• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

zeebo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 15, 2014, 02:35:16 AM
Soooo......

Any other beefs?

300 pages and counting ...  ;D

Thanks to onan for starting this thread, and giving us the gift that keeps on giving. 

Yorkshire pud

The wretch used 'So' at the beginning of the sentence....

Retribution was long and sustained.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 15, 2014, 12:43:09 PM

I lifted the phrase from my pet Grey Squirrel, Geoff..Chime isn't the only one with a tree rat for a best friend!!!

Is he any relation to Gef, the famous spooky Manx mongoose?

http://gefmongoose.blogspot.com/p/the-story-of-gef.html

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 15, 2014, 01:32:37 PM
Is he any relation to Gef, the famous spooky Manx mongoose?

http://gefmongoose.blogspot.com/p/the-story-of-gef.html

What????????? That's crazy talk. Whoever heard of a talking mongoose?

wr250

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 15, 2014, 01:41:49 PM

talking:
squirrels - check
wabbits - check
ducks - check
mice - check
dogs - check
coyotes - check 
chipmunks - check
woodpeckers - check
pigs horses cows chickens - check
cats - check
no mongooses (mongeese?)

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 15, 2014, 01:41:49 PM

He also sang and did impressions, and reportedly was quite fond of sausages.  What's so crazy about that?

BTW, I first read about Gef in a book published in 1959 (and still available on Amazon) called, Stranger Than Science, by Frank Edwards.  It's a collection of paranormal tales of all kinds, many of which scared the hell out of me as a kid (including Gef's story), although almost all of them have been subsequently debunked or discovered to have been entirely made up.  It was one of my first introductions to the paranormal, though, and if not one of the inspirations for C2C, definitely one of its early ancestors.

Quote from: wr250 on September 15, 2014, 01:46:10 PM
talking:
squirrels - check
wabbits - check
ducks - check
mice - check
dogs - check
coyotes - check 
chipmunks - check
woodpeckers - check
pigs horses cows chickens - check
cats - check
no mongooses (mongeese?)

That's a nice comprehensive list of acceptable anthropomorphized furry creatures.  I'm going to refer to it often.

onan

I think mongoose union by-laws only allow mime.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 15, 2014, 02:44:40 PM
<--- hey one right here

I wonder if they took that idea from The Jungle Book.

"Rikki Tikki Geffy"

According to the story, a Manx farmer imported mongooses mongeese some of the little critters about twenty years earlier to try to control the rabbit population, so that may have been a big influence.  In fact, Gef claimed to have born on June 7, 1852 in Delhi, India.

More on the 'so' subject, I find it annoying that American news networks, particularly CNN, have become so chatty.  I watch the news to find out what's going on, not to make a friend.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 15, 2014, 03:03:33 PM
More on the 'so' subject, I find it annoying that American news networks, particularly CNN, have become so chatty.  I watch the news to find out what's going on, not to make a friend.

CNN was originally all about real news, which Ted Turner, for some crazy reason, thought was important for the public to hear, especially the stories that weren't covered by the three major networks at the time.  He felt so strongly about the concept, that he launched CNN knowing that he would lose millions on it.  Today's CNN is a travesty and an embarrassment (yeah, I'm talking to you, Blitzer, Borger, and Foreman), and when Ted Turner dies, it will keep him spinning in his grave for a long time.

VtaGeezer

Since we're on a usage tear, I hate performers using the word "cover" as a comfy euphemism for imitate; or more accurately, rip-off of an entire arrangement or act. 

Gd5150

Dripping toothpaste on a clean shirt which makes the shirt have to go back in the laundry because water never gets it out.

Getting deodorant on a black shirt while putting it on, and having to toss it in the laundry because nothing seems to get it out.

Eddie Coyle

That Notre Dame is never on The Monday Evening Football!

Anti-Papist bias, I presume.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 15, 2014, 03:13:21 PM
CNN was originally all about real news, which Ted Turner, for some crazy reason, thought was important for the public to hear, especially the stories that weren't covered by the three major networks at the time.  He felt so strongly about the concept, that he launched CNN knowing that he would lose millions on it.  Today's CNN is a travesty and an embarrassment (yeah, I'm talking to you, Blitzer, Borger, and Foreman), and when Ted Turner dies, it will keep him spinning in his grave for a long time.

I have a whole new view of Ted Turner, thanks to Eddie Coyle.  ;D

Quote from: Gd5150 on September 15, 2014, 05:40:58 PM
Dripping toothpaste on a clean shirt which makes the shirt have to go back in the laundry because water never gets it out.

Getting deodorant on a black shirt while putting it on, and having to toss it in the laundry because nothing seems to get it out.

Politics aside, this is something we can agree on.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 15, 2014, 06:23:00 PM
I have a whole new view of Ted Turner, thanks to Eddie Coyle.  ;D

He seems intolerant, but is actually very accepting.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 15, 2014, 06:35:49 PM
     He seems intolerant, but is actually very accepting.

Such a good husband he was, he did everything for Jane, bent over backwards for her, in fact.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 15, 2014, 07:12:56 PM
Such a good husband he was, he did everything for Jane, bent over backwards for her, in fact.

And forwards. More 71 than 69 in that relationship.

albrecht

Calling a cable company, in this case starts with a "T", to complain about 1-866 calls from said company and get a representative in who knows where who after saying "I can't stop those calls" and advising me to block them ends the call with "you will be receiving a call in a few minutes for a customer survey." ps: the odd thing about the 1-866 calls is that NOBODY TALKS, whether I let machine go take the call or if I answer. All I hear is muttering (like muffled call-center somewhere)!!

-edit. I just answered another one and some Indian-chap informed me he was with Time, whoops sorry, the cable company and he couldn't fix the issue and a technician will come out. So I guess it is legit. But still why the early, many calls with no talking? Padding their thru-rate on calls taken? Fooling their managers at the out-sourced call center? I doubt it because I worked on one decades ago and even then we could tell "real" calls etc from folks not selling or not having real conversations....

eyenoeyeno

My neighbor needs to shush and let me enjoy my porch in peace.  Holy crap.   Apartments suck.  So does her ugly ass robe.

ZHero

Quote from: eyenoeyeno on September 15, 2014, 11:37:54 PM
My neighbor needs to shush and let me enjoy my porch in peace.  Holy crap.   Apartments suck.  So does her ugly ass robe.

Neighbors ARE annoying.  I live in a subdivision and a neighbor a few houses down has a big dog that he let's out into a small fenced in back yard. It barks at the wind, birds, grass, and it's own damn shadow!
You would think the DAMN H.O.A., which gets on ppl for their grass being a quarter inch too long, would say something.
I really feel sorry for the poor ppl who live on either side of them...

BattyBrooke

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 13, 2014, 03:21:55 PM
But you don't mind sitting in traffic inhaling clouds of toxic engine exhaust fumes?

If I don't smell it and the scent isn't stuck in my hair for the rest of the day, then I'm okay with it. We're all marching slowly to our deaths anyway. I'd just rather not smell like shit when I get there.

Chine

Quote from: ZHero on September 16, 2014, 12:17:26 AM
Neighbors ARE annoying.  I live in a subdivision and a neighbor a few houses down has a big dog that he let's out into a small fenced in back yard. It barks at the wind, birds, grass, and it's own damn shadow!
You would think the DAMN H.O.A., which gets on ppl for their grass being a quarter inch too long, would say something.
I really feel sorry for the poor ppl who live on either side of them...

I feel sorry for the dog. That barking is due to lack of interaction, play, exercise. I'm going to refrain from my fury further on that subject.

Quote from: Chine on September 16, 2014, 03:04:27 PM
I feel sorry for the dog. That barking is due to lack of interaction, play, exercise. I'm going to refrain from my fury further on that subject.

Yes!  Constant barking is a signal that something is amiss.  A walk around the block once a day.  Some socialization with the neighbors might be nice. 
People spend hundreds of dollars on the "next new" breed and are surprised when the living creature needs ATTENTION. Cruelty to animals isn't always meted out with physical beatings. 
*****Rant Done Now.*****   

eyenoeyeno

Quote from: Chine on September 16, 2014, 03:04:27 PM

I imagine that my neighbors dogs are barking out of embarrassment that their humans don't pick up their poo.

Quote from: Treading Water on September 16, 2014, 03:25:38 PM
Yes!  Constant barking is a signal that something is amiss.  A walk around the block once a day.  Some socialization with the neighbors might be nice. 
People spend hundreds of dollars on the "next new" breed and are surprised when the living creature needs ATTENTION. Cruelty to animals isn't always meted out with physical beatings. 
*****Rant Done Now.*****

Well ranted!  And shelter pets are the best!

Chine

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 16, 2014, 03:57:40 PM
Well ranted!  And shelter pets are the best!

Yes. There are far too many that could be saved. Still, you must do your homework on the breed. Even a mix. And also, people are unable to take responsibility for themselves anymore to begin with. Before considering a pet. Or child.

And I'm in the 'dog world' and have raised thousands of dollars with donating art for rescue, rehabilitation, etc. After Katrina hit, many animals were sent to Louisianna for vet care, etc. I sold over 4,000 of my art on an EBay posting in effort to help anyway I could. All funds went to those facilities. I've gotten emails back of puppies, dogs that survived from our efforts. I can't even articulate how rewarding a feeling it was to my heart.

But, I'm gonna stop here. As this subject does rile me up where my arteries will bust. Ha. Maybe I should jump over to Things That Bring Joy thread.