• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 16, 2014, 11:15:03 PM
     NBC giving us "James at 52" would be neato.

As my town's most loyal, middle-aged "James" fanboy, I thank you for suddenly making my obsessive devotion to the definitive portrayal of seventies adolescence seem a whole lot less pathetic.  The worst day of my life was when I learned I would never know what James would be like at seventeen or any subsequent age.  I still don't understand why it was canceled.  Didn't the soulless bean counters who made the network programming decisions realize that "James" was more than cold Nielsen numbers and declining advertising revenue?  That a lot of people cared about him and were watching him grow up in our living rooms just like the Nelsons and the Cartwrights?  In many ways I was James (and if I'd had a Black friend, he would have been just like Sly), and I looked forward to vicariously experiencing the rest of my life through his ongoing journey of self discovery and all its attendant triumphs and disappointments. 

However, while the opportunity to continue the series was irresponsibly squandered, your post inspires the hope that there still might be enough interest in James to make it profitable for someone to continue his story in the present day. His missing years could be portrayed with extensive flashbacks, and it's quite possible, assuming his probation officer approves, that Lance Kerwin would be eager to reprise his role as James because he can certainly use the money.  As you can see, while he's matured gracefully, he still radiates the same youthful exuberance and idealism that first endeared him to us.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Kerwin

[attach=1]. [attach=2]

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 17, 2014, 12:53:33 AM
As my town's most loyal, middle-aged "James" fanboy, I thank you for suddenly making my obsessive devotion to the definitive portrayal of seventies adolescence seem a whole lot less pathetic.  The worst day of my life was when I learned I would never know what James would be like at seventeen or any subsequent age.  I still don't understand why it was canceled.  Didn't the soulless bean counters who made the network programming decisions realize that "James" was more than cold Nielsen numbers and declining advertising revenue?  That a lot of people cared about him and were watching him grow up in our living rooms just like the Nelsons and the Cartwrights?  In many ways I was James (and if I'd had a Black friend, he would have been just like Sly), and I looked forward to vicariously experiencing the rest of my life through his ongoing journey of self discovery and all its attendant triumphs and disappointments. 

However, while the opportunity to continue the series was irresponsibly squandered, your post inspires the hope that there still might be enough interest in James to make it profitable for someone to continue his story in the present day. His missing years could be portrayed with extensive flashbacks, and it's quite possible, assuming his probation officer approves, that Lance Kerwin would be eager to reprise his role as James because he can certainly use the money.  As you can see, while he's matured gracefully, he still radiates the same youthful exuberance and idealism that first endeared him to us.

I was only 2 when the series originally aired in 1977-78, but it in late '85 A&E aired the show's run. That was my exposure to it...and I honestly can't recall seeing it anywhere ever since(late winter '86)

The cancellation is blamed on low ratings and a brief bit of "controversy" over the episode where he lost his virginity...and I think the low ratings here are more of a reflection on the viewing public than the show. It was bested by an aging "Hawaii Five O" on CBS and "Barney Miller"/"Carter Country"(ugh) tandem on ABC. On paper, it would appear that "James" would be able to find niche with that competition...but it didn't happen. A recurring tale in TV history.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 16, 2014, 11:15:03 PM
     NBC giving us "James at 52" would be neato.

;D I actually started watching a James at 15 episode yesterday after watching Skyway to Death.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 17, 2014, 03:37:51 PM
;D I actually started watching a James at 15 episode yesterday after watching Skyway to Death.

Skyway to Death!  There was a channel in Worcester,Ma(became HSN affilate in '86, Spanish language in '92) that specialized in TV-movies like that way back when, they pretty much aired every last one made from 1971-79 and claustrophobic "Skyway" was part of their rotation. I imagined it being filmed in a weekend.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 17, 2014, 03:53:40 PM
    Skyway to Death!  There was a channel in Worcester,Ma(became HSN affilate in '86, Spanish language in '92) that specialized in TV-movies like that way back when, they pretty much aired every last one made from 1971-79 and claustrophobic "Skyway" was part of their rotation. I imagined it being filmed in a weekend.

It was a bit of a disappointment. I remember bits of it from when it originally aired when I was a wee lass, but I don't think I saw it again until yesterday.

Act I
I remember the James virginity episode. It was a big deal.

Around this time period I fell in love with Katie Saylor from The Fantastic Journey.

She broke and welded my little mutant heart several times over an all too brief set of ten episodes.

Oh, and there were portals on that show. And Roddy McDowall.  There was even a cool Black guy for Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost. And did I mention Katie Saylor? And every kid I knew wanted to be Ike Eisenmann on that island.

Much much later, my sister would marry a guy that could be the clone of Jared Martin.

Creeped me out.

Act II
To this day I sometimes have a reoccurring dream of discovering a gold mirror- covered skyscraper standing alone in a desert - after my having just passed through one of the "invisible gateways" in the show.  Heaven? I think it is leftover psychic debris created after the abrupt cancellation of the show. Katie couldn't weld that crack back.

Act III
It was also around this time that my current avatar image appeared on the scene and in my brother's record collection. I referred to it as "that album with Pegasus  on it."

Act IV
Due to the Malaysian crash thread today, and James at 15,  etc, a perfect storm of 1977 synchronicity is spinning "in control."

Btw, Ike is 51. If he did a "Return to the Fantastic Journey," it would KILL if produced in the right hands. You must believe me.

epilogue:
Katie Saylor would later be dislodged by an extraordinarily healthy Mindy McConnell and a somewhat worldly Julie Kotter.  I didn't appreciate Julie at first, but at 1975, it was too early.  By 1978...... HELLO.

Somewhere in here it should be mentioned my father obsessively watched MANNIX reruns.

I gotta split.

Watch your wallets and purses. 

Back: Katie Saylor, Roddy McDowall, Carl Franklin
Front: Ike Eisenmann, Jared Martin

BattyBrooke

Quote from: HAL 9000 on July 16, 2014, 10:15:18 PM

One quick thought BB: were you educated in either Canada or the U.K.?

No, I was educated in the United States public school system. Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) is less than dedicated to providing a stellar education though, so most of my love for words was forged through my voracious appetite for reading.

Quote from: BattyBrooke on July 17, 2014, 05:48:01 PM
No, I was educated in the United States public school system. Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) is less than dedicated to providing a stellar education though, so most of my love for words was forged through my voracious appetite for reading.

Obsequious is a word you can use quite often in the Noorysphere, however, I prefer servile toady myself.  Any Alex Jones appearance comes to mind.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on July 17, 2014, 04:13:25 PM
It was a bit of a disappointment. I remember bits of it from when it originally aired when I was a wee lass, but I don't think I saw it again until yesterday.

A premise befitting a 10 minute segment on Night Gallery. As a 90 minute film...a lot of space to fill. Let Irwin Allen handle disaster scenarios.

McPhallus

Quote from: jazmunda on July 16, 2014, 10:37:15 PM
I used the word ubiquitous the other day. I surprised myself and befuddled my colleague.

Use it sparingly.  We don't want ubiquitous to become too ubiquitous.

McPhallus

Quote from: BattyBrooke on July 17, 2014, 05:48:01 PM

Be glad it wasn't stellar.  That guy doesn't seem very well-adjusted.

WildCard

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 17, 2014, 06:08:23 PM
  A premise befitting a 10 minute segment on Night Gallery. As a 90 minute film...a lot of space to fill. Let Irwin Allen handle disaster scenarios.
Ditto. (haha. High Rush) I hope we can get a better candidate than her.

Edit: wrong thread. In the spirit of Gysin's cut-ups I'm leavin it.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 17, 2014, 04:53:13 PM
Act I
I remember the James virginity episode. It was a big deal.

Around this time period I fell in love with Katie Saylor from The Fantastic Journey.

She broke and welded my little mutant heart several times over an all too brief set of ten episodes.

Oh, and there were portals on that show. And Roddy McDowall.  There was even a cool Black guy for Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost.

Every seventies TV show had a White producers' and writers' conception of a cool Black guy, and there was probably a lot of pressure to have the coolest one in prime time, but there was only one Sly.  He was special.  Never forget that.

Speaking of Roddy McDowall, I wouldn't be surprised if he was Sting's uncle, if you catch my meaning and get my drift.

[attachimg=1]. [attachimg=2]

QuoteWatch your wallets and purses.

And watch the skies everywhere!  Keep looking!  Keep watching the skies!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 17, 2014, 10:52:23 PM
Every seventies TV show had a White producers' and writers' conception of a cool Black guy, and there was probably a lot of pressure to have the coolest one in prime time

Ironically, "What's Happening", didn't appear to have any cool black characters.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 17, 2014, 10:55:45 PM
     Ironically, "What's Happening", didn't appear to have any cool black characters.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

wr250

where o where has aldous gone
Why did you leave us here all alone?
we searched the world over,
And thought we found aldous
he met another and
Phht! he was gone.

Eddie Coyle

Facebook is a terrific venue for finding out that girl you longed for in high school and always wondered what became of her...

Actually died in 2008...probably from suicide/accidental OD at 35.

Imconfused

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 18, 2014, 06:24:31 PM
     Facebook is a terrific venue for finding out that girl you longed for in high school and always wondered what became of her...

Actually died in 2008...probably from suicide/accidental OD at 35.

Facebook is a terrific venue for finding out that the creepy guy that was after your ass in high school is still alive and still wondering about your ass.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Imconfused on July 18, 2014, 06:38:49 PM
Facebook is a terrific venue for finding out that the creepy guy that was after your ass in high school is still alive and still wondering about your ass.

Hey, I didn't get creepy until AFTER she knew me. How dare you!

Imconfused

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 18, 2014, 06:41:01 PM
     Hey, I didn't get creepy until AFTER she knew me. How dare you!

ahahaha. 

Very well Sir.  I stand corrected. 

Imconfused

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 21, 2014, 06:53:05 AM
This is just taking the piss.

http://youtu.be/aaEqZQXmx5M

Damn bro,  things for sure changed in Britain since I visited last.

Catsmile

Want to see and hear something random and stupid tonight?

Get in here BellGabbers!
Live GabCast Mon, July 21, 2014, 8PM Eastern - 5PM Western. 
Join BellGabbers in a live chat, as we listen to a new GabCast. http://ufoship.com/chat/

Call the show:  623.242.CAST(2278)

Skype  call: The.GabCast

Eddie Coyle

A serial killer who targeted people, starting by who had the most Twitter followers...would be the greatest serial killer ever.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Imconfused on July 21, 2014, 11:49:45 AM
Damn bro,  things for sure changed in Britain since I visited last.

You should see number 10 downing street:

[attachimg=1]

bateman

Quote from: b_dubb on July 22, 2014, 01:16:30 PM
Is this show about a reunion of classmates that graduated from a "short bus" school?

You think they graduated?