• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

WhiteCrow

Quote from: BobGrau on July 22, 2014, 01:42:40 AM
I also recall a scene where Clark has to shave his indestructible stubble by bouncing his heat vision off a mirror.

That's a load of crap. If Superman was indestructible except for krypton, then heat vision wouldn't work.
It really annoys me that people just accept these glaring illogical leaps with Super Heroes.
Speaking crap... If Superman took a dump in a toilet, wouldn't his indestructible crap destroy any sewer treatment plant.

BobGrau

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 22, 2014, 04:43:19 AM
That's a load of crap. If Superman was indestructible except for krypton, then heat vision wouldn't work.
It really annoys me that people just accept these glaring illogical leaps with Super Heroes.
Speaking crap... If Superman took a dump in a toilet, wouldn't his indestructible crap destroy any sewer treatment plant.

Hey, you don't need to convince me... I had meant to add 'where did he get an indestructible mirror' but I thought it might sound a little too... y'know, smartass.

onan

I haven't worked out who is faster: Speedy Gonzalez or Road Runner? Your questions will have to wait.

ItsOver

Or who should take over C2C .  Elmer Fudd or Sylvester The Cat?

wr250

Quote from: onan on July 22, 2014, 05:34:55 AM
I haven't worked out who is faster: Speedy Gonzalez or Road Runner? Your questions will have to wait.

perhaps one of the following will answer your question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Chase

Roadrunner vs. Speedy Gonzalez

wr250

Quote from: ItsOver on July 22, 2014, 06:05:14 AM
Or who should take over C2C .  Elmer Fudd or Sylvester The Cat?

i think either would be better than noory.

ItsOver

Quote from: wr250 on July 22, 2014, 06:14:10 AM
i think either would be better than noory.
I'm favoring Sylvester.  Hearing "Sufferin' succotash!" several times an hour would be a big step up from "that's true."

wr250

Quote from: ItsOver on July 22, 2014, 07:18:45 AM
I'm favoring Sylvester.  Hearing "Sufferin' succotash!" several times an hour would be a big step up from "that's true." and of course of corshe"

there ya go.

Tarbaby

Somewhere, last month, I heard people discussing how Superman might have been circumcised. What with being indestructible and all. One guy said it would have had to have been on krypton, before he left. They didn't address the question of why he might have been circumcised.

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 22, 2014, 09:21:10 AM
Somewhere, last month, I heard people discussing how Superman might have been circumcised. What with being indestructible and all. One guy said it would have had to have been on krypton, before he left. They didn't address the question of why he might have been circumcised.

Before this argument gets too heated and people say hurtful things they might regret later, does anyone even know what Kryptonian junk looks like?  Maybe it's nothing like ours and circumcision isn't even an issue.  Until we know for sure, it's all just speculation.

It would be irresponsible to speculate?

It would be irresponsible not to...

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 22, 2014, 10:18:03 AM
It would be irresponsible to speculate?

It would be irresponsible not to...

It positively behooves us to speculate about such an important subject. I just meant we shouldn't make assertions we can't back up with hard irrefutable evidence. 

Quote from: ItsOver on July 22, 2014, 07:18:45 AM
I'm favoring Sylvester.  Hearing "Sufferin' succotash!" several times an hour would be a big step up from "that's true."
:)

paladin1991

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 21, 2014, 02:25:46 AM
     No, yooze have to adapt to our time, because we won D-Day and stuff like that. And beat George the King back in the olden days.
The first time I read this, I thought you said 'cooze' and I couldn't figure what you meant...

paladin1991

You super man fan types ought to look up a little thing called 'Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex'by Larry Nivan.

paladin1991

It's all part of the Great Jewish Conspiracy.  Ask Chaim.

Catsmile

Somewhere, last month, I heard people discussing how Superman might have been circumcised. What with being indestructible and all. One guy said it would have had to have been on krypton, before he left.
They didn't address the question of why he might have been circumcised.

A man so tight that bullets bounce off him...
...hes gotta be a jew.  :P
(Ducks and runs)

albrecht

His creators were Jews (Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster) so maybe this "theory" has it that Superman is also a Jew? I vaguely recall some NPR piece about Superman and Jewish influence and influence of the Great Depression. He did fight for "social justice" and especially the Nazis, KKK, etc in some episodes, so? The name Kal-El sounds somewhat Semitic. Or that many people, even non-Jews, in the US were/are circumcised so someone just wondered about it?

Imconfused

Superman,  Batman,  Spiderman or any man that is capable of flying.  At least if they were flipping their arms,  so it's more believable. 

This of course doesn't include Neo taking to the sky in the end of Matrix.  That I can understand.

wr250

Quote from: Imconfused on July 22, 2014, 07:43:48 PM
Superman,  Batman,  Spiderman or any man that is capable of flying.  At least if they were flipping their arms,  so it's more believable. 

This of course doesn't include Neo taking to the sky in the end of Matrix.  That I can understand.

Best of Wingsuit Proximity Flying 2013

I've had flying dreams for as long as I can remember.  Most of them occurred whe I was a little kid, but I still occasionally have them.  They don't last very long, but the sensation of unassisted flight is always very real, right down to the view of the ground, and the sensation of ecstatic exhilaration is indescribably delicious.  Unfortunately, they always end the same frustrating way, which is what annoys me.  The flying suddenly becomes more difficult, and I quickly lose altitude until I'm just a few feet of the ground.  I desperately try to keep aloft by frantically flapping my arms for a few seconds, but it never works and I wake up, annoyed and sad because the ride was over so quickly, as soon as I land. 

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 22, 2014, 11:13:59 PM
I've had flying dreams for as long as I can remember.  Most of them occurred whe I was a little kid, but I still occasionally have them.  They don't last very long, but the sensation of unassisted flight is always very real, right down to the view of the ground, and the sensation of ecstatic exhilaration is indescribably delicious.  Unfortunately, they always end the same frustrating way, which is what annoys me.  The flying suddenly becomes more difficult, and I quickly lose altitude until I'm just a few feet of the ground.  I desperately try to keep aloft by frantically flapping my arms for a few seconds, but it never works and I wake up, annoyed and sad because the ride was over so quickly, as soon as I land.

I've had the same type of dreams about running because I can't run anymore, but the feeling of exhilaration is there when I run and run and run in a dream. Have you tried lucid dream techniques to become aware you're dreaming and keep yourself flying at that moment when flying becomes more difficult?

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 23, 2014, 03:17:49 AM
I've had the same type of dreams about running because I can't run anymore, but the feeling of exhilaration is there when I run and run and run in a dream. Have you tried lucid dream techniques to become aware you're dreaming and keep yourself flying at that moment when flying becomes more difficult?

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get the hang of lucid dreaming.  I've realized, or maybe suspected, I was dreaming a few times, but was never able to exert any control. 

My least favorite dreams are the ones that happen right before I wake up and it suddenly becomes almost impossible to move or talk. There's a term for that, which I can't remember, but apparently it's fairly common and has something to do with the waking up process.  It's frustrating as hell, even more so than the futile arm flapping at the end of my flying dreams.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 23, 2014, 09:35:55 AM
Unfortunately, I've never been able to get the hang of lucid dreaming.  I've realized, or maybe suspected, I was dreaming a few times, but was never able to exert any control. 

My least favorite dreams are the ones that happen right before I wake up and it suddenly becomes almost impossible to move or talk. There's a term for that, which I can't remember, but apparently it's fairly common and has something to do with the waking up process.  It's frustrating as hell, even more so than the futile arm flapping at the end of my flying dreams.

Sleep paralysis. First time it happened to me I was about 15 years old. I was convinced aliens were going to abduct me.  (I was reading a lot about UFO's then and convinced it was all true)

I've sinced moved on and realised they did.

But seriously your flying dream is very similar to my recurring one..also flying, also exhilarating, but I fly above a very grassy valley, the grass is incredibly green. Half way down sticking out of one side of the valley side is a half built viaduct in white stone. It stops half way across. I don't land I just fly around it.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 23, 2014, 09:45:03 AM
Sleep paralysis. First time it happened to me I was about 15 years old. I was convinced aliens were going to abduct me.  (I was reading a lot about UFO's then and convinced it was all true)

I've sinced moved on and realised they did.

But seriously your flying dream is very similar to my recurring one..also flying, also exhilarating, but I fly above a very grassy valley, the grass is incredibly green. Half way down sticking out of one side of the valley side is a half built viaduct in white stone. It stops half way across. I don't land I just fly around it.

Do you ever feel like the viaduct is significant in some way, or is it just there?  Unless it's something obvious, I'm clueless when it comes to interpreting my dreams.

I also occasionally have flying dreams where I'm either piloting or riding in a tiny craft of some kind that would be incapable of flight in real life. Those are almost as much fun as the unaided flight dreams, but they don't last very long before something pulls me down and I wake up.

Have you ever read any of Lovecraft's dream stories?  They're richly detailed and have recurring themes that make me think he might have figured out lucid dreaming and was writing about his own dream experiences.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 23, 2014, 10:03:07 AM
Do you ever feel like the viaduct is significant in some way, or is it just there?  Unless it's something obvious, I'm clueless when it comes to interpreting my dreams.

I don't know what the viaduct signifies. Half finished things? Ultra green grass? Things don't have to be bad? I'm just using metaphors that might mean diddly squat.

I also have another recurring dream where I'm being chased through a derelict building. Lot's of falling down rooms, hidden corridors etc..I never see or hear whoever is chasing me, but I know I'm being chased...That one I can get lucid with and manipulate it.

I also occasionally have flying dreams where I'm either piloting or riding in a tiny craft of some kind that would be incapable of flight in real life. Those are almost as much fun as the unaided flight dreams, but they don't last very long before something pulls me down and I wake up.

Have you ever read any of Lovecraft's dream stories?  They're richly detailed and have recurring themes that make me think he might have figured out lucid dreaming and was writing about his own dream experiences.

I don't know of that; there's a guy who goes on Radio 2 Steve Wright show.. (BBC) which you can listen to online via their website. It's usually announced a few weeks in advance and people e mail in and call..He's a dream interpreter and says that all dreams can be reduced down to about five things. A house he says means yourself. 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 23, 2014, 10:22:06 AM

I don't know of that; there's a guy who goes on Radio 2 Steve Wright show.. (BBC) which you can listen to online via their website. It's usually announced a few weeks in advance and people e mail in and call..He's a dream interpreter and says that all dreams can be reduced down to about five things. A house he says means yourself.

H. P. Lovecraft wrote pulp horror fiction, mostly set in New England, in the thirties.  He had a very heavy, ornate style of writing that was more like 19th Century prose, and he created several recurring themes involving evil, ancient deities called "The Old Ones," and some nasty creatures associated with them.  He also created the terrifying god Cthulu, who's been hijacked by a few later authors.  He also wrote several dream stories involving the same dream world and characters who had learned to navigate it through lucid dreaming, although I'm pretty sure he didn't call it that.  A few of his stories just about froze my blood and left unpleasant and disquieting impressions on me.

I just figured all dream symbolism was ultimately about sex.

Eddie Coyle

Person 1: "Then the goof got arrested for DUI"

Person 2: "Oh, yeah...remember that?"

Person  1 :"No,I can't recall that.  I only just mentioned it..."

zeebo

Tweets used to contain news.  Now news is about tweets.