America will play on occasion. Spock, Data, Picard together is fun. Plus Sarek is in one of them. Not to mention Romulans.

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 22, 2015, 03:12:00 AM
I miss Leonard Nimoy, and there are some cool moments in The Unification 1&2 which the before mentioned BBC America will play on occasion. Spock, Data, Picard together is fun. Plus Sarek is in one of them. Not to mention Romulans.

Thanks for mentioning that they are on BBC America.  I'll have to check it out.  I have a feeling I would enjoy TNG more now than I did during the original run.

I'd also like to check the Scott Bakula show as I didn't see that series when it was originally broadcast.  I didn't see any of Voyager either.   I think I'll stay away from DS9.

I miss Nimoy too.  My wife likes watching home remodeling shows and Shat seems to pop up on those rather frequently.  The man must have an incredible metabolism.

ItsOver

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 22, 2015, 02:42:46 AM
I felt bad for Wil Wheaton after hearing he had 'anger issues' for years afterward because a vocal group of Trekkies strongly disliked his character.  Having said that, I strongly disliked his character

I'm surprised Wheaton isn't one of Jorch's supposed "buddies," like Mumy.  I guess he must me be too hip.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 22, 2015, 02:42:46 AM
I felt bad for Wil Wheaton after hearing he had 'anger issues' for years afterward because a vocal group of Trekkies strongly disliked his character.  Having said that, I strongly disliked his character

They should dislike his character...it was a shitty character. It had no dramatic poles to make him interesting. He was just a young kid, like a space-physics mozart. Just a plot device.

Look at the good characters and their dramatic poles:
Data: I'm an unfeeling robot but I struggle to empathize as a human can (I can do everything better than a human, yet am worse than a human).
Troy: I sense and understand emotions and feelings, but as an officer I must do my best to coldly analyze these feelings.
Worf: I'm from a savage and warlike species but I am in charge of protecting people and preventing people from fighting.
Picard: I am the leader of a ship and all my actions are for the good of the group. However, the things I value most are my privacy, personal adventures, and personal freedom.

Troi:  I'm really hot and I look great in this uniform
Riker:  Troi is really hot but I have a job to do
Guinan:  I'm horrible in everything else, but a good character on this show
Dr Crusher:  My character is really boring in most of the episodes, but no where near as annoying as Wil Wheaton's
Alexander, son of Worf:  My character is actually worse than Wil's

paladin1991

Quote from: PathoJen on May 19, 2015, 03:37:58 PM
Ha ha ha!!!!
Wait, Dave wears a wig?
Actually, it is a Urantian brain sucker. 

And it's starving.
https://youtu.be/9CdVTCDdEwI

yumyumtree

So, it should either be "clamoring" OR "chomping at the bit." My mother used to say "fonching(sp) at the bit."  I assume that means the same as chomping. Its refrencing horses,  of course.
Lets face it.  Unlike most of us, the World War II generation still had one foot in an America that was very rural and agricultural. Nothing wrong with using old fashioned metaphors, if you don't mix them up, as George did.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: ItsOver on May 22, 2015, 07:41:20 AM
I'm surprised Wheaton isn't one of Jorch's supposed "buddies," like Mumy.  I guess he must me be too hip.

Wheaton is smarter than that, and has a great little blog... and spends his time playing tabletop games.

albrecht

Quote from: yumyumtree on May 22, 2015, 03:54:57 PM
So, it should either be "clamoring" OR "chomping at the bit." My mother used to say "fonching(sp) at the bit."  I assume that means the same as chomping. Its refrencing horses,  of course.
Lets face it.  Unlike most of us, the World War II generation still had one foot in an America that was very rural and agricultural. Nothing wrong with using old fashioned metaphors, if you don't mix them up, as George did.
Norry has a problem with common metaphors. And also, as well documented, problem pronouncing common words (like "powerful.") I know he talks about his family background, a bit, but I wonder if they spoke another language at home and so he wasn't immersed in English at an early age. He talks like someone who learned English much later in life and so doesn't quite "get" syntax, pronunciation, metaphors, etc. Anyone who has learned, or tried, to learn a foreign language (unless a savant) knows the most difficult part is the various accents, the metaphors, etc.
-GNS

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 22, 2015, 03:07:20 AM
zeebo, I also have a fairly large comic collection that spans the early 60's to the early 90's though Archie comics is conspicuously absent.  So that also tags me as a nerd and then there was my interest in AD&D.  3 strikes and I'm out.

No man, 3 strikes and you're in (with us nerds).  8)  But as for AD&D, you can't claim full street cred until you've faced off against a Noorie.  Once on a quest for the Enchanted Pizza Roll, I barely got away from one, and then that damn flying mustache pestered me for miles.

Izintit?

Quote from: albrecht on May 22, 2015, 04:20:52 PM
Norry has a problem with common metaphors. And also, as well documented, problem pronouncing common words (like "powerful.") I know he talks about his family background, a bit, but I wonder if they spoke another language at home and so he wasn't immersed in English at an early age. He talks like someone who learned English much later in life and so doesn't quite "get" syntax, pronunciation, metaphors, etc. Anyone who has learned, or tried, to learn a foreign language (unless a savant) knows the most difficult part is the various accents, the metaphors, etc.
-GNS
One thing is for sure - he was raised outside the mainstream American culture. He knows next to zip about anything that was going on during his youth and teen years. While most people his age revere the Beatles,Stones,etc. George likes Sinatra. Even through osmosis ANYBODY with a very limited exposure to other kids would be more aware of what was happening around them musically,etc. My guess is that George was raised  at his mother`s skirt, "sheltered" from the drugs and "hippies"- a momma`s boy. Finally to have his teenage rebellion in his early 20`s - about the time he started shaving. GNS

zeebo

Quote from: Izintit? on May 22, 2015, 08:03:23 PM
...While most people his age revere the Beatles,Stones,etc. George likes Sinatra. Even through osmosis ANYBODY with a very limited exposure to other kids would be more aware of what was happening around them musically,etc. ...

I have noticed this too.  During his recent dreadful interview with the Doors biographer he seemed to have no interest in or clue about the music of the time, and only could reference sensational stories he'd heard on the news.  He seems to yearn instead for the more innocent, idealized world of earlier romantic crooners, malt shops, and general wholesomeness. 

There's nothing wrong with this, music is subjective after all, but it's another detail that points to a very bad fit for c2c, a show which should be about pushing limits, thought-provoking research, openness to radical ideas, etc.   But he continues to play those sentimental old-timey ballads.   :(

aldousburbank

Quote from: Izintit? on May 22, 2015, 08:03:23 PM
One thing is for sure - he was raised outside the mainstream American culture. He knows next to zip about anything that was going on during his youth and teen years. While most people his age revere the Beatles,Stones,etc. George likes Sinatra. Even through osmosis ANYBODY with a very limited exposure to other kids would be more aware of what was happening around them musically,etc. My guess is that George was raised  at his mother`s skirt, "sheltered" from the drugs and "hippies"- a momma`s boy. Finally to have his teenage rebellion in his early 20`s - about the time he started shaving. GNS
The Revolution Shall Not Be Gnooryized!

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 22, 2015, 03:18:46 AM
Thanks for mentioning that they are on BBC America.  I'll have to check it out.  I have a feeling I would enjoy TNG more now than I did during the original run.

I'd also like to check the Scott Bakula show as I didn't see that series when it was originally broadcast.  I didn't see any of Voyager either.   I think I'll stay away from DS9.

All these series are fond memories from my childhood. Except Bakula's prequel series, never saw a complete episode of it and the country music theme song was a total non-starter.  Very out of character for such a formerly great franchise.

DS9 started off slow but picked up toward the later seasons, to the point that the last few seasons were my favorite of any sci-fi series (until the BSG remake).  The series finale could've been better, but whatever, it's ancient history at this point.

Quote from: albrecht on May 22, 2015, 04:20:52 PM
-GNS

Yes I'd actually like to see him speak his first language on his GAIAM show then just add subtitles, he might be more eloquent that way.  I've got no problem with foreign accents so long as people can speak the language well, whereas Noory seems like he's at an elementary school speaking level.  That's usually fine in everyday life but Noory speaks FOR A LIVING.  As to the rest of the comments of him being sheltered, having anachronistic taste in music, etc, I've noticed that before and wouldn't have a problem with it, except that I'm not sure crooner ballads fit with the themes of most shows.  That was something Art was/is always great at - matching the bumper music to the topic of the show.

Quote from: zeebo on May 22, 2015, 08:18:40 PM
I have noticed this too.  During his recent dreadful interview with the Doors biographer he seemed to have no interest in or clue about the music of the time, and only could reference sensational stories he'd heard on the news.  He seems to yearn instead for the more innocent, idealized world of earlier romantic crooners, malt shops, and general wholesomeness. 

There's nothing wrong with this, music is subjective after all, but it's another detail that points to a very bad fit for c2c, a show which should be about pushing limits, thought-provoking research, openness to radical ideas, etc.   But he continues to play those sentimental old-timey ballads.   :(

I'm  a child of the early to mid 80's so new wave was my generation's music but I also love 50's and 60's rock music.  I remember buying the 45 of Twilight Time by the Platters in 1975 or '76 when I was 8 or 9 years old. Other 45's in my small collection at the time were Wings Let 'em In, Bay City Rollers Saturday Night, Elton John and Kiki Dee's Don't Go Breaking My Heart and The Beach Boys version of Rock 'n' Roll Music and then just before Elvis died I got into his music usually buying oldie 45's of his early hits like Hound Dog though I also bought a 45 of his last hit, Way Down.  Music was constantly being played at my house usually Elvis, Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Hendrix, Frampton, The Electric Light Orchestra and other bands.

I hated cheesy 70's love songs like Baby Come Back and was not a fan of 70's mellow rock like James Taylor.  I liked something with more of a bounce to it.  I absolutely hated cheesy old songs like Put Your Head On My Shoulder and Red Rubber Ball.  I really didn't learn to appreciate Sinatra until he passed away.  I'm a fan of his now and I also like early Bing Crosby.  I pretty much stay away from the rest of the crooners though Bobby Darin and Dion DiMucci transcended that category and made a lot of great music.  Dion is still going strong and really has one foot in the blues most of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUlVCZshZOU

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 22, 2015, 09:01:25 PM
I'm  a child of the early to mid 80's so new wave was my generation's music but I also love 50's and 60's rock music.  I remember buying the 45 of Twilight Time by the Platters in 1975 or '76 when I was 8 or 9 years old. Other 45's in my small collection at the time were Wings Let 'em In, Bay City Rollers Saturday Night, Elton John and Kiki Dee's Don't Go Breaking My Heart and The Beach Boys version of Rock 'n' Roll Music and then just before Elvis died I got into his music usually buying oldie 45's of his early hits like Hound Dog though I also bought a 45 of his last hit, Way Down.  Music was constantly being played at my house usually Elvis, Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Hendrix, Frampton, The Electric Light Orchestra and other bands.

I hated cheesy 70's love songs like Baby Come Back and was not a fan of 70's mellow rock like James Taylor.  I liked something with more of a bounce to it.  I absolutely hated cheesy old songs like Put Your Head On My Shoulder and Red Rubber Ball.  I really didn't learn to appreciate Sinatra until he passed away.  I'm a fan of his now and I also like early Bing Crosby.  I pretty much stay away from the rest of the crooners though Bobby Darin and Dion DiMucci transcended that category and made a lot of great music.  Dion is still going strong and really has one foot in the blues most of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUlVCZshZOU

But you have to admit, you can't hear the sage advice "breaking up is hard to do" often enough.

akwilly

80's music was awesome.going to the roller rink and skating to poisen or whitesnake was the best. Man I wish I could go back in time

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on May 22, 2015, 08:19:39 PM
All these series are fond memories from my childhood. Except Bakula's prequel series, never saw a complete episode of it and the country music theme song was a total non-starter.  Very out of character for such a formerly great franchise.

DS9 started off slow but picked up toward the later seasons, to the point that the last few seasons were my favorite of any sci-fi series (until the BSG remake).  The series finale could've been better, but whatever, it's ancient history at this point.

Yeah, you have to get into DS9 to get into DS9.  Once you do, the story becomes so intricate and complex with all the elements developing over the years, that it becomes worthwhile.  I think those battle scenes showing massive armadas were pretty revolutionary for the time too.

Quote from: zeebo on May 22, 2015, 08:18:40 PM

My father was born in 1932 and has spent most of his life stuck in the 1950s for most things.  He holds the values and virtues of an 1890's prospector.  I don't think even his musical interests are as regressive as Noory's.

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 22, 2015, 04:02:24 PM

Wheaton is smarter than that, and has a great little blog... and spends his time playing tabletop games.

The only time I've seen Wheaton since TNG, he was on a game show (possibly the missing link) with other Star Trek actors.  He kept hitting on the actress who played the half-klingon B'elanna Torres in Voyager.  She got seriously pissed and said as much when interviewed at the end.  Wheaton said he was just doing some character acting and trying to ad lib an obnoxious parody of himself.

Quote from: zeebo on May 22, 2015, 07:59:05 PM
No man, 3 strikes and you're in (with us nerds).  8)  But as for AD&D, you can't claim full street cred until you've faced off against a Noorie.  Once on a quest for the Enchanted Pizza Roll, I barely got away from one, and then that damn flying mustache pestered me for miles.

I tried to find Basswood's drawing of The Noorie, but it seems to have vanished.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 22, 2015, 09:26:13 PM
The only time I've seen Wheaton since TNG, he was on a game show (possibly the missing link) with other Star Trek actors.  He kept hitting on the actress who played the half-klingon B'elanna Torres in Voyager.  She got seriously pissed and said as much when interviewed at the end.  Wheaton said he was just doing some character acting and trying to ad lib an obnoxious parody of himself.

The Weakest Link. I had forgotten all about that show, and if you skip to about 22 minutes and 33 seconds into this clip you can see the lady wasn't happy. I guess Wil wasn't married at the time... or just being creepy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mSB9F45aEc

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 22, 2015, 10:18:10 PM

The Weakest Link. I had forgotten all about that show, and if you skip to about 22 minutes and 33 seconds into this clip you can see the lady was happy. I guess Wil wasn't married at the time... or just being creepy.

I guess I sort of remembered it right.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 22, 2015, 09:09:32 PM
But you have to admit, you can't hear the sage advice "breaking up is hard to do" often enough.

Sedaka is very sappy though I sort of like Calendar Girl and this song with Elton John.  They should have left the flute out and had more guitar on it though.

Bad blood
The bitch is in her smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTTVx--i3m0

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 22, 2015, 02:43:32 AM
I tried to get into TNG and enjoyed several episodes especially when the original cast made appearances.  There were some good shows with Mark Lenard, James Doohan and McCoy but it looked drab compared to the original series. I liked the bright colors and melodrama from the original series.  I enjoyed all of the movies the original cast made. Deep Space Nine was ok but like you, I hated the Ferengi.  I watched DS9 for maybe 7 or 8 episodes then lost interest.

I guess if I would choose a favorite episode from TNG, it would be the one where Picard enters a simulation as Sam Spade and Lawrence Tierney played the heavy.  My favorite episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series were usually the ones that had aspects of American history in them.  The City On The Edge Of Forever, The Omega Glory, Spectre of the Gun, All Our Yesterdays, and A Piece Of The Action.
=====================================================
'Allo!
With you still am i.
I'd like to point out a few facts from the fabulous Harlan Ellison:
1)Most "Trekkies",at least,the first generation,were fundamentalists.
2)The ship,"Enterprise",is captured by an villain in most episodes,but is 'freed'later,ie:"FREE ENTERPRISE".
3)Mr.Elison is an bona fide insider,since he wrote the episode,"City on the Edge of Forever"and,i think,it won an slew of trinkets.
And also,yust to show you what an kool writer/ligitator he is,the conceptual meme that the cosmos we see is some kind of simulation..
May be firstly,borrowed from an 1920's s.f.novel by western hollywood for film,"Journey to the far side of the sun",yet based on endless 1900's stories,ending with Mr.Ellison's former masterpiece/tour de farce,now pretty much forgotten,"STARLOST"!!
In the pilot,the protagonist walks through an fear field at the edge of his village and reaches an wall that's the boundary for the sno-globe habitat he grew up in.
The rest i won't spoil.
Any one might find bootlegs of the series,but mr.Ellison had his associations cut off from the show after he was scammed and the series written by hacks brought in to counterfeit his work.
At one time,he was creddited as "Original Concept By 'CordWainer Bird' "...
NOT,"ALLAN SMITHEE"...
"B_B"

PathoJen

Quote from: akwilly on May 22, 2015, 09:10:52 PM
80's music was awesome.going to the roller rink and skating to poisen or whitesnake was the best. Man I wish I could go back in time
I do too. You still can skate around to whitesnake though.