• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

Quote from: b_dubb on February 25, 2015, 12:07:36 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Cleland

What the Republishits did to Max Cleland was disgusting and unforgivable.

Nonsense. Cleland is a politician. He was in a tight race with Chamblis in 2002 and his voting record was called into question at a time when Bush was very popular and the nation wanted blood after the 9/11 attacks. NOBODY ever once questioned Cleland`s patriotism or sacrifice to this country.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 25, 2015, 12:21:19 PM
Rethuglican claims of "War on Coal" which is estimated to shorten the lives of 24,000 Americans a year...

This post reminds me of the geezer I was sitting next to in a coffee shop in Berkeley.  His opening line was that I was 'addicted to oil'.

'So you don't have a car', I asked.  'No', he replied proudly, 'I live in the neighborhood and walk.  Everything I need is right here'

'How does your food get here?' I asked.  'Do you buy clothes, soap, toothpaste, books - is that all made within walking distance?  How does it get here?  I think you may also be addicted to oil".  He muttered something about electric cars, and as he was walking away to bother someone else, I asked if he ever went out for dinner

It's a shame some of us are still electing these people to office

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 25, 2015, 12:39:49 PM
Nonsense. Cleland is a politician. He was in a tight race with Chamblis in 2002 and his voting record was called into question at a time when Bush was very popular and the nation wanted blood after the 9/11 attacks. NOBODY ever once questioned Cleland`s patriotism or sacrifice to this country.

Although I do recall Big Media and the Democrats questioning war hero John McCain's qualifications to be President due to his birth in the Panama Canal Zone (a US possession at the time) when his father was on active duty. 

While at the same time candidate Obama was not prepared to offer proof of his own qualifications for the office (and still hasn't) - which was ignored and suppressed by those questioning McCain.

136 or 142

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 25, 2015, 12:26:58 PM
I am perfectly willing to shut down coal completely, with the one condition that enough Libs disconnect themselves from the grid to make up for the loss of energy

How about all those cities in the Northeast with large 'Liberal' majorities - slurping up energy to run their furnaces in the winter and A/C in the summer.  That should all go, before criticizing the rest of us.

Actually, simply disconnecting Al Gore's house and grounding his plane would put a good sized dent in our national energy consumption

The use of coal as a source of energy in the U.S has declined by 25% over the past decade.  If the U.S was serious about it, they could probably stop using coal entirely in 20 or so years.

You claimed that Rethuglicans don't support air pollution and I provided the most obvious example to show otherwise.

Once the externalities are taken into account, not just the premature deaths but the asthma and other puiminary diseases made worse by coal as well as the direct loss to the economy caused by the pollution from coal (killing fish, trees...), coal is actually one of the most expensive uses of energy.

I can't find any polling on it, but I would guess that due to the high cost of the externalities the vast majority of economists on both the left and the right would favor phasing out the use of coal.

Anyway, why are you defending the Rethuglican Party?  Isn't every second of your posts about how you aren't a Rethuglican?

136 or 142

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 25, 2015, 12:52:59 PM
Although I do recall Big Media and the Democrats questioning war hero John McCain's qualifications to be President due to his birth in the Panama Canal Zone (a US possession at the time) when his father was on active duty. 

While at the same time candidate Obama was not prepared to offer proof of his own qualifications for the office (and still hasn't) - which was ignored and suppressed by those questioning McCain.

Are you really this stupid?  (I already know the answer is YES) You forget Orly Taitz? (I know everybody should but anyway). 

While nobody appeared on Coast to Coast questioning McCain's qualifications to run, Taitz received one or two hours.

136 or 142

Quote from: albrecht on February 25, 2015, 12:31:35 PM
I'm sure people would love not having electric power during these latest "global warming" temperatures and snow storms. Not having electricity would certainly help people out :o. I'm all for phasing coal out when a cheaper (natural gas) alternative comes online but it is not the President's job to kill coal simply to get back at people who didn't vote for him or because of some grudge he has against white people or the country.

As I said above, coal is extremely expensive when externalities are taken into account.

So, Benghazi was a horrible situation, but the 'premature deaths' of 24,000 Americans is ok as long as I don't have to directly pay more?

Yes, more from the party with 'a culture of life'.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 25, 2015, 12:52:59 PM

Karl Rove did that when he was running against Bush in the party primary.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 25, 2015, 12:59:12 PM
... You claimed that Rethuglicans don't support air pollution and I provided the most obvious example to show otherwise

... Anyway, why are you defending the Rethuglican Party?  Isn't every second of your posts about how you aren't a Rethuglican?

I pointed out some of us understand until we are have the capacity to utilize renewable energy for 100% of our needs, there is going to be some pollution when we use fossil fuels.  Others of us happily use that same energy, then point at the R's and the energy producers as the ones responsible for all pollution. 

It's called ignorance on the part of some, hypocrisy on the part of others.

I defend anyone pushing policies I agree with.  Hooray for those providing energy.  Hooray for those working on developing renewable energy.  Regardless of party.

136 or 142

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 25, 2015, 06:01:00 PM
I pointed out some of us understand until we are have the capacity to utilize renewable energy for 100% of our needs, there is going to be some pollution when we use fossil fuels.  Others of us happily use that same energy, then point at the R's and the energy producers as the ones responsible for all pollution. 

It's called ignorance on the part of some, hypocrisy on the part of others.

I don't disagree that coal has to be used for the next 20 or so years, although in steadily diminishing amounts.
However
1.The full price of coal, including externalities, should be charged to people using it whether through carbon pricing or an environmental tax.
2.There should be a "Manhattan project" by both government and private industry to lead to a future economy using largely non polluting sources (at least up to the equimarginal point) whether it's oil using carbon capture and sequestration, nuclear energy or any of of the numerous types of renewables.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 25, 2015, 01:01:12 PM
Are you really this stupid?  (I already know the answer is YES) You forget Orly Taitz? (I know everybody should but anyway). 

While nobody appeared on Coast to Coast questioning McCain's qualifications to run, Taitz received one or two hours.

Let me know when Obama presents an original long form birth certificate that wasn't produced on word processing software not yet invented when he was born.  Bonus points if it has a number sequential to the numbers on the birth certificates of the other babies born that week in that hospital.

If his current claims on where he was born are accurate, why not just produce the damn thing?  He's spitting in the face of the entire nation and telling all of us to fuck off, not just Republicans, not just Conservatives. 

Orly Taitz and others - they've been denied standing by judges, they've been told their case makes no sense by judges, they've had their cases dismissed because the judges basically didn't want to hear them, they've had their cases dismissed without comment, they've been told they are 'unethical', 'reprehensible', 'unprofessional', on and on. 

Everything other than reviewing any evidence she may have.

I personally think we are owed access to all the documents every other president in the modern era has provided.  What is it that he's hiding?

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 25, 2015, 06:21:58 PM
I don't disagree that coal has to be used for the next 20 or so years, although in steadily diminishing amounts.
However
1.The full price of coal, including externalities, should be charged to people using it whether through carbon pricing or an environmental tax.
2.There should be a "Manhattan project" by both government and private industry to lead to a future economy using largely non polluting sources (at least up to the equimarginal point) whether it's oil using carbon capture and sequestration, nuclear energy or any of of the numerous types of renewables.

Then we are more or less on the same page after all

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 25, 2015, 06:22:33 PM
Let me know when Obama presents an original long form birth certificate that wasn't produced on word processing software not yet invented when he was born.  Bonus points if it has a number sequential to the numbers on the birth certificates of the other babies born that week in that hospital.

He won't and he can't

Orly Taitz and others - they've been denied standing by judges, they've been told their case makes no sense by judges, they've had their cases dismissed because the judges basically didn't want to hear them, they've had their cases dismissed without comment, they've been told they are 'unethical', 'reprehensible', 'unprofessional', on and on. 

Everything other than reviewing any evidence she may have.

So you're convinced there's nothing there based on that?  I wouldn't say you're stupid, exactly, how about uncurious and easily persuaded by the Lib Media?
And that odd bit about the social security number. I also want to see the legal court filings over his adoption and name change(s) in addition to a real certificate of birth that complies with the The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents ("apostille convention.") He likes internationalism and global government so he should just comply considering the US is a signatory.

albrecht

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 25, 2015, 06:21:58 PM
However
I agree with you, mostly, on this. There also needs to be some type of program, or at least acknowledgement, of providing jobs to those displaced by the newer technology when we go from things like coal to sources that need far less labor. One of the reasons coal still is used so often isn't because it is often cheap but provide a lot of jobs (especially in underdeveloped countries but even here.)

Also there needs to be a lot of oversight of PPPs because sometimes this combination of private interests and government brings out the worst in both and finger-pointing is easy and money disappears into pockets. Pipedream but if the darn waste and safety wasn't an issue and we didn't have terrorists I would say more nuclear is the way to go, even some of these smaller generators. I also think, call me crazy, that the idea talked about by the loon LaRouche has some merit: going to more hydro. We have areas with too much water and other places with awful drought. Why not canals etc and more generation of electricity from water. It is clean. Just using gravity, basically.

136 or 142

Quote from: albrecht on February 25, 2015, 06:44:19 PM
I agree with you, mostly, on this. There also needs to be some type of program, or at least acknowledgement, of providing jobs to those displaced by the newer technology when we go from things like coal to sources that need far less labor. One of the reasons coal still is used so often isn't because it is often cheap but provide a lot of jobs (especially in underdeveloped countries but even here.)

Also there needs to be a lot of oversight of PPPs because sometimes this combination of private interests and government brings out the worst in both and finger-pointing is easy and money disappears into pockets. Pipedream but if the darn waste and safety wasn't an issue and we didn't have terrorists I would say more nuclear is the way to go, even some of these smaller generators. I also think, call me crazy, that the idea talked about by the loon LaRouche has some merit: going to more hydro. We have areas with too much water and other places with awful drought. Why not canals etc and more generation of electricity from water. It is clean. Just using gravity, basically.

1.Here in British Columbia we get most of our energy from hydro power.  It is very cheap once it's built, but it's very expensive to build in the first place.

2.On nuclear, I agree with the terror problem.  Regarding the waste, I believe that modern nuclear energy plants, which are more or less banned from being built in the  U.S, reuses the waste over and over.  So, assuming I'm right on that, that problem is solved.

albrecht

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2015/02/21/ban-armor-piercing-bullets/23816437/
Obama's minions are set to claim that popular, and relatively cheap, ammo is "armor piercing" so they can ban them. They already banned import of certain rounds I seem to recall by executive agency fiat.

So another Obama stimulus for the gun industry; at least for the short-term until his ban goes into effect without, of course, any votes on the matter. There is a way you can, supposedly, offer input but I would suggest that you ensure your finances are in order if you "offer input" against Obama's decree as the administration seems to like to use the IRS as one of their vehicles to target opposition.

• ATF website: APAComments@atf.gov
• Fax: 202- 648-9741.
• Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N -602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments

onan

I don't have a problem with banning armor piercing ammunition. I hunt. I sometimes hunt with a Sig516. No game that I have hunted has ever had armor... though I swear they did set a trip wire on me one time.

Conventional rounds will still be available. Military surplus ammunition is subsidized hunting. We all pay taxes that pay for bullets. Excess ammunition resold at a cheap price costs the taxpayer. I would think that would count as being responsible to the taxpayer.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 25, 2015, 06:52:45 PM
Regarding the waste, I believe that modern nuclear energy plants, which are more or less banned from being built in the  U.S, reuses the waste over and over.
Commercial plants store their used fuel on-site.  I don't think any actually reprocess it. Some are way past their planned capacity.  The use of the completed waste disposal facility in NV has been stupidly blocked for years by Dems caving to the enviro groups.  One of the few positives of the conservatives taking the Senate should be opening the site for use; if they ever get around.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on February 26, 2015, 12:11:38 PM
I don't have a problem with banning armor piercing ammunition. I hunt. I sometimes hunt with a Sig516. No game that I have hunted has ever had armor... though I swear they did set a trip wire on me one time.

Conventional rounds will still be available. Military surplus ammunition is subsidized hunting. We all pay taxes that pay for bullets. Excess ammunition resold at a cheap price costs the taxpayer. I would think that would count as being responsible to the taxpayer.
Most of the surplus is not coming from our military so it doesn't effect our taxpayers in that way and you still pay taxes on the surplus ammo when you buy it. Sure you don't hunt with this type of ammo but used for plinking or for coyotes. Or defending your property from cartels if you live near the open-border. My problem with it is the reasoning is disingenuous and nobody gets to vote on the ban. And using their logic almost all rifle rounds are "armor piercing" so that will likely be next on their list....if they don't use the "toxic lead" reasoning for bans.

136 or 142

Quote from: VtaGeezer on February 26, 2015, 12:32:18 PM
Commercial plants store their used fuel on-site.  I don't think any actually reprocess it. Some are way past their planned capacity.  The use of the completed waste disposal facility in NV has been stupidly blocked for years by Dems caving to the enviro groups.  One of the few positives of the conservatives taking the Senate should be opening the site for use; if they ever get around.

Ok, the power plants don't reuse the spent fuel themselves, but it is getting increasingly recycled in European countries.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Fuel-Recycling/Processing-of-Used-Nuclear-Fuel/

albrecht

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 26, 2015, 06:56:48 PM
Ok, the power plants don't reuse the spent fuel themselves, but it is getting increasingly recycled in European countries.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Fuel-Recycling/Processing-of-Used-Nuclear-Fuel/
And lest we forget they use depleted uranium for bullets and armor (though is waste from the enriching process not the left overs from the plant.) I thought I also heard of the safety and smaller sizes in more modern designs that also use a less volatile process?
And then there are the latest ideas and developments:
http://gizmodo.com/an-odd-hypothesis-about-bubbles-could-finally-lead-to-n-1681767423
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/12/275896094/scientists-say-their-giant-laser-has-produced-nuclear-fusion

Yorkshire pud

Congressman pays back 'Downton Abbey' decor costs - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31676772

What I think is more controversial, how can a decorator come up with $40000 for one office? And how can anyone be stupid enough to believe that is good value?

Avi

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on March 01, 2015, 01:06:48 AM
What I think is more controversial, how can a decorator come up with $40000 for one office? And how can anyone be stupid enough to believe that is good value?

It's a conspiracy, right? Designed to get us all to believe that $40000 offices are common-place, and that we are lacking. Suddenly, I am overcome with the urge, nay need, to buy office furniture. Yes! It's old furniture money behind the production of Downtown Abbey!

Kelt

Quote from: albrecht on February 26, 2015, 07:15:08 PM
And lest we forget they use depleted uranium for bullets and armor (though is waste from the enriching process not the left overs from the plant.) I thought I also heard of the safety and smaller sizes in more modern designs that also use a less volatile process?
And then there are the latest ideas and developments:
http://gizmodo.com/an-odd-hypothesis-about-bubbles-could-finally-lead-to-n-1681767423
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/12/275896094/scientists-say-their-giant-laser-has-produced-nuclear-fusion

It would be hilarious to see Obama win another unwarranted Nobel Prize in the year some dude... or chick... cracks Fusion (to use an oxymoron).  The team of scientists standing in the wings Nobel-less, as Obama picks up another Nobel just for not being George Bush.

It could be the greatest Troll in the history of lulz.

Gd5150

Quote from: Kelt on March 01, 2015, 02:44:04 PM
Obama picks up another Nobel just for not being George Bush being brown.

Fixed it.

Kelt

Quote from: Gd5150 on March 02, 2015, 03:34:08 PM
Fixed it.

You didn't... you fucked it.

Any subsequent President outside of Adolph Hitler, and even then maybe, would have been thrown a Nobel after the Texas Twat was bumped.

Eddie Coyle

CAIR is a Civil Rights Organization much like NAMBLA is a Child's Advocacy group.

onan

136 or 142

Quote from: onan on March 06, 2015, 07:24:51 PM
*sigh*
North Carolina Legalizes Call Girls For Politicians
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/02/27/gifts-for-politicians/

Is that serious or is the site like The Onion?

paladin1991

Quote from: onan on March 06, 2015, 07:24:51 PM
*sigh*
North Carolina Legalizes Call Girls For Politicians
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/02/27/gifts-for-politicians/
Well, it's not like they haven't been charging them to their office account for decades anyway.  Now they can legally declare their screwing of the girls and the citizens.