• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Birdie

16-Year-Old Survives Unharmed Stowed Away In Wheel Well Of California To Hawaii Flight, Say FBI Officials
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/21/teen-plane-wheel_n_5183993.html
Holy crap. I do not know the first thing about planes, does this mean he was on the outside of the plane, kind of tucked into a cubby? What about the wheels deploying and retracting for landing and after the take off? How is this even possible? I hate Huffington Post, they never give enough details.

RcCle

I'm pretty sure wheel wells are not pressurized...  Must have been a breathtaking flight!

How the hell did he survive??!

Juan

Col. Tom Parker wouldn't have found Elvis if it hadn't been for Mae Axton.

Little Hater

I just learned this weekend that Cornish Game Hens aren't Cornish, or game birds, or even necessarily hens. They're just regular broiler chickens who are fed a little more heavily (to increase breast size relative to the whole bird) and slaughtered at five weeks of age.

Quote from: Juan on April 21, 2014, 05:16:22 AM
Col. Tom Parker wouldn't have found Elvis if it hadn't been for Mae Axton.

"Colonel" Tom was probably the luckiest carny, illegal immigrant,  army deserter, and all around phony in the history of show business. Granted, he was an exceptionally shrewd businessman and innovative promoter, but he was extremely fortunate he didn't wind up in prison or dead long before he reinvented himself and found success.

Grov505th

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 21, 2014, 12:37:05 PM
I wonder who discovered George Noory

Satan...you know he had to sell his soul to get and keep this gig.

ItsOver

I don't know but would they please take him back to where they found him.

jazmunda

The same guy that discovered the horrible sound that nails make when scratched along the surface of a chalkboard who incidentally was the same guy who discovered that chewing aluminum foil was a bad idea.

bateman

QuoteDid you marry your SO for love or did you just need a stable environment to raise your children and he was the "safe" option?

Now that is a rough question.

Birdie

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/aereo-case-goes-to-supreme-court/2014/04/21/50bbd1e8-c59d-11e3-9f37-7ce307c56815_story.html

I am afraid this case is going to be the beginning of the end of antenna/free TV. I do agree Aereo is violating the copyrights of the networks by charging customers. What worries me is a few years ago, I heard that one of the major networks (Fox, I think) was considering getting rid of their free signal, and if they did so, the other networks would follow suit. I thought the major networks were required by the FCC to provide a free signal? Anything can be challenged in court, and I get the feeling this Aereo case is a testing of the waters and will open the floodgates for legal challenges to all free antenna tv.

What I would really like to see is pay tv where you choose your own channels. When I have cable, I only watch maybe 6-10 channels. There should be packages of pick-your-own channels, in groups of 10. The choices on Hulu, Netflix and Roku are too limited. I want to be able to choose any channel from any network for my package. I am lazy and do not want to hunt around the internet for tv shows. I want a channel guide and I want to be able to surf the channels of my choosing with a remote controller from my couch. It will never happen, especially if the mega monopoly Comcast-Time Warner merger happens. And Time Warner is clinging on to HBO, so that will never be a stand alone service. Sigh. I'd pay $20 a month just for HBO. I read about an HBO-internet combo package being tested in some cities, but the suits at Time Warner were not impressed, so it looks like it won't be going any further than testing. Boo.

We are still using an antenna and I have still been shopping around for pay tv. All the bundle packages are overpriced and include way too many garbage channels. And who the hell uses a landline anymore? I don't want to have to pay $20 a month for a landline I will never use, which will be inundated by telemarketer calls from douchebags who got my number from the company that sold me the landline. It's very frustrating. Sorry I am rambling- I spent a few hours again today calling around to various isp and satellite companies and I feel like banging my head against the wall. At least we have the antenna- for now.

wr250

Quote from: Birdie on April 21, 2014, 04:58:07 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/aereo-case-goes-to-supreme-court/2014/04/21/50bbd1e8-c59d-11e3-9f37-7ce307c56815_story.html

I am afraid this case is going to be the beginning of the end of antenna/free TV. I do agree Aereo is violating the copyrights of the networks by charging customers. What worries me is a few years ago, I heard that one of the major networks (Fox, I think) was considering getting rid of their free signal, and if they did so, the other networks would follow suit. I thought the major networks were required by the FCC to provide a free signal? Anything can be challenged in court, and I get the feeling this Aereo case is a testing of the waters and will open the floodgates for legal challenges to all free antenna tv.

What I would really like to see is pay tv where you choose your own channels. When I have cable, I only watch maybe 6-10 channels. There should be packages of pick-your-own channels, in groups of 10. The choices on Hulu, Netflix and Roku are too limited. I want to be able to choose any channel from any network for my package. I am lazy and do not want to hunt around the internet for tv shows. I want a channel guide and I want to be able to surf the channels of my choosing with a remote controller from my couch. It will never happen, especially if the mega monopoly Comcast-Time Warner merger happens. And Time Warner is clinging on to HBO, so that will never be a stand alone service. Sigh. I'd pay $20 a month just for HBO. I read about an HBO-internet combo package being tested in some cities, but the suits at Time Warner were not impressed, so it looks like it won't be going any further than testing. Boo.

We are still using an antenna and I have still been shopping around for pay tv. All the bundle packages are overpriced and include way too many garbage channels. And who the hell uses a landline anymore? I don't want to have to pay $20 a month for a landline I will never use, which will be inundated by telemarketer calls from douchebags who got my number from the company that sold me the landline. It's very frustrating. Sorry I am rambling- I spent a few hours again today calling around to various isp and satellite companies and I feel like banging my head against the wall. At least we have the antenna- for now.

ive found there is very little on tv id like to watch. most times i just put on my earbuds and stream ufoship or old art bell shows. i think id rather listen to  c2cam with george noory than watch most tv. i know id gleefully listen to noory to noory am than anything on the lifetime network

Quote from: Birdie on April 20, 2014, 11:13:54 PM
16-Year-Old Survives Unharmed Stowed Away In Wheel Well Of California To Hawaii Flight, Say FBI Officials
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/21/teen-plane-wheel_n_5183993.html
Holy crap. I do not know the first thing about planes, does this mean he was on the outside of the plane, kind of tucked into a cubby? What about the wheels deploying and retracting for landing and after the take off? How is this even possible? I hate Huffington Post, they never give enough details.

I have been keeping up with this story since you mentioned it here and on the news today they said the boy went into a "state of hibernation" that allowed him to stay alive for the 6 hour journey.

coaster

What I would really like to see is pay tv where you choose your own channels.
I think they tried to do this but found out many of the networks that no one watches would go bankrupt. I don't see why we have to foot the bill to keep these horrible stations afloat.

ItsOver

Quote from: coaster on April 21, 2014, 06:32:17 PM
I think they tried to do this but found out many of the networks that no one watches would go bankrupt. I don't see why we have to foot the bill to keep these horrible stations afloat.
Hahaha, geesh, and there's a problem with these crap networks going bankrupt, other than for the crap networks?  What, do we need more corporate welfare to support this junk?

I just canned Direct TV because I was tired of paying for hundreds of channels of crap.  I've been very pleased with some select channels I can get for nothing with a simple antennae.  I'd rather take-up needlepoint than go back to subsidizing a bunch of reject networks and their trash shows.

Quote from: coaster on April 21, 2014, 06:32:17 PM

The ones that bother me the most are the shopping networks. They're not going bankrupt for sure, but they're in every package and all they do is take up space that other programming could occupy.

Another option is to just buy the show when it is released on DVD or bluray and then resell it at the end of the month.
As long as you sell within 4 weeks of the initial release, you lose about 25% of the price you paid for the show.
It comes out to roughly $7-12 per season of a show. For $200 you could watch 20 seasons of shows (this would be close to all the premier shows on HBO and AMC). That is roughly the price of two months of cable.

Birdie

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on April 21, 2014, 06:27:32 PM
I have been keeping up with this story since you mentioned it here and on the news today they said the boy went into a "state of hibernation" that allowed him to stay alive for the 6 hour journey.
That is crazy. I wonder how he didn't fall out? Probably just luck.
While I was looking for more info last night, I came across an article about a similar case from 2010. A boy in NC climbed into the wheel well of a flight bound for NY. A couple days after he was reported missing, some college kids came across his badly mangled body in NJ (I think it was NJ). The autopsy report said all his injuries were consistent with falling from a very great height. Investigators found his shoes in another spot along the flight path. How horrible. I hope he was unconscious when he fell and stayed unconscious the entire time, the poor kid.

onan

I have no clue as to how he survived, but hibernation wouldn't have saved his pleural cavity from causing his lungs to collapse.

bigchucka

I wonder if the word rapecest has suddenly appeared on the internet?

area51drone

I have not kept up on it, but I'm curious how high did the plane go?  There are certainly people who climb Everest without oxygen tanks so it is possible to go very high without an oxygen source.

Quote from: Little Hater on April 21, 2014, 11:06:54 AM
I just learned this weekend that Cornish Game Hens aren't Cornish, or game birds, or even necessarily hens. They're just regular broiler chickens who are fed a little more heavily (to increase breast size relative to the whole bird) and slaughtered at five weeks of age.

anything slaughtered at five weeks of age always tastes better. Tasty Babies...  8)

You're just listening to the death knells of traditional television broadcasts in general.  The future of television will be smart tvs and streaming content providers like the ones you have listed.  Yes, they are limited now, but Netflix especially is picking up their original content game, and when the big providers (soon to be almost entirely Comcast as they are buying Time Warner) will be left struggling in an increasingly unstable market as people gain the ability to pick and choose what they want delivered to them digitally, and what they want to stream, and when they want to do it.  Very similar to the radio-podcast transition that has been discussed widely on this board.  The future of content delivery and availability will be much more consumer friendly, just sometimes waiting is the hardest part.

Quote from: area51drone on April 21, 2014, 10:16:20 PM
I have not kept up on it, but I'm curious how high did the plane go?  There are certainly people who climb Everest without oxygen tanks so it is possible to go very high without an oxygen source.

I'm not sure. Just relaying what the radio news said. The flight was from San Francisco to Hawaii. I guess the kid had some home problems as well so social services placed him in protective custody (not sure of the correct name).

bigchucka

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on April 21, 2014, 10:26:12 PM
anything slaughtered at five weeks of age always tastes better. Tasty Babies...  8)

I'm thinking "suckling pigs" are younger than that.  Thinking Andrew Zimmern said before under 8 lbs. and under 30 days maybe...

Tarbaby

mmmm, I didn't know you humans could hibernate at will. Those sherpaas that got trapped in that avalanche should have done it. Hibernated until the rescue team arrived.

bigchucka

Quote from: bigchucka on March 22, 2014, 03:37:41 PM
She fuckin killed on Last Comic Standing.  Up for elimination against two others and blew em away.  Then she's up against two others, and it happened AGAIN.  At this point, everyone else was afraid to go up against her.... and she won the season.

Her comedy album "Cutting"... I think it could have been better.

Apparently I confused Amy Schumer and Iliza Shlesinger.

Juan

I was scrolling through the thousands of songs in my iTunes and happened to notice one version of Walking Wounded by Everything But The Girl is the Springheel Jack Dub.