• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

michio

Quote from: Gay on May 22, 2013, 02:47:14 AM
If George had any self-respect, wouldn't he be embarrassed that one of his callers is asking an accomplished legitimate scientist about Nibiru?

Ian could be annoying at times but at least you know he would bang his head against the table if a yahoo caller asked a real scientist a crackpot question (Maybe that caused the ringing in his ears).

Oh, but it gets better. You must have missed (or you didn't miss) Mr. NDE call in at closing time to prop-up Georgie's world renowned ID agenda. This wasn't long after sNoory's standard "but it's too complex to be chance..." statement.  What the caller's oft-repeated tale has to do with an astrophysicist who isn't into that sort of thing, only Georgie knows for sure. Competent call screeners must be extremely difficult to find in this economy, too.

Scully

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on May 22, 2013, 02:29:20 AM
I had a very shtrange thought the other day about poor Georgie.  He is sixty-some years old, and made it that far in life before - dun, dun, dun (dramatic music) - the huge Pizza Roll Revelation that was to become a milestone in little Georgie's life.  Never again would his innocence be returned.  He was attacked by the moulton (Howe) food lava creatures that burned his mouth so bad he could not work, and required a trip to the hospital by a very grown adult to help him.....

Fast forward.  I wondered - if this sixty-year-old man could be that old and never eaten hot food and burned his mouth - oh no!!  What about cold food.  I have a trememdous fear that maybe Georgie doesn't know the yang of his lava hell that was yin - the equally evil cold food creatures.  I can just see him going to the shtore.  "Crap, they're out of turkey saniches again!"  Forget the possessed pizza rolls, maybe this ice-cream is safe?

He goes home and begins to eat the ice-cream.  "Wow, my head hurts".  He keeps eating, and his head keeps hurting.  Poor George cannot put the two together, and there are no coincidences.  The pain will not subside, so he does what we all would do - he calls a coworker at 3:30 am.  "Tommie, I need you to take me to the hospital!"  "What is it now George?" 

"My head hurts.  I'm going to keep eating my ishe-cream until you get here - hurry up."

Long shtory short, Tommie sees the mostly-eaten gallon of Ben and Jerry's "Cattle Mutilation Mud Pie" and puts two and two together.  George, does it hurt more if you eat more?  Well, yes, I guesh it does.  Do I have an alien implant?  Call Roger Leir. 

No George you have an "ice-cream headache". 

"I've never heard of that, what's that?"

Tommie: "Oh my God"

George: "Will it get better, it shure hurts". 

Tommie: "It will get better, but you'll never get smarter" - he mumbles to himself....

George: "I can't believe they don't put safety labels on this shtuff.  Get Jeff Melkin our food safety expert in for a whole week on this - the dangers of cold and frozen food shtuffs..... This is unbelievable, I bet it's happening all....over.....the......planet.

I can't believe it.  What is a mother gives her, her, little kid some ice-shcream.  It could die from this cold shtuff.  We've got to do something.   We don't want hundreds and hundreds of dead little kids running all over the place (yes, a Nooryism) because of this food situation....

Still laughing Roy!  Dead-on satire ... thanks!  ;D

valdez

Quote from: Gay on May 22, 2013, 02:15:48 AM
What is this? I tuned in because I was genuinely interested in the role of serendipitous mistakes in science, but George turns it into the same Astrophysics 101 interview he's done dozens of times before

Nobody puts it all together like Peter Lance.  Tonight he was talking about the mob, but he could make the history of Gerber foods sound exciting.  I didn't know he was a liberal.  I still like him.  The Mario Livio segment on the mistakes made by some of history's brilliant minds should have been fascinating, but one of the few things George is good at is sucking the life out of interesting topics.  Is he planning to ask every scientist that "what if Einstein had a computer" question?  Livio mentioned that space itself can travel faster than the speed of light, and that, actually, there is "no limit to how fast space can expand."  I read a lot about this stuff and I didn't know that.  Very cool.  Maybe that's how we finally get to travel the stars one day, by utilizing this phenomenon.  I think that's how the navigators of the "Spacing Guild' did their thing in the Dune books.  And just when you thought George's music selection couldn't get any worse he plays something at the top of the last hour that sounded like somebody was waterboarding Trini Lopez.  Upon doing some research (thank you, Lex, for updating the c2c website) it was an Irish band from the sixties called the Bachelors singing something called "Love Me With All of Your Heart."  Horrid stuff.

navigator

ufogadfly

Quote from: Gay on May 22, 2013, 02:18:23 AM
George: "I Think Space is Exciting."

Right, because that's what's inside his skull.

ufogadfly

Quote from: valdez on May 22, 2013, 05:22:54 AM
...The Mario Livio segment on the mistakes made by some of history's brilliant minds should have been fascinating, but one of the few things George is good at is sucking the life out of interesting topics.  Is he planning to ask every scientist that "what if Einstein had a computer" question?...

Haven't listened to this episode yet. Looking forward to hearing disGeorge ask "What was the most astounding (fascinating, amazing, scary, insert any adjective) you came across in your research?"

Meanandnasty

Quote from: ufogadfly on May 22, 2013, 08:53:36 AM
Right, because that's what's inside his skull.

It's a black hole filled with grey goo.  Mannotechnoly:  The grey goo inside the black hole of Noory's head caused by the leaking  of the shoe polish he uses on his rug under the lights of his make believe television series.  Put that word in the new urban dictionary.

Quote from: ufogadfly on May 22, 2013, 09:04:08 AM
Haven't listened to this episode yet. Looking forward to hearing disGeorge ask "What was the most astounding (fascinating, amazing, scary, insert any adjective) you came across in your research?"

I got the feeling Dr. Mario was trying really hard to control his disdain for George's questions.

Nebraska888

An eight year old would literally be a better interviewer than George!

Yep, that response really made me laugh out loud.....in the middle of the night.....lying in bed......thinking.....what the !#$!##@!  My God.....simplistic, juvenile, ridiculous.....just plain stupid!   :P

Sardondi

An eight year old would literally be a better interviewer than George!

Quote from: Nebraska888 on May 22, 2013, 10:08:29 PMYep, that response really made me laugh out loud.....in the middle of the night.....lying in bed......thinking.....what the !#$!##@!  My God.....simplistic, juvenile, ridiculous.....just plain stupid!   :P

I read that and this mental image came immediately to mind: the scene in A Christmas Story of Ralphie in line to see Santa, standing next to the weird-looking kid wearing aviator goggles and sounding not quite there in a special-needs way, who says, "I like Santa."

We've talked before about whether George is autistic; now I wonder if maybe Noory has a low-normal IQ, or if he's maybe mildly retarded, as they used to say. "I think space is exciting", indeed.

bateman

QuoteFirst Hour: Writer and medical advocate Julia Schopick talks about how numerous natural treatments have largely been ignored by the medical community.

The Turmeric Hour. I can hardly wait.

Quote from: Sardondi on May 22, 2013, 10:24:11 PM
I read that and this mental image came immediately to mind: the scene in A Christmas Story of Ralphie in line to see Santa, standing next to the weird-looking kid wearing aviator goggles and sounding not quite there in a special-needs way, who says, "I like Santa."

We've talked before about whether George is autistic; now I wonder if maybe Noory has a low-normal IQ, or if he's maybe mildly retarded, as they used to say. "I think space is exciting", indeed.

I've been confident George has a lower than average IQ for most of the time I've listened to him.  It's not just a slight.  He regularly demonstrates an inability to figure out fairly straightforward things or anticipate what guests and callers are leading up to.  For example, a guest will ask him a question to illustrate something "George, how many blanks do you think there were last year?"  and George will be just insanely off in his answer.  George will be reading a news story, laughing, unable to anticipate the next line is "and the man died."  He often seems completely unaware of the point callers or guests are attempting to make.  These seem to me IQ related tasks and they frequently befuddle him.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Sardondi on May 22, 2013, 10:24:11 PM

If you look at it, I think George has a lot of characteristics of Asperger Syndrome.  If you read the social interactions, well, there are no coincidences...

A lack of demonstrated empathy has a significant impact on aspects of communal living for persons with Asperger syndrome.[2] Individuals with AS experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or to seek shared enjoyments or achievements with others (for example, showing others objects of interest), a lack of social or emotional reciprocity (social "games" give-and-take mechanic), and impaired nonverbal behaviors in areas such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture.[1]

The cognitive ability of children with AS often allows them to articulate social norms in a laboratory context,[1] where they may be able to show a theoretical understanding of other people's emotions; however, they typically have difficulty acting on this knowledge in fluid, real-life situations.[8] People with AS may analyze and distill their observations of social interaction into rigid behavioral guidelines, and apply these rules in awkward ways, such as forced eye contact, resulting in a demeanor that appears rigid or socially naive. Childhood desire for companionship can become numbed through a history of failed social encounters.[1]

Immy

Here's yet another instance where Art's know-how is sorely missed. This guest is speaking too close to her phone's mouthpiece, which is causing her to "pop" all her consonants. Highly annoying. Art would have told her about it immediately but stupid Jorch is clueless. Noory sucks!

Morgus

Quote from: valdez on May 22, 2013, 05:22:54 AMLivio mentioned that space itself can travel faster than the speed of light, and that, actually, there is "no limit to how fast space can expand."  I read a lot about this stuff and I didn't know that.  Very cool.  Maybe that's how we finally get to travel the stars one day, by utilizing this phenomenon.
yes - thats the basic theory behind a warp drive, warping space around the spaceship faster than light.

WOTR

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on May 22, 2013, 11:11:31 PM
If you look at it, I think George has a lot of characteristics of Asperger Syndrome.  If you read the social interactions, well, there are no coincidences...
As somebody who lives my life somewhere on the spectrum, I have to disagree with your assessment.  We (and I realize that I am speaking for a large number of people...) do not want him any more than you do.

The fact is that myself and the two other people who I know who have Aspergers (and one was severe to say the least) TRY.  Every day we try to fit in.  We watch behaviors and we make an honest attempt in our lives.  I cannot say that we all succeed- but we all know better than to report child mutilation stories nightly with glee.  We have learned to either care what others say or to at least pretend that we do.  Make eye contact, smile at the jokes, be concerned with the problems and the ailments of others.  Remember what their family members are presently going through and inquire after them.

Frankly- George does not even make the attempt- ever.  Most people who have Aspergers have a higher than average IQ (possibly natures way of making up for causing emotional retardation.)  Again George fails the test.

I do not know what to tell you.  Continue to believe he is Aspergers if it makes you feel better that he is not similar to you (if giving him a classification that you do not fit into puts a smile on your face.)  I will have to continue to disagree with the diagnosis.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Immy on May 22, 2013, 11:35:07 PM
Here's yet another instance where Art's know-how is sorely missed. This guest is speaking too close to her phone's mouthpiece, which is causing her to "pop" all her consonants. Highly annoying. Art would have told her about it immediately but stupid Jorch is clueless. Noory sucks!

he's not a "radio guy" like art is.  this is one of the things that annoyed me about noory from the beginning in 2002.  he doesn't see radio as an art form the way people like art bell do.  he's just another brainless guy yapping into the collective unconscious and the fact that he's doing it through radio is merely incidental.  he'd be just as happy on the view.

Morgus

Noory is already running out of pertinent questions for his physicist guest tonight and the first hour of the interview isn't even over yet.
Noory resorted to derailing the topic of the interview asking about lotteries and sports now...

Quote from: Morgus on May 23, 2013, 12:51:46 AM
Noory is already running out of pertinent questions for his physicist guest tonight and the first hour of the interview isn't even over yet.
Noory resorted to derailing the topic of the interview asking about lotteries and sports now...

I couldn't figure out why he decided to spend so much time asking the good physicist about Google Glasses.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: WOTR on May 23, 2013, 12:21:11 AM
As somebody who lives my life somewhere on the spectrum, I have to disagree with your assessment.  We (and I realize that I am speaking for a large number of people...) do not want him any more than you do.

The fact is that myself and the two other people who I know who have Aspergers (and one was severe to say the least) TRY.  Every day we try to fit in.  We watch behaviors and we make an honest attempt in our lives.  I cannot say that we all succeed- but we all know better than to report child mutilation stories nightly with glee.  We have learned to either care what others say or to at least pretend that we do.  Make eye contact, smile at the jokes, be concerned with the problems and the ailments of others.  Remember what their family members are presently going through and inquire after them.

Frankly- George does not even make the attempt- ever.  Most people who have Aspergers have a higher than average IQ (possibly natures way of making up for causing emotional retardation.)  Again George fails the test.

I do not know what to tell you.  Continue to believe he is Aspergers if it makes you feel better that he is not similar to you (if giving him a classification that you do not fit into puts a smile on your face.)  I will have to continue to disagree with the diagnosis.

I'm really sorry WOTR - it seams  once again Roy has stuck his size 14 in his mouth.  I really did not mean to offend anyone here on the board.  I have run across this syndrome, and I honestly thought George has SOME of the symptoms and just intended to point that out.  I was using AS just as people who compare him to an autistic person.

I apolgize profusely if I came across as someone so cruel and shallow as to

"Continue to believe he is Aspergers if it makes you feel better that he is not similar to you (if giving him a classification that you do not fit into puts a smile on your face.) "

I did not mean to offend AS people.  I guess I still don't get the board sometimes.  I know we are all criticizing Noory to begin with, and some try to understand just what makes him tick.  In my opinion, he has some sort of borderline personality disorder.  It must not be AS, but I'm thinking there would be some way to describe him - not to make me feel better, just analyzing the man that brought down such a great show.

Once again, I only meant to critique our host, and I am truly sorry if I have made you feel bad.

Roy   :-[

mombird3

I got a Facebook post from a person who started a hate George Noory there by himself. He said that he woke up unable to sleep Tuesday night and got really angry with the way George was asking stupid questions.

There are many like me who reall hate the way this show is. And he wants George Fired too. He wrote the station letters and got no response.

But I hope that George Noory goes somewhere else.

WOTR

Sorry- the net is not the best means of communication.  I am not insulted in the least- I am amused and saying that we do not want him was really meant as a joke.  (Who DOES want to claim Noory??? though I think we are stuck admitting him as art of the human race.)  I do not know if he is autistic or not- but I honestly suspect that he is not (mostly because he shows no signs of making any attempt to improve- but it is conceivable that there would be individuals who decide to embrace who they are and make absolutely no attempt to fit in.)  It is not the first time that somebody has speculated about Noory and Aspergers and it really is funny.

I apologize that my post came across as snotty or that I was actually offended.  It was written in the spirit of the forum as a mix of truth (I really am on the spectrum) and light hearted joking that Noory sucks (I refuse to claim him as one of us and as such leave him among the population of you normal people.)  Looking back I see that how I ended that post was not right.  I had not thought that you would think I was insulted.  Looking at it from that perspective I do seem upset that and it seems like a bit of an attack on my part.  It was not meant as such.  It as only meant to reinforce the idea that anybody would feel better putting Georgie boy in a category that they were not a part of (hence, my forcing him back to the non-Asperger side of the fence.)  ;D

WOTR

Quote from: michio on May 22, 2013, 03:21:46 AM
Competent call screeners must be extremely difficult to find in this economy, too.
I would think that competent call screeners would be easy to find.  However, you are not just asking for any old call screener.  You are looking for one who wants to interact with George, whisper sweet nothings in his ear, work a crappy shift and probably be called at home to drive him to the hospital or airport at a moments notice.  Working for George would be unlike working for any other boss you can think of and I doubt they pay well enough for any competent screener to consider the position...

I am really surprised that Georgie boy has not thought of taking an intern on.  From what I read, it is almost the equivalent of modern slavery and he could blame any on air mistakes on his new intern.  Certainly some university broadcasting flunky must be willing to work for pennies and pour Noorys coffee.  Noory could blame the new intern for hanging up early on callers, accidentally dropping the guest, not arranging his cue cards in the proper order, not arranging the proper flight to get him to the taping of his internet podcast (I refuse to call it television or a broadcast) and any noise where he might pass gas on air.  Come on George!  I expect to hear you have a new intern named Carol by early next week.

Gay

For someone who finds space exciting, he doesn't put any between him or the women he creeps upon

valdez

Quote from: Morgus on May 23, 2013, 12:51:46 AM
I just sent George an email suggesting a remedy (I just made something up) for his fungus problem.  During the news segment he got squeamish reading a fungus story and later that hour someone called in about his "fungus problem" and he stated emphatically, "I don't have a fungus problem."  I figure if he gets more than ten emails about his fungus problem he'll open the show tommorrow claiming, again, that he doesn't have a fungus problem.  Anything to rattle his cage.  Leonard Miodinow was on to talk about the subliminal.  At the start of the interview George asked him to explain what subliminal meant, and, as we all know that fungus will make you forget things, George asked him to define it again later on in the show.  Sad, really.  George also said that Ancestry.com gives you access to hand written historical documents, "many of them from the past."  As oppose to the future.  You gotta pay more for that. 

Live Video Chat with George Noory 3/13/12
Fungus problem?

ericdxx

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on May 22, 2013, 11:11:31 PM

Quote from: WOTR on May 23, 2013, 12:21:11 AM

As somebody who lives my life somewhere on the spectrum, I have to disagree with your assessment.  We (and I realize that I am speaking for a large number of people...) do not want him any more than you do. natures way of making up for causing emotional retardation.)  Again George fails the test.

OHHHHH Shit! This just got real!

Ruteger

Snoorge repeatedly pronounced "fungi" as "fun-gee" last night. I don't think this is correct. You would think with a word like this, Snoorge would have looked into how to pronounce it. ::)

ericdxx

Good morning good evening. From the city of angles the gateway to the west

"Fun-gee", or "Fuhn-Gi/Foon-Gee" = Corn meal porridge.

Maybe he was hungry, or maybe he was just in Barbados.

ufogadfly

Quote from: MV on May 23, 2013, 12:22:19 AM

he's not a "radio guy" like art is.  this is one of the things that annoyed me about noory from the beginning in 2002.  he doesn't see radio as an art form the way people like art bell do.  he's just another brainless guy yapping into the collective unconscious and the fact that he's doing it through radio is merely incidental.  he'd be just as happy on the view.

Good observation, MV. As I've mentioned before, I think some of his faults stem from his background in TV. For example, in many interviews, you can use the same generic questions and then edit the responses into the finished piece. And TV news as well as TV in general doesn't often shoot for a higher intellectual level. This doesn't excuse but may explain some of his shortcomings.