• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sappy Stuff - get out your hankie

Started by EvB, May 04, 2011, 04:24:57 PM

EvB

I don't know anyone who isn't moved by some random story or event sometimes.  Even when we know there are:

Bigger Issues
    More Complex Issues
    Complexities to the issue or event itself we don't want to consider.
Well, I thought I'd invite you to post yours -

One of mine is Patrick the Miracle Dog - a puppy so badly abused and neglected - then stuffed in a trash bag and thrown down a garbage shoot - that no one thought he'd live. Images of him have sparked international response.  This dog will never want for a thing again in his life so many people have sent money for his medical expenses, bedding, toys, clothing (he was so thin he NEEDED clothing to stay warm, it wasn't just for cute) money for food, treats; you name it, if a dog could use it, Patrick's got it. he's not yet ready for a new home, but he's also got plenty of people ready to give him one and treat him like a king for the rest of his life.

Now for the really cool part (because while saving one dog is awesome, it's still just saving one dog): The stories and images of him horrified so many, there is now a strong national movement (which, of course, must be resolved state by state) to broaden the definition of animal abuse and stiffen the penalties. It's gotten, and continues to get, a lot of traction.

Even if you don't give a rat's ass about critters - remember that the correlation between animal abuse and subsequent abuse of other humans is very high.

The Patrick Movement

It hasn't even been two months yet - but look how far this dog, who had been on death's door, has come:

PATRICK IS WALKING ON SUNSHINE.. HE'S OUR SHINING LIGHT!