• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

Quote from: 136 or 142 on January 20, 2015, 05:32:05 PM
1.How can self-interest ever be anything but greedy and corrupt (maybe not the self-interested party, but to everyone else)?...

Well, first of all, because most people have ethics, and play by the rules.

But beyond that, Adam Smith explained it quite accurately - a baker working in his own self interest ultimately provides bread for others, and they benefit by that (if they don't see it as a benefit, they don't buy the bread).  Same thing applies to everyone else providing goods and services. 

How is any of that 'greedy and corrupt'? 

Stealing (taxing) from someone, and giving it to someone else in order to buy votes - there's your greed and corruption.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on January 20, 2015, 05:32:05 PM
... This is the other fallacy of conservatism.  This idea of the "invisible-hand" guided by the flow of consumers voting via capital. 

Adam Smith's theory was the people would act in 'Enlightened self interest'.  While there is no question that this has failed many times, recent examples such as Uber and other things in the 'sharing economy' as well as many previous examples in history show that Smith was on to something. To paraphrase Churchill, capitalism is the worst economic system, except for all the others...

Well, you've stumbled onto the truth.  Sort of.

How can you correctly point out Capitalism 'is the worst economic system, except for all the others' , and also say it's a 'fallacy of conservatism' in the same post? 

You don't think Conservatives also realize Capitalism isn't perfect?

136 or 142

Well, you've stumbled onto the truth.  Sort of.

How can you correctly point out Capitalism 'is the worst economic system, except for all the others' , and also say it's a 'fallacy of conservatism' in the same post? 

You don't think Conservatives also realize Capitalism isn't perfect?

The first part was a quote from the original post.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: 136 or 142 on January 21, 2015, 12:01:50 AM
The first part was a quote from the original post.

Took me awhile to learn (thanks wr250 for the lesson), but if you want to quote another gabber (in this instance, me)  you need to bracket the statements thusly:

[qwote]  (left bracket, the word "quote", and right bracket; ignore my misspelling of "quote") in front of the body of text you wish to quote and

[/qwote]  at the end of the body of text (again left bracket, add backslash, the word "quote", then right bracket. Ignore my misspelling of "quote").  You do this for everything to which you wish to reply, whether it's a sentence, a sentence fragment, paragraph, or entire message.

Hope this is helpful not just to you but to others who would like to jump in.  No, really, the water's fine.

Kelt

Capitalism is a pretty piss poor socio-economic system.  The fact that 1% of the population owns as much as the other 99% is shameful, when you now consider that 50 million Americans are below or close to the poverty line.

There needs to be a balance.

I've nothing against personal wealth, but I'm against the kind of disparity that currently exists.

Lunger

Quote from: Kelt on January 21, 2015, 09:36:31 PM
Capitalism is a pretty piss poor socio-economic system.  The fact that 1% of the population owns as much as the other 99% is shameful, when you now consider that 50 million Americans are below or close to the poverty line.

There needs to be a balance.

I've nothing against personal wealth, but I'm against the kind of disparity that currently exists.

We aren't living Capitalism, we are suffering through Crony Capitalism thanks to our elected officials.

Yorkshire pud

It's what happens when stupid people are allowed dangerous things. Fortunately no-one important was hurt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31082294

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 01, 2015, 10:56:31 AM
It's what happens when stupid people are allowed dangerous things. Fortunately no-one important was hurt.

1) why is this politics?
2) why is some random accidental shooting making news in the UK? (No agendas, of course.)
3) why didn't this idiot make my news? http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-31080232
There are stupid people everywhere and no one died by the idiots in New Mexico letting a 3 year old access a gun. And the cost for the coast guard, search and rescue vessels, etc is far more by this idiot. But there is no agenda and that is not politics.

VtaGeezer

Small price to pay for liberty!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on February 01, 2015, 11:15:43 AM
1) why is this politics?
2) why is some random accidental shooting making news in the UK? (No agendas, of course.)
3) why didn't this idiot make my news? http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-31080232
There are stupid people everywhere and no one died by the idiots in New Mexico letting a 3 year old access a gun. And the cost for the coast guard, search and rescue vessels, etc is far more by this idiot. But there is no agenda and that is not politics.

You crack me up. Seriously.

b_dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 01, 2015, 10:56:31 AM

This is the kind of crazy shit that makes me want to leave the U.S. I don't want to die because some gun nut couldn't be bothered with gun safety. That kids parents should go to jail.

There was a story about a two year old that shot and killed his mother in a Walmart when he reached inside her purse and nudged her handgun.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: b_dubb on February 01, 2015, 02:21:28 PM
This is the kind of crazy shit that makes me want to leave the U.S. I don't want to die because some gun nut couldn't be bothered with gun safety. That kids parents should go to jail.

There was a story about a two year old that shot and killed his mother in a Walmart when he reached inside her purse and nudged her handgun.
This year, US gun deaths will surpass US highway deaths.  But it's all worth it; especially if you're one of the well-connected owners of Cerberus Capital.

albrecht

Quote from: b_dubb on February 01, 2015, 02:21:28 PM

While is definitely harder under the recent administrations to give up your US citizenship there is nothing preventing you to moving to another country (the IRS, alas, will still require you to report your foreign assets, (FBAR), and pay US income tax even if you live, work, and/or invest abroad.) But you can leave. If you are able to actually give up your citizenship (and then no longer be subject to the onerous IRS rules you will face a type of capital control and have to pay the Expatriation Tax (Internal Revenue Code (IRC) sections 877 and 877A.)

But being able to leave, or own a gun, or post on the internet, are a few of the nice things about freedom, at least the bit we have left. If you don't like it anyone (barring some criminal indictment or government "watch-list") can leave. (Oddly, people are still flooding across our border illegally or visiting US consulates abroad seeking asylum or desiring to emigrate here- so the US can't be THAT bad.) But you can leave.

Gallup says 'official' unemployment rate of 5.6% is a big lie, or at best, extremely misleading (their words)

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/chairman/181469/big-lie-unemployment.aspx

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 03, 2015, 11:52:31 AM
Gallup says 'official' unemployment rate of 5.6% is a big lie, or at best, extremely misleading (their words)

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/chairman/181469/big-lie-unemployment.aspx
The Great Recession of 2008, instigated by the conservatives, was also useful to them as cover for the destruction of US manufacturing by their patrons like the Waltons, Menear, and others who've shipped millions of US jobs and capital to Asia.  Have you prayed to Dave and Chuck yet today?

Quote from: VtaGeezer on February 03, 2015, 12:06:30 PM
The Great Recession of 2008, instigated by the conservatives, was also useful to them as cover for the destruction of US manufacturing by their patrons like the Waltons, Menear, and others who've shipped millions of US jobs and capital to Asia.  Have you prayed to Dave and Chuck yet today?

'Baaaaa' says VG, right on cue

I'd still like an explanation how it is that the people who put themselves through school in order to learn something and have marketable skills, who get up and go to work every day, who simply want a smaller less intrusive government, lower taxes, safe streets, opportunity for all, and an intelligent foreign policy that defends the interests of this country - you know, the Conservatives - are somehow responsible for all the ills of the country.

Oh right, they aren't.

But they must be demonized, because they are the only ones who oppose the Left Wing Fascists.  The 'Progressives' certainly know who is standing in their way, and it isn't the Establishment Republicans in DC

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 03, 2015, 12:11:09 PM

'Baaaaa', says VG right on cue

I'd still like an explanation how it is that the people who put themselves through school in order to learn something and have marketable skills, who get up and go to work every day, who simply want a smaller less intrusive government, lower taxes, safe streets, opportunity for all, and an intelligent foreign policy that defends the interests of this country - you know, the Conservatives - are somehow responsible for all the ills of the country.

Oh right, they aren't.

But they must be demonized, because they are the only ones who oppose the Left Wing Fascists
20+ years of propaganda blended for the resent-filled American middle class worker as masterfully as Starbucks blends its coffee.  You've been totally co-opted by well paid media consultants designing information to hit all your buttons. 

Eddie Coyle

Debbie Wasserman Schultz needn't worry, the goyim of Florida are riddled with Stand With Israel Hagee/Falwell sheep anyway. They won't be offended.

136 or 142

Actually this is what Republicans fight for:
Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) said that restaurants should be allowed to opt out of regulations requiring restaurant employees to wash their hands, the Washington Post reports.
Said Tillis: “I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as they post a sign that says we don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restroom. The market will take care of that. It’s one example.”
Gawker: “What if Starbucks doesn’t want to post the signs Tillis wants? There should be some kind of … rule, maybe? Guideline? Suggestion? Definitely not an evil regulation! requiring them to disclose their level of dedication to hygiene.”
I would say something about idiot and Republican, but that's redundant.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 03, 2015, 09:12:02 PM
Actually this is what Republicans fight for:
Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC) said that restaurants should be allowed to opt out of regulations requiring restaurant employees to wash their hands, the Washington Post reports.
Said Tillis: “I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as they post a sign that says we don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restroom. The market will take care of that. It’s one example.”
Gawker: “What if Starbucks doesn’t want to post the signs Tillis wants? There should be some kind of … rule, maybe? Guideline? Suggestion? Definitely not an evil regulation! requiring them to disclose their level of dedication to hygiene.”
I would say something about idiot and Republican, but that's redundant.
Yeah, they are all nut jobs.  Now Rand Paul is siding with the antivaxxers. Believe it or not, he is a doctor - albeit one who won't say he believes the Earth is older than 6000 years.

136 or 142

To be fair to Rand Paul he did vaccinate his children, although over a longer period of time than is recommended and I believe he did call the 'autism' stuff nonsense.  He just doesn't like government mandates.

Although Paul does have an M.D he actually practiced as an eye doctor.

VtaGeezer

When an educated man like Rand Paul openly puts political/social ideology over his substantial science and medical training as well as the general welfare, he demonstrates the absurdity and danger of ideological hubris.  It also shows that childhood indoctrination by zealot parents builds a thick wall that reason and education may not breach later.

IMO, Paul's extremist view of choice in a matter that requires full social participation to achieve an unquestioned major benefit to all is a clear example of the fallacy of libertarianism.  I also noted his remark that "parents own their children".  And he's previously admitted that he wouldn't have supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964 because he thinks it violates personal liberty.  Paul shows how libertarians exist in a bubble, protected from their own cracked-pot values by a general population that understands responsibility and rights require balance for society to function. 

This incident allowed a rare peek through the super slick public veneer presented by a hard core ideologue who'd shrug as his neighbors endangered their kids and thwarted a beneficial public program in the name of his perverted understanding of liberty.

136 or 142

I wrote on another board that the loony left party in Greece, Syriza would be completely wiped out after their one term in office, and already the first pieces of that are falling into place.
1.They've given up attempting to lower the amount of debt they owe, after promising during the campaign they would try and get the debt cut in half though to save face they still promise to try to slow down the repayments, which they may manage to negotiate.

2.They've now promised they won't run a deficit after promising to reverse nearly all of the spending cuts imposed by the previous government during the election campaign.  This is no surprise as who in their right mind would lend the Greek government additional money?  Although I suppose they could try to use some budgetary tricks it pretty much shuts the door on removing the cuts to social spending or re hiking the wages of civil servants.

So, two major breakings of campaign promises in one day.  I'd say there are a lot of people pissed off in Greece right now.

136 or 142

“Obviously rape is awful… What is beautiful is the child that could come from this.”[/font][/size]
â€" West Virginia Delegate Brian Kurcaba (R), quoted by the Charleston Gazette, on a bill banning abortions even in the cases of rape and incest.[/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
Newly elected Rethuglicans focusing like a laser beam on the economy.[/font][/size]

136 or 142

Rod Dreher, writing for the American Conservative:[/font][/size]
“I keep telling my friends in the national media that if you think Bobby Jindal has a chance in hell of becoming president, send a reporter down to spend a few days in Louisiana, seeing what condition he’s leaving his state in.”[/font][/size]
I suggest Democrats donate money to this guy to travel to virtually every other state with a Republican governor and he'll discover that they're nearly all basket cases.[/font][/size]

Up All Night

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 04, 2015, 10:29:05 AM
I wrote on another board that the loony left party in Greece, Syriza would be completely wiped out after their one term in office, and already the first pieces of that are falling into place.
1.They've given up attempting to lower the amount of debt they owe, after promising during the campaign they would try and get the debt cut in half though to save face they still promise to try to slow down the repayments, which they may manage to negotiate.

2.They've now promised they won't run a deficit after promising to reverse nearly all of the spending cuts imposed by the previous government during the election campaign.  This is no surprise as who in their right mind would lend the Greek government additional money?  Although I suppose they could try to use some budgetary tricks it pretty much shuts the door on removing the cuts to social spending or re hiking the wages of civil servants.

So, two major breakings of campaign promises in one day.  I'd say there are a lot of people pissed off in Greece right now.

Greece wants $236 billion in German World War II reparations

http://www.smh.com.au/world/greece-wants-236-billion-in-german-world-war-ii-reparations-20150209-139c1z.html

Yeah....That's The Ticket ! ! ! WW II Reparations from Deutschland ! !

Kelt

Quote from: VtaGeezer on February 01, 2015, 02:41:37 PM
This year, US gun deaths will surpass US highway deaths.  But it's all worth it; especially if you're one of the well-connected owners of Cerberus Capital.

One thing's for sure, when someone snaps and starts shooting they won't be doing it with .22 ammo.

Where the hell is all the ,22?

3OctaveFart

In addition to losing Yemen, King Urkel humiliates U.S. Marines by requiring them to surrender their weapons to the enemy.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-marines-handed-over-guns-leaving-yemen-204547431.html

It really is time for this clown to take his hat and go.

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on February 12, 2015, 09:59:12 AM
In addition to losing Yemen, King Urkel humiliates U.S. Marines by requiring them to surrender their weapons to the enemy.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-marines-handed-over-guns-leaving-yemen-204547431.html

It really is time for this clown to take his hat and go.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for"

The old rule still applies:  don't put anything in writing you don't want to find yourself on the witness stand being questioned about

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2015/02/11/256304/government-wonders-whats-in-your.html

Not that your emails under 180 days are safe

3OctaveFart

While Obama golfs, Valerie Jarrett runs things at the White House.

Born to American communists in Iran, she's done everything in her power to destroy U.S. allies in the Middle East while strengthening Iran.

The president is in alignment with her anti-American views. He's just lazy so Jarrett goes ahead and does the work for him.