• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 21, 2013, 08:54:56 PM
         I started listening to Art in '95 as an escape from shit like the ubiquitious OJ trial, Bosnia or gov't shutdown . The primary purpose of paranormal-themed broadcasting should be giving us a break from the socio-political onslaught, etc.

Quote from: Sardondi on April 21, 2013, 09:44:25 PM
Amen, amen, amen. Which is why even in the days of Art my heart sank when some political activist was on tap. And unfortunately far too many in the paranormal camp also insist on bringing a political message, e.g. Steven Greer and Steven Quayle just to name two of about a hundred. 

Hell yes. And I don't have to believe 1% of what paranormal topics are being discussed, as long as it isn't the depressing stuff we're bombarded with already.

Pragmier

Staying true to the thread title, let's start off the week with a bit of innocuous chatter. God knows we can use the break.

During the AM commute I noticed FORD is making some decent looking autos these days. The Focus is battling Corolla for title of world's best selling car, while domestically it's sales increased dramatically 2011-2012. Good for them; whoever is redesigning the line has done fine work, IMO, because that was a really ugly car.

As usual I had on NPR during the drive, and this morning it featured a coffee piece. Two facts of possible interest to java nerds: Vietnam is the world's 2nd largest producer of coffee (behind clear #1 Brazil), while Scandinavian countries are the largest consumers. They drink, per capita, about 8x the world average and more than twice as much as Americans. Finland is the top consumer and imports almost all of it. Anyone remember when the stuff gave us cancer?

ItsOver

I agree with you about Ford.  The new Fusion looks nice.  I drove a hot, red Focus as a rental last year and thought it drove pretty decently for a small car.  Unfortunately, I've read some gripes about the Focus, such as the transmission, and some issues with the Fusion.  Hopefully, it's just some growing pains with the new designs. 

MV/Liberace!

actually, i've heard recently that the focus in fact is the world's #1 selling car.

if i were to buy a new car today, it would be a ford (for numerous reasons).

ItsOver

MV, I really enjoyed the Focus rental I had for a week last year.  It was hot looking racing red, handled well, and was pretty smooth and quiet for a smaller caller.  It was the hatchback version and it had a decent amount of room.

Sardondi

Quote from: Pragmier on April 22, 2013, 06:43:22 AM...while Scandinavian countries are the largest consumers. They drink, per capita, about 8x the world average and more than twice as much as Americans. Finland is the top consumer and imports almost all of it. Anyone remember when the stuff gave us cancer?

If Scandanavia consumes 8x the world average of coffee, it means they're drinking at least 16x the average number of cups of "coffee", because I have routinely found that coffee made by a Scandinavian is watery, weak, insipid and undrinkable stuff. A light ecru color, you can see through it. Blecch.

And about "stuff that gives us cancer". Haven't you caught on yet? The "science experts" are almost always eventually wrong about foodstuffs. And you can strike "always" when the "experts" making the sky-is-falling announcement are the "Center For Science In The Public Interest", who are simply wrong about everything...which is what happens when your main purpose is political and cultural, not scientific. But it's not just coffee that's off the terror list: alcohol, butter and eggs have all gotten about-faces. And you'll get an argument from a goodly number of scientists that bacon is also just dandy. So have a Bloody Mary with your hearty breakfast, my friend. About the only things which "experts" have told us in the last 50 years were deadly, horrible, not-very-good, and which are today still considered terrible, are cigarettes, lead and asbestos.

Which is why we should take with a grain of salt claims that "the science is settled", which is today more often used as "an argument from authority"...and why we should remember the past.

Frys Girl

Quote from: MV on April 22, 2013, 09:02:29 AM
actually, i've heard recently that the focus in fact is the world's #1 selling car.

if i were to buy a new car today, it would be a ford (for numerous reasons).
Where do you get your avatars? They are hilarious.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on April 22, 2013, 05:44:17 PM
Where do you get your avatars? They are hilarious.

my wife took that one at the wally world a couple months ago when i was buying broth and such.

edit:  oh, and stop disappearing.  something feels odd about the coastgab universe when you do that.

The General

Quote from: MV on April 22, 2013, 09:02:52 PM
oh, and stop disappearing.  something feels odd about the coastgab universe when you do that.
I'll second that.  We missed you FG!

Frys Girl

Quote from: MV on April 22, 2013, 09:02:52 PM

stop disappearing.  something feels odd about the coastgab universe when you do that.
Quote from: The General on April 22, 2013, 09:05:13 PM
I'll second that.  We missed you FG!
Thanks guys! I missed you too!
I promise my disappearance will increase the quality of my participation here. What is wally world? So much to learn.

stevesh

Can anyone tell which is the ventriloquist here ?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on April 23, 2013, 06:30:30 AM
What is wally world? So much to learn.

wally world is what me'n muh freeunds kawl walmart.

BobGrau

A round of applause, please, for my friend B who woke me up to discuss her nipple discharge. Bye bye morning wood.

stevesh

The proper way to eat marshmallows is to set them alight in the campfire so that the outside is blackened and the inside gooey.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: stevesh on April 28, 2013, 04:48:23 PM
The proper way to eat marshmallows is to set them alight in the campfire so that the outside is blackened and the inside gooey.

I agree.

Quote from: stevesh on April 28, 2013, 04:48:23 PM
Unless you have them melt and toasted brown on top of a sweet potato casserole dish at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on April 28, 2013, 07:52:00 PM
Unless you have them melt and toasted brown on top of a sweet potato casserole dish at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner

They're not bad in Rocky Road ice cream either

stevesh

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on April 28, 2013, 07:52:00 PM

I'd rather eat a pizza roll hot from Noory's microwave than a sweet potato, marshmallows or not.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: stevesh on April 29, 2013, 04:31:49 AM
I'd rather eat a pizza roll hot from Noory's microwave than a sweet potato, marshmallows or not.

Amen. Sweet potatoes are disgusting. A potato should not be sweet. At all. I have always avoided them like the plague.

stevesh

The worst possible meal: liver, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts with tapioca for dessert.

Quote from: stevesh on April 30, 2013, 10:40:54 AM
The worst possible meal: liver, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts with tapioca for dessert.

One man`s garbage is another man`s treasure.

Sweet potatoes AND Brussels sprouts are two of my favorite things in the world.

However, liver is the absolute most repulsive culinary mistake in the long history of mankind.

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on April 30, 2013, 10:40:54 AMThe worst possible meal: liver, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts with tapioca for dessert.
Quote from: FightTheFuture on April 30, 2013, 11:08:06 AMOne man`s garbage is another man`s treasure.
Sweet potatoes AND Brussels sprouts are two of my favorite things in the world.
However, liver is the absolute most repulsive culinary mistake in the long history of mankind.

Okay, as a meal...weird. Individually...oh my. I haven't had any liver and onions in perhaps 10 years. I now have a craving. And I'll take stevesh's, too....but give my B sprouts to FightTheFuture.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a completely different topic, out of the blue I remembered the hilarious haiku thread which was revived this past February. I went back to read them again, and tears are streaming down my face I'm laughing so hard. The General in particular was just right on target. http://coastgab.com/index.php/topic,2322.30.html

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on April 30, 2013, 11:48:55 AM
Okay, as a meal...weird. Individually...oh my. I haven't had any liver and onions in perhaps 10 years. I now have a craving. And I'll take stevesh's, too....but give my B sprouts to FightTheFuture.

I'm with you, Sardondi.  Liver and onions can be fantastic but, like many things, it's all in the preparation.  The liver should be fresh calf's liver, NOT overcooked since it should have some pink inside, sauteed in onions.  Overcooking liver turns a treasure into tough, leathery, foul tasting garbage.  Sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts are fine with me, I just wouldn't want them together with liver and onions.  The only other side I'd need with the properly prepared liver and onions would be home made mashed potatoes with some nice brown gravy, made from the leavings of the liver.

MV/Liberace!

the artimus pyle band is more lynyrd skynyrd than today's lynyrd skynyrd is.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on April 30, 2013, 03:21:50 PM
the artimus pyle band is more lynyrd skynyrd than today's lynyrd skynyrd is.

This is true. Today's "Lynyrd Skynyrd" is as much Blackfoot or Johnny Van Zant Band as it is Skynyrd.
       Not that 90% of their concert attendees are even aware of this.

Sardondi

Quote from: ItsOver on April 30, 2013, 02:59:29 PMI'm with you, Sardondi.  Liver and onions can be fantastic but, like many things, it's all in the preparation.  The liver should be fresh calf's liver, NOT overcooked since it should have some pink inside, sauteed in onions.  Overcooking liver turns a treasure into tough, leathery, foul tasting garbage.  Sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts are fine with me, I just wouldn't want them together with liver and onions.  The only other side I'd need with the properly prepared liver and onions would be home made mashed potatoes with some nice brown gravy, made from the leavings of the liver.

Oh my. I do think I might have to sit down. *sigh* But all I have on hand at the moment is bone-in ribeyes, 2 1/2 thick and over a pound-and-a-half apiece. Guess I'll just have to make do. But I am serious: as I feed my hungry body on protein-rich, life-giving steak in an hour or so, I will actually be longing for that nuclear weapon against iron-poor tired blood, calf's liver, cooked just like you say. Oh, those smothered in onions, and the smashed taters 'n gravy. I gotta go start the fire....

eddie dean

the idiocy of people never fails to surprise me.
This guy blew 2600 dollars trying to win an Xbox.
he deserves to be a finalist in the Darwin Awards.

http://www.kpho.com/story/22119620/man-lost-life-savings-trying-to-win-xbox

Eddie Coyle

The dreadlocked banana alone is worth the 26 hundred.

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on April 30, 2013, 04:28:14 PM
Oh my. I do think I might have to sit down. *sigh* But all I have on hand at the moment is bone-in ribeyes, 2 1/2 thick and over a pound-and-a-half apiece. Guess I'll just have to make do. But I am serious: as I feed my hungry body on protein-rich, life-giving steak in an hour or so, I will actually be longing for that nuclear weapon against iron-poor tired blood, calf's liver, cooked just like you say. Oh, those smothered in onions, and the smashed taters 'n gravy. I gotta go start the fire....

Hahahaha... "I feel your pain" over having to settle for those bone-in ribeyes.  ;D   I hope they were most excellent.  I get weak in the knees for any bone-in bovine product... ribeye, T-bone, and, my all time favorite, porterhouse.

I greatly appreciate your dilemma, Sardondi.  Many years ago, I lived in a small midwest city I don't feel the need to name but it has a steakhouse who's reputation ranks it with some of the finer meat-eating establishments across the country, including New York City.  When I had the occasion to frequent the place, I would usually walk in with some prime cut steak on my mind but, sometimes, my eye would be drawn to the calf's liver with onions that was always present on the menu.  Many a time I would have to "cross over" and forego some fine steakery, all for the love of liver cooked to perfection.  :)