• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Quote from: MV on February 28, 2015, 05:06:54 AM
About 20 bucks. Or two British pounds.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on February 28, 2015, 05:24:30 AM
Sure, but that's like a hundred Canadian.

Quote from: jazmunda on February 28, 2015, 06:23:03 AM
And a million Aussie dollars.

It is also equivalent to a googolplex of Radio Shack stock.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 28, 2015, 06:59:42 AM

An English pound is worth one Yorkshire pickled egg (Chicken) and a whole bag of plain flour. That is good value by anyone's standards.Well, anyone other than RGWG; he's an expensive broad.

From the now closed King Tut's Wiener Hut in Kill Devil Hills, NC.

Anubis preparing a hot dog for the afterlife.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 28, 2015, 07:24:07 AM
An English pound is worth one Yorkshire pickled egg (Chicken) and a whole bag of plain flour. That is good value by anyone's standards.Well, anyone other than RGWG; he's an expensive broad.

I'm worth twice my weight in groats, though, so piss off!

I've got two ears and a keyboard-which is everything you need to be funny on this forum.

Quote from: MV on February 28, 2015, 05:06:54 AM
About 20 bucks. Or two British pounds.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on February 28, 2015, 05:24:30 AM
Sure, but that's like a hundred Canadian.

Quote from: jazmunda on February 28, 2015, 06:23:03 AM
And a million Aussie dollars.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 28, 2015, 06:59:42 AM

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 28, 2015, 07:24:07 AM

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 01, 2015, 03:20:04 PM
I'm worth twice my weight in groats, though, so piss off!

I'm waiting patiently for Kate the Bionic Uterus to contribute the Bitcoin conversion for all the above.

Utero, Utero! Wherefore art thou, Utero?

pate

Thar's gold bars in them bars...  er...  Gold?

Yorkshire pud

Our local supermarket is selling  these; I have it on good authority these are less than nice. 70pence is about $1.10

albrecht

I sort of laugh when various new age book stores etc need to have disclaimers and FAQs due to ISIS.
Like:
"Isis Books, Gifts and Healing Oasis was founded almost 35 years ago. We chose the name "Isis" for our store because Isis is the name of the great Egyptian Goddess who has been venerated for thousands of years. She is the Goddess of healing, magic, family, nature and of rebirth. Our mission is to honor world wisdom traditions and help people find the spiritual tools that they need to enrich their lives."

Not ha-ha funny though because I could see some stupid government minion seizing their assets or in jack-boots kicking in their door when the NSA computer data-miner sees the word "ISIS" on their websites or banking statements.

pate

I think I understood this back in the 1890s or so:

12 pence = 1 pound & wtf is a schilling?  or ha' pence?  1 Guinea = 1,000,000 pounds?

I know metric sucks, and I agree that it sucks that metrical stuff, but really?  How does commerce occur in Brittania anyhoot?  Are y'all issued pocket calculators or something when you bow to the Queen/King?  I have always wondered, but it seemed impolite to just spout off and ask, I consider this a somewhat topical segue...

albrecht

Quote from: pate on March 02, 2015, 11:43:28 AM

12 pence = 1 pound & wtf is a schilling?  or ha' pence?  1 Guinea = 1,000,000 pounds?

I know metric sucks, and I agree that it sucks that metrical stuff, but really?  How does commerce occur in Brittania anyhoot?  Are y'all issued pocket calculators or something when you bow to the Queen/King?  I have always wondered, but it seemed impolite to just spout off and ask, I consider this a somewhat topical segue...
The old money system went metric several decades ago. Now it is very easy to understand. Only in older books and movies will you need to know about shillings, ha'penny, guineas, farthings, etc.

Oprah interviews Hitler's ghost!  Turns out he was just misunderstood and wasn't the monster the nefarious history revisionists would have us believe he was.

http://www.tomatobubble.com/id412.html

I just ran across this site, and it appears to be an absolute CT wet dream!  Strap yourselves in and start your imaginations!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: pate on March 02, 2015, 11:43:28 AM

We went metric with money and stuff (although road signage is still miles and yards) in 1971. Until then...12 pennies in a shilling. 20 shillings in a pound. £1 and a shilling is 1 guinea. 240 pennies in one pound. Six pennies in sixpence. Four crowns in one pound. Eight half a crowns in one pound...simples eh?

Metric; 100 pennies in one pound...ten pence is ten one pence pieces. two 50 pence pieces in one pound...five 20 pence pieces in one pound. fifty 2 pence pieces in one pound. Twenty five pence pieces in one pound.

In Kenya they still use the shilling; last time I was there it was about £1 equal 70 Kenyan Shilling. I think they revalued it over the years to save walking around with wheelbarrows full of cash.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on March 02, 2015, 11:34:49 AM
Our local supermarket is selling  these; I have it on good authority these are less than nice. 70pence is about $1.10

I am but a lowly footsoldier in the Great Cadbury-Hershey War of 2015, but that photo makes me inexpressibly sad coming as it does from the land of Dairy Milk and Fruit and Nut bars.  :'(

Can you *accidentally* knock down the display next time you're in?

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 01, 2015, 03:11:15 PM
From the now closed King Tut's Wiener Hut in Kill Devil Hills, NC.

Anubis preparing a hot dog for the afterlife.

Ten minutes on and still laughing. How did such a treasure as this close down?

jazmunda

What Happens When You Cover Your Body In Mentos And Jump In A Bathtub Full Of Coke Zero?

http://youtu.be/2U6Dczl0rdQ

4:22 is when the magic happens.

Kids today are so OTT! In my day it was a handful of Pop Rocks and a mouthful of coke. *waves cane*

wr250

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on March 02, 2015, 09:26:14 PM
Kids today are so OTT! In my day it was a handful of Pop Rocks and a mouthful of coke. *waves cane*

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on March 02, 2015, 01:03:51 PM

We went metric with money and stuff (although road signage is still miles and yards) in 1971. Until then...12 pennies in a shilling. 20 shillings in a pound. £1 and a shilling is 1 guinea. 240 pennies in one pound. Six pennies in sixpence. Four crowns in one pound. Eight half a crowns in one pound...simples eh?

Metric; 100 pennies in one pound...ten pence is ten one pence pieces. two 50 pence pieces in one pound...five 20 pence pieces in one pound. fifty 2 pence pieces in one pound. Twenty five pence pieces in one pound.

In Kenya they still use the shilling; last time I was there it was about £1 equal 70 Kenyan Shilling. I think they revalued it over the years to save walking around with wheelbarrows full of cash.

Jolly good.

Now let's get to work on the clock.  60 minutes to an hour.  Crazy.  24 hours to a day.  Insane.  365 days in most years, 366 days in other years.  Impossible.

We need metric time, assuming no one's fixed it yet.  100 minute hours, 10 hour days, and 100 day years.  So, you know, kids can remember more easily.  Decades would still be 10 years of course, centuries still 100.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on March 02, 2015, 01:03:51 PM

What was the point of a guinea?  How is it that you're not using the Euro?

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 03, 2015, 04:23:55 AM
Jolly good.

Now let's get to work on the clock.  60 minutes to an hour.  Crazy.  24 hours to a day.  Insane.  365 days in most years, 366 days in other years.  Impossible.

We need metric time, assuming no one's fixed it yet.  100 minute hours, 10 hour days, and 100 day years.  So, you know, kids can remember more easily.  Decades would still be 10 years of course, centuries still 100.

Changing the number of days per year is going to be a tough one to crack, but decimal time is a real thing.