• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Quote from: Kelt on January 17, 2015, 11:06:54 PM
Any Stone Roses fans in the audience?

http://youtu.be/x-A7P0ksHN4
Fantastic band, one of the very best from a city that has produced so many great bands.  Their first album ranks right up there as one of the best debut albums ever.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on January 17, 2015, 11:36:25 PM
Fantastic band, one of the very best from a city that has produced so many great bands.  Their first album ranks right up there as one of the best debut albums ever.

Indeed, I think it's the best album of 1989...edging out Milli Vanilli, of course!

Unrelated, but the Black Crowes broke up...again...saw them 4 times between 1991-99 and liked them quite a bit, but their audience was increasingly insufferable. The last two times were full of Deadhead types looking for a new "vibe", the same doofuses who ruined Gov't Mule shows of the era.

analog kid

^^ I would have bought that record at first sight of the album cover.

Swedish stoner rock...

Witchcraft - Samaritan Burden

Kelt

Glad there's a couple of top lads who appreciate The Roses... :)

I'm a bit of a fan of classical instruments used in modern music, which is why I think you'll find this one top of my list of road musics for when I'm travelling.  This also happens to be one of those tunes where the video enhances the sounds. Just let the quality wash over you ;)

http://youtu.be/1lyu1KKwC74

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Kelt on January 19, 2015, 10:42:00 PM
Glad there's a couple of top lads who appreciate The Roses... :)

I'm a bit of a fan of classical instruments used in modern music, which is why I think you'll find this one top of my list of road musics for when I'm travelling.  This also happens to be one of those tunes where the video enhances the sounds. Just let the quality wash over you ;)

http://youtu.be/1lyu1KKwC74

Somewhat disgustingly Jagger/Richards get The Verve's royalties because a court ruled they lifted too much of this...

http://youtu.be/MKC5cdGBY04

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on January 19, 2015, 12:56:39 PM
^^ I would have bought that record at first sight of the album cover.

Swedish stoner rock...

Witchcraft - Samaritan Burden

That album cover from Dust was one of Frank Frazetta's first(1972) and would be oft imitated years later...though nobody bought Dust's album(Marc Bell before he was Marky Ramone)

This Witchcraft track was quite good...

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 18, 2015, 01:35:41 AM

Indeed, I think it's the best album of 1989...edging out Milli Vanilli, of course!

Unrelated, but the Black Crowes broke up...again...saw them 4 times between 1991-99 and liked them quite a bit, but their audience was increasingly insufferable. The last two times were full of Deadhead types looking for a new "vibe", the same doofuses who ruined Gov't Mule shows of the era.
Another great first album. Brings back great memories of camping in northern Ontario with my girlfriend (wife now), listening to it on a boom box by the campfire, playing Euchre, drinking Labatt Blue.  Can't hear "She Talks to Angels" without thinking of how young we were.

Fuck, now I feel old. That was 1989, right?

Kelt

Aside from anything else, Bittersweet Symphony is the greater tune of the two... but speaking of Jagger, and since I'm on a kick for British 90s music I'll pose the question.... what do you get when Keanu Reeves channels Mick Jagger and Black Gospel?

I'd argue that while Stone Roses was outstanding, Screamadelica is the winner.

http://youtu.be/aKFYtUJFYVE

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on January 19, 2015, 10:57:18 PM
Another great first album. Brings back great memories of camping in northern Ontario with my girlfriend (wife now), listening to it on a boom box by the campfire, playing Euchre, drinking Labatt Blue.  Can't hear "She Talks to Angels" without thinking of how young we were.

Fuck, now I feel old. That was 1989, right?

The album was released 25 years ago next week and pretty much a radio standard for all of 1990-91. I was 14 and my horrific peers were listening to MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice and calling me a "hick" for liking music like The Black Crowes. And a "Satanist" for liking Iron Maiden.

I do laugh at the fact that listening to the Black Crowes in my neighborhood was akin to listening to Can or Klaus Nomi. "Hard to Handle" was on MTV 24/7 and these kids treated it like music for "weirdos".

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 19, 2015, 11:06:29 PM

The album was released 25 years ago next week and pretty much a radio standard for all of 1990-91. I was 14 and my horrific peers were listening to MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice and calling me a "hick" for liking music like The Black Crowes. And a "Satanist" for liking Iron Maiden.

I do laugh at the fact that listening to the Black Crowes in my neighborhood was akin to listening to Can or Klaus Nomi. "Hard to Handle" was on MTV 24/7 and these kids treated it like music for "weirdos".

Young Whipper Snappers.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 19, 2015, 10:48:56 PM
         Somewhat disgustingly Jagger/Richards get The Verve's royalties because a court ruled they lifted too much of this...

Sounds very similar.

Anyone know what happened with the Stairway to Heaven and Taurus lawsuit?

WildCard

Any of you geezers like/remember, Head, Hands & Feet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9mWplLwqBM
"Tryin' To Put Me On" (Live HQ Television Performance On "Beat-Club") | © 1972

Recommend listening to this before watching it. She's pretty in a vulnerable sort of way. And the whole bands got this 50's hipster thing goin' on.
Nataly Dawn -

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 22, 2015, 04:36:27 AM

Anyone know what happened with the Stairway to Heaven and Taurus lawsuit?

Last news seems to be from October when a judge allowed the case to proceed.

Oddly enough, I got into Spirit from READING about Zep. In Hammer of the Gods, it's mentioned how a fledgling Zep in 68/69 used to play "Fresh Garbage" in their set and how Page/Plant were fans of Spirit.

analog kid

Quote from: WildCard on January 22, 2015, 10:39:21 AM
Any of you geezers like/remember, Head, Hands & Feet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9mWplLwqBM
"Tryin' To Put Me On" (Live HQ Television Performance On "Beat-Club") | © 1972

Remove the s in https for it to imbed.

HEADS HANDS & FEET - "Tryin' To Put Me On" (Live HQ Television Performance On "Beat-Club") | Ã,© 1972

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on January 22, 2015, 02:45:27 PM
Banned video that never aired.

VH1 Classic airs it nowadays, but it was indeed hardly seen back then. V66 in Boston aired it, because they basically viewed themselves as the anti-MTV. And MTV were ridiculous in how easily they banned videos, or banished them to overnights. Alice in Chains "Rooster" is aired constantly on VH1 Classic, but in 1993 it was verboten by MTV.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 22, 2015, 03:10:25 PM
   VH1 Classic airs it nowadays, but it was indeed hardly seen back then. V66 in Boston aired it, because they basically viewed themselves as the anti-MTV. And MTV were ridiculous in how easily they banned videos, or banished them to overnights. Alice in Chains "Rooster" is aired constantly on VH1 Classic, but in 1993 it was verboten by MTV.

Interesting. The BOC video is pretty quaint. From what I remember they weren't much for metal either.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on January 23, 2015, 12:19:07 PM
Interesting. The BOC video is pretty quaint. From what I remember they weren't much for metal either.

There's very little in that video to warrant a ban. MTV was far more likely to air Quarterflash or The Go Go's than a hard rock/metal act. Quiet Riot's success changed that a bit, as the greedheads at MTV jumped on the bandwagon. The heaviest video I remember MTV airing with any regularity in 83/84 was Accept's "Balls to the Wall".

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 23, 2015, 08:53:33 PM

There's very little in that video to warrant a ban. MTV was far more likely to air Quarterflash or The Go Go's than a hard rock/metal act. Quiet Riot's success changed that a bit, as the greedheads at MTV jumped on the bandwagon. The heaviest video I remember MTV airing with any regularity in 83/84 was Accept's "Balls to the Wall".

Yeah, but metal was so rare on MTV we were happy to get Accept. It was that one and "Midnight Mover." Super cheesetastic.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on January 26, 2015, 02:51:02 AM
Yeah, but metal was so rare on MTV we were happy to get Accept. It was that one and "Midnight Mover." Super cheesetastic.

I wonder how many epileptics perished from seeing "Midnight Mover".

Kelt

The song that kicked off my daily run for about a year... one of Britain's most underrated bands.

http://youtu.be/htbQ_FY8EeQ

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 27, 2015, 01:26:45 PM
    I wonder how many epileptics perished from seeing "Midnight Mover".

That crotch cam. That and the singer looked like a menopausal German woman after a hormone therapy mishap.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on January 27, 2015, 04:01:00 PM
That crotch cam. That and the singer looked like a menopausal German woman after a hormone therapy mishap.

Funny you mention that, because in 1987-88 we had a gym teacher who looked just like him. The female teacher(presumably) had me stumped for the first few months "Who the fuck does she remind me of?"...and then it finally hit me "She's Udo from Accept!"

I mentioned to others, but they'd already forgotten Accept or never knew them all. It became my in-joke.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 27, 2015, 06:12:41 PM

Funny you mention that, because in 1987-88 we had a gym teacher who looked just like him. The female teacher(presumably) had me stumped for the first few months "Who the fuck does she remind me of?"...and then it finally hit me "She's Udo from Accept!"

I mentioned to others, but they'd already forgotten Accept or never knew them all. It became my in-joke.

Haha, Udo.

WildCard

Quote from: pate on January 28, 2015, 05:36:32 AM
(Embedding disabled, limit reached)

That's what you get for posting 10 hour videos. Not cool.

10 hours of Nothing