• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

valdez

George mentioned some herb, or tree root, or fungus, or something in the quack healing arsenal and Christian Wilde  said he didn't know enough about it to discuss it on the radio.  I respect that.  Did John Hogue  predict this Syria thing?  Did any of these c2c quacks see this coming?  I think George can get some credit with his "people are acting weird, something is gonna happen, everybody is whacked out, anything is possible, my sleep number is a 9" vision that he rarely talks about.  A few days ago him and Tom were discussing an upcoming "event" that they're going to attend, and their preparations for it, and their main concern was not what grand presentation George would give (about the illuminate?  a secret civilization on the butt-side of the moon?  chupacabra shadow angels?), but how much Thermo-Breath-Blasters-Deluxe they could stuff into their suitcases.  I might run into somebody with noticeably bad breath a few times a year, but, evidently, George and Tommy are perpetually running the gauntlet though a zombie army from bad breath hell.   

"Love the show, George."

WOTR

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 05, 2013, 03:02:30 AM
I just don't know what everyone expects. Your standards seem about the same as mine. No one here seems to buy Strieber, Hoagland, Dames et all. Well, wait, these were Bell's flagship guests. He made them what they are.

No, we're not. And I fear that Art, even if he returned in full form and exactly as he was in 1995, won't deliver.
I have to agree in some ways.  However, I would turn off the radio with Art back in the day at points because I could not take the BS of the guest any longer and would not hesitate to do so again.  I am not a huge alien person and I doubt I heard much of Strieber back in the day and I know for certain that I had turned off Dames several times (along with a few conspiracy types.)

I have worried aloud in the past of the possibility that the time and the feeling from a decade back are something that cannot be recaptured.  I still harbour a fear that the new program may not live up to expectations.  However, I have no doubt at all that it will be better than the present offering from Dave and Wells.

I guess I am saying that while it may not live up to our memory, and certain guests may suck as much today as they did years back that the overall quality night after night should put Pemrats disaster to shame.  Even if Art brings on the number lady, Hoagland, Dames and Strieber for 20% of his shows and an additional 10% are guests that outright suck that will still leave 2/3 of the nights for a program ranging from above average to excellent.  On the other hand, I think we all know the chances of tuning into an "above average" Coast show unless it is Knapp hosted is closer to 5%.

expat

stevesh

Search still doesn't work here, I guess, but I posted about another C2C guest whose book also went from six figures to four after her appearance. I emailed her to ask what that meant in copies sold and she told me she didn't know. The book business is very complicated, I guess.

Maureen Caudill was her name and her book, about the scientific aspects of the paranormal, is back to 329,860.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on September 05, 2013, 02:23:38 AM
Speaking of Dames, look what I found:

Doesn't the expression on his much younger EE wife say, "Please help me, please get this old perv away from me!?"

[attachimg=1]
She is stunning.  Now i see why he moved to Ukraine.  He is clearly smitten.  The little girl is adorable.   I want the whole story about what happened cuz they now no more together.  I wonder if she spoke English and at what level.  I'm amazed at these intelligent verbal guys who marry a chick that can't even converse beyond a kindergarten level.  Must be a "good cook sitting' on their groceries". (thx to Joni Mitchell)

stevesh

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 05, 2013, 08:27:51 AM
   I want the whole story about what happened cuz they now no more together. 

Sex for green card.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: expat on September 05, 2013, 07:53:11 AM
FYI (F Everybody's I) here are some hard numbers on what a C2C interview does to Amazon rankings:

http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2010/11/sheer-sales-power-of-coast-to-coast-am.html
Clearly C2C is like an Oprah endorsement. Now the guests' patience with Snoorz' bumbles make more sense. 

Now a question for you: What is oenology?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: expat on September 05, 2013, 07:53:11 AM
FYI (F Everybody's I) here are some hard numbers on what a C2C interview does to Amazon rankings:

http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2010/11/sheer-sales-power-of-coast-to-coast-am.html

If you have enough people daft enough to buy his crap then that's what happens. The radio hosts are in on the scam too, how could they not be?

sleeplessinca

Quote from: stevesh on September 05, 2013, 08:29:49 AM
Sex for green card.
I guess I knew that.  Great start for some haiku.

In my community there are whole lotta Asian woman with big rich American.  They look like cat just eat bird. 

There's a part of me that wonders how much of the communication problem is actually a relief to men. Please tell me I wrong.  It would drive me crazy.  And there is this smell in the markets and their houses.  Maybe it is the jellyfish.  I don't know.  And how long until they have to ship in mother alone sad in China?  So many questions. 

Maybe Art could do a show or two on it.  He has some first hand experience and it seems to have worked for him. 

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 05, 2013, 08:27:51 AM
She is stunning.  Now i see why he moved to Ukraine.  He is clearly smitten.  The little girl is adorable.   I want the whole story about what happened cuz they now no more together.  I wonder if she spoke English and at what level.  I'm amazed at these intelligent verbal guys who marry a chick that can't even converse beyond a kindergarten level.  Must be a "good cook sitting' on their groceries". (thx to Joni Mitchell)

Oops, didn't know they were no longer together.  I might not have made fun of the poor guy as much...

She spoke the international language...  8)

Did you mean to say Dames and intelligent verbal guys in the same sentence?   :o

Can we say chicks on here?   :P

Roy Hinkley

Sex for green card.

I'm sorry, but if you look at Dames, listen to Dames, and do the naughty with Dames, its gotta be for the tarjeta verde.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 05, 2013, 08:47:00 AM

If you have enough people daft enough to buy his crap then that's what happens. The radio hosts are in on the scam too, how could they not be?

Yeah, even if not for straight money they're (PremRat/Dave) bought and paid for somehow.  This is what gets me about Dave's crap about being so righteous, honest, and old-fashioned good guy.  He's just a marketing whore for the guests, and part of the good-old-boy network.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on September 05, 2013, 09:00:32 AM
Yeah, even if not for straight money they're (PremRat/Dave) bought and paid for somehow.  This is what gets me about Dave's crap about being so righteous, honest, and old-fashioned good guy.  He's just a marketing whore for the guests, and part of the good-old-boy network.

If it was only Noory it would be bad enough, but there's a whole team of them; and according to the schedule, Art Bell is having Hoaxland in, so that'll spread the word a little more too.

Proposal; before an interview/phone call from a charlatan there should be a health warning broadcast along the lines of "We realise you may not be that bright, and therefore you'll take as gospel almost all if not everything our next guest is about to say on air; please be advised, he/she is talking out of his/her arse, and it's just money making mendacious (note to editor, explain mendacious) bullshit. So no notice should be paid to what it is they're saying, thank you and good evening"

Sex for green card.

Hell, I`m overrun by Russians with green cards here in Myrtle Beach. I doubt any of them had to bang a creepy, old, gasbag like Dames to acquire it. Poor child.

stevesh

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 05, 2013, 09:23:57 AM
Hell, I`m overrun by Russians with green cards here in Myrtle Beach. I doubt any of them had to bang a creepy, old, gasbag like Dames to acquire it.

Close eyes and think of Ukraine.

sleeplessinca

remote viewer dames
hasn't been right even once
mail-order wife left
Steve source of break up
Fountain of laser haiku
So much in few words

sleeplessinca

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on September 05, 2013, 08:50:57 AM
Oops, didn't know they were no longer together.  I might not have made fun of the poor guy as much...

She spoke the international language...  8)

Did you mean to say Dames and intelligent verbal guys in the same sentence?   :o

Can we say chicks on here?   :P
He's got a few brain cells he can rub together.
A chick is basically an objectified woman and that's what we are talking about, right? 

This mail order thing is so weird to me. I guess if I found some beefcake Aussie or Kiwi who wanted to start an Alpaca farm I'd have to reevaluate.  At least we'd speak the same language-sort of.

Oh yeah.  GN sucks.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 05, 2013, 09:49:44 AM
He's got a few brain cells he can rub together.
A chick is basically an objectified woman and that's what we are talking about, right? 

This mail order thing is so weird to me. I guess if I found some beefcake Aussie or Kiwi who wanted to start an Alpaca farm I'd have to reevaluate.  At least we'd speak the same language-sort of.

Oh yeah.  GN sucks.

I was just teasing about "chick" because you used it in your original post.   ;D

Dames can be articulate, but its almost like he's trying too hard to sound smart.  I also don't buy the whole remote viewing scam.

I guess I sort of understand the mail order spouse thing.  Foreign people are intriguing, a little mysterious, can look different, have different ways, maybe speak differently.  If you're bored with vanilla ice-cream, sometimes that Ben and Jerry's Pizza Roll Spumoni looks pretty good.

G'day mate.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 05, 2013, 09:11:05 AM
If it was only Noory it would be bad enough, but there's a whole team of them; and according to the schedule, Art Bell is having Hoaxland in, so that'll spread the word a little more too.

Proposal; before an interview/phone call from a charlatan there should be a health warning broadcast along the lines of "We realise you may not be that bright, and therefore you'll take as gospel almost all if not everything our next guest is about to say on air; please be advised, he/she is talking out of his/her arse, and it's just money making mendacious (note to editor, explain mendacious) bullshit. So no notice should be paid to what it is they're saying, thank you and good evening"

I like your proposal - there really should be a disclaimer.

NoMoreNoory

The issue of Art's guests is an interesting one, and it's good that he seems to be casting his net wide in search of new people as well as likely bringing on familiar names. The challenge of filling so much live radio with interesting subjects and people shouldn't be underestimated. It seems to me that there are two obvious bottom lines here.
The first is that C2C has become absolutely guest reliant. That doesn't have to be the case with Art, because he is (was) the master of the unscreened call and was capable of producing an entire show without guests that was riveting listening throughout. He can engage in a proper conversation with his callers, which Dave is pathologically unable to do.
The second is that you could take all Dave's guests from the recent past - all the psychic cat ladies, all the turmeric and baking soda quacks, all the self-improvement flim-flam, all of them - and put them on with Art and achieve interesting radio. Why? Because Art is (was) a consummate natural broadcaster and interviewer, while Dave is the most inept I've ever heard.
Noory's shows collapse in absurd mediocrity because of his incompetence and downright ignorance. He agrees with everyone about everything, so it becomes like being among a group of born again Christians, or fundamentalists in any walk of life. Everyone believes the same thing, so there is no serious discussion and debate about anything, intellectual enquiry is moribund if not actually suspicious, and the 'scientific method' traduced and cast into outer darkness. There is no grit in the oyster, so no pearls.
There are things I could very happily live without. Goodbye to the 'Heeeere's what's happaneen' rubbish (good for comedy gems from Dave, but nothing else. I love, btw, that my Autocorrect has taught itself 'happaneen') at the top of the show; I have had a bellyful of the Annunaki, Nibiru and Planet X; ditto alien abduction and UFOs in general; let's not get on to abiotic oil, but I wouldn't have a problem with hearing a proper examination of the subjects. There's more to be said about UFOs, for example, than Disclosure. I would like more hard science, real archaeology, forgotten history, etc alongside the Coast/Art staples and some of the subjects that occasionally grab my attention unexpectedly. The Peter Lavendra interviews and David Paulides' Missing 411 shows stand out as examples. Significantly, they were both with Ian and Knapp.
So it's not so much the guests and subjects at issue for me, it's the quality of the presenter. Trading Dave for Art? I approach 9/16 with nothing but optimism.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Foodlion on September 05, 2013, 09:50:15 AM
I got NYET NYET NYET!

Is that like the Russian version of Sgt. Schultz??.... Comrade Schultznitzki maybe?

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on September 05, 2013, 10:10:43 AM
There is no grit in the oyster, so no pearls.

Trading Dave for Art? I approach 9/16 with nothing but optimism.

Wow, great post.  For those in a hurry, I provided the Cliff's Notes (just kidding!!!)   8)

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 05, 2013, 08:47:00 AM

The show gets content, the guest gets access to an audience.  A good host selects a guest that will make for an entertaining show and assumes the audience has some intelligence.  A bad host doesn't care about any of that (right Gnoory?).

Art has guests he's interested in - when someone he wants to interview has something to sell, he has takes the opportunity to have them on and have an interesting conversation.  Heh, there were lots of times when the guest would get exasperated and an hour or two into the show would remind him he was on the show to talk about the book. 

Ian loves books and picks guests for the show that have unusual subject matter - rarely paranormal - and comes with some pretty good questions about the books.  To be fair he only had to read or skim one or two books a week.

George is just there for the paycheck and to make it through another night.  He's happy to have an infomercial where he gets to interrupt randomly and pointlessly.

Quote from: stevesh on September 05, 2013, 08:25:01 AM
Search still doesn't work here, I guess, but I posted about another C2C guest whose book also went from six figures to four after her appearance. I emailed her to ask what that meant in copies sold and she told me she didn't know. The book business is very complicated, I guess.

Maureen Caudill was her name and her book, about the scientific aspects of the paranormal, is back to 329,860.

I wonder how many books need to be bought in a day to move them up in rank from, say, #100,000 to #5000.  There might not be that big of a difference after the top 50, or 100, or 1000 books or so.  I really don't know.

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on September 05, 2013, 10:10:43 AM
So it's not so much the guests and subjects at issue for me, it's the quality of the presenter. Trading Dave for Art? I approach 9/16 with nothing but optimism.
Great post, I am with you.

George and Tommy think the show is about looking at the bearded lady or some guy guessing your weight.

Art realizes the show is about exploring things we don't know; the question "how did that guy guess my weight?" is what makes the show interesting.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 05, 2013, 10:56:10 AM

I wonder how many books need to be bought in a day to move them up in rank from, say, #100,000 to #5000.  There might not be that big of a difference after the top 50, or 100, or 1000 books or so.  I really don't know.

We could probably post a collection of posts as a book. Then order 10 of them and see how far up we move the rankings. We could then cancel the orders.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 05, 2013, 11:11:23 AM
We could probably post a collection of posts as a book. Then order 10 of them and see how far up we move the rankings. We could then cancel the orders.

We'll also want to monitor the sales of that Dave Noorie Late Night Snack Recipe Book.  I'll bet it will sell like hotcakes, which incidentally won't be in there.  It will be in his follow-up Cookbook, "1001 Breakfusses with Dave and Tommie."

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on September 05, 2013, 11:16:34 AM
It will be in his follow-up Cookbook, "1001 Breakfusses with Dave and Tommie."

;D  That old Denny's commercial, what, nine years ago now, was my first inkling that something was seriously wrong with Noory.  "Denny's now has seven new breakfusses on the menu."  ::)