• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michio Kaku

Started by Silent, December 30, 2010, 07:07:07 PM

Nucky Nolan

Let's compare and contrast tonight's guests on the two shows. Kaku talks about red giants. Quayle talks about "real" giants. What a great mental workout tonight.

Sardondi

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on September 16, 2013, 10:56:10 PMLet's compare and contrast tonight's guests on the two shows. Kaku talks about red giants. Quayle talks about "real" giants. What a great mental workout tonight.
That's what I call covering all the bases.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on September 16, 2013, 11:10:27 PM
That's what I call covering all the bases.

Quayle is doing the same* with giants, the Illuminati, End Times, and cannibals. Most of us learned a thing or two from Kaku tonight (twin electrons = blown mind, for starters). I'm surprised that he didn't mention the Nephilim, though.

*Curiosity got the best of me, so I listened for a short while. What a gigantic difference! It's like going from a five-star restaurant to a greasy spoon that was condemned by the Board of Health. It really makes you appreciate the return of Art Bell and blessed sanity. I'm happy for the old-timers, who are way more invested than I am.

ziznak

i did the compare and contrast thing too.  C2C faded into the background with Quayles rambling and Snore-boy's meaningless agreements.  I liked hearing kaku speak on some different subjects tonight though.  Art seemed to steer him all over the place and kaku seemed to know some shit about everything.

Have any of you heard Gregg "Opie" Hughes accounts of his run ins with kaku in the street and around the building he lives in?  funny stuff.

A local radio station has Kaku's radio program on Sunday nights. It is 3 hours. It is sometimes amazing how he fields his open lines. He definitely has a wide knowledge base.

ziznak

this aint yer momma's kaku

Northcoaster

That's crazy about the dark matter going straight down to the opposite side of the earth, then coming back and bouncing back and forth. Some crazy shit.

Quote from: Northcoaster on September 17, 2013, 06:44:05 PM
That's crazy about the dark matter going straight down to the opposite side of the earth, then coming back and bouncing back and forth. Some crazy shit.

Imagine the Earth were solid, and you drilled a hole straight through it. The ball would 'orbit' through the center of the Earth in exactly the same way, coming out one side of the hole to a certain height, then fall back through again and oscillate through the center of the Earth. This happens for DM naturally because it doesn't interact with normal matter, but there's nothing unique about the orbit that it would take. Such orbits are not unique to DM and have been known for quite a long time.

Northcoaster

Quote from: Agent : Orange on September 17, 2013, 07:11:10 PM
Imagine the Earth were solid, and you drilled a hole straight through it. The ball would 'orbit' through the center of the Earth in exactly the same way, coming out one side of the hole to a certain height, then fall back through again and oscillate through the center of the Earth. This happens for DM naturally because it doesn't interact with normal matter, but there's nothing unique about the orbit that it would take. Such orbits are not unique to DM and have been known for quite a long time.

Yeah, I suppose the center of gravity at the center of the earth causes the oscillation. I find it interesting that dark matter only has to obey the rules of gravity, and apparently no other physics.

Quote from: Northcoaster on September 17, 2013, 07:23:43 PM
Yeah, I suppose the center of gravity at the center of the earth causes the oscillation. I find it interesting that dark matter only has to obey the rules of gravity, and apparently no other physics.

The physics of an object orbiting through the Earth is exactly like a harmonic oscillator, which causes the particle to move periodically as if it is connected by a spring to the center of the planet.

Or it could be that our understanding of gravity is far off from reality and an appropriate modification of the laws will produce an effect that looks like a lot more matter is congregated around large structures, explaining the observations without using any dark matter. However, many separate and independent lines of inquiry seem to be converging on a dark matter particle so hopefully one is discovered soon.

b_dubb

Time for a ridiculous supposition: could DM represent a binary alternate universe comprised solely of DM?

Quote from: b_dubb on September 18, 2013, 09:08:08 AM
Time for a ridiculous supposition: could DM represent a binary alternate universe comprised solely of DM?

One that interacts with us only through gravity. Yes. There could be dark protons, dark electrons, and a whole zoo of dark particles.

http://www.space.com/21508-dark-matter-atoms-disks.html

The problem is it's very difficult to get dark matter to clump since there's no way for dark matter to radiate (ie, it's DARK, it doesn't emit any light). So the dark matter temperature remains fairly constant. But, if there's dark electromagnetism then it may be able to radiate and form more complicated structures but we never notice.

None of this really *adds* anything to our understanding of dark matter so it really isn't considered much. But I still have at least one friend who is convinced, and maybe more that are too conservative to admit it :)

I hate to admit it, but whenever I think of Michio Kaku I think of Jim Norton's joke about him he'd do on O&A.

O&A - Jimmy Hates Michio Kaku

ziznak

heh I thought it was opie who lived in the same building.  Jimmy is the shit!

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!????"

I'd love to hear michio speak on torsion physics :)

Falkie2013

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on September 17, 2013, 08:45:30 AM
A local radio station has Kaku's radio program on Sunday nights. It is 3 hours. It is sometimes amazing how he fields his open lines. He definitely has a wide knowledge base.

I was watching a science show about the Big Bang, string theory, the 11th dimension and suddenly they have a very short clip of Kaku ice skating in a circle !

Physicists on ice. Broke me up.

Then they had a female NASA scientist/geologist who was climbing a rock wall and then a real one.

But the Kaku one made me think that Sagan or Einstein wouldn't have ice skated would they ?
Though I'm not certain about Einstein. He did have a strange sense of humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRaDSWzYsag

ItsOver

Reminds me of the first Dark Matter show with Kaku.  That was a classic.  Little did we know that disappointment was just around the corner.  :(

Falkie2013

Quote from: ItsOver on January 22, 2014, 09:09:59 AM
Reminds me of the first Dark Matter show with Kaku.  That was a classic.  Little did we know that disappointment was just around the corner.  :(

Somewhere in one of those dimensions, AB never quit. Perhaps he never quit both shows. Now wouldn't that be interesting. Radio and the satellite with 2 different shows each nite.
And Noory was never hatched.
Noory reminds me of that buzzard in Broom Hilda but a billion, billion, billion times worse.
I could see Noory doing a story on the cartoon below too.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

steelbot

Quote from: ItsOver on January 22, 2014, 09:09:59 AM
Had we known, I wont speak for everyone, but I gather I would have still listened.

zeebo

Quote from: steelbot on January 22, 2014, 11:34:12 PM
Had we known, I wont speak for everyone, but I gather I would have still listened.

Yeah what a great night - and it's enshrined here on the first of far too few DM threads.  MK seemed genuinely happy to be Art's first guest, and I thought it would be just the first of many future appearances.

Juan Cena

Called in last night and got through to Dr. Kaku. I was the one that asked him about 3-D printing/modeling. I'm pretty sure George didn't know WTF I was talking about.

b_dubb

Quote from: Juan Cena on February 27, 2014, 01:46:09 AM
Called in last night and got through to Dr. Kaku. I was the one that asked him about 3-D printing/modeling. I'm pretty sure George didn't know WTF I was talking about.
I'm sure Noory was quietly wondering to himself if you could do 3d printing/modeling with pizza roles

albrecht

Kaku seemed a little koo-koo to me on that show, but it could be the host's questions. But some of his claims seemed to not to match the actual stories, at least as reported in the papers. Yes, some amazing, amazing progress in MRI and brain research, but "proving" Freud was right? It doesn't take a Freudian analysis to understand that much, if not most, of our actions are "unconscious". Science has known that for decades. Unless your a yogi most people don't need to think, consciously, to breathe, regulate their heart, and countless physical and mental actions and calculations. But this doesn't prove that everybody wants to kill their father and have sex with their mother or is anally fixated!
One question I wish the host, or a caller, would've asked him is the future of possible cold fusion, or safe fusion, using this new "super" laser they have invented. That would really be great for society and change a lot of things.

area51drone

In the last gabcast or was it the spec sheet, I don't remember, MV started laughing for no apparent reason when they were talking about Kaku, and it made me wonder if he was recalling the image in his head.  I hope it is seared in every bell-gabber's mind whenever he makes a radio appearance!

coaster

I recently purchased Kaku's "Physics Of The Impossible", and I plan on buying his new book. Kaku might be out there, but I can't get enough of him or Brian Greene. I find it incredibly fascinating. Check out Greene's "The Elegant Universe" too. Fun reads.

Catsmile

Quote from: coaster on March 07, 2014, 01:07:40 AM
I recently purchased Kaku's "Physics Of The Impossible", and I plan on buying his new book. Kaku might be out there, but I can't get enough of him or Brian Greene. I find it incredibly fascinating. Check out Greene's "The Elegant Universe" too. Fun reads.

Nova aired 3 programs with Brian Greene about The Elegant Universe.
See link below to watch the episodes.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/elegant-universe.html

rzr1911

http://youtu.be/qtTYSzPS0YE
Mark doesn't like Bukkaku. Says he's a Transhumanist kook.

Quote from: area51drone on February 27, 2014, 11:31:40 AM
This thread would not be complete without...

FYI MV said on gabcast he deleted the image before on the site to keep it semi- work safe.