• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

WOTR

Strangely enough, I actually have been enjoying the interview with the Vatican astronomer.  Could it be that while working above the pope some of the miracles that must float around the place rubbed off on him to allow Noory to improve his interview skills for an evening?  Georges suckage quotient down at least 25% for the evening.  Either my standards have fallen, I am still feeling a little sorry for him and his loss or the show improved for a couple of hours... 

I really had wanted to hear Hoagland stumble his way through a segment but was disappointed.

It was clear George wanted to make the Vatican astronomy show a 'classic'.., he got extra index card questions and even ditched the product placements before the thunder strike. But in spite of all that it actually turned into a very listenable show. Could have been better? Sure. But in the new era of C2C mediocrity it was actually a 'classic'

valdez

Quote from: ericdxx on December 14, 2011, 02:54:59 AM
Catholic astronomy weekly!
Quote from: Morgus on December 14, 2011, 02:21:33 AM
Tonight Noory seems to love that he finally has on an astronomer who believes in God and is a Catholic like him, a Jesuit priest who is a Vatican astronomer scientist...
Quote from: WOTR on December 14, 2011, 03:45:27 AM
... Either my standards have fallen, I am still feeling a little sorry for him and his loss or the show improved for a couple of hours... 

Jonathan Emord on the lovable TSA, then Vatican astronomer, Brother Guy Consolmagno, in what should have been an interesting interview.  The guy was at the Pope's summer home, so maybe George might ask about the layout, number of big screen TVs, what was in the fridge?  No.  George devolves into his usual space kick, with dumb, and idiotic questions.  When Consolmagno explained that there was no personal conflict with God and science, George asked, "will you always believe this?"  What?  How can anyone say they will always believe something?  And later George's big brain wonders, "if Gala-lee-o were alive today, would the church still go after him?"  Huh?  For what?  Being very old?  It's five hundred years later, George, and we all know the Earth is not the center of the universe, and the Church has kind of changed, and it ain't pronounced "Gala-lee-o," it's "Gala-lay-o."  Jeez.  Consolmagno also admited he was one of the goons who took away Pluto's planetary status.  Yeah, he had a fancy explanation for it, but I ain't listening.

Galileo

oracle

I'm surprised there isn't more love for the Guy Consolmagno show... Guy managed to give damn near brilliant and subtle answers to nearly all of George's stupid questions, even if he had to just ignore the question and say something else. I think some of you are jumping to conclusions because he's a Vatican dude, but his religious beliefs sounded intelligent and deistic to me and he did an excellent job of succinctly explaining scientific and philosophical concepts.

He also called George out a few times when George steamrolled ahead with "That's right" or "mmHMM" to a question that he probably didn't know the answer to.

A few exchanges:

[Guy asks some scientific question that I forget]

George: "Yes, I am familiar with that."

Guy: (said incredulously) "Really?! You really know about that?!"

[Guy states some philosophical statement that is false; paradoxical, impossible]

George: "That's right." (said quickly)

Guy: Err... (makes grunting noise)... the point is... the point is, its not true.

And then the Hermione story where George obviously has no clue who this "Hermione" character is.

There are definitely some gems here, and I really thought Guy was brilliant. Worth a listen, ladies and gents.

WOTR

Quote from: oracle on December 14, 2011, 01:26:32 PM
I'm surprised there isn't more love for the Guy Consolmagno show... Guy managed to give damn near brilliant and subtle answers to nearly all of George's stupid questions, even if he had to just ignore the question and say something else. I think some of you are jumping to conclusions because he's a Vatican dude, but his religious beliefs sounded intelligent and deistic to me and he did an excellent job of succinctly explaining scientific and philosophical concepts.
With the Galileo question, Guy actually went on to provide a lengthy, well thought out answer to it.  He didn't excuse the church, but did add a fair amount of information to well known (very short) narrative that the church prosecuted a man for science.  I found George to be better than usual (he seemed to actually enjoy the interview and put some effort into it.)  Guy was able to take a caller who believes that we are all basically computers and not make the fellow look insane.  He even went on to agree that computers have given us all a new way to look at things and used computers to tie into and example of how he thinks about the soul. 

Also, after George gave a personal theory of his concerning spirituality, Guy basically said that is an overly simple way of looking at it.  I love when a guest can say to the host that he needs to think deeper and harder without the host catching on that he basically just said that your theory only works until kindergarten; after that you need to think deeper.

Morgus

Quote from: oracle on December 14, 2011, 01:26:32 PMHe also called George out a few times when George steamrolled ahead with "That's right" or "mmHMM" to a question that he probably didn't know the answer to.
especially amusing was when the brother asked Noory if he knew what an electron is.
he thought it was like a ball with a minus sign on it...  ;D

beachcomber

Brother Guy the Jesuit: "Do you know what an electron is?"
Noory: "Yes"...
Guy went on to say that the notion of electrons as little silver balls was an image given that children could understand and kindly added, "we are all children".
Noory asked the question that has plagued him all his life, "Why?"
Guy said he was a scientist not a philosopher, and used the analogy of being given a gift by a friend - you can answer the question, "What is it?"  by opening the gift, then you know what it is for all time. But, "You'll never know why your friend liked you enough to give you the gift".
For all of Guy's patient explanations, gentle attempts at keeping the interview on track, and hopeful efforts of getting George off the dime, one thing's certain: Noory will again demand to know the reason for existence, continue to ask guests unanswerable questions to make him look deeper than he is, I suppose,  and time will tell if other guests will handle his childish bullying as well.

Nebraska888

If I hear George N. respond ONE MORE TIME WITH:  "HOW TRUE"....."ABSOLUTELY"......"VERY TRUE"......"ABSOLUTELY TRUE"......or......has no clue how to offer an intelligent followup question.....I AM GOING TO SCREAM!

Nebraska888

I wonder how long Tom, Lisa, Shawn, etc...etc....can stand "covering" for Noory's ineptitude?  Last night, while interviewing the Jesuit Astronomer from the Vatican, he said at least....AT LEAST.....20 sentences that made NO SENSE!

The most idiotic question was:  "After all of your studies, what do you find most perplexing about the universe?"  OK, George......the man had made it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR THAT THE MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE ARE ALL ALL ALL PERPLEXING!  So, why....WHY....would you reiterate a question that had been previously addressed in a multitude of statements and responses?

michio

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 14, 2011, 11:06:11 PM
If I hear George N. respond ONE MORE TIME WITH:  "HOW TRUE"....."ABSOLUTELY"......"VERY TRUE"......"ABSOLUTELY TRUE"......or......has no clue how to offer an intelligent followup question.....I AM GOING TO SCREAM!

"That's a good point."  ;)

michio

Quote from: valdez on December 14, 2011, 06:55:48 AM

When Consolmagno explained that there was no personal conflict with God and science, George asked, "will you always believe this?"  What?  How can anyone say they will always believe something?  And later George's big brain wonders, "if Gala-lee-o were alive today, would the church still go after him?"  Huh?  For what?  Being very old?  It's five hundred years later, George, and we all know the Earth is not the center of the universe, and the Church has kind of changed, and it ain't pronounced "Gala-lee-o," it's "Gala-lay-o."  Jeez.

Bro Guy was cool. Even though I'm not into his religious stuff I share his zeal for astronomy. I think he has an asteroid or two named after him.

George must have forgotten that the Pope pardoned Galileo in 1992, so it's doubtful they'd send out the Catholic Mafia to make him capiche.  The church was busy for a few hundred years and it took almost 360 of them to get around to agreeing that Galileo was incredibly spot on for his time and equipment. Don't rush them.

Speaking of godly things, there are people who have called George a god, take that woman from a couple of nights ago. (She used to be involved in Wall Street but now she's into astrological predictions and digging up luck for people who might have lost their shirts in Wall Street.)  However, instead of George possessing a higher-vibrational multi-volume encyclopedic knowledge of a god, George is more like a short story of uneducated opinions that's he always happy to share.  Either way I'm not opening the door to buy anything of what he has to sell.

Morgus

Another ass-kissing guest tonight on c2c, Noory mentioned earlier tonight he appeared on the guest's own local paranormal radio show.
The guest then told Noory on the air that he was one of the "all time greats on radio" - yuck...  :o

Morgus

Longtime frequent and annoying caller Bill from West Hartford, Conn got on again in the first hour tonight.
Of course Bill mentioned a dozen times that he is an atheist and he was looking for an atheist young girlfriend.
He admitted he was a nerd and never had any friends going back to high school (he is over 60 now) and that recently he tried to use facebook to find a young athiest girlfriend in his local area that might have heard him call many times on c2c.

But his attempt backfired since Bill foolishly posted his home phone number on the facebook page, hoping some young atheist girl would call him.  :P
Instead all he got was repeated calls from fundamentalists bothering him and trying to convert him from his atheist ways...  ;D

valdez

Quote from: Morgus on December 15, 2011, 01:52:17 AM
Longtime frequent and annoying caller Bill from West Hartford, Conn got on again in the first hour tonight...

That "Bill" guy is coming across freakier and freakier.  I'd say he may be a psycho on the verge of doing something really scary to garner himself some more attention.  I liked Dave Schrader.  If he has a show it might be ok.  He spoke with intelligence and passion about things paranormal without going overboard.  George...well...George was George, who, during his segment with David Kirkpatrick, talking about Facebook and such, said this about smartphones:  "it's really pushed us to the brink of ...intelligence."  Yeah.  Way to go, George.  Behemoth of the mind.

Frys Girl

Bill from West Hartford, Conn on the line is like a drive by. I am really disturbed by him. He may be autistic though, so I wont judge.

b_dubb

stop listening to the show if you don't like it. I know Coast has. Ecome the Mel's Diner of radio but that doesn't mean you have to go inside and order the meatloaf

Gassy Man

Quote from: b_dubb on December 15, 2011, 10:25:27 AM
stop listening to the show if you don't like it. I know Coast has. Ecome the Mel's Diner of radio but that doesn't mean you have to go inside and order the meatloaf
Or we can discuss how bad the show sucks while boycotting the dopey sponsors and warning the innocent of the show's suckitude -- there are many options in this grand and benevolent universe.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Frys Girl on December 15, 2011, 06:36:16 AM
Bill from West Hartford, Conn on the line is like a drive by. I am really disturbed by him. He may be autistic though, so I wont judge.
Really, this gives a new show dimension.  The Coast to Coast Facebook page could be turned into a dating service.  Cat Lady from L.A. meets Bill from Hartford.  No more lonely nights for the cat women and Bill. . well he probably has a ring tone on his SmartPhone that would alert him when to call in on open lines.  Imagine a romantic dinner, Cat Lady and Bill out in the moonlight looking at UFO's, then just as they begin to draw closer, the pounding intro of Coast begins.  Bill's ring tone tells him it is time to call in and talk to George to keep his place in line.  The embrace is broken and so is the romance between Cat Lady and Bill.  Still, he gets to talk to George, so all is not lost. 

Frys Girl

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on December 15, 2011, 02:23:06 PM
Really, this gives a new show dimension.  The Coast to Coast Facebook page could be turned into a dating service.  Cat Lady from L.A. meets Bill from Hartford.  No more lonely nights for the cat women and Bill. . well he probably has a ring tone on his SmartPhone that would alert him when to call in on open lines.  Imagine a romantic dinner, Cat Lady and Bill out in the moonlight looking at UFO's, then just as they begin to draw closer, the pounding intro of Coast begins.  Bill's ring tone tells him it is time to call in and talk to George to keep his place in line.  The embrace is broken and so is the romance between Cat Lady and Bill.  Still, he gets to talk to George, so all is not lost.
Bill is an atheist. Most of these cat ladies are bible thumpers and new agers. I don't know if that would go down with Bill. For someone as freaky as he seems, he is pretty picky.

Morgus

Quote from: Frys Girl on December 15, 2011, 02:41:14 PM
Bill is an atheist. Most of these cat ladies are bible thumpers and new agers. I don't know if that would go down with Bill. For someone as freaky as he seems, he is pretty picky.
yeah Bill said he was looking for an atheist girlfriend, but instead only got calls from fundamentalists.
he is too picky considering he hasn't had a date in his whole life at age 60...
Bill did also mention he is OCD too.  No wonder he always repeats the same things on the air so often...  8)

Frys Girl

Quote from: Morgus on December 15, 2011, 03:13:36 PM
yeah Bill said he was looking for an atheist girlfriend, but instead only got calls from fundamentalists.
he is too picky considering he hasn't had a date in his whole life at age 60...
Bill did also mention he is OCD too.  No wonder he always repeats the same things on the air so often...  8)
Lol male fundamentalists!! Not even crazy female ones. Poor guy. As odd as he is, he deserves a companion, especially if he is all those things he claims "nice, warm, considerate."

CoastCanuck

Quote from: Morgus on December 15, 2011, 01:52:17 AM
Longtime frequent and annoying caller Bill from West Hartford, Conn got on again in the first hour tonight.
The call screeners should have a rule as to the frequency of ANY caller.  Some people have tried for years to get on without success, while others are selfish and get on too much.

Morgus

Quote from: CoastCanuck on December 15, 2011, 06:45:34 PM
The call screeners should have a rule as to the frequency of ANY caller.  Some people have tried for years to get on without success, while others are selfish and get on too much.
noory has mentioned a only one call per month rule at times, but that doesn't seem to be enforced very well with callers like Bill getting on sometimes more than once a week even.

I like Dave Schrader on his own show, Darkness Radio, which you can get on iTunes. Hearing him suck up to the Snoor last night was so sad.

Sardondi

I was listening to one of George's shows from 4-5 years ago the other day, and I actually got embarrassed for him when once again he asked the same question for the third time...and the guest had already spent several minutes very thoroughly discussing the very issue before George had even asked the first time.

I don't think George has ever had a 2-hour or more guest that he has not done this to. Most of the guests are polite enough not to mention George's incompetence and explain it again, except they go very slowly and use small words, as if they're talking to a child...which in essence they are.

George's habit of not listening inspired me to come up with a new drinking game called "Simple George" in honor of all those who choose (or, like George, who have no choice) to go "full retard".

The object of the game is to be able to walk a straight line at the end. The game has as many rounds of drinking as the number of qualifying events, set forth below. The game begins with the beginning of the show.
1. Each time George asks a question which a guest has already essentially discussed or answered, each player must shout "Simple George!", and, within 1 minute of the event, down a shot of at least 80-proof liquor AND a 12-oz beer (in mixed games women may drink "light" beer, but men must drink standard 5% beer, or beer with whatever % alcohol is standard in the jurisdiction in which the game is being played). Failure to finish either shot or beer within the time allotted is a disqualifying event.

2. Each time George uses the term "very special program" or "very special guest", each player must shout "Simple George!", and must down a shot and a beer within 1 minute.

3. Each time George refers to his aunt, Dr. Shafica Karagulla, each player must shout "Simple George!", and must down a shot within 1 minute.

4. Each time that George refers to the fact that Dr. Stanton Friedman was his "very first radio interview", each player must shout "Simple George!", and must down a beer within 1 minute.

5. Each time George says "Of course you know I think there are no such things as coincidences", each player must shout "Simple George!", and must down 2 shots in 1 minute. (Vomiting at this point is a disqualifying event.)

6. Each time George says "Man, the time has just flown by tonight!", each player must shout "Simple George!", and must drink 2 beers within 1 minute. (Vomiting at this point is a disqualifying event.)

7. As Cusco's "Inca Dance" is played each player must in turn walk a straight line on a laid out course of at least 20 feet. Straightest walker and least inebriated appearing player, as determined by the players themselves, is the winner.

It's a simple game, in keeping with a very simple man. Of course it should be noted that there are nights on which George's performance is so dismal that players of this game could drink something like a dozen shots of liquor and as many beers. This could pose a problem with alcohol poisoning, vehicular homicide or unanticipated sexual partners, so use caution...like making sure you lay down a good base of carbos before playing - mashed potatoes seems to work well. If you play don't let anyone ride home with you: you don't want any eyewitnesses to what you might run over on your Toad's Wild Ride home. Finally, be thoughtful and carry some trashbags to catch that pesky projectile vomiting that sometimes sneaks up on players in the last hour of the show. After all, you don't want anyone to think you're a "Simple George", do you?

seven7

George just said "what if there's an mp3 pulse attack?"

Morgus

Quote from: seven7 on December 16, 2011, 01:54:26 AM
no problem, just turn down the volume on your iPod.  ;D

The General

Oh crap!  If Owl Qaeda could knock out all of our MP3's, we'd be DOOMED!

punkinpie

I'm sad that I'm not listening tonight.  I cannot wait to hear the conversation leading up to a question like that.

Morgus

Noory near the end of the show tonight commented on his upcoming schedule.
He is taking tomorrow off and John B. Wells fills in as guest host Friday night.
Noory then takes his usual week off between Christmas and New Years, plus a couple more days off in January.
So we get a 3 day Noory-free weekend now...