• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 29, 2014, 04:19:50 PM

I would like to see the US be more involved with Africa.  The US has always let the various European countries work with their former colonies when it comes to trade, the economy, the military, diplomacy, because they had experience and ties.  And Europe has mostly stayed out of the Americas

I think it would benefit the US and the various African countries to expand ties and trade.  Especially now that China is there filling a void - they are buying up farmland and making deals for minerals and energy in exchange for building roads, schools, hospitals, etc.  And supporting some of the worst regimes on the planet.
We are big in Africa, unfortunately in our usual way and not in a good way, at least long term, and the Chinese are doing it economically and in infrastructure and not in the messing with the local, often appalling, politics and wars. Bush did a lot on AIDS, Obama campaigned for his Islamic "cousin" Odinga, and of course we sold out Rhodesia and South Africa and let those first world nations fail instead of helping them evolve a while back, and will give food and aide during a famine (and then basically ignore so the next one will happen eventually) so now we are usually just visible there on various military campaigns and, of course, weapons sales.

b_dubb

There are rare earth materials necessary for a lot of sophitlsticated electronics that are a ail able almost solely in Africa. Better that those countries are aligned with the the US than China.

Republican congressman confuses American officials with foreigners:

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2014/07/25/curt-clawson-foreign-affairs-hearing-indian-government/

I'm sure their skin color and names had nothing to do with it, though...

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on July 29, 2014, 06:33:55 PM
and of course we sold out Rhodesia and South Africa

Quite apart from both being members of The Commonwealth and therefore America had no say in 'selling out' either country-and Rhodesia later being Zimbabwe.

qaddisin

I would like to see the US be more involved with Africa.  The US has always let the various European countries work with their former colonies when it comes to trade, the economy, the military, diplomacy, because they had experience and ties.  And Europe has mostly stayed out of the Americas

I think it would benefit the US and the various African countries to expand ties and trade.  Especially now that China is there filling a void - they are buying up farmland and making deals for minerals and energy in exchange for building roads, schools, hospitals, etc.  And supporting some of the worst regimes on the planet.

You do realize that (according to your worldview) Africa is full of brown people likely just looking for handouts, as well as Muslims that all want to see every American beheaded. Or perhaps you think it a better idea to back coup d'etats in every nation and install puppet rulers that would be friendly to U.S. corporate interests, and then whom we'll get to go to war against in 10 to 20 years.

From the way I've seen you post, I can't imagine you supporting any other way. Especially if such a thing as diplomacy were involved.

Kelt

Well, yeah... given we did such a sterling job with Liberia and all... what could possibly go wrong.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 30, 2014, 10:26:23 AM
Quite apart from both being members of The Commonwealth and therefore America had no say in 'selling out' either country-and Rhodesia later being Zimbabwe.
We stopped n even past laws about not investing there.  We pulled out n didnt support them as much as we could in thr bush wars against communists. And now we put up statues of a terrorist in our countries and ignore the crimes against farmers.

Quote from: qaddisin on July 30, 2014, 02:08:07 PM
You do realize that (according to your worldview) Africa is full of brown people likely just looking for handouts, as well as Muslims that all want to see every American beheaded. Or perhaps you think it a better idea to back coup d'etats in every nation and install puppet rulers that would be friendly to U.S. corporate interests, and then whom we'll get to go to war against in 10 to 20 years.

From the way I've seen you post, I can't imagine you supporting any other way. Especially if such a thing as diplomacy were involved.

So you're another one obsessed with race.  And always assuming the worst of the US - here you've already got us attacking these places. 

I used to think the Democrats were all racist holdovers until I realized the policy makers just use race to stay in power, and their flock use it to feel superior while attacking others. 

Which I guess is fine.  Except for the untold amount of damage done to millions of  black kids, who have heard the constant drumbeat by Democrats about how racist the country is - how they have no chance - and who have given up before they even got started in life.  But as long as they vote Democrat it's all good, right?

I'm not sure what closer diplomatic ties, investment, military ties, more tourism and exchange students have to do with 'handout's to brown people' in Africa, but I'm sure you can help me with that.

By the way, it's about personal responsibility and taking care of ones own self and family, not skin color.  There are more white people on welfare than any other race.

As far as the Moslems - again, it's about behavior and mindset.  Due to their cesspool of a religion, too many are uncivilized, violent, and dangerous - and we can't tell which are and which aren't.  It really is as simple as that.  And they come in all colors too.

qaddisin

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 31, 2014, 07:07:12 PM
So you're another one obsessed with race.  And always assuming the worst of the US - here you've already got us attacking these places.

Nah, I'm not obsessed with race. Just think it's funny that you seem to talk a lot about people of certain backgrounds expecting handouts. I've spent a lot of time around people from all over the place and if you treat them like human beings, they usually do the same (unless they're complete assholes, which can happen). The attitude that you typically convey is that they aren't people, but tools to be used by one side, but would be better served being used by the other.

And I've got firsthand experience with being sent to countries that we've helped set up, only to attack them a few years down the line. I'll just leave it at that. 

Which I guess is fine.  Except for the untold amount of damage done to millions of  black kids, who have heard the constant drumbeat by Democrats about how racist the country is - how they have no chance - and who have given up before they even got started in life.  But as long as they vote Democrat it's all good, right?

I agree with you on this point. A lot of damage has been done, and not just to black kids, by policies used by both parties. Democrats are really good at using "hope" and "change" to get what they want, and Republicans are really good at saying that anyone can make it in America, then do a really good job of stacking the deck against them. And I'm of the opinion that anyone can vote however they want. It's one of the great things about this country. Personally, I do my best to vet all the candidates involved in a race, and attempt to make an informed decision, regardless of party (I've voted Libertarian in past presidential elections, because I agree with a majority of their platform, and because I'd like to see them meet the election threshold).

I'm not sure what closer diplomatic ties, investment, military ties, more tourism and exchange students have to do with 'handout's to brown people' in Africa, but I'm sure you can help me with that.

You just seem to be opposed to "handouts", and it also seems that you have spent a lot of time inferring that a certain group of people whose origins may be from the continent of Africa are looking for "handouts". Perhaps your wording is misconstrued, and there is a breakdown in the communication of ideas.

By the way, it's about personal responsibility and taking care of ones own self and family, not skin color.  There are more white people on welfare than any other race.

Once again, I agree with you. Personal responsibility is paramount to the survival of a free society. There are far too many that would rather have others make decisions for them. Cults of personality exist on both sides, and not enough people think for themselves. If they did, I don't think our government or our political structure would look remotely the way it does right now.

As far as the Moslems - again, it's about behavior and mindset.  Due to their cesspool of a religion, too many are uncivilized, violent, and dangerous - and we can't tell which are and which aren't.  It really is as simple as that.  And they come in all colors too.

Those words sound dangerously familiar. I would prefer to think that someone as intelligent and creative as yourself would not wish Muslims the same fate, at best, as Japanese-Americans in 1942. But I'll defend your right to state your opinion, no matter how much it sickens me.

pate

Here's a Democrap I'd actually vote for:

My favorite Democrat James Traficant - Farm Animals

James Traficant; Touchy-feely and Intelligent

Beam Me Up

Gotta love the guy, I'm glad he is free now...

edit: I always loved the "I yield back the balance of my time to:" comments at the end of his one minute speeches...  plus the "beam me up" tag-line.  The guy was an artist on the floor of the Congress.

pate

I must've missed this golden oldie by Trafficant:

My Favorite Democrat James Traficant - Jobs

Quote from: qaddisin on August 01, 2014, 03:57:11 AM
... Those words sound dangerously familiar. I would prefer to think that someone as intelligent and creative as yourself would not wish Muslims the same fate, at best, as Japanese-Americans in 1942. But I'll defend your right to state your opinion, no matter how much it sickens me.

You do realize it was a Democrat President that interned the Japanese, right?

And that situation has nothing to do with making intelligent decisions about who we let immigrate into our country now. 

albrecht

Quote from: pate on August 01, 2014, 05:47:00 AM
I must've missed this golden oldie by Trafficant:

My Favorite Democrat James Traficant - Jobs
I WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree. The man was, and is awesome, and hilarious. And also many times right. I also miss Bob Dornan. Man, his rants and stuff on CSpan were epic. I miss people who believed. Regardless. People who could rant and believe and supported their constituency or beliefs.

qaddisin

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 01, 2014, 05:29:59 PM
You do realize it was a Democrat President that interned the Japanese, right?

I wouldn't give two shits if it was a Whig president who did it. Wrong is wrong. But you're really hung up on making Democrats sound like the villain in a Republic serial, tying little Cathy Conservative to the railroad tracks while maniacally laughing and twirling his mustache. You do a very good job of conveying the attitude that anyone that does not think in lockstep with you is either retarded, evil, or subhuman.

And that situation has nothing to do with making intelligent decisions about who we let immigrate into our country now.

OK. But your statement was all-inclusive, so that would include Muslims that are already here. You're opinion is rather draconian, so I doubt you have very much respect for freedom of religion. Not all aspects of Islam are about killing infidels, just like not all aspects of Christianity are about loving thy neighbor. All religions have blood on their hands, but that doesn't make all those that follow them bent on destroying everyone that doesn't.

albrecht

Quote from: Quick Karl on August 01, 2014, 08:06:55 PM
;D ;D ;D Hilarious!
He did include that one. That used to be the beauty, or ugly, at least you had people looking out for their constituency and speaking their mind. He was against the open-border, the illegal immigration, the foreign wars and against ignoring veterans when they come home. Not for killing coal. Or railroading people. Maybe for different reasons but the the votes were still good. N his Ohio constituency liked him.  Until they got him. He was sorta nuts. But who cares? So is the system. I don't support the guy. But he was less corrupt than Obama or the guy whose machine also screwed over like Blagojevich, simply by trying to play Illinois n Chicago game? Or all the other who went to prison who was with Obama but didn't have the protect racket (or, more importantly, thought they did.)

Quote from: qaddisin on August 01, 2014, 07:08:32 PM
I wouldn't give two shits if it was a Whig president who did it. Wrong is wrong. But you're really hung up on making Democrats sound like the villain in a Republic serial...

Actually, I'm tired of the Conservatives constantly being accused of holding the views that have historically been supported by Democrats, but are now out of favor.  They are the party that fought a war on behalf of slavery, the party of segregation and Jim Crow, the party of the KKK, the party that interred the Japanese, the party that filibustered the various civil tights acts of the 50s and 60s, the party that controls the inner cites and the lousy schools.

Because we don't play race based identity politics, or support the continual growing of government and growing of 'entitlement' handouts, because we think most people can and should support themselves, because we think immigration should be orderly and according to the law, somehow we're 'racists'.  Screw that.

I am for freedom of religion, Islam is more than a religion - it's law, government, AND religion.  As such it's incompatible with democracy and self rule.  Even without the terrorism, which is reason enough to keep them out.

By the way, the Muslims don't give a shit about your freedoms.  All of Arabia used to have enclaves of Christians and Jews, a good percent of the population of all those countries used to be Christian and Jewish.  Over the past 50 years - and continuing today - they've almost all been run off or murdered.  The Muslims are a problem everywhere they go, there is absolutely zero reason to import that.

Quick Karl

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 01, 2014, 09:30:23 PM

Actually, I'm tired of the Conservatives constantly being accused of holding the views that have historically been supported by Democrats, but are now out of favor.  They are the party that fought a war on behalf of slavery, the party of segregation and Jim Crow, the party of the KKK, the party that interred the Japanese, the party that filibustered the various civil tights acts of the 50s and 60s, the party that controls the inner cites and the lousy schools.

Because we don't play race based identity politics, or support the continual growing of government and growing of 'entitlement' handouts, because we think most people can and should support themselves, because we think immigration should be orderly and according to the law, somehow we're 'racists'.  Screw that.

I am for freedom of religion, Islam is more than a religion - it's law, government, AND religion.  As such it's incompatible with democracy and self rule.  Even without the terrorism, which is reason enough to keep them out.

By the way, the Muslims don't give a shit about your freedoms.  All of Arabia used to have enclaves of Christians and Jews, a good percent of the population of all those countries used to be Christian and Jewish.  Over the past 50 years - and continuing today - they've almost all been run off or murdered.  The Muslims are a problem everywhere they go, there is absolutely zero reason to import that.

How dare you inject reason, logic, and facts, into an irrational-emotion-based argument.

WTF is wrong with you anyways?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Quick Karl on August 01, 2014, 09:36:06 PM
How dare you inject reason, logic, and facts, into an irrational-emotion-based argument.

WTF is wrong with you anyways?

Sucking up to PB still won't make him like you. Honestly.

Putin sucks sweaty donkey balls.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 01, 2014, 09:30:23 PM

I hate all politicians. Those fuckers would rather make money than do the right thing.
They want grid lock and to blame the other guy.

We could secure the boarder and take care of the immigrant kids in 3 months if they'd just do their fuckin job.

analog kid

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 02, 2014, 01:48:57 PM
I hate all politicians. Those fuckers would rather make money than do the right thing.
They want grid lock and to blame the other guy.

We could secure the boarder and take care of the immigrant kids in 3 months if they'd just do their fuckin job.

They get more than 200 days a year off, they give themselves raises and are the only people in the country where insider trading is legal. And on their days off they're basically flying around the world, staying at resorts and spas, on taxpayers' dime -- they get payed to go to tropical resorts under the guise of some kind of speech tour or press junket. They show up occasionally for work, talk intentionally divisive bullshit about crap that effects none of us in our daily lives and vote to rename a few post offices. They're fat, old, disgusting ghouls and they're a product of a profoundly sick society.

albrecht

What did Obama say yesterday in his speech and what do you think he really meant? Was it just the usual politicking or is he going really use some Executive Actions, or other methods? If so what kind? Or just threats to try to get Congress to pass something? I watched but I couldn't determine any real policy or broadcast of what his intentions are.

Quote from: analog kid on August 02, 2014, 02:50:42 PM
... and are the only people in the country where insider trading is legal...

That's all true plus they exempt themselves from most laws they pass, not just the insider trading rules. 

Remember a few years ago they were caught writing personal checks out of accounts they didn't have money in, didn't pay back, and weren't taxed on.

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 02, 2014, 04:23:55 PM

That's all true plus they exempt themselves from most laws they pass, not just the insider trading rules. 

Remember a few years ago they were caught writing personal checks out of accounts they didn't have money in, didn't pay back, and weren't taxed on.
Was that the "buying stamps" scam or yet another one? I recall some deal with the Congressional Post Office a while back.

Quick Karl

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 02, 2014, 12:53:44 AM
Sucking up to PB still won't make him like you. Honestly.

Well, in case you haven't figured it out yet, dildo boy, I am not here trying to win any popularity contests, you fucking chimp-brained moron.

Quote from: Quick Karl on August 02, 2014, 05:19:17 PM
Well, in case you haven't figured it out yet, dildo boy, I am not here trying to win any popularity contests, you fucking chimp-brained moron.
Being unpopular would seem to be the only thing in life you are good at.  I will admit, though, that you are really, really good at it.  Olympic gold medal good.  Guinness Book of Records good.  The Grand Poobah of being disliked. 

analog kid

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 02, 2014, 04:23:55 PM

And all the campaign dollars after an election they get to keep, tax free. Campaigns, especially presidential ones - and even failed ones - is like winning the lottery. It's no wonder why people run for president who have to know they have a snowball's chance of getting in the White House. The cash payout is more money than any of us will see in our lifetimes.

albrecht

Quote from: analog kid on August 02, 2014, 06:55:50 PM
And all the campaign dollars after an election they get to keep, tax free. Campaigns, especially presidential ones - and even failed ones - is like winning the lottery. It's no wonder why people run for president who have to know they have a snowball's chance of getting in the White House. The cash payout is more money than any of us will see in our lifetimes.
And nice to be able to take a 5 weeks vacation now, paid for of course, by us dupes. Of course considering it might save us some $$ if they went on vacation for the whole year.