A Vulcan
97 (39.6%)
Hank's Japanese half-brother, "Junichero," in King of the Hill eps. 6ABE20-21  
57 (23.3%)
A stoner sufer named "Tracker," who mentored Sean Penn & Keanu Reeves
47 (19.2%)
Frankenstein's Monster
102 (41.6%)
One of those faces on the Sgt. Pepper album (2nd row from the top. Face #5)
66 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

paladin1991

Quote from: eddie dean on August 07, 2014, 01:26:03 PM
Anybody who tries this hard to be cool, isn't.
[attachimg=1]
I'm with you Eddie.  If you gotta work at it...it ain't working.

Gd5150

Quote from: eddie dean on August 07, 2014, 01:26:03 PM
Anybody who tries this hard to be cool, isn't.
[attachimg=1]

If we could only verify if he were in a pair of skinny jeans and using this weeks new Samsung phone, then we'd know for sure how hard he was tryin. I say no therefore he is the Anthony Bordain of Internet radio.

From John B. Wells' latest message:

"The Caravan to Midnight is becoming longer and stronger, and it is all thanks to you. The combined force of information emanating from the Ark Midnight to the Caravaners is now being disseminated world wide."

Is it just me, or does that sound like a testimonial for a male enhancement product?

I used to see a lot of people defending Wells on here.  Have they now seen the truth about him, or just got tired of arguing?

Dateline

I hope I did this right.  This is not my post, but I read it today and it is an interesting take on the replacement of John B. by Premiere.  I did not include the whole posting, but a snippet.  If you are interested in the story, I would recommend reading the entire blog. 
Episode 63: On The Caravan To Midnight

Posted by Damien V. Cross on 09/08/2014   
Rate This

For some, this will be old news. Awhile back I tossed in my buck-oh-five on the expulsion of John B. Wells from the Coast To Coast AM lineup of hosts. I wouldn’t fault George Noory for that because I’m certain he didn’t have a hand in it but Premier Radio Networks, yeah that lies well inside your vicinity.

Not only that but for Premier Radio Network, I have to say that, as a customer, I am of the opinion that this mistake will come back to bite you in the ass. No, I’m not approaching this thing diplomatically because, to be honest, I have no vested interest in Premier and my money can go at any time. So why do I say that it was a big mistake? Very Simple. You’ve let the leash off. For the same thirty bucks every six months I can listen to Wells give me his unfiltered take on what’s going on around us all. I don’t have to listen to some watered-down version that Premier thinks is good business for me to hear.

Ladies and gentlemen, we make no bones about saying we’re grown up, mature adults and then we completely fail to act in that manner. How? Well let’s go back to Premier Radio Networks’ practices. You see, as an individual listener who is over the age of eighteen, lives on his own and pays bills, I listen to things on the radio all the time. I’ll fire up my little crank radio sometimes just to hear what’s on out there and I hear things that offend me all the time. I hear plenty of things I find objectionable. I heard nothing in shows hosted by John B. Wells that I found objectionable or offensive. So if I hear things that offend me and things that I find objectionable, what do I do about it? Nothing. Nothing at all. Okay well I change the channel or find something else to do. What I don’t do is start crying to the FCC like a whiny little bitch that something hurt my feelings.. . . (Only a portion of the blog posting.  Read the rest at the blog site.) 

Gd5150

When Wells first came along he captured a sound that reminded me of Art Bell and the way Coast to Coast is supposed to sound. Dark, mysterious, engaging.

The new hosts are Premier's attempt at bringing in people even more boring and vanilla than Noory. They've succeeded. I was a paying member of C2C at least 5 years and now I only listen maybe once every few months and thats only when Knapp is on with someone interesting.

The corporation that owns C2C had nothing to do with establishing or building the program. They will continue to run it into the ground until it no longer exists and then we will get reruns of that days political or sports talk radio. Fortunately we have podcasts to choose from that cover topics of interest in ways that are interesting.

This is the perfect snapshot of how corporate america is destroying our economy and the country. They are responsible for none of the greatness and rape the system until its financially dry. Big unions and big government are no different, accept they have a better monopoly and are much more difficult to get rid of.

Dateline

I look up it as one flavor satisfies the taste of all.  In this case it is vanilla.

I like hot fudge with whipped cream and cherry, or some exotic seasoning.  No, turmeric, is not sufficient.

They want to homogenize all of us.  It may be cheap and easy, but I want something more. 

Quote from: Gd5150 on August 10, 2014, 03:18:46 PM
When Wells first came along he captured a sound that reminded me of Art Bell and the way Coast to Coast is supposed to sound. Dark, mysterious, engaging..

Too bad the similarities didn't extend to the cerebral cortex.

RedMichael

Wells has a radio voice. A pack-a-day radio voice of someone you might talk to at a highway diner somewhere (back when smoking was allowed). Art Bell had this too.

So you heard these voices before. At work, or really at a diner, at a bar. So it brings some sort of authenticity (although it really shouldn't, considering the subject matter).

It ended there. Wells had no narrative, was unable to shape an interview or direct one, could not keep guests on topic or even coherent often times. He was lazy. He didn't pursue a tough question or fish for that interesting anecdote when it was obvious the guest was hinting at one. Often times he'd just let the guest ramble but it never felt like he was "letting them tell their story", it was more like he was just lazy and sat there...often they would just ramble about nothing...spiral out of control and we are not listening to a talk show but some poor guy at a corner somewhere who is mentally ill and trying to talk to you. The damning point of this IS there would not be any acknowledgement of anything he just heard OR even any of those "oh?" "yup" "mmhmm" "wows" or other noises in the background while a person was talking.

He came off as condescending but it became apparent he was so unknowledgeable about most things that it was cringe worthy. Mixed in with the same old quips of firing a shotgun out the back door or an insultingly bad UK accent (I think...) you began to wonder if this man thought himself more than he was...even though no one really knew who he was as he had no radio credentials.

Finally...Cravan (sic)to Midnight. I am not talking about his podcast. I am talking about his survivalist shop. It used to sell everything a "bugout" person would want. Which was worrisome as there is a point of taking things too far, using someones fears/worries as a means to profit....BUT he didn't mention it on the first shows I heard. Then his shows would have guests who made the products or were in a field that his products were related to. Of course the show was about an incredible danger that his site had the magic cure to. When it hit me that he was just using his weekly show to peddle wares on his site...it was kind of disgusting. Every show does this but when I look at everything else I mentioned...it came off as not a guy doing a radio show that has sponsors or promoting this or that, but a show that Wells was building around his website. Can you imagine how pissed premiere would/should have been when they figured it out too? I remember his shop stopped selling the majority of stuff towards the end...maybe those things didn't get a very high cut for him...but the peddling continued.

So we have:
A guy with no real radio credentials except for some vague drive-time radio show decades ago (no dates given).
Acting like a personal expert on most topics (but with no insight to how or why...shit, even Snoory can at least play the card that he has been in the business long enough to become educated to a slight extent).
Who has no talent, whatsoever, at directing/conducting/researching an interview.
Is lazy with a great resume of not sticking with anything he ever did for very long.
Is condescending and treats his listeners like buffoons (note his cryptic bs stealth mode excuse recently).
Already thought he was more than he was when he started C2C but his ego inflated to the point that he tried to go his own way.
Did not build a show around interesting interviews...built shows around topics relating to products he sold and sometimes around the products themselves.

BUT he has a nice radio voice.

Quote from: RedMichael on August 10, 2014, 08:39:03 PM
Wells has a radio voice. A pack-a-day radio voice of someone you might talk to at a highway diner somewhere (back when smoking was allowed). Art Bell had this too.

So you heard these voices before. At work, or really at a diner, at a bar. So it brings some sort of authenticity (although it really shouldn't, considering the subject matter).

It ended there. Wells had no narrative, was unable to shape an interview or direct one, could not keep guests on topic or even coherent often times. He was lazy. He didn't pursue a tough question or fish for that interesting anecdote when it was obvious the guest was hinting at one. Often times he'd just let the guest ramble but it never felt like he was "letting them tell their story", it was more like he was just lazy and sat there...often they would just ramble about nothing...spiral out of control and we are not listening to a talk show but some poor guy at a corner somewhere who is mentally ill and trying to talk to you. The damning point of this IS there would not be any acknowledgement of anything he just heard OR even any of those "oh?" "yup" "mmhmm" "wows" or other noises in the background while a person was talking.

He came off as condescending but it became apparent he was so unknowledgeable about most things that it was cringe worthy. Mixed in with the same old quips of firing a shotgun out the back door or an insultingly bad UK accent (I think...) you began to wonder if this man thought himself more than he was...even though no one really knew who he was as he had no radio credentials.

Finally...Cravan (sic)to Midnight. I am not talking about his podcast. I am talking about his survivalist shop. It used to sell everything a "bugout" person would want. Which was worrisome as there is a point of taking things too far, using someones fears/worries as a means to profit....BUT he didn't mention it on the first shows I heard. Then his shows would have guests of people who made the products or were in a field that one of his products were related to. Of course the show was about a incredible danger that his site had the magic cure. When it hit me that he was just using his weekly show to peddle wares on his site...it was kind of disgusting. Every show does this but when I look at everything else I mentioned...it came off as not a guy doing a radio show that has sponsors or promoting this or that, but a show that Wells was building around his website. Can you imagine how pissed premier would/should have been when they figured it out too? I remember his shop stopped selling the majority of stuff towards the end...maybe those things didn't get a very high cut for him...but the peddling continued.

So we have:
A guy with no real radio credentials except for some vague drive-time radio show decades ago (no dates given).
Acting like a personal expert on most topics (but with no insight to how or why...shit, even Snoory can at least play the card that he has been in the business long enough to become educated to a slight extent).
Who has no talent, whatsoever, at directing/conducting/researching an interview.
Is lazy with a great resume of not sticking with anything he ever did for very long.
Is condescending and treats his listeners like buffoons (note his cryptic bs stealth mode excuse recently).
Already thought he was more than he was when he started C2C but his ego inflated to the point that he tried to go his own way.
Did not build a show around interesting interviews...built shows around topics relating to products he sold and sometimes around the products themselves.

BUT he has a nice radio voice.

Well said, sir!  Bravo!

RedMichael

I also forgot.

Bell might have spoke of things he knew but he never came off as "an expert in everything." Huge difference when listening to an interview. He was discovering things from the interview for you and with you.

Quote from: RedMichael on August 10, 2014, 09:00:24 PM
I also forgot.

Bell might have spoke of things he knew but he never came off as "an expert in everything." Huge difference when listening to an interview. He was discovering things from the interview for you and with you.

Art also didn't regularly interrupt the show to smugly express his personal opinions in long, rambling soliloquies that had nothing to do with the night's topics.  C2C should be about the guests, and there's no place for nightly editorializing from the hosts. 

b_dubb

I suspect the problem is that John Be Wells has confused his hair coloring treatment with his laxatives.  That would explain the diarrhea of the mouth and the brain damage.

Wintermute

When John B Wells took over a couple spots on C2C, I didn't know who he was. After a little research I found that he didn't have much talk radio experience so I wondered why C2C had a rookie at the helm.

I am not as big of a hater as most. Wells has some redeeming qualities. I don't think Caravan To Midnight is terrible at all. The bar for quality out in podcast land is pretty low and I'd put Well's show in the top half of whatever. He does a fine job in the genre... which is to say he is good at herding crackpots and making the show seem "underground".

As most people have stated, Wells doesn't seem to have a deep understanding of anything. To which I retort, does any talk radio host? Not really otherwise they wouldn't be in talk radio... they would be working in those topical areas. In a way, it's not the job of the host to be an expert.

So what does a host need to do?
** Guide the conversation.
** Ask questions the audience wants to know the answers to.
** Be professional yet entertaining.

Lets not pretend that Art Bell was any more prepared for his interviews on Dark Matter than Wells or Norry. Some of those interviews were horrible. His first interview with Kaku on Dark Matter was beyond bad. So even though Wells is lacking... look at the entirety of the hosts in the genre. He's not bad in comparison... which is probably why C2C gave a rookie a shot.

ShayP

JBW's site has deleted the forum (where you can post...like this one  ;)) and instructed people to post on Facebook.  He still has his webpage though.
Trust me when I say the forum was filled with the most awful people.  Some were reasonable. A lot were nice.   Most were extremists.  It was un-moderated, and even though there was a cry for that....the extremists didn't like their freedom of speech being capped.  Of course it's okay to flame an elderly lady, or a cancer patient, or wish someone to die, or threaten a person, or have a gang mentality to someone who disagrees.  Of course! *sigh*
JBW's "Freedom of Speech" forum turned into a snake pit.  Maybe it will reinvent itself, but I doubt it.  I feel bad for the people that just wanted to join in the conversation without being virtually mutilated by some radical's view.  Oh well.

RedMichael

It got closed because he couldn't afford it. My source? Common sense.

ShayP

Quote from: RedMichael on September 09, 2014, 09:57:25 PM
It got closed because he couldn't afford it. My source? Common sense.

Could be.  That's a possible scenario; but the forum is part of the website's software.  He still has the site.  Regardless...it needed to be closed for lack or moderation.

cweb

Maybe he knew his site just couldn't compete with "something-gab."  ;D

Shortly before Wells got the boot from Coast, I emailed him and put in the email "New info about Bengazi!" or something like that to get his attention, then I proceded to rip him a new one in the body of the email. I told him he panders to ignorant, uneducated extreme right-wingers, and that it is shameful for him to put guests on saying Sandy Hook never happened, and that it's an insult to the memory of all those children, all in the name of stirring up nutcases to get more ratings. I also told him he's an ignorant douchebag, and that he should have stayed in Fort Worth Texas, his birthplace, because his kind of stupid crap might fly in Fort Worth, but it doesn't fly in the rest of the country.

Well, that got his attention, lol. He emailed me back with a pathetic comeback, that was laughable. Something like "You don't seem too smart there guy, you should stop drinking the kool-aid." Or something to that effect. What an idiot. 

I really couldn't stand this guy. Glad to see him kicked.

Gd5150

Quote from: Jorch Einstein on September 11, 2014, 12:46:22 PM
Shortly before Wells got the boot from Coast, I emailed him and put in the email "New info about Bengazi!" or something like that to get his attention, then I proceded to rip him a new one in the body of the email. I told him he panders to ignorant, uneducated extreme right-wingers, and that it is shameful for him to put guests on saying Sandy Hook never happened, and that it's an insult to the memory of all those children, all in the name of stirring up nutcases to get more ratings. I also told him he's an ignorant douchebag, and that he should have stayed in Fort Worth Texas, his birthplace, because his kind of stupid crap might fly in Fort Worth, but it doesn't fly in the rest of the country.

Well, that got his attention, lol. He emailed me back with a pathetic comeback, that was laughable. Something like "You don't seem too smart there guy, you should stop drinking the kool-aid." Or something to that effect. What an idiot. 

I really couldn't stand this guy. Glad to see him kicked.

That's a really great story. You're probably the reason they fired him.

How did you know? You're a heck of a smart guy! Jorch emailed me and said they fired him for that very reason. He said it was a tough call though, because there are so many addlebrained right-wing nincompoops who listen to the show, that it might cause a collapse in ratings.

Oooh GD5150. Must have hit a nerve there buddy. I see by your other posts you're one of those right-wing pudwanks. Well, you can still jizz all over your autographed picture of Wells every night even if he isn't on Coast anymore.

By the by GD5150, is that your handle because you've been put on an involuntary psychiatric hold before? That's what 5150 means. Must have hit another nerve with the right-wing wacko comments. Sorry bud.

Hey Jorch Einstein, welcome to the forums.  You know, I've always asked myself what amazing things Jorch Einstein could do if he had a computer.

Thanks for the welcome. I think Jorch has a computer. He plays Solitaire during the show doesn't he? And every ten minutes are so he'll say "Could it be an angel?" "Yes, that's true." or "Something is going on here."

ShayP

The CTM Forum is back.  Hmmm.....still no Mod though.

Quote from: Jorch Einstein on September 11, 2014, 04:13:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I think Jorch has a computer. He plays Solitaire during the show doesn't he? And every ten minutes are so he'll say "Could it be an angel?" "Yes, that's true." or "Something is going on here."

Well, there's no doubt about that.

I just found out they got rid of John B Smells in February. Funny stuff. I thought he sucked hard. Another half-baked RW conspiracy nut. Man, radio doesn't have enough of those, dude.

Quote from: TaoOfLuxLisbon on September 23, 2014, 09:07:31 PM
I just found out they got rid of John B Smells in February. Funny stuff. I thought he sucked hard. Another half-baked conspiracy nut.

If you think that's funny, wait until you see what John B. Wells has posted on his site about it.

caravantomidnight.com/john-b-wells-fired-coast-coast-popular-truthful-exclusive-interview/

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 23, 2014, 09:15:35 PM
If you think that's funny, wait until you see what John B. Wells has posted on his site about it.

caravantomidnight.com/john-b-wells-fired-coast-coast-popular-truthful-exclusive-interview/

Oh, yeah, that's what I stumbled across while trying to find out what led to him getting canned, except not on his site per se. It wasn't until halfway through I realized HE BLEEPING WROTE IT. Guy was a total con artist.

Quote from: TaoOfLuxLisbon on September 23, 2014, 09:19:17 PM
Oh, yeah, that's what I stumbled across while trying to find out what led to him getting canned, except not on his site per se. It wasn't until halfway through I realized HE BLEEPING WROTE IT. Guy was a total con artist.

Hah!  I didn't even catch on to that.  I just wondered how it could have been called an interview.