• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Eddie Coyle

I would often go days without bathing and sitting in the squalor of my own human waste piling up around me, I'd pick the nits out of my pubic hair just HOPING and PRAYING that Sammy Hagar would cover Depeche Mode.

Prayers answered. But I'm going to continue to sit in my nudeness and defecate on the blanket of which I sleep upon until Depeche Mode covers "Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy".

http://youtu.be/Ed6oJIhXKC8

Quote from: Albemuth on May 19, 2015, 10:00:21 AM
Never considered myself a fan of hip hop - but I listened to your A Tribe Called Quest post of their "Low End Theory" recording. Really is some excellent stuff. Has a traditional jazz feel along with some sharp & snappy bass/percussion work. Might have to buy this one...

I love this thread!  I've listened to and purchased music that I didn't even know existed.  Great place to get lost for an hour or four.... :)

Yorkshire pud

Not everyone's taste, but it has the lovely Liz Fraser (Cocteau twins) on it...I just love the way it overlaps, and layers throughout..

http://youtu.be/4H23WYe_pxc

PathoJen

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 31, 2015, 12:31:48 PM
Not everyone's taste, but it has the lovely Liz Fraser (Cocteau twins) on it...I just love the way it overlaps, and layers throughout..

http://youtu.be/4H23WYe_pxc
I love this. Absolutely haunting.

Yorkshire pud

And; if you don't like this, you don't like music..

This was composed to be played with the orchestra split into three by Vaughan Williams.. The BBC Concert orchestra reproduced it in this documentary and video.. It is quintessentially English..Beautiful. It will be played at my funeral.

http://youtu.be/ihx5LCF1yJY

Yorkshire pud

Tragically, the sax player accidentally cut his fingers off with a circular saw a few years later.  :'(

http://youtu.be/InQxghlWMWM

Avi

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 31, 2015, 12:56:56 PM
And; if you don't like this, you don't like music..

This was composed to be played with the orchestra split into three by Vaughan Williams.. The BBC Concert orchestra reproduced it in this documentary and video.. It is quintessentially English..Beautiful. It will be played at my funeral.

I thought you were going for Devil in a Blue Dress? It does contain the quintessentially English 'Fee-Fie-Foe-Fum.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WXhbixla0c

PathoJen

https://youtu.be/hXe1jpHPnUs

Everyone know the weird story of Jeff Buckleys untimely death? Pretty weird. He was a huge talent.

Avi

Quote from: PathoJen on June 01, 2015, 11:58:28 AM
Everyone know the weird story of Jeff Buckleys untimely death? Pretty weird. He was a huge talent.

No, what was weird about it? Was he 27, the age of rock star doom, according to Gary Patterson?

The General

Quote from: PathoJen on June 01, 2015, 11:58:28 AM

He was really amazing. 
One of my favorites.

PathoJen

Quote from: Avi on June 01, 2015, 12:07:37 PM
No, what was weird about it? Was he 27, the age of rock star doom, according to Gary Patterson?
He and a friend were sitting on a riverbank one evening, I believe he was in Memphis. He suddenly got up and walked into the river, all the while he was singing. He then just went missing for hours, possibly days. Of course he was eventually found dead and tox reports showed no signs of drugs or alcohol in his system. He was 30 actually.

Eddie Coyle

Grace is the definition of succes d'estime, it was critically lauded but ignored(lower reaches of Billboard top 200) by a record buying/radio listening public that was putting Bush, Silverchair, Candlebox and The Offspring at the top of the charts. Ugh.

PathoJen

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 01, 2015, 12:27:20 PM
   Grace is the definition of succes d'estime, it was critically lauded but ignored(lower reaches of Billboard top 200) by a record buying/radio listening public that was putting Bush, Silverchair, Candlebox and The Offspring at the top of the charts. Ugh.
Right. Not mainstream, somewhat obscure, no radio play that I can recall, yet critically acclaimed. I think Jeff Buckley wanted it that way. That's what gives artists of his era staying power. His music sounds relevant still. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: PathoJen on June 01, 2015, 12:32:29 PM
Right. Not mainstream, somewhat obscure, no radio play that I can recall, yet critically acclaimed. I think Jeff Buckley wanted it that way. That's what gives artists of his era staying power. His music sounds relevant still.

"Last Goodbye" got some airplay as a single/video, and stood out like a sore thumb on "modern rock" radio, but was far from a hit. But I'm certain that Grace's catalog sales in 2015 matches or exceeds acts of similar vintage who outsold him by leaps and bounds in 1995. Indie/college formats play multiple selections from the album all the time. Good stations, not the "Seattle's Greatest Hits and the Red Hot Chili Peppers!" that many 90's-centric rock stations seem to be.

ItsOver

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find this haunting version of "Silver Springs" ANYWHERE, under Fleetwood Mac or Stevie Nicks.  Finally figured out why. It was a cover.  Not bad.  It sure had me fooled.

https://soundcloud.com/deccarecords/08-silver-springs

The General

Quote from: PathoJen on June 01, 2015, 12:15:05 PM
He and a friend were sitting on a riverbank one evening, I believe he was in Memphis. He suddenly got up and walked into the river, all the while he was singing. He then just went missing for hours, possibly days. Of course he was eventually found dead and tox reports showed no signs of drugs or alcohol in his system. He was 30 actually.

Yeah, it was a bit strange, he just walked into the river without so much as removing his boots or any clothing.  All while singing Led Zeppelin.  Then again, I'm sure he had personality quirks being the musician that he was and being the son of Tim Buckley. 

PathoJen

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 01, 2015, 12:46:58 PM
  "Last Goodbye" got some airplay as a single/video, and stood out like a sore thumb on "modern rock" radio, but was far from a hit. But I'm certain that Grace's catalog sales in 2015 matches or exceeds acts of similar vintage who outsold him by leaps and bounds in 1995. Indie/college formats play multiple selections from the album all the time. Good stations, not the "Seattle's Greatest Hits and the Red Hot Chili Peppers!" that many 90's-centric rock stations seem to be.
Yup! Still relevant. 

PathoJen

Quote from: The General on June 01, 2015, 01:03:10 PM
Yeah, it was a bit strange, he just walked into the river without so much as removing his boots or any clothing.  All while singing Led Zeppelin.  Then again, I'm sure he had personality quirks being the musician that he was and being the son of Tim Buckley.
The great ones usually do., don't they? I can totally picture the moment he walked out into the water...Do you think he was knowingly committing suicide?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: PathoJen on June 01, 2015, 01:11:51 PM
The great ones usually do., don't they? I can totally picture the moment he walked out into the water...Do you think he was knowingly committing suicide?

The anchor chain around his waist might have been the giveaway.

The General

Quote from: PathoJen on June 01, 2015, 01:11:51 PM
Personally, no. 
I just think he was particularly high on life that day, felt invincible, went swimming carelessly, and paid the price.  It was most likely just one of those impulsive bipolar decisions that went tragically wrong.

PathoJen

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 01, 2015, 01:13:36 PM
The anchor chain around his waist might have been the giveaway.
No, that wasn't an anchor chain, that was a heavy pocket watch. He was a huge Flava Flav fan. :P

lonevoice

Quote from: The General on June 01, 2015, 01:03:10 PM
It's a wonderful post that includes references to both Jeff and Tim Buckley.  I love the artistry of both men equally, though differently.

You probably already know all of this, but I'm going to drop it in here anyway because it's always fascinated me.

Tim divorced Jeff's mother when she was 8 months pregnant with their son, Jeff.   Jeff only met his father one time, when he was 8-years-old.   Both of them were vastly underrated as artists and vocalists in their time, though critical and public appreciation grew after their premature deaths:  Tim by an accidental drug overdose at 28; Jeff by drowning at age 30, twenty years after his father's untimely demise. 

Tim Buckley wrote a song about Jeff and his mother, and recorded it about a year after Jeff was born:  "I Never Asked to be Your Mountain"

Jeff, who rarely referred to his father after his death, performed this song at a 1991 tribute to Tim Buckley.   The story goes that Jeff was so overcome by emotion after performing his father's song that he fled from the stage in tears.  I don't know if that's true, but it might be.

It's always amazed me to listen to the two versions of this song, the original as performed by its creator, Tim Buckley, who wrote the song about his son, and the tribute version that Jeff performed for his father in 1991.  How many similarities they had, both vocally and stylistically!

Tim Buckley 1967

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGiNr1bctzw 

Jeff Buckley 1991

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHSnMCrMeNY

Both of these, in my opinion, are beautiful works of artistry.  I've often imagined what it would sound like to hear the two of them sing together.  So sad that it never happened.

PathoJen

Thanks for that info on the Buckley's Lonevoice. I actually didn't know he only met his father one time. That's sad. They look so much alike, it's uncanny.

lonevoice

Quote from: PathoJen on June 01, 2015, 07:00:47 PM
Thanks for that info on the Buckley's Lonevoice. I actually didn't know he only met his father one time. That's sad. They look so much alike, it's uncanny.
They do.  There are so many similarities between the two of them it's eerie.   

albrecht

Quote from: lonevoice on June 01, 2015, 06:55:19 PM
It's a wonderful post that includes references to both Jeff and Tim Buckley.  I love the artistry of both men equally, though differently.

Both of these, in my opinion, are beautiful works of artistry.  I've often imagined what it would sound like to hear the two of them sing together.  So sad that it never happened.
Different genre but I recall a while back Hank Jr did a video with his dad Hank, who was dead for decades obviously, by music and video editing. And it turned out pretty good. I imagine these days with all the CGI and digital manipulation (and holograms even) you could make a duet, if they wanted to.

PathoJen

I'm not 100% sure of the details, and I prob should Google it, but he was somehow affiliated with Chris Cornell in the 90s.