A Vulcan
97 (39.6%)
Hank's Japanese half-brother, "Junichero," in King of the Hill eps. 6ABE20-21  
57 (23.3%)
A stoner sufer named "Tracker," who mentored Sean Penn & Keanu Reeves
47 (19.2%)
Frankenstein's Monster
102 (41.6%)
One of those faces on the Sgt. Pepper album (2nd row from the top. Face #5)
66 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

Quote from: HorrorReporter on October 14, 2012, 11:28:43 AM
Who listened to the rock n roll show last night? Is it worth hearing since I didn't?

As a hater of John B. Wells with severe prejudice, I listened because I like Bad Company and Jethro Tull. Johnny B. was corrected by his guests numerous times because his fact sheet contained several errors about them. Having said that, I just can't get beyond the fact that Johnny B's questions are/were downright sophomoric. On several occasions, I had to cringe because it was absolutely embarrassing. Case in point: Paul Rodgers was fondly reminiscing about former band mate Paul Kossoff (Free) when Johnny B. piped up and asked to which guitarist he was referring -- after Rodgers mentioned his name no less than 3 times. Rodgers patiently repeated Kossoff's name and then added that he wasn't able to survive the challenges that life had presented him with. Without skipping a beat, Johnny B. said something to the effect that he's sure that Pete Best could relate. Excuse me? Pete Best is still alive -- unlike Paul Kossoff, who died of drug related heart problems while flying from Los Angeles to New York. Furthermore, Pete Best was kicked out of the Beatles by Brian Epstein whereas Free disbanded after their last album flopped.

Fighting the urge to turn the radio off, I was treated to Mountain's Leslie West who has a somewhat pleasant New York accent. The impression that I get is that he is either burned out from drugs or his health problems (diabetes) are beginning to take their toll. Johnny B. did manage to fumble the story of how Jay Z's 99 Problems sampled Billy Squier's The Big Beat and Mountain's Long Red after Mr. West had just explained it to him. The one redeeming thing about the interview was when Leslie West asked Johnny B. if Coast to Coast was the program hosted by George Noory. When Johnny B. told him yes, West went on a hilarious rant about the callers being a few bricks short of a load with all their UFO stories.

I wasn't very impressed with the Jack Casady interview. Nothing stood out for me, so I won't even attempt to recap it.

Ian Anderson, however, was a different story altogether. Johnny B., at one point, began rattling off the names of tracks on a Jethro Tull album I forget the name of right now. Almost in mid-sentence, he realized it wasn't the album that contained Aqualung, so he just dropped that thought and started reciting the track listing from that album (Aqualung) instead. And then it happened: Johnny B. asked Ian Anderson the origin of the lyrics for the title track -- and from that moment forward, Ian Anderson went on a diatribe about homelessness, illegal immigration, sustainable population, childhood prostitution, and the necessity of birth control. And rather than steering the interview back on course, Johnny B. just let Ian Anderson drone on and on about things completely unrelated to the "musical revolution."

My recommendation to you? Listen if you REALLY enjoy the artists interviewed on the program, but don't expect to take very much away from the program in terms of knowledge. In my opinion, the audience would have been better served if Ian Punnett had hosted this particular program.

Eddie Coyle

I agree with the above. I looked foward to this show...and assumed that Wells had a decent grasp of rock knowledge based on the bumper music he tends to play. Well, fuck me for getting way ahead of myself and giving credit before it's due. This show blew.

I only heard the Ian Anderson hour live, I listened to Rodgers and Leslie West portions tonight. The Pete Best analogy with Kossoff(dead at 25) was Noory-esque, and I was in stitches laughing at Wells mindlessness. The guy is an empty vessel.
           I grew up listening to Charles Laquidara on WBCN-Boston have great, albeit discursive, interviews with Ian Anderson and listening to Leslie West as a semi-regular on Howard Stern-both are usually entertaining guests...but need a countering force. Ian likes to talk, and a lazy turd like Wells just let him go on and on, without a hint of navigation. Leslie did sound rather worse for wear, I've heard him sleepwalk through interviews before, and it tends to occur when he realizes he has a zilch on the other end.
           I agree that Punnett or Knapp would have been far better. Wells has now officially become tits on a bull in my eyes.

RedMichael

I seriously think he either: Doesn't like his c2c gig OR doesn't care about his gig.

I think he wants to avoid callers and where snoory will let a crazy guest ramble on (sept fer breks mine yu) because he doesn't have any balls, John is more than happy to let a guest ramble on just because it makes his job easier.

Looking at his credentials he had a brief part time radio hosting stint after college then after decades of doing voice over/announcing he somehow became a guest host on coast to coast. You are busy doing voiceovers/announcing but it is short bursts, not a lot of indepth studying, and probably not a fixed schedule. Even his steady announcing stint for the Craig Kilborn show probably amounted to him hanging out and reading a few lines a couple hours a day with weekends off.

Everything just points to him being lazy and a slacker while having an underachiever personality(yes I say that knowing he has had a lot of success). And yes, I would love to live that life if I could.

I would say Art Bell is a natural and Knapp is all class/professionalism but all of that came from passion, effort, and probably thousands of hours pursuing their passions.

To sum it up: We have a Voice Actor/announcer hosting C2C on Saturdays and it gets overlooked because of Monday-Friday. I would like a radio host or journalist hosting more than 2-3 nights a month.

Quote from: RedMichael on October 15, 2012, 01:21:21 AM
I seriously think he either: Doesn't like his c2c gig OR doesn't care about his gig... Everything just points to him being lazy and a slacker while having an underachiever personality...

Hmmm, who does this sound like.

This is exactly the kind of person that Noory would hire, and the type that thrives in Corporate America - they wouldn't dream of hiring anyone that might outperform them.  And For George, it's really hard to find someone that couldn't outshine him by just showing up.

Sardondi

In spite of the growing antipathy here toward Wells I have been sort of pulling for him, but only from "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" perspective. I assumed that anything which made Wells look good was bad for Noory; gave PremRad some options to Noory; and made Noory's death-grip on the show a little more tenuous. So I've had a more or less benign attitude toward Wells.

But if he blew such a wonderful opportunity as last night, which really needed no more than 15 minutes of Wikipedia reading to be reasonably prepared, well, I guess it hardly matters if Noory or Wells is the host.

Screw 'em both. 

ItsOver

I made it through the first half hour, just due to Paul Rodgers.  Wells put me to sleep after that.  If Wells couldn't make it with this show, he's hopeless.

ManiacMatt

Leslie West's question about GN was funny.  It sounded like he was saying "what's that guy (GN) smoking?"  Then started making fun of the callers.  I didn't record it , so I'm not certain. 

Quote from: ManiacMatt on October 15, 2012, 01:19:01 PM
Leslie West's question about GN was funny.  It sounded like he was saying "what's that guy (GN) smoking?"  Then started making fun of the callers.  I didn't record it , so I'm not certain.

Yes, Leslie West did say something to that effect. He definitely had his moments. Perhaps a better interviewer could have brought more of his humorous nature to the surface.

ShayP

I don't think JBW's show wasn't that bad.  He came across to me as someone in awe, or just a fan.  I actually think Ian Punnett would've done a great job in that forum.  JBW just wanted those guy's to tell a story.  If Noory did that show it would've been awful for sure.

Gerald Celente tonight. Meh.

ziznak

looks like another paranoia show... I'm listening to a roguelike radio podcast... can't suck more than that but the Saturday Night Doom and Gloom fest is now officially on my "always pass" list.

ItsOver

I clicked the radio off after "Somewhere in Time."  Man.... Bell was so good.  And a 16 year old show, at that.  Couldn't put up with the fumbling mothership last night.

Ruteger

"shotgun out the back-door" That is Wells's best answer for any of his guests. He is an idiot - C2C has become a complete joke.

WOTR

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 15, 2012, 12:13:37 AM
         I agree with the above. I looked foward to this show...and assumed that Wells had a decent grasp of rock knowledge based on the bumper music he tends to play. Well, fuck me for getting way ahead of myself and giving credit before it's due. This show blew.
Thank you.  I just read this and it was about the best Monday laugh ever.  The best thing that I can say about Wells is that he makes Noory look like a legend of broadcasting.  I really did want to hear that show and now am happy to have missed it.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: WOTR on October 22, 2012, 11:30:49 PM
Thank you.  I just read this and it was about the best Monday laugh ever.  The best thing that I can say about Wells is that he makes Noory look like a legend of broadcasting.  I really did want to hear that show and now am happy to have missed it.

It's nearly 10 days later and I'm still amazed by how awful it was. We've lowered the bar for him...still it's not enough. I feel like a fool for thinking Wells was capable of delivering the goods for once. I'd only suggest listening out of morbid curiosity.

And you're right, Noory can only benefit from Wells. It's like a bad band picking an even worse opening act.

Meggini

I avoid Wells' shows generally - find him kind of depressing myself and a little strange. But, I listened to the rock-n-roll show.

It was great hearing from the guests (Ian Anderson was less interesting for me but only because he was encouraged to ramble on about current events instead of music) and fairly easy to tune Wells out. I actually want to listen to the show again... It probably wouldn't be worth the effort putting it into Audacity and editing Wells out, would it...? No it wouldn't. Mustn't be obsessive.

ziznak

I just put tonights show on and heard some idiot say "amygdala"... my attention span immediately shrank faster than my genitals in ice water.

jinwicked

Logging into the forum only to, as an obsessive-compulsive atheist, say fuck you John B. Wells and David Ruben.

Morgus

Quote from: jinwicked on October 28, 2012, 02:46:20 AM
Logging into the forum only to, as an obsessive-compulsive atheist
you sound like you are describing yourself exactly like frequent caller Bill from West Hartford, Conn
he is the obsessive-compulsive amateur atheist astronomer  ;D

jinwicked

Well, according to Mr. David Ruben just awhile ago, I don't actually exist. Because I don't know how to *~*believe*~* or something.

I would never waste my time calling into this shitshow, and I never discuss religion unless someone else starts crap with me.

Nebraska888

Wells first guest, Jack Rourke, was great last night.  I thoroughly enjoyed the interview.  His second guest, David Rueben, was a little strange.  (Like when he shot a demon creature that was outside of his bedroom window with his BB gun.)......but, Wells was ok with him as well.

I'll take Wells over Noory ANY NIGHT of the week.

Tonight's program with Knapp looks to be very entertaining!  Knapp rocks!

John Smith

More awful radio Sat night from JBW.The rundown is all familiar,  JBW unprepared and conducting a rambling, referral discussion with a guest that needed to be properly interviewed. Whenever JBW lazily turns the show over to the guest to "have at it", you know it's going to be a rough ride.
What a totally self-absorbed gasbag Rueben was last night.....of-course with plenty of stuff to sell.

Morgus

At least John B. Wells the last couple nights (he also guest hosted for Noory on Friday) had some paranormal topic guests this past weekend - a break from his usual conspiracy/gloom&doom topics.

John Smith

Quote from: John Smith on October 28, 2012, 04:51:41 PM
More awful radio Sat night from JBW.The rundown is all familiar,  JBW unprepared & rambling, having an unfocused free-for-all discussion with his guest. Whenever JBW lazily turns the show over to the guest to "have at it", you know it's going to be a rough ride.

What a totally self-absorbed gasbag Rueben was last night.....of-course with plenty of stuff to sell.

Apologies, auto-correct abused my original post, I should have done a read-through. (Corrected)

Morgus

John B. Wells just said onair that since tonight is the time change from daylight savings to standard time, he is going to extend the live show tonight to 5 hours.
He is having his first guest the Number's Lady on for two hours instead of only one...

Morgus

Wells is stuck on wanting number readings on days coming up.
Glynnis only could think of the 11-11 date, but that was more special last year in 2011 (11-11-11).
The big date this year will be 12-12-12 :D

Wells just said Glynis is only on for 1 hour.

Morgus

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on November 03, 2012, 11:49:45 PM
Wells just said Glynis is only on for 1 hour.
Yeah he learned she could only stay for the first hour.
Wells is expanding the whole show by one hour tonight due to the time change so he must have figured he could add an hour to her segment.
Now he will maybe have his second guest on for four hours instead?

Not sure if I have the stomach for this. That whole mothership spiel makes me want to punch him.

Wells is completely in over his head. With 2 minutes before the break, he couldn't complete one coherent sentence. It sounds to me as if he didn't read the book and as he was thumbing through it on-air, it hit him that he couldn't bluff his way through this interview. Lets see if he can regroup through the break.