Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 1182664 times)

Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #13920 on: February 07, 2019, 06:23:31 PM »
Once again the water is smelly but, rest assured, the City says, unlike last time, no "boil notice," "it is fine to drink, we put some activated charcoal in it." Zebra Mussels they now say is the cause. Early they said there was some "pipe problem and a facility." No thanks.
http://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-water-responds-unusual-odor-water-water-safe-drink

Austin Water Responds to Unusual Odor in Water - Water is Safe to Drink AUSTIN - Some customers are experiencing an unusual odor in their water. Water provided by Austin Water continues to meet all regulatory standards and is safe to drink.

Austin Water is taking the following steps to respond:

Feeding powdered activated carbon to mitigate odor issue. Powdered activated carbon is often used to help with taste and odor occurrences.
 Flushing water lines in the affected areas.
Customers in central and south Austin are affected. Austin Water expects the odor issue to be resolved in the next 24 hours.
   Based on routine test results received this morning and staff analysis, Austin Water believes that the odor issues were likely caused by the presence of Zebra Mussels in a raw water pipeline at Ullrich Water Treatment Plant. The pipeline was put back in service on Feb. 6 after being out of service for repairs over the past two weeks.
I'm shocked, simply shocked such a thing could be occurring in such an up-and-coming liberal utopia.  ;)

« Reply #13921 on: February 08, 2019, 12:55:45 PM »
I'm shocked, simply shocked such a thing could be occurring in such an up-and-coming liberal utopia.  ;)

So if one makes pasta right now I guess I can go clam-based and not even add any clams or clam-juice to the sauce? Can I mix my water with some vodka and tomato juice and make a clammy Bloody ala Clamato? If I run my washing machine will I smell like some clam digger? If this water is "safe to drink" why did the City add "activated charcoal" to the system- isn't that something you give to people with poisoning?
Questions.... abound.

« Reply #13922 on: February 08, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
So if one makes pasta right now I guess I can go clam-based and not even add any clams or clam-juice to the sauce? Can I mix my water with some vodka and tomato juice and make a clammy Bloody ala Clamato? If I run my washing machine will I smell like some clam digger? If this water is "safe to drink" why did the City add "activated charcoal" to the system- isn't that something you give to people with poisoning?
Questions.... abound.
You can trust them.  They're The Government. ;)

« Reply #13923 on: February 09, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
You can trust them.  They're The Government. ;)

Not just Zebra Mussels but DEAD ones. Yeah, I'm sure drinking stinky water filtered through dead bivalve mollusks is certainly safe? What could go wrong? I got some old oysters sitting around somewhere I might re-ice and eat and those old clams I've been meaning to eat....
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-water-confirms-that-smell-was-dead-zebra-mussels/1766174494 

« Reply #13924 on: February 10, 2019, 06:58:04 PM »
Speechless. Rename a water treatment plant for some black guy instead of treating the water properly so it doesn't smell and taste like dead shellfish. Priorities. 

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190210/water-treatment-plant-named-for-former-council-member

"the council voted to name the facility after Handcox, who was the first African-American council member elected under the manager-council form of government." 

"The ceremony came as many Austinites were experiencing foul-smelling water that officials say is due to dead zebra mussels found in a raw water pipeline at a plant in West Austin.  Even with a water treatment plant named after him, Handcox said he was going to leave the resolution up to the professionals."

« Reply #13925 on: February 12, 2019, 01:01:24 AM »
That's a hard act to follow,

I am annoyed when the browser I use doesn't brand itself where I can see the brand while I'm using it.

« Reply #13926 on: February 15, 2019, 04:15:48 PM »
Re: Things That Annoy:

Anybody who says Hendrix was/is the best player of all time. He's NOT!

« Reply #13927 on: February 15, 2019, 05:07:50 PM »
Re: Things That Annoy:

Anybody who says Hendrix was/is the best player of all time. He's NOT!

Jeff Beck agrees.